View Full Version : Words of Creation: Truenamer Version

Malachei
2012-04-14, 05:40 AM
I was born like this, I had no choice
I was born with the gift of a golden voice
And twenty-seven angels from the Great Beyond
(Leonard Cohen)

Words of Creation (Truenamer Version)
Prerequisites: Int 15, Cha 15, Base Will Save Bonus +5, Truespeak 9 ranks, good alignment
Benefit: You can speak the Words of Creation, a forgotten language that came before Celestial. It is said to form the fabric of the universe, and it cannot be spoken by evil creatures (see Book of Exalted Deeds, chapter 2, for more information on Words on Creation). You can weave the Words of Creation into your utterances.

This allows you to gain one of the following benefits when using an utterance to affect an evil creature:

Reduce Truespeak DC by 5
Increase Save DC by 2
Increase check to overcome SR by 2
For one round, the evil creature suffers a -2 penalty on attack rolls and to AC
Doing so causes you to suffer 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per level of the utterance.

The golden voice also enhances utterances spoken to affect a good creature. You can choose one of the following benefits:

For the duration of the utterance, the good creature gains a +1 sacred bonus on attack rolls, +1 per two levels of the utterance
For the duration of the utterance, the good creature gains a +1 sacred bonus on Saves, +1 per two levels of the utterance
For the duration of the utterance, the good creature gains a +1 dodge bonus on AC, +1 per two levels of the utterance

Doing so causes you to suffer 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per level of the utterance.

.................................................. ...........

With Truenamers being widely considered a rather weak class, is this feat acceptable?

I dislike the good version causing nonlethal damage, as well. Any idea what else could be the side-effect?

RaggedAngel
2012-04-14, 01:28 PM
I'm more than a little biased, but I really like this feat. It seems to do about what the original Words of Creation did for Bards; it lets a weakish support class do more of what they're already doing (in this case, targeted Buffs and Debuffs) for a cost that isn't too serious, but prevents spamming the ability. I like the nonlethal damage as a cost, personally; it isn't debilitating or too significant unless you start overusing the feat, at which point you fall unconcious during a fight.

This does provide more options for a single class than the original feat did, but versatility is one of the things a truenamer really lacks, and a little variety never hurt anything.

Jodah
2012-04-15, 03:24 PM
Thank you for this. I am building a world with non-classic casters only. But, since I am using truenamers, I needed a way to fix this glaring problem with already existent rules. Thank you for giving me a viable feat to use.

Welknair
2012-04-15, 06:13 PM
For balance's sake, perhaps you should make an Evil version as well? It shouldn't be too difficult.

Malachei
2012-04-16, 05:10 AM
Thank you for this. I am building a world with non-classic casters only. But, since I am using truenamers, I needed a way to fix this glaring problem with already existent rules. Thank you for giving me a viable feat to use.

Thank you. :)

For balance's sake, perhaps you should make an Evil version as well? It shouldn't be too difficult.

Excellent suggestion. How do you like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13078370#post13078370)?