PDA

View Full Version : Fighter (Hero of Legend) PEACH

Clawhound
2012-04-17, 02:39 PM
Fighter (Hero of Legend)

Fate loves you, and Fate has destined you to rule men. You shall rise through the battlefield to hold a throne. You will fight terrible monsters. You shall wrestle dragons. You shall survive battles that no mortal should ever survive.

Those around you admire you, respect you, and mabe even fear you. Your strength impresses them, showing others that you are a natural leader.

Fighter, Hero of Legend
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2| Feat Pool (1), Larger Than Life (medium), Shield Stance

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3| Fate Loves the Fearless, Big Man

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3| Expert Armor Fitting, Folklore of Protection (+1), Folklore of Weapons (+1)

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4| Feat Pool (2), Trained for Toughness

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4| Fated for Greatness (1), Grapple This (one handed weapons)

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5| Exotic Weapons (all), Exotic Weapons (all), Large than Life (large), Folklore of Protection (+2), Folklore of Weapons (+2)

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5| Expanded Feat Pool, Larger Than Life (Large)

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6| Master Armor Fitting, Feat Pool (3)

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6| Grapple This (Two-Handed Weapons), Folklore of Protection (+3), Folklore of Weapons (+3)

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7| Fated for Greatness (2), Favored By Fate (1)

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7| Larger Than Life (Huge), Improved Shield Stance

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8| Feat Pool (4), Favored By Fate (2), Folklore of Protection (+4), Folklore of Weapons (+4)

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8| Lord Among Men

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9| Favored By Fate (3)

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9| Larger Than Life (Gargantuan), Folklore of Protection (+5), Folklore of Weapons (+5)

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10| Feat Pool (5), Favored By Fate (4)

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10| Fated for Greatness (3)

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11| Favored By Fate (5)

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11| Larger Than Life (Colossal)

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12| Feat Pool (6), Favored By Fate (6)

[/table]

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills:
Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Int), Ride (?), Sense Motive (Cha), Speak Language, Spot (Int), Survival, Swim (Str)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Feats - Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor, Shields, Simple Weapons (All), Martial Weapons (all)

Feat Pool (Ex) - Once per encounter, as a free action, a fighter may acquire a temporary fighter feat for the duration of that encounter. The fighter may ignore any ability score requirements for the fighter feat, but must meet all other prerequisites for that feat. Feats drawn from the fighter’s feat pool may be used to fulfill prerequisites for other feats drawn from the feat pool. Feats from the pool cannot be used to fulfill prerequisites for non-pool feats. The number of feats that a fighter may use per encounter increases to 2 at 4th level, 3 at 8th level, 4 at 12th level, 5 at at 16th level, and 6 at 20th level.

Larger Than Life (Ex) - Like the heroes of old, you're harder to push around than other mortals. At first level, for purposes of strength and grappling checks, your size is considered medium. At 7th level, this increases to Large, at 11th, huge, and at 15th gargantuan, and at 19th colossal.

Shield Stance (Ex) - You have a very dynamic fighting style and are well able to defend yourself. When you are not flat-footed, your shield can take the place of armor. You lose your shield bonus and gain an armor bonus. A buckler proved a +2 armor bonus, a light shield provides a +4 bonus, a heavy shield provides a +6 bonus, and a tower shield provides a +8 bonus. Any shield enhancement bonuses become armor enhancement bonuses.

Fate Loves the Fearless (Ex) - Starting at 2nd level, a Fighter adds his Strength bonus to his Will saves.

Big Man (Ex) - Powerful warriors have a long history of respect and influence. This is the origin of power politics. Starting at 2nd level, when using Charisma based skills, a Fighter may substitute his Strength bonus for his Charisma bonus.

Expert Armor Fitting (Ex) - Any medium armor that you wear may provide a +5 armor bonus. Any light armor that you wear (including clothing) may provide a +3 armor bonus.

Folklore of Protection (Ex) - You don’t just rely on skill to survive, you rely on luck. You know what items to carry with you on a battlefield that bring luck. You know little rituals that bring luck. Beginning at third level, a fighter gains the benefits of magic vestment.

Folklore of Weapons (Ex) - Winning by skill is good. Having some luck with you doesn’t hurt. You know all the right things to bring you luck in battle. Starting at 3rd level, a fighter gains the numerical benefits of magic weapon on any weapon that he wields. Normal weapons remain non-magical. Masterwork weapons are now treated as magical while wielded by the fighter.

Trained for Toughness (Ex) - All your experiences have made you tougher than a normal person. At 4th level, you gain a +1 bonus to Natural Armor. This bonus increases to +2 at 7th, +3 at 10th, +4 at 13th, and +5 at 17th.

Fated for Greatness (Su) - Beginning at a 5th level, Fate means you to live. Once per day, at any time, even while it’s not your turn, fate intervenes and heals you back up to ½ of your total hit points. This ability even prevents certain and unavoidable death. This ability increases to twice per day at 10th level and three times per day at 17th level.

Grapple This (Ex) - There is one thing a monster must never do. It must never grapple a Fighter or it will rue his fate. Beginning at 5th level, a Fighter may use any one-handed weapon without penalty while grappled, grabbed, or swallowed. At 9th level, a Fighter may use any 2-handed weapon without penalty when grappled, grabbed, or swallowed.

Exotic Weapon (All) - At 6th level, the Fighter becomes proficient in all exotic weapons.

Exotic Armor (All) - At 6th level, the Fighter becomes proficient in all exotic armors and shields (including tower shields).

Expanded Feat Pool (Ex) - Beginning at 7th level, you may now use your feat pool to acquire any feat that you qualify for, but you must also meet the abilities scores for any non-fighter feats.

Master Armor Fitting (Ex) - Any heavy armor that you wear may provide a +8 armor bonus.

Favored By Fate (Su) - Fate is with you and is helping you to win. Starting at 10th level, once per day, at any time, a fighter may ignore any situation, spell or ability used against him or which otherwise acts against his interest. If the effect is continuous, he ignores the effect until the end of the encounter. The uses of this ability increases to twice at 12th level, three at 14th, four at 16th, five at 18th, and six and 20th. As this ability comes from Fate, any conflict between this and any other rules or off-turn actions should resolve in favor of the fighter.

Example: A wizard has used celerity to create an escape using teleport. The fighter swings his sword. Normally, the wizard would teleport away. However, Favored By Fate allows the fighter to ignore its effects as it acts against his own interests, allowing him to strike the wizard before he is able to teleport away.

Improved Shield Stance (Ex) - Your shield may provide an armor bonus even when you are flat-footed.

Lord Among Men (Ex) - Your fame has grown so great that kings treat you as an equal. In any civilized land, you will be received as if you were a king. Most people will call you “Lord” as an honorary title. From here on, your can burst in on kings and demand their attention.

Clawhound
2012-04-17, 02:42 PM
This revision of the fighter class owes its origin to an essay that I wrote exploring the problems with the fighter class. (See the link below in my SIG.) The problems of the fighter are myriad and extensive, and by my analysis, not at all what you think that they are. The most significant problem, in my opinion, did not have to do with rules. The problem had to do with archetype. The fighter class simply did not produce anything resembling the storied archetype of a fighter.

In literature, the hero defeats monsters, which raise his prestige in the society, and eventually that prestige places him in a position of leadership. I decided that I would redesign the fighter class following that classical thread.

I had other choices to make as well. Which problems would I address? Which challenges should a fighter naturally be able to overcome? What are the hidden problems that plague a fighter, and not just the overt ones that everyone talks about? How do you minimize the plague of bad choices and expand flexibility? How can you reduce equipment dependency?

As a challenge, I also wanted to produce a replacement fighter that felt *RIGHT*. This fighter had to fit within the story of what people naturally assume is a fighter. You would say, “Yes, that class could credibly make Beowulf, or King Arthur, or Odysseus.” As a result, I discovered that the fighter was actually a natural face character, and by filling in that role, I made the fighter feel more right. (At least, it feels more right to me.)

Another touchstone that I used was monster fighting. A fighter at level 1 should be swinging a sword. A fighter at level 5 should be wrestling bears for fun. A fighter at level 10 should be able to stop a charging rhino with a strength check. A fighter at level 15 should be able to run across a field of lava unharmed. A fighter at level 20 should be able to carve his way out of a tarrasque using a two-handed sword.

This is my result. I think it should hold up fine in play. The class should not run amuck as overpowered, nor should it strike many DM’s as cheezy. It should be more interesting than a generic fighter. It may even hit Tier 3, although I am not positive of that. Tier 3 is harder to hit than you think.

“Favored by Fate” is clearly the best power that the fighter acquires. It is quite powerful and incredibly flexible. No other class has anything like it. Figuring out what an upper-tier fighter power could be without magic was a challenge. Given the vast amount of magic happening at high levels, even a large number of “get out of jail free cards” will get exhausted pretty quickly. The existence of such cards will encourage fighter to do blatantly dangerous and absurd things, and hey, that’s exactly what high-level fighters are made of.

There may be better ways to pull off some of these ideas. I'm not too happy with the 'magic weapon' hack, and may instead apply the bonus of a fighter's best magic weapon to all other weapons that he wields. He still needs the weapon, but his seldom used weapons would still be highly useful.

FlamingKobold
2012-04-17, 05:56 PM
I don't have much time so I can't give you a full review, but you probably want them to gain gargantuan size before colossal for the Larger than Life class feature. Also remember to note if each abilities is (Ex) or (Su).