PDA

View Full Version : Web Swinging (Need Help) [3.5e & PF]

Milo v3
2012-04-19, 12:43 AM
For my Spider Blood Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240167) Class I am currently adding in a way for him to be able to travel like spider man, but I can't figure out how to finish the ability.

Here it is so far:
Web Sling (Ex): As a move-action a Spider Blood Assassin with this technique can launch a strand of web and use it for travel. When this ability is used the Spider Blood Assassin selects one 5ft area that is at least 10 feet higher than the Spider Blood Assassin's current position, within 50ft, and is in the Assassin's line of sight...
Can anyone help me write this ability?

DonQuixote
2012-04-19, 01:16 AM
Make it function as a grappling hook. Take the Use Rope rules on securing a grappling hook, then the Climb rules for a knotted rope. Allow the character to secure the web and climb it as a part of the same move action.

You might also want to look at the Third Hand ability of the Lasher (Sword and Fist) for related abilities.

Milo v3
2012-04-19, 01:29 AM
Make it function as a grappling hook. Take the Use Rope rules on securing a grappling hook, then the Climb rules for a knotted rope. Allow the character to secure the web and climb it as a part of the same move action.

You might also want to look at the Third Hand ability of the Lasher (Sword and Fist) for related abilities.

That would only allow the person to go up. There aren't any actual swinging rules for grappling hooks or ropes.

masterstalker2
2012-04-19, 01:30 AM
The thing is that for Web Slinging, the Assassin will be shooting web from both hands, sending web to propel him (thing Spider Man).

Milo v3
2012-04-19, 01:33 AM
The thing is that for Web Slinging, the Assassin will be shooting web from both hands, sending web to propel him (thing Spider Man).

Actually it would be producing a single strand and then swinging on it. Spiderman doesn't propel himself with webs, he simply uses momentum.

masterstalker2
2012-04-19, 01:37 AM
Actually it would be producing a single strand and then swinging on it. Spiderman doesn't propel himself with webs, he simply uses momentum.

Yeah, that is actually what I meant, and it makes sense to give the SBA the ability to use two webs for Web Swinging or else it becomes tricky.

Just imagine Spiderman using one hand to shoot webs to help him get around the city, it would look like he's doing the Worm, and that would look ridiculous.

Something that you should add, the SB Assassin must have the first web hit at least X feet above the ground so that a bored player can't use it to scrape his butt along the ground.

Apalala
2012-04-19, 01:42 AM
Do like Mutants and Mastermind and treat Swinging as an alternate mode of transportation, like Flight or Burrowing.

Web Sling (Ex)

The Spider Assassin gains a swinging speed of 40 feet, using web projected from his wrists to latch onto nearby surfaces and propel himself. A creature with a swinging speed may move without touching the ground, climb vertical surfaces at will with no checks required, and can end his turn suspended on a web line.

DonQuixote
2012-04-19, 01:44 AM
That would only allow the person to go up. There aren't any actual swinging rules for grappling hooks or ropes.

Actually...

"Related abilities" include things like "swinging across chasms." Admittedly, said swinging rules are for whips, rather than ropes, but I think you'll find the conversion less than difficult.

masterstalker2
2012-04-19, 01:50 AM
I think that for Web Swinging and Araneae Hand, that, instead of being separate Techniques, that they should be unlocked at level five or six if you have the Silk Weaver technique.

Milo v3
2012-04-19, 01:58 AM
Yeah, that is actually what I meant, and it makes sense to give the SBA the ability to use two webs for Web Swinging or else it becomes tricky.

Just imagine Spiderman using one hand to shoot webs to help him get around the city, it would look like he's doing the Worm, and that would look ridiculous.

Something that you should add, the SB Assassin must have the first web hit at least X feet above the ground so that a bored player can't use it to scrape his butt along the ground.
But you only use one arm at a time. And if you came into contact with the ground I would rule that your swing stops.

Do like Mutants and Mastermind and treat Swinging as an alternate mode of transportation, like Flight or Burrowing.

Web Sling (Ex)

The Spider Assassin gains a swinging speed of 40 feet, using web projected from his wrists to latch onto nearby surfaces and propel himself. A creature with a swinging speed may move without touching the ground, climb vertical surfaces at will with no checks required, and can end his turn suspended on a web line.
How does it work if there isn't anything for the web to connect to. How do you stop players from using this in the empty desert?

Actually...
"Related abilities" include things like "swinging across chasms." Admittedly, said swinging rules are for whips, rather than ropes, but I think you'll find the conversion less than difficult.
I've never read Sword and Fist so I wouldn't know. I was more replying to the grappling hook suggestion.

I think that for Web Swinging and Araneae Hand, that, instead of being separate Techniques, that they should be unlocked at level five or six if you have the Silk Weaver technique.
Silk Weaver was wordy enough, I thought it would be best to have it similar to Grip of the Spider where you can expend extra techniques to improve your ability. Especially since their is a very big difference in "creating a web" and "launching web at a distance and then swinging on it across the land".

Apalala
2012-04-19, 02:04 AM
How does it work if there isn't anything for the web to connect to. How do you stop players from using this in the empty desert?

Well, I did add the "using web projected from his wrists to latch onto nearby surfaces and propel himself." part just for this. But if you want, you can spell it out more clearly. But really, DnD isn't about physics. The GM is free to point out common sense things, otherwise Locate City Nukes and Pun Pun would actually be a problem.

masterstalker2
2012-04-19, 02:05 AM
Well, please have Web Sling and Araneae Hand be the same Technique and be a normal Technique rather than advanced because, as I said in the main thread, wizards can just fly at level 5, and about the web slinging not working in the desert, that was the reason for the gliding.

Milo v3
2012-04-19, 02:13 AM
Well, I did add the "using web projected from his wrists to latch onto nearby surfaces and propel himself." part just for this. But if you want, you can spell it out more clearly. But really, DnD isn't about physics. The GM is free to point out common sense things, otherwise Locate City Nukes and Pun Pun would actually be a problem.
This isn't exactly Physic though, no this is more you can't web sling when there isn't anything for it to attach to.

Well, please have Web Sling and Araneae Hand be the same Technique and be a normal Technique rather than advanced because, as I said in the main thread, wizards can just fly at level 5, and about the web slinging not working in the desert, that was the reason for the gliding.
I'll probably make them one technique. Along with the camoflague one and the Grip of the Spider.

masterstalker2
2012-04-19, 02:16 AM
Thank, oh thank you, but will you make it a normal Technique that can be gained or an advanced technique, I think it should be a normal Technique because of reasons previously stated.

Also, the speed for web swinging should be 50 or 60 feet to match the speed of a horse for the former or the fly spell for the latter.

ericgrau
2012-04-19, 02:47 AM
Web Sling (Ex): As a move-action a Spider Blood Assassin with this technique can launch a strand of web and use it for travel. As part of this action he may move up to 50' in a straight line (as viewed from above). If he is at ground level he must first jump at least 5 feet off the ground (DC 20 or higher, see the jump skill description). This may be done as part of the same move action used to swing but the movement consumes part of the 50'. Each time he uses this ability he must anchor the strand to an object at least 10 feet above him (at least 15' off the ground) and halfway between his current position and new position (as viewed from above). After this movement he ends his turn the same height above the ground. On his next turn he may release the thread as a free action to jump, sling again or to perform some other action.

Milo v3
2012-04-19, 02:59 AM
Web Sling (Ex): As a move-action a Spider Blood Assassin with this technique can launch a strand of web and use it for travel. As part of this action he may move up to 50' in a straight line (as viewed from above). If he is at ground level he must first jump at least 5 feet off the ground (DC 20 or higher, see the jump skill description). This may be done as part of the same move action used to swing but the movement consumes part of the 50'. Each time he uses this ability he must anchor the strand to an object at least 10 feet above him (at least 15' off the ground) and halfway between his current position and new position (as viewed from above). After this movement he ends his turn the same height above the ground. On his next turn he may release the thread as a free action to jump, sling again or to perform some other action.

Thank you this will work perfectly. I'll make sure to give you credit for this ability.