PDA

View Full Version : Developing and Building my Character

Zovc
2012-04-20, 12:23 AM
I want to play a chivalrous, wannabe ladie's man Paladin. One with a strong code of honor--when it comes to women. Lorne might not be the most dedicated Paladin (or, he might not have the most strict Deity), but any time a maiden needs help, he's on the case.

I'm visualizing a human paladin who fights with a polearm. I see him using his Charisma to get him through encounters more than anything else, and could even see him trying to dabble in other classes that could use his charm.

Would an interesting motivation for his chivalry (and potential plot hook) be that Lorne failed to protect/care for a woman he favored/courted/loved?

How much do you think I can ham up Lorne's drive to please the ladies without aggravating the party? "I know we need to do this, guys, but Lady [so-and-so] needs me to...!"

I'm kind of lost because I've never sat down and played 4.0, and this is a really unusual character for me, but he seems like he could be a lot of fun if done well.

Tegu8788
2012-04-20, 06:51 AM
If your group likes to RP, then that is good. If you want to play the character then do. Paladins aren't restricted morally like they used to be, so that helps. Crunch wise, Chaladins are good and can use a polearm, just be prepared to figure out a way to cover weapon and implement costs when magic items come around.

Ashdate
2012-04-20, 08:01 PM
While you could turn "failed to protect/care for a women he favoured/courted/loved" as some backstory, I think it personally be more hilarious if that was just some lie he would use to seduce ladies.

Heck, turn him into a devotee of Sehanine, goddess of love.

WitchSlayer
2012-04-20, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a pretty solid character concept. You may want to consider Bahamut as your god of choice, because he represents nobility, justice and the like and is silent on the matter of romance for the most part, allowing for you to come in conflict with some of the other people in your church.

Zovc
2012-04-20, 09:32 PM
That's a really neat idea, Ashdate! Making the backstory a lie.

Is there a tactful, fun way to make this guy's obsession with the ladies a burden on the party?

What if he can't bring himself to attack a female? What if the female BBEG('s associate?) is at his and the party's mercy? Is there any way to incorporate something like that without being a pain to everyone else at the table?

Tegu8788
2012-04-20, 10:09 PM
Well, if he attempts to smoothly introduce himself and woo every lady he meets, have a couple fights happen in a tavern. Surrounded by wenches, he won't be able to fight. Any fight where he's trying to impress a lady he's busy trying to look good instead of paying attention to the combat, and allowing a simple blow to hit him square in the face. Throw a succubus at him, or a female drow. The drow is it's own story.

But for all the trouble it causes, I'd let it give him some advantages. Maybe he is sooo good at wooing the ladies he can actually turn a monster, and gain a temporary NPC ally. That would bring in a new strategy, how much time is worth it to try and get this girl to help the team, and how much of it is a skill challenge trap to essentially stun the paladin?

WitchSlayer
2012-04-22, 05:31 AM
That's a really neat idea, Ashdate! Making the backstory a lie.

Is there a tactful, fun way to make this guy's obsession with the ladies a burden on the party?

What if he can't bring himself to attack a female? What if the female BBEG('s associate?) is at his and the party's mercy? Is there any way to incorporate something like that without being a pain to everyone else at the table?

Could hit her non lethally, since nonlethal damage, in fact, gives you no negatives to doing it instead of lethal.

Zovc
2012-04-24, 10:41 AM
Could hit her non lethally, since nonlethal damage, in fact, gives you no negatives to doing it instead of lethal.

How do you do nonlethal damage in 4e? Do I just say "I want to do nonlethal damage." before using a power?

Kurald Galain
2012-04-24, 11:12 AM
How do you do nonlethal damage in 4e? Do I just say "I want to do nonlethal damage." before using a power?

After you've already "dropped" your opponent, you can declare whether it was lethal or not (regardless of what power you used to do so). PHB page 295.

Zovc
2012-05-02, 01:15 AM
I've settled on a Charisma-based paladin who wields a polearm (haven't decided which one). Here are the options I've chosen:
Paladin of Sehanine (Unaligned)
Human
10, 12, 10, 10, 12, 18+2 (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha)
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Heal, Insight, Bluff
Lay on Hands
Ardent Strike (Divine Power), Enfeebling Strike, Virtuous Strike (Divine Power)
Valorous Smite (Divine Power)
Majestic Halo (Divine Power)
Moon Touched (Divine Power)
Bardic Dilettante (PHB2)

I've decided that Lorne will do nearly anything as an attempt to earn the love of a woman. Especially one whose love he shouldn't be able to earn (enemy, for example). He'll also go out of his way to rekindle or protect the love of others'. All the while trying to have a good time doing it.

Any suggestions on how to flesh out or justify that?

I'm thinking it could be cool for Lorne to lie about his history, especially as a means of charming ladies, but I feel like that needs explanation. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Akodo Makama
2012-05-02, 02:42 AM
I'm thinking it could be cool for Lorne to lie about his history, especially as a means of charming ladies, but I feel like that needs explanation. Can anyone give me some ideas?

He woo's every lady he can, especially the impossible ones, in a failed attempt to forget, or at least momentarily stop thinking about, the one he failed to save. But, in that love is contained a dangerous secret about his past, so he cannot allow anyone to suspect the real reasons. You see, she turned from him, and he from her, because of a stupid argument. Had he been there, he could have saved her. In his mind, his momentary blind pride is what killed her. So he strives to ensure no one else shares his fate, and thus protects the love others share from their own shortsightedness.

Sort of James Bond meets Hitch Hitchens.

Zovc
2012-05-02, 09:48 AM
He woo's every lady he can, especially the impossible ones, in a failed attempt to forget, or at least momentarily stop thinking about, the one he failed to save. But, in that love is contained a dangerous secret about his past, so he cannot allow anyone to suspect the real reasons. You see, she turned from him, and he from her, because of a stupid argument. Had he been there, he could have saved her. In his mind, his momentary blind pride is what killed her. So he strives to ensure no one else shares his fate, and thus protects the love others share from their own shortsightedness.

Sort of James Bond meets Hitch Hitchens.

That's excellent! Fleshing that out with a story will force me to figure out a lot of incidental stuff, too. Like what he would have an argument about.

I love these forums. :)