PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewed Races - Looking for Critique

Sriseru
2012-04-20, 02:10 PM
I'm working on several races for a D&D 3.5e campaign setting, but since I yet do not have as good of an understanding for the rules as I wish I had, I could really use someone, or some people, to analyze and let me know if these races are balanced, and if not, perhaps give me ideas of how to further balance them.

So these races were built in comparison with races such as dwarves, elves, gnomes, and halflings, races with several abilities.

The names of the homebrewed races are not final, they are just meant to give you an idea of what kind of creatures they are.

Anyway, here they are:

Catfolk
* +4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, catfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A catfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: Catfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions.
* Racial Skills: Catfolk have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Feline.
* Favored Class: Ranger.

Dragonborn
* +2 Strength, +2 Constitution
* Medium: As Medium creatures, dragonborn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A dragonborn's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d6)
* +1 natural armor bonus.
* Weapon Proficiency: Dragonborn recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword and longbow (including composite longbow) as bonus feats.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Draconic.
* Favored Class: Fighter.
* Level adjustment +1.

Dragons
* Large: 10 feet Space, 5 feet Reach (10 feet with bite). As large creatures, dragons have a -1 penalty to their Armor Class and their Attack Rolls due to their size, as well as a -4 penalty on Hide checks, but a +4 bonus on grapple checks, and lifting and carrying limits x2 that of Medium characters.
* Dragon base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision: Dragons can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
* Breath Weapon: A dragon's breath weapon is a line with a length of 5 feet per Hit Die the dragon has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath weapon deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the dragon possesses (2d8 at 3 HD, 3d8 at 6 HD, and so on). The damage is acid, cold, electricity, or fire, depending on the dragon's species. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the dragon's HD + her Con modifier) halves the damage. A dragon can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d6) and bite (1d8)
* +2 racial bonus on saving throws against magic sleep and paralysis effects.
* Wings: Dragons have wings which they may use to aid their jumps (granting a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks) and to glide. Those with 6 HD or more can use their wings to fly.
* Gliding: A dragon can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall from any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Dragons glide at a speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability. Even if a dragon’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding. A dragon can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a dragon becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl, and powerful ligaments stiffen them. The dragon descends slowly in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter the actual distance of the fall.
* Winged Flight: When a dragon reaches 6 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A dragon can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
Dragons can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Dragons are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because dragons can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
When they reach 12 Hit Dice, dragons have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running.
A dragon with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the dragon must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A dragon can only make a dive attack with her claws; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A dragon with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
* Due to their size, being quadrupeds, and because of their nature, Dragons can only use armor crafted for dragons as well as talon weapons. They cannot use mounts, making Ride an inaccessible skill, nor are they able to use their paws for anything requiring fine precision. However, they are proficient with their natural weapons and when taking a class which would grant them proficiency with martial weapons, they gain proficiency with talon weapons instead.
* Favored Class: Any.
* Level adjustment +3.

Gnolls
* +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity
* Medium: As Medium creatures, gnolls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* An gnoll's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision out to 60 feet.
* Weapon Proficiency: Gnolls recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat for the longsword as a bonus feat.
* +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Gnoll.

Goblins
* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma
* Small Size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
* A goblin's base land speed is 20 feet.
* +2 racial bonus on Climb, Move Silently and Ride checks.
* +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
* +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with shortbows (including composite shortbows) and hand crossbows.
* +2 racial bonus on Listen checks: Goblins have keen ears.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Goblin.
* Favored Class: Rogue.

Ogres
* +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
* Large size, -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
* Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
* An ogre's base land speed is 30 feet.
* +1 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Ogre.
* Favored Class: Barbarian.

Orcs (Replaces Half-Orcs)
* +2 Strength, -2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* An orc's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Weapon Proficiency: Orcs recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword and longbow (including composite longbow) as bonus feats.
* +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
* +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with greataxes and greatswords.
* +1 racial bonus to weapon damage.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Orc.

Raptorfolk
* Medium: As Medium creatures, raptorfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Raptorfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: A raptorfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* +1 racial bonus on Balance and Tumble checks.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claw (1d4) and bite (1d6).
* +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with natural weapons and unarmed attacks.
* +1 racial bonus to weapon damage with natural weapons and unarmed attacks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Raptorian.
* Favored Class: Monk.
* Level adjustment +1.

Serpentfolk
* +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution
* Medium: As Medium creatures, serpentfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A serpentfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: A serpentfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks.
* +1 racial dodge bonus to Armor Class.
* +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and magic sleep effects.
* +2 racial bonus on Spot checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Serpentine.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.

Trolls
* +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, trolls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A troll's base land speed is 30 feet.
* +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poison.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Troll.
* Favored Class: Barbarian

If you've come this far and would just give me some constructive criticism, that would be much obliged.
And yes, the monster races seen here are intended to replace the monsters from the Monster Manuals.

SEdmison
2012-04-23, 02:21 PM
Catfolk
* +4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, catfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A catfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: Catfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions.
* Racial Skills: Catfolk have a +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Feline.

This one seems a little off to me. For a race with no level adjustment I'd rather see the ability bonuses add to a net of 0 just to keep people from min-maxing with the race they select. In fact, if I have a race with enough other compelling features, I'll sometimes have a net -2 for ability scores. In any case, when I think of cats, I think not just of low-light vision but also keen hearing. For racial skill bonuses, what about Balance perhaps? (Cats always land on their feet, right?)

Dragonborn
* Medium: As Medium creatures, dragonborn have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A dragonborn's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d6)
* Weapon Proficiency: Dragonborn recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword and longbow (including composite longbow) as bonus feats.
* Level adjustment +1.

How does this compare with the Races of the Dragon version? (I don't have it in front of me right at the moment.)

Gnolls
* Medium: As Medium creatures, gnolls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* An gnoll's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Weapon Proficiency: Gnolls recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat for the longsword as a bonus feat.
* +2 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Gnoll.

Again, a net +4 ability bonus seems pretty beefy for a +0 level adjustment race.

Goblins
* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma
* Small Size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
* A goblin's base land speed is 20 feet.
* +2 racial bonus on Climb, Move Silently and Ride checks.
* +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
* +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with shortbows (including composite shortbows) and hand crossbows.
* +2 racial bonus on Listen checks: Goblins have keen ears.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Goblin.
* Favored Class: Rogue.

This is almost the exact goblin that I have in my campaign, though instead of giving blanket Ride bonuses, I have a separate racial lupine affinity ability giving +2 racial bonuses to Handle Animal and Ride checks pertaining to wargs and dire wolves. This allows for the Lord of the Rings style warg rider, which is good for flavor and to make goblin encounters scale into challenges for higher-level parties.

Ogres
* +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
* Large size, -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
* Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
* An ogre's base land speed is 30 feet.
* +1 racial bonus on Climb and Jump checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Ogre.
* Favored Class: Barbarian.

Do you differentiate ogre magi from regular ogres? The -2 Int might be a drawback for a spellcaster, depending on whether ogre spellcasters are arcane or divine casters (that is, Int-based or Wis-based) in your world.

Orcs (Replaces Half-Orcs)
* +2 Strength, -2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* An orc's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Weapon Proficiency: Orcs recieve the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword and longbow (including composite longbow) as bonus feats.
* +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
* +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with greataxes and greatswords.
* +1 racial bonus to weapon damage.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Orc.

Just for flavor's sake I'd spell out whether that racial bonus to weapon damage is based on their training from a young age, their strength of arm, etc. Yeah, I know, nitpicky fluff stuff, but hey, for some of us that stuff sells it.

Raptorfolk
* Medium: As Medium creatures, raptorfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Raptorfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: A raptorfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* +1 racial bonus on Balance and Tumble checks.
* Natural Weapons: 2 claw (1d4) and bite (1d6).
* +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with natural weapons and unarmed attacks.
* +1 racial bonus to weapon damage with natural weapons and unarmed attacks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Raptorian.
* Favored Class: Monk.
* Level adjustment +1.

How about a -2 Con to represent those fragile hollow bones? Do raptorfolk fly naturally, or do you have racial feats that grant/improve flying?

Serpentfolk
* +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution
* Medium: As Medium creatures, serpentfolk have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A serpentfolk's base land speed is 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: A serpentfolk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* +2 racial bonus on Spellcraft checks.
* +1 racial dodge bonus to Armor Class.
* +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and magic sleep effects.
* +2 racial bonus on Spot checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Serpentine.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.

How do you place these in relation to nagas/yuan-ti/etc.? Do they replace the others?

Trolls
* +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, trolls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* A troll's base land speed is 30 feet.
* +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poison.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Troll.
* Favored Class: Barbarian

What, no fast healing? I'd start them off with fast healing, and then maybe have racial feats that upgrade that to full regeneration. After all, that is one of the signature abilities for trolls.