PDA

View Full Version : Europe RPG Players

Silverlake
2012-04-21, 12:46 PM
Hi,

I live in Europe and am finding it hard to find RPG gamers to play D&D over the net within a time zone friendly to GMT.

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if not please move to the correct forum. That is if this request to find RPG players in Europe is allowed on this site? I hope so, and my apologies if not.

Basically it would be nice to find an online gaming group for D&D or other that plays during GMT friendly hours.

I have had a couple of decades of experience playing D&D through all the versions.

grimbold
2012-04-21, 09:12 PM
i live in paris and would be willing to try a video chat rpg group...

where do you live exactly?

Silverlake
2012-04-22, 12:23 AM
I live in the Czech Republic after moving from the channel islands a few months ago.

dehro
2012-04-22, 10:26 AM
oh, I'm coming to Prague for a weekend, next month.. a stag do, but I plan to do some sightseeing too.
/OT
I wouldn't mind finding an online group of DnD players..I live in Italy
small issue: my netbook is too underpowered to support skype chat (either video or sound only :smallsigh:)
I could play from my PC, which is in my office. this is not as unworkable as it sounds, because my office is in the attic of my dad's place, which is on walking distance from my home. it would all just require a bit of planning, but is eminently doable.

on the plus side, I have all sorts of books of the various Editions of d&d.

on the other side.. I have had, so far, incredibly bad luck when it comes to actual playing and almost all groups that I played with have disbanded because of real life issues..work, people moving away, computer crashes, studies... (never arguments..just conflicting schedules and/or waning of enthusiasm)
this means that despite being involved in the game to some degree for.. almost 20 years, I have actually very little gaming experience and knowledge, in all Editions up to 3.5. I have yet to try my hand at the 4th edition

so... if you feel like holding my hand and guiding me as if I were a total noob, and if work allows for a regular presence (I can make that work), count me in.

Silverlake
2012-04-22, 03:13 PM
I am closer to Olomouc (East Czech) than Prague, but you should have a great time in Prague on that stag party :)

So we have 3 people, that is not a bad start, I will see if I can get any more. Skype could be used as suggested, so could simply a chat room where you type with a dice roller. I have access to a tile based mapping program that is completely web based (so no installation) and very easy to use and does not require a powerful computer, and is free.

For the future there is also this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5-aJLyYUXa0#

Which edition do you guys like to play the most?
I kinda like pathfinder or 2nd edition or AD&D. Castles and Crusades is like a fixed AD&D and is good too. Really I am quite easy as far as system goes.

I can be DM or player, I don't mind really and if this group goes on and on we can all have a go a DM'ing if we wish?

My family commitments keep me busy till about 6:30pm (GMT), but after that I would be reliable one night a week for sure.

All the best,
Jas

Silverlake
2012-04-22, 03:34 PM
Thinking about it, skype does not I think do conference calling without paying for it, so that is out and may require too much bandwidth.

Certainly to start with I would recommend a text chat room with dice roller and web based RPG mapping. Which I have access to both for free.

dehro
2012-04-22, 03:55 PM
Thinking about it, skype does not I think do conference calling without paying for it, so that is out and may require too much bandwidth.

Certainly to start with I would recommend a text chat room with dice roller and web based RPG mapping. Which I have access to both for free.

skype does actually do conferences for free (not sure about video...audio for sure..that's what I used with my last party..a computer ago)
we also used a irc chat room which included a dice roller thinghy for dices..that's as technical as I get in my explanations lol..I do have an (italian) friend in Germany who was the DM and also ran the whole thing. I can see if he's interested either in joining or just point me towards the appropriate tools..but I have the feeling you're as up to date on those as he would be.
anyhoo, let me know.

as for editions... I don't really have a favourite. curious about 4th edition, but I have no problem in remaining curious and doing other stuff instead. pathfinder is a completely new thing to me.

Silverlake
2012-04-23, 12:25 AM
So Skype is an option, good. An audio conference facility would help, although not essential. Video is not important at the moment and could harm the audio quality.

As far as a mapper goes, I would say something web based and quick.
I am thinking either google draw or the mapper here: http://www.pbpmap.com/maps/U0000002M0000003C2394011/map.php

I found another player interested who lives in Germany.

If you guys find any players that would be great.

Pathfinder is so close to 3.5 that it can be hard to see the difference but they do have better balance and it is less broken. The rules are online.

We need to decide on a system, I would play any D&D system certainly. 4th will be like the older systems in a year or two when 5th comes out, but we cannot wait for 5th...

Silverlake
2012-04-23, 12:39 PM
Good news is I now found three other players so that makes a total of six.

I will point them here so we can discuss stuff.

I think one of them mentioned it would have to be a week day which makes sense. So which evening would you prefer ? Or maybe better to say which evening you cannot do...

Rebles
2012-04-23, 03:26 PM
I found another player interested who lives in Germany.

Hiho, thats probably me. *waves*

Just to throw my two cents into the mix, I think we should give Skype a try and if something doesnt work out we can fall back on a chat.
Mapper or google draw would depend on the system (3.5 or 4e would benefit greatly from a map, while older editions are fine without one (dont know about Pathfinder)).

About the system Im not really a fan of the old editions, but I wont veto them if other want to play. I've been meaning to try Pathfinder, so if we do it by vote that would be mine but Im rather flexible (even outside of DnD)

dehro
2012-04-23, 04:12 PM
anything dnd gets my vote, including pathfinder. really no preference at all.
any preference on the time of day/afternoon/night?

Rebles
2012-04-23, 04:27 PM
Considering we are talking about a weekday I would assume late afternoon to midnight^^
At least somewhere around that.
I often get home from work at about 19 (GMT+1) so anything after that would be.. preferable. I could be able to make it an hour earlier depending on the day.

grimbold
2012-04-23, 09:08 PM
ok
i'm pretty much free only friday and saturday night's

and i'll probably play guitar quietly in the background if thats cool with everyone :smallsmile:

Silverlake
2012-04-24, 12:30 AM
So that would narrow it down to Friday evenings.

Friday evenings has the advantage that for most they are not tired at work the next day for playing late, but the disadvantage some people may go out that night. Still I am ok with Friday evenings.

I can do that starting at about 7:30pm (GMT+1) or later if people wish.

So perhaps Pathfinder system with skype and try google draw...

There are two more players I contacted by email and they said they wanted to play, so they need to discuss evening and system too. I have asked them to post here.

dehro
2012-04-24, 02:14 AM
+1 for Friday

Rebles
2012-04-24, 06:12 AM
-1 for friday, thought saturday would be worse

dehro
2012-04-26, 02:20 AM
uhm... are we still doing this?

Rebles
2012-04-26, 06:51 AM
As far as I know we are waiting for the other two players.

Silverlake
2012-04-27, 12:21 AM
I not had any reply from the other two players, perhaps the friday put them off.

Still we can make a go of it with 3 players and I will run a game whenever two players are present.

So friday it is, perhaps starting next friday, not today, next friday.

So for now create a level one pathfinder character please using these rules:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
100 GP, 1 magic item up to 1000gp, max hp first level, 25 point buy for stats.

Any questions will have to wait till Monday as I am off to Olomoucs today and this weekend.

Rebles
2012-04-27, 05:56 AM
Are we playing in the core setting or self made?

dehro
2012-04-28, 06:12 PM
little help anyone?
pathfinder is entirely new to me, and the level of suckage at creating characters I have reached over the years (in DnD) is the stuff of legends.

Rebles
2012-04-29, 03:21 AM
Character creation seems pretty straight forward (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creation)...
If you want some suggestions for some easy but effective classes:

DPS: Zen-Archer(Monk), Sorcerer and Two-Bladed Warrior seem pretty solid.
Support: Cleric and Oracle

As for me I'm either taking a Magus of many-choices (hexcraft) or a Tripster Monk.

Disclaimer: I havent played it either but Im usually pretty good at spotting effective classes.

Edit: Do we get traits? And no 3rd Party stuff I assume?

dehro
2012-04-29, 03:44 PM
the magus looks interesting. my last character was a bladesinger.. I'm thinking I'll go melee..but I'm not sure yet. looking through it.

Silverlake
2012-04-30, 12:39 AM
Are we playing in the core setting or self made?

Anything that is published for pathfinder by Paizo is good, perhaps no class that allows unrestricted special travel like flight at first level. I ran a PBP where one character chose a dragon knight and he can fly unrestricted on his dragon at first level which causes issues on a first level campaign..

It is a homebrew setting and I have pm'd you the details.

Oh also guys please note I had not realised but it is my wifes birthday on friday and her sisters birthday on saturday. So we better leave it anouther week and start friday the 11th may. Gives you more time to make your character too. I do not insist on backgrounds but you are welcome to do one if you wish.

dehro
2012-04-30, 05:39 AM
Oh also guys please note I had not realised but it is my wifes birthday on friday and her sisters birthday on saturday.

good thing you did remember :smallbiggrin:

I like writing backgrounds.. but I'd need to know a little more about the circumstances that bring us together, meaning, how do we all meet? are we in jail, your standard tavern, the army?
any favourites?
btw, I've just realized I've got pdf's of plenty of pathfinders material..so..back to the drawing board with my character.:smallamused:

Rebles
2012-04-30, 07:10 AM
+1 to magical cabal, military, unwanted circumstances (prison, debt)
-1 to tavern, old friends, just a job

Silverlake
2012-04-30, 07:45 AM
good thing you did remember :smallbiggrin:

I like writing backgrounds.. but I'd need to know a little more about the circumstances that bring us together, meaning, how do we all meet? are we in jail, your standard tavern, the army?
any favourites?
btw, I've just realized I've got pdf's of plenty of pathfinders material..so..back to the drawing board with my character.:smallamused:

You should all either be in service or have some strong connection or owe a big favour to "Mr Big" head of the Canadia which is mentioned in the Olokits city details. This is basically how I get you guys formed as a group.

dehro
2012-05-01, 04:50 AM
so, I've got ourselves another recruit. my friend says he's interested.

if I know him a little he'll end up playing a mage of some sort, even though he's looking at a rogue-spy combination of sorts..not sure how..we're both pretty green when it comes to pathfinder.

that said, we're +1

also.. shouldn't we start showing our colours, as far as class preference goes?
we shouldn't all turn up with the same class because we haven't said anything, or things will get difficult from the get go.
I have no problem in filling in a position, picking the appropriate class. usually I pick melee characters and then **** up the PC's creation to a point where I am the first one getting killed..and I end up being useless at long range :smallbiggrin: this time around I wouldn't mind getting through a battle without landing on my back every 2 seconds

Edit: human rogue-spy it is. I myself am looking into half orc-paladins and clerics-like stuff

Silverlake
2012-05-01, 05:41 AM
Thanks for finding the other player. And yes please do share each other characters to avoid too much duplication if you wish.

Should we keep posting in this thread or is there somewhere on this site more appropriate to organise the party?

dehro
2012-05-01, 06:35 AM
Thanks for finding the other player. And yes please do share each other characters to avoid too much duplication if you wish.

Should we keep posting in this thread or is there somewhere on this site more appropriate to organise the party?

I'm thinking this is the wrong section of the forum..there's a gaming dedicated section..maybe have the mods move it that way?

Silverlake
2012-05-01, 07:23 AM
Ok guys please continue the discussion here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13158448##post13158448

Silverlake
2012-05-01, 07:25 AM
Please continue the discussion here :

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13158448#post13158448