PDA

View Full Version : The Mine Craftsman (3.5e Base Class, PEACH)

Tarvon000
2012-04-22, 03:27 PM
The Mine Craftsman

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=minecraft#/d4ckwcx

It is said that there exists a universe apart from the Great Wheel, one governed not by capricious gods and the complex, inconsistent rules of unknown creators, but rather by an endless mechanical intelligence that generates vast worlds of cubes. These rumors are widely disregarded by most, but a few have glimpsed this world through holes in the fabric of reality and been transformed by it. These lucky few are known as the mine craftsmen.

Adventures: Mine craftsmen often become adventurers simply because they rarely feel at home anywhere, their gift having forever tied them to another universe. They may also adventure for any of the reasons that other characters do.

Characteristics: Mine craftsmen can quickly mine and place cubes of material, allowing them to create, destroy, or rearrange large structures and land formations in minutes or seconds. They are also highly capable melee combatants, combining the raw power of a fighter with magically enhanced reach and, at higher levels, the ability to trap enemies under blocks of material.

Alignment: Because of the rigid, mechanical structure of the world mine craftsmen gain their powers from, most of them tend toward law, but it is possible for a mine craftsman to be of any alignment. Because of the total lack of a system of morality in the world they gain their powers from, mine craftsmen tend toward neutrality on the good-evil axis.

Religion: Mine craftsmen rarely worship a deity, as such beings have no place in the universe that has transformed them into what they are now. In the rare case that a mine craftsman does have a patron deity, it is usually Fharlanghn, god of roads.

Background: As mentioned above, all mine craftsmen gain their power from glimpsing a mysterious world of cubes through a hole in the fabric of reality. Such holes usually form as a result of a disastrous magical experiment, although some occur naturally or for other reasons.

Races: Individuals of any race can become mine craftsmen; no particular race is better at looking through a hole in reality than any other.

Other Classes: Mine craftsmen are generally disliked by druids and other nature-based classes, who view the perfect cubes generated by their various powers as distastefully unnatural. Other classes see no particular reason to like or dislike mine craftsmen, although divine spellcasters often feel somewhat uncomfortable around them without really knowing why.

Role: Mine craftsmen can use many of their abilities to great effect as battlefield controllers, but the short range of these abilities, combined with their high hit points and attack bonus, make mine craftsmen equally useful as melee combatants. Their cubecrafting ability and high Intelligence scores give mine craftsmen a slight utility role as well by enabling them to easily craft mundane items.

Adaptation: Mine craftsmen do not have to be transformed by another universe to work in a campaign. They could simply be magically enhanced warrior-miners of some sort. Alternatively, the world they gain their power from could be a part of the Great Wheel, perhaps a demiplane or an area of Mechanus or the Outlands.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Mine craftsmen have the following game statistics.

Abilities: A high Constitution score enables mine craftsmen to sustain more nonlethal damage from mining and also supports their role as close-range combatants. Intelligence improves their crafting ability and makes it harder for their enemies to evade their more offensive class features. Strength and Dexterity further a mine craftsman’s martial capabilities.

Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d10.

Starting Age: Simple.

Starting Gold: 2d4×10 gp.

{table=head]
Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +2 | +0 |
Cubecrafting, improved reach 5 ft., mine cube, place cube, store cube |
2nd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0 |
Bonus feat |
3rd | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1 |
Falling cube |
4th | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 |
Cubecrafting (two cubes) |
5th | +5 | +4 | +4 | +1 |
Mine cube (stone) |
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +2 |
Bonus feat, place cube (two cubes) |
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +2 |
Baleful placement, improved reach 10 ft. |
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +6 | +2 |
Cubecrafting (three cubes) |
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +3 |
Mine cube (iron) |
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +7 | +3 |
Bonus feat |
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +7 | +3 |
Floating cube |
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +8 | +4 |
Cubecrafting (four cubes), place cube (three cubes) |
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +8 | +4 |
Improved reach 15 ft. |
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +9 | +4 |
Bonus feat |
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +9 | +5 |
Baleful placement (stone) |
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +10 | +5 |
Cubecrafting (five cubes) |
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +10 | +5 |
Mine cube (any material) |
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +11 | +6 |
Bonus feat, place cube (four cubes) |
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +11 | +6 |
Baleful placement (iron), improved reach 20 ft. |
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +12 | +6 |
Quick mining[/table]

Class Skills
The mine craftsman’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the mine craftsman.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Mine craftsmen are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the battleaxe, handaxe, heavy pick, light pick, longsword, short sword, and shortbow. Mine craftsmen are proficient with light and medium armor, but not with shields.

Improved Reach (Su): Because of the limited range of their abilities, all mine craftsmen learn how to magically increase their reach. At 1st level, and every six levels thereafter (7th, 13th, and 19th), a mine craftsman’s reach increases by 5 feet. This does not cause the mine craftsman to threaten additional squares based on his increased reach.

Mine Cube (Ex): All mine craftsmen know how to quickly and efficiently mine the materials that they need. At 1st level, a mine craftsman can mine one 5-ft. cube of any material with hardness 5 or less within reach of him as a full-round action. Once mined, the cube enters his extradimensional storage space (see Store Cube, below). If the mine craftsman uses a weapon or tool appropriate to the task, it takes him only a standard action to mine the material this way. Despite its efficiency, mining cubes is physically tiring, and each time a mine craftsman mines a cube of any material with hardness 5 or less, he takes 1 point of nonlethal damage.

At 5th level, a mine craftsman can mine one 5-ft. cube of any material with hardness 10 or less within reach of him as a full-round action, but only if he uses a weapon or tool appropriate to the task. If he uses a masterwork version of the weapon or tool, it takes him only a standard action to mine the material this way. Each time a mine craftsman mines a cube of any material with hardness 6 to 10, he takes 2 points of nonlethal damage.

At 9th level, a mine craftsman can mine one 5-ft. cube of any material with hardness 15 or less within reach of him as a full-round action, but only if he uses a masterwork weapon or tool appropriate to the task. If he uses an adamantine version of the weapon or tool, it takes him only a standard action to mine the material this way. Each time a mine craftsman mines a cube of any material with hardness 11 to 15, he takes 3 points of nonlethal damage.

At 17th level, a mine craftsman can mine one 5-ft. cube of any material with a hardness score within reach of him as a full-round action, but only if he uses an adamantine weapon or tool appropriate to the task. Each time a mine craftsman mines a cube of any material with hardness 16 or more, he takes 5 points of nonlethal damage.

Store Cube (Su): All mine craftsmen have an extradimensional space in which they can store the cubes they mine. Whenever a mine craftsman mines a 5-ft. cube of anything with his Mine Cube class feature (see above), he can put it into his extradimensional storage space as a free action. A mine craftsman’s storage space can hold no more than four 5-ft. cubes per mine craftsman level at one time—any excess cubes are destroyed.

Cubecrafting (Ex): Mine craftsmen can use the cubes stored in their extradimensional space to easily craft mundane items. When crafting any item made mostly or entirely out of one or more specific materials, a mine craftsman can use one cube of each of those materials to gain a +2 circumstance bonus on the Craft check to make the item and reduce the cost in raw materials to make it by 10%.

At 4th level, a mine craftsman can use two cubes of each material to gain a +4 circumstance bonus on the Craft check to make an item and reduce the cost in raw materials to make it by 20%.

At 8th level, a mine craftsman can use three cubes of each material to gain a +6 circumstance bonus on the Craft check to make an item and reduce the cost in raw materials to make it by 30%.

At 12th level, a mine craftsman can use four cubes of each material to gain a +8 circumstance bonus on the Craft check to make an item and reduce the cost in raw materials to make it by 40%.

At 16th level, a mine craftsman can use five cubes of each material to gain a +10 circumstance bonus on the Craft check to make an item and reduce the cost in raw materials to make it by 50%.

Place Cube (Su): As a swift action, a mine craftsman can place any cube from his extradimensional storage space onto a solid surface within reach of him. At 6th level, and every six levels thereafter (12th and 18th), the mine craftsman can place an additional cube, but all cubes placed must be of the same material.

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level, and every four levels thereafter (6th, 10th, and so on), a mine craftsman gets a bonus feat of his choice for which he meets the prerequisites.

Falling Cube (Su): At 3rd level, a mine craftsman that places a cube of gravel, mud, or sand with his Place Cube class feature (see above) can choose not to place the cube on a solid surface. If he does, the cube immediately falls, dealing 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per 10 feet of the fall to anything beneath it (maximum 1d6 per class level of the mine craftsman). A Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the mine craftsman’s class level + the mine craftsman’s Intelligence modifier) negates the damage and moves the creature that succeeded on the save 5 feet away from the path of the cube in a direction of its choice. (If there is nowhere for the creature to move to, the save automatically fails). A creature that fails its save is pinned beneath rubble (see the earthquake spell) but can make a DC 15 Strength check or a DC 15 Escape Artist check to free itself as a full-round action.

Baleful Placement (Su): At 7th level, a mine craftsman that places a cube of any material with hardness 5 or less with his Place Cube class feature can choose to place the cube in a space occupied by a creature. If he does, the cube deals 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per two class levels of the mine craftsman. A Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the mine craftsman’s class level + the mine craftsman’s Intelligence modifier) negates the damage and moves the creature that succeeded on the save 5 feet away from the cube in a direction of its choice. (If there is nowhere for the creature to move to, the save automatically fails). A creature that fails its save is pinned beneath rubble (see the earthquake spell) but can make a Strength check or Escape Artist check (DC 10 + the hardness of the material the cube is made of) to free itself as a full-round action.

At 15th level, a mine craftsman can use his Place Cube class feature to place a cube of any material with hardness 10 or less in a space occupied by a creature. At 19th level, a mine craftsman can use his Place Cube class feature to place a cube of any material with hardness 15 or less in a space occupied by a creature.

Floating Cube (Su): At 11th level, a mine craftsman that places a cube of any material other than gravel, mud, or sand with his Place Cube class feature can choose not to place the cube on a solid surface. If he does, the cube does not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity.

Quick Mining (Ex): At 20th level, a mine craftsman can mine materials with his Mine Cube ability as a standard action if it would otherwise take a full-round action, or as a move action if it would otherwise take a standard action.

New Feat
IMPROVED CRAFTING [GENERAL]
You can craft many kinds of mundane items, and even a specific magic item.

Prerequisite: Cubecrafting class feature.

Benefit: You gain a number of skill points equal to 3 + your character level. These skill points must be spent on Craft skills. In addition, select one item of your choice from among the following options. You can craft this item using any Craft skill.

Bed of Daylight: This small wooden bed has woolen sheets. It is impossible to sleep in during the day. However, anyone in the bed at night immediately falls asleep and wakes up 1 round later, fully rested as if he had slept for the entire night. During this short sleep, an intangible glowing square appears in the sky, shedding light as bright as full daylight in a 1-mile radius for 8 hours or until dispelled. Creatures that take penalties in bright light also take them while within the radius of this magical light, and even creatures that are damaged or destroyed by bright light treat this light as the equivalent of daylight. This light also dispels any darkness spell of 4th level or lower. The bed can only be used once per night. You must be at least 7th level to select this item.

Moderate evocation; CL 7th; Craft DC 18; Price 16,000 gp; Weight 150 lb.

Nether Portal: This rectangular frame is made of pure obsidian and measures 15 feet high and 10 feet wide. Two Medium or smaller creatures can fit through it. When set on fire, the frame is filled permanently with a swirling purple liquid and becomes a portal to a randomly determined evil-aligned Outer Plane. You must be at least 15th level to select this item.

Strong conjuration [evil]; CL 15th; Craft DC 30; Price 75,000 gp; Weight 6,000 lb.

Table of Enchantment: Anyone sitting at this diamond-encrusted wooden table is treated as having the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat if he does not already have it. Additionally, the gp cost to enchant any weapon or armor while sitting at the table can be reduced using the Cubecrafting class feature. You must be at least 15th level to select this item.

Strong (no school); CL 15th; Craft DC 28; Price 100,000 gp; Weight 100 lb.

Normal: Without this feat, you cannot craft any of the above items.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new item.

Sodalite
2012-04-22, 06:23 PM
This is quite amusing! It would also be pretty cool if you could add in some stuff for specific items you can make with Cubecrafting, like enchanting tables that decrease the cost of enchanting items, or a bed that can summon daylight, though making a permanent gate to the Abyss out of just obsidian, iron, and flint could be a little over the top. Also, some WonderCraft fan-art may be appropriate for a picture, though I don't have any specific suggestions.

Edit: I would also suggest that you clarify whether or not Improved Reach effects what spaces you threaten.

Ziegander
2012-04-22, 06:39 PM
This is a very cool class. I was impressed with how well put together everything was. Not sure on the power level of the class, but at least it does have interesting tricks. One thing I was confused about:

At 17th level, a mine craftsman can mine one 5-ft. cube of any inanimate, nonmagical solid material within reach of him as a full-round action, but only if he uses an adamantine pick of any kind. Each time a mine craftsman mines a cube of adamantine or of any material other than dirt, metal, mud, sand, stone, or wood, he takes 5 points of nonlethal damage.

If it's not dirt, metal, mud, sand, stone, or wood, then what is it? Diamond? Technically that's stone by another composition. Not sure how practical this ability is.

Another thing I thought would be helpful, and very useful, would be to allow the Mine Craftsman to place multiple cubes at a time as he gains levels with his Place Cube, Falling Cube, Baleful Placement, and Floating Cube abilities. That way he can create Area of Effect terrain alteration on the fly and build things (from cubes anyway) very quickly.

bobthe6th
2012-04-22, 06:53 PM
heh, that is what I have to say, heh.

needs the abilaty to make gates at some rather high level(say 18)...

Tarvon000
2012-04-22, 09:28 PM
This is quite amusing! It would also be pretty cool if you could add in some stuff for specific items you can make with Cubecrafting, like enchanting tables that decrease the cost of enchanting items, or a bed that can summon daylight, though making a permanent gate to the Abyss out of just obsidian, iron, and flint could be a little over the top. Also, some WonderCraft fan-art may be appropriate for a picture, though I don't have any specific suggestions.

Good idea. I think I'll add a feat that allows mine craftsmen to make those items, as right now the bonus feats seem a bit out of place.

Edit: I would also suggest that you clarify whether or not Improved Reach effects what spaces you threaten.

Good catch! Fixed.

This is a very cool class. I was impressed with how well put together everything was. Not sure on the power level of the class, but at least it does have interesting tricks. One thing I was confused about:

If it's not dirt, metal, mud, sand, stone, or wood, then what is it? Diamond? Technically that's stone by another composition. Not sure how practical this ability is.

The problem is that D&D has many more materials than Minecraft, and I think the mine craftsman should be able to mine through the evil necromancer's castle of bones or the white dragon's icy lair.

Another thing I thought would be helpful, and very useful, would be to allow the Mine Craftsman to place multiple cubes at a time as he gains levels with his Place Cube, Falling Cube, Baleful Placement, and Floating Cube abilities. That way he can create Area of Effect terrain alteration on the fly and build things (from cubes anyway) very quickly.

This is a great idea. I'm not sure at what level I should place it though.

heh, that is what I have to say, heh.

needs the abilaty to make gates at some rather high level(say 18)...

I can probably find a way to add that to feat I mentioned above.

Amechra
2012-04-22, 11:34 PM
So, with Place Cube, can you build a cube off a wall?

Because to stay close to the source material, you would need to.

Anyway, I like it, a lot.

I would actually suggest that, with Cubecrafting, they can choose to either have the % reduction in costs or a set GP reduction, whichever would be higher, so that they can craft, say, a Pick for free by just expending cubes.

Just add in a note that stuff built in this way is not able to be sold (for whatever reason you want), and you are set.

Ziegander
2012-04-23, 12:29 AM
The problem is that D&D has many more materials than Minecraft, and I think the mine craftsman should be able to mine through the evil necromancer's castle of bones or the white dragon's icy lair.

Ah, I suppose that's a fair point, but then, instead of doing it by material type, why not divide it by degrees of hardness? At 1st level he can mine anything with a hardness of 5 or fewer, At 5th level, hardness 10 or fewer; 9th level, hardness 15; and 17th level, hardness 20+. Or something like that anyway. Using hardness seems a lot less arbitrary and a lot more inclusive of various material types.

This is a great idea. I'm not sure at what level I should place it though.

Why not allow him to Place Cubes at the same rate he is able to utilize more cubes with Cubecrafting, so that at 4th level he can Place two cubes, at 8th level he can Place three cubes and so on?

Tarvon000
2012-04-23, 09:38 AM
So, with Place Cube, can you build a cube off a wall?

You can at 11th level.

I would actually suggest that, with Cubecrafting, they can choose to either have the % reduction in costs or a set GP reduction, whichever would be higher, so that they can craft, say, a Pick for free by just expending cubes.

Just add in a note that stuff built in this way is not able to be sold (for whatever reason you want), and you are set.

Hmmm . . . I'll have to think about that one. I had a reason for making it a percentage like I did, but I can't remember it now.

Ah, I suppose that's a fair point, but then, instead of doing it by material type, why not divide it by degrees of hardness? At 1st level he can mine anything with a hardness of 5 or fewer, At 5th level, hardness 10 or fewer; 9th level, hardness 15; and 17th level, hardness 20+. Or something like that anyway. Using hardness seems a lot less arbitrary and a lot more inclusive of various material types.

Another great idea! I'll change it as soon as I have the time. Edit: Done!

Why not allow him to Place Cubes at the same rate he is able to utilize more cubes with Cubecrafting, so that at 4th level he can Place two cubes, at 8th level he can Place three cubes and so on?

Up to six cubes per round seems a bit much. And it reminds me of the beholder mage *shudder* Maybe every 6 levels?

Edit: Changed it to every six levels, but I'm still unsure about it. Four cubes per round means the Baleful Placement ability can deal up to 2d6 damage per Mine Craftsman level as a swift action and get four creatures out of combat for at least 1 round each.

Tarvon000
2012-05-09, 07:11 PM
Still no comments? Did I somehow kill interest in my own thread?

Anyway, bump on account of added fluff and several changes to the class itself, plus a WIP feat. I would also like to know whether or not the class is Tier 3, and, if not, how I can fix it.

toapat
2012-05-09, 07:14 PM
its moreso the problem that the minecraft character who is a Physical god, can be reasonably expected to get alot of comments. its a fun class, just strange as hell in actual DnD terms.

The Bandicoot
2012-05-09, 08:04 PM
Mind if I nab this and try to convince my DM to let me play it? I think a few level dip in it could be interesting.

masterstalker2
2012-05-10, 12:20 AM
I've realized a problem with store cube, it goes like this *gets a cube of dirt and starts shoving stuff into it and puts it into the extra-dimensional space* or *grabs a chest, stores items inside it, along with cubes, and stores it into extra-dimensional space*

Dumorimasoddaa
2012-05-10, 05:52 AM
Question: Does the Table of Enchantment table lower the coast for GP, XP or both?

Even requiring a lvl 16 "dip" one could make a nasty Artificer with the 4 reaming levels. Though it would work much better with a gestalt build but every thing works much better with a gestalt build these days...

Tarvon000
2012-05-10, 09:36 AM
its moreso the problem that the minecraft character who is a Physical god, can be reasonably expected to get alot of comments. its a fun class, just strange as hell in actual DnD terms.

Could you please clarify what you mean by ths?

Mind if I nab this and try to convince my DM to let me play it? I think a few level dip in it could be interesting.

Sure you can! Why post a class if you don't want it to be played? Anyway, if your DM does let you dip the class, please tell me how it goes.

I've realized a problem with store cube, it goes like this *gets a cube of dirt and starts shoving stuff into it and puts it into the extra-dimensional space* or *grabs a chest, stores items inside it, along with cubes, and stores it into extra-dimensional space*

Only the cube gets mined, not the stuff inside it. And chests can't be mined (although I do plan to add a minecraft-esque chest to the items that can be created with the Improved Crafting feat).

Question: Does the Table of Enchantment table lower the coast for GP, XP or both?

Only the gp cost is lowered.

Table of Enchantment: Anyone sitting at this diamond-encrusted wooden table is treated as having the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat if he does not already have it. Additionally, the gp cost to enchant any weapon or armor while sitting at the table can be reduced using the Cubecrafting class feature. You must be at least 15th level to select this item.