PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] Some campaign setting details.

Roxxy
2012-04-24, 03:01 PM
I'm still working on my homebrew campaign setting, but now that I'm in Job Corps I have less time overall to do so, as well as limited computer access to type up my work. As such, I don't have a detailed description to offer. I have, however, been writing a lot of notes as ideas come to me, and I have a relatively useable patchwork of ideas to share with you all. I hope you will look over it and give some feedback.

The basic premise is that of a medium to high magic world in which guns and vehicles have replaces armor, swords, and horses. Steam power and electricity are the primary forms of energy, but I would hesitate to call this world Steampunk, as the setting's punk elements are largely segregated to a couple regions of the world.
For an artistic style, I'm using elements ranging from the 18th century to the modern day. To clarify, some 18th century clothing and architectual styles are common in many areas, as are 19th century and early 20th century styles and some modern ones (specifically, those involving t-shirts and denim). At the same time, some more modern influences, mostly in Goth, Hippy, and Metal culture and music, are very much present. This kind of mash-up isn't too different from Golarion, considering the level of decade/century style and cultural dissonance to be seen in that particular setting.

The basic themes of the world are the decline of aristocracy and rise of populism, large scale scientific and magical advances and the rush to advance even further, and the desire to reconcile the high level of usefulness of magic with the massive threat it's misuse can present.

When it comes to technology, both science and magic play a large part. Magic is not uncommon, and is very often used to allow technology to do more and better things that it could do by itself.

The main weapons of the setting are firearms. Semiautomatic rifles are the most common, behind revolvers, large fixed machine guns, and submachine guns. All firearms fire caseless ammunition, where magic is used to fuse gunpowder into a solid and then fuse it to the bullet and primer. Revolvers and rifles are highly common, machine guns are common or not depending on who you are dealing with, with them being mostly in the hands of the military or extremely well funded pirates, rebels, or organized criminals. Submachine guns are around, but a workable solution to recoil and weight issues has yet to be found, making their utility somewhat limited. The appearance of firearms varies by the culture of the designer and what is seen as attractive, effective, or ergonomic. Some look decidedly realistic, others like something out of fantasy (which they are).

In the transportation sector, trains are the preferred ground transportation. Horseless carriages and bicycles have been invented, but they are not cheap or simple to purchase, operate, or maintain, and are still highly experimental and not yet common sights. Airships are common, and airplanes common for certain tasks. Water ships are also common, with submarines being in existence and use. Airships are preferred for speed, ability to fly over obstacles and land, and ability to gain altitude over the enemy in a fight, but they cannot compete with water ships for cargo capacity, staying power in a fight, armament, and resistance to poor weather. Both types of ship are common, but for different tasks. WW1 style tanks do exist.

For communication, the wireless telephone is the primary method, including portable models. Radio and music storage devices are also popular. The visual telephone and television are both very new technologies, and not yet universal. The telegraph is available, but somewhat obsolete. Photography is pretty common.

Power is provided by steam engines, which usually use kerosene or a similar fluid to heat a specially designed alchemical compound that acts like water with a lower boiling temperature. Electricity, usually generated by wind, water, or steam, is commonly used, as is natural gas, usually methane, ethane, or, most commonly, a blend. Kerosene is also used rather commonly.

Thanks to industrialization, food is beginning to be grown on a large scale and moved around the world. This shift from local to mass agriculture is very far along, though not complete or total. Preservation is usually done by freezing, salting, dehydration, or canning, and in many areas you can get foods from all over the world.

Medical technology is fairly good. The causes and effective treatments of disease are understood, and internal surgery is an effective possibility. Drugs are available, though they are still relatively new, and not all of them actually work.

All of the main races of this world are considered to be humans. These races, with the exception of dwarves and the partial exception of orcs, tend to live together in multiracial communities, not segregated into their own communities. Hair color, eye color, and height vary by race, but skin color and body shape is generally the same range for all races except orcs and elves.

Magni: The merchants and experimenters of the world, they look at lot like real people do. They practically run the economy of the world, what with their almost instinctive reactions to current trends and very clever inventions. They are a major player in scientific and magical advancement as a result of this inventiveness, and their ability to go and sell these inventions does nothing but help them with this.

Divni: Historical, magical, natural, and cultural scholars and storytellers without peer, the divni must drink blood (not necessarily human blood, though) to compensate for a deficiency in their bodies, and possess fangs to facilitate this. They aren’t vampires, though a great many similarities are there and vampires do have a rather large part in their own culture. They look like magni do, except red hair, of all shades, is by and far the most common hair color alongside black. They have the highest rate of cross-breeding with non-humans of any race do to their scholarship in magic and nature, and this has given them the highest number of sorcerers of any human race, and they were once the only race that could come anywhere near elves in magical power.

Elves: Elves are the most aristocratic and magically skilled race. They were once far more magically powerful than the other races, as the gods gave them this power to allow them to serve as the leaders of humanity. During this period, only divni sorcerers could come close to elves in power, and even they were outclassed. However, the elves abused this power too greatly, and the gods gave the other human races access to their magical powers in response. Now elves have lost their leadership position, and stand as a proud but somewhat repentant race. They are aristocratic, artistic, and still skilled in magic, though their magical skill is now the result of a cultural love of practice rather than gods-given superiority. Elves are, on average, 1 to 3 inches shorter than magni, with pointed ears that rotate and move up and down with their moods like a cat’s, and some elves have colorful stripes or spots on their bodies. Scalp and pubic hair is the only hair they possess, and it is usually white, black, or a bright shade of almost any color of the rainbow. Their eyes have the same available shades as their hair, and about one in three elves has a form of heterochromia, usually complete or central.

Dwarves: The dwarves are a race obsessed with both skilled construction and inventive architecture. They prefer to live in areas that present an architectural challenge, such as underground, on steep mountainsides, in forest canopies, on giant city-ships, and in many other places. They are a hardworking and community-centric people, and tend to treat other human races with neutrality except for the purposes of trading and common defense. They also have a good deal of understanding of the natural world, being very skilled biologists and geologists. They do share governments with other human races instead of having their own, but they tend to have their own separate communities. They are generally about 4 to 6 inches shorter than magni, with hair in earthy, sea-like, metallic, or gem-like tones, and eye colors of about the same range.

Orcs: Orcs are the only human race not created by the gods. Instead, they were created by the Fey to serve as a race of slave warriors to throw at humanity. The orcs were created too humanlike to be controlled, however, and they entered into a very violent conflict with the Fey over their place in society. This conflict, only recently cooled down, has colored orcish history a great deal. The war consumed the race so much that everybody trained for combat from a young age and then put their entire life towards the war effort. Now that the Fey have partially given up on subjugating them things are much better, but the orcish culture still maintains it’s martial focus. Historically orcs have lived in fortified wilderness communities, but in the modern day a great many are moving into communities of other human races, hoping for a more fruitful life than the subsistence living they have historically had. Orcs are, on average, 1 to 3 inches taller than magni, with skin in pale or dark earthy tones and the same range of hair and eye colors as magni.

These are the nations I’m so far focusing on. All I have at the moment is lists of ideas, so these are more rough concepts than fully fleshed places at the moment. Some of the details may seem a bit random, since many are ideas for cultural quirks I wrote down over the course of the days. The setting is one large continent, with islands to either side. I currently lack time (Job Corps), so info on some of the countries will have to be posted later. I’d like opinions on what I have so far, though.

Kokura: Kokura is a very large group of islands at the western end of the campaign setting, colonized first from the east and then the west. They have a reputation as laid back, mellow individuals, yet they are also armed with one of the best navies in the world, which may be why they can afford to be so laid back and mellow all the time. The population has something of an obsession with surfing, the national sport, which is taken from native practices. They are known for being somewhat egalitarian, with little aristocracy to speak of. This goes so far that in the military officers and enlisted eat and sleep together, not separate, and anybody of a higher rank is saluted and called sir/ma’am, regardless of whether enlisted or officer.

Vinland: Vinland is three large islands and some smaller islands off to the northeast of the campaign setting, and was the first area to be colonized in the setting, having been discovered and settled by Vikings from the west decades before any other part of the setting was colonized. It is a cold and harsh mountainous land, plagued by storms and frost giants, but the Vinlanders love it dearly. They are a strong, hardy, and honorable people. One thing they are known for is the practice of arming prisoners condemned to death, thinking it shameful to force someone to die without a fight. This practice kills many law enforcement officers, but they believe the honor inherent in it is worth it.

Morovia: Located in the midwest of the setting, Morovia has a culture based strongly off of modern Goth/Metal culture. It is a land plagued by problems of damaging misuse of magic, and is especially well known for it’s problems with undead and rogue spellcasters. It’s citizens live a life of constant vigilance as a result, and the Morovian government is in a constant state of war with internal threats. It is a very strictly run dictatorship, as they believe it takes a great deal of authority to handle such major threats to the people. Morovia has a cold/mild climate up north and mild/hot climate down south.

The Baronies: This hot, arid land in the setting’s southwestern frontier at one point formed what was supposed to be a new empire, but do to a lack of a solid economy it fractured quickly. Now the scattered baronies are constantly bickering over control of the land, with no central authority existing. This is a wild land, with personal strength and courage being the law.

Vendalia: Details Later.
Mastiza: Details later.
Chendi: Details Later.
Leontiny: Details later.
Alexa: Details later.
Varnen: Details later.

I know it's kind of a mess, but I'd still like thoughts on what I have, I'd also like some suggestions on what information you want to see next, since I'm a little short on direction right now.

Roxxy
2012-04-25, 11:00 AM
Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Q1bdslox1xiTgid7d5aZ1jY2D-vFXlgn2oCqYjhRhs/edit) are the prototype firearm rules.

All Core, APG, UC, and UM classes are allowed except the Gunslinger, Druid, Cavalier, and Monk. The Gunslinger is redundant in a setting where everybody has a gun, the Druid is just too reliant on melee, and the Monk is too reliant on melee. Cavaliers represent a fighting style that's just too antiquated, and they just aren't a fit too the setting. Cavalier TYPE people exist, but they don't fight like Cavaliers do. Most are pilots. Cavalry is for scouting and skirmishing these days, not head on charges that a well placed machine gun would mulch.

I use this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1thLs3y-i67bHzeJCJUr_afBpAFWHeKTyLGqCfjn8GjY/edit) version of the Fighter, which borrows from both the vanilla Fighter and the Gunslinger. I like it, but feel free to critique, especially when it comes to balance issues.

Though the Druid class is banned, Druids do exist in the setting. They just don't take levels in a class called Druid. They are mostly Clerics or Rangers. A Cleric with the Animal, Plant, Earth, Air, Water, Fire, or Weather domain or a subdomain of one of these may, if desired, use the Druid spell list instead of the Cleric spell list.

The Beastheart (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nDvkUeOpdhXe8_dN8I7jWYpLcqerXxIE3gC_VYT7tvg/edit) Sorcerer bloodline is permitted in this campaign setting. I'm really quite fond of it, which is why I wrote it, and I think it should have a place in the setting.

Psionics do exist. Psionics Unleashed by Dreamscarred Press is the ruleset for them.

Roxxy
2012-04-26, 11:13 AM
I'm going to be adding more information soon, specifically to nations.

Setting Specific House rules

Materiel from the Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, Ultimate Combat, and Ultimate Magic is allowed by GM approval. Please see firearm rules.
From the third party supplement Psionics Unleashed, everything except the races is allowed unless it is made under- or over-powered by the new gun rules.
Materiel from 3.5 books or homebrew is allowed or disallowed on a case by case basis, and may be tweaked if necessary.
Materiel from Grit and Gunslingers is allowed on a case by case basis. Most of it is allowed.
Materiel from Beyond Bloodlines is allowed on a case by case basis. Most of it is allowed.
Online materiel may or may not be allowed. The GM will make this decision prior to character creation. If the GM decides that it is allowed, materiel from Maxximilius's Archetypes, Meepo's Archetypes, and SmiloDan's Classes is allowed by GM approval of the specific option in question.
If the GM allows something that proves to be unbalanced, the player may be asked to modify or replace the option in question.
All races may use human stats in place of their racial stats if desired, or the official stats for the race may be used. This is a temporary house rule, in effect until the Advanced Race Guide is released.
Casting a spell causes you to lose your defense bonus to AC until your next turn. Defense bonuses are the replacement to armor, and are based on class and level.
Spontaneous casters do not increase a spell's casting time when using metamagic.
Two Weapon Fighting and Vital Strike scale with level. This means you gain the improved version for free as soon as you meet the prerequisites.
All characters get Vital Strike for free.
All Characters get Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, Point-Blank Shot, and Precise Shot for free.
Sneak attacks may be made from any distance within the first range increment of the weapon.
In Thyressa the gods are poorly understood by mortals, and people aren't even sure if god is the correct term for them. There also happen to be thousands of them. Polytheism is more common than monotheism, and, while the GM provides a list of deities, there are so many that players may choose others. Characters from classes that can have any domain, such as Clerics, can choose whatever domains they want instead of working off of a list of domains by deity. It is permissible to be a Cleric, Oracle, Inquisitor, or Paladin who is polytheistic.

Each paladin has a personalized code of conduct put together by the GM and player during character creation. The Core Rulebook code of conduct does not apply, this personalized code does. If it is violated, the paladin begins to fall from grace.
A paladin's fall from grace takes a long time, with the character losing paladin abilities for antipaladin abilities one by one as she descends further and further into unacceptable actions, until finally there is nothing left of her paladin abilities whatsoever. The GM decides when a paladin begins to fall, and the GM will not have a paladin begin falling without warning her about her actions so that she may avoid falling, unless she does something extremely evil, like genocide. Redemption works the opposite way, with antipaladin abilities being traded out for paladin abilities one by one as the paladin steadily ascends towards the path of good.
The atonement spell does not exist. Things that would require it are handled via RP.
Plane shifting spells are not available to mortals, only to outsiders. Plane shifting requires special techniques and components that require multiple adventures just to discover. The existence of planes and outsiders is known, but they are not well understood. They can be summoned and bound with the proper spells.
Any outsider of good bent is called an Angel, and any outsider of evil bent is called a Demon.
No alignment detection magic is allowed. Paladins can smite any alignment.
No time stop, wish, or miracle spells, including limited wish or minor miracle. Time Stop does not exist, and wishes and miracles are the domain of powerful outsiders, fey, and magic items.
You may reroll a failed knowledge check if you come across a source of additional information such as a book or an overheard NPC comment.
There is no level or stat loss when being raised from the dead. However, it does cause mental stress. Roll a will save (DC 10 + character level + days dead). If you fail, you gain an insanity (3.5 Unearthed Arcana insanity, not Gamemastery Guide insanity). Insanities are not determined randomly. Instead, the GM talks with the player to see which insanity the player is most comfortable roleplaying, and gives the character that insanity. Characters who are raised from the dead have no memory of what happened to them after they died. The fate of the dead is unknown to mortals.
Traits are not used. This is a temporary rule until I have a list of setting specific traits.
Ability scores are 25 point buy.
When leveling up, you may either roll HP in the presence of the GM or just assume an average roll (which is half of the maximum dice roll, not a fraction).
Witches have a choice between summoning a familiar and forming an arcane bond. Witch familiars work the same as wizard familiars, as does the arcane bond feature. A witch writes spells in a grimoire, which functions like a wizard's spellbook but holds a great deal of ritual significance to the witch. A witch who loses a grimoire is treated as a witch in another Pathfinder game who has lost a familiar. A witch coven does not need to posses a hag. Bluff is on the list of witch class skills.
No communing with deities. I like my deities mysterious and ambiguous.
Clerics, Oracles, and Inquisitors can't lose their powers for becoming corrupt.
Ammunition, food, and water is not tracked unless scarcity is important to the adventure. Spell components are only tracked if they have a specific cost or scarcity is important to the adventure. If the GM decides to track resources, she will inform the players ahead of time so that they may prepare for this.
Ultimate Combat called shots are allowed.
The following classes are renamed:
Barbarian - Berserker
Ninja - Trickster
All spells with the healing subtype belong to the necromancy school.
There is no such thing as positive and negative energy. Instead there is healing energy (which acts like positive energy) and harming energy (which acts like negative energy). If you can channel energy, pick one of these two abilities or an alternative channel from Ultimate Magic each time you channel energy.
Undead are healed by healing energies and harmed by harming energies. This means that channeling healing energy will NOT harm undead as is usual.

Roxxy
2012-05-09, 11:04 AM
I've decided to go with one magic system, not three. In effect, psionics are a subset of arcane magic, sharing the same source but slightly different implimentation, while divine magic doesn't exist, as the deities don't really do that kind of thing.

The necessary ajustments are to ban the Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Oracle. The Inquisitor, meanwhile, is an alternate form of Magus. Rangers are unchanged asde from not being classified as divine, and remain able to use spells, though I do plan to explain that, in world, there are more Rangers with the Skirmisher archetype than without. Many of those divine spells that do not have direct reliance on divine intervention are being distributed among the remaining spellcasting classes. This includes healing. Yes, this does mean a Wizard or Sorcerer can learn to heal.

To prevent Wizards from becoming too powerful as a result to this increase in available spells, limits on how many spells a Wizard has in her spell book and where those spells will come from shall be enforced.

lt_murgen
2012-05-09, 11:23 AM
Started reading through it, and had one significant issue:

Horselss carriages and bicycles are experimental, but you have airplanes, submarines, and steam engines.

The first horseless carriages were steam-powered. Bicycles are far less technologically advanced than airplanes. In fact, without a good knowledge of gears and chains, airplanes are impossible. It is no accident that the Wright brothers were bicycle manufacturers first. Even civil war submarines were steam-powered and far more complex than a horseless carriage.

If you want to rule out cars, the simplest way is to say they exist, but have to be custom built and are horrifically expensive. Additionally, once you are out of cities, paved roads would be non-existant. Alternatively, since you want big tanks, is to claim that most of the technology is classified as military secrets and not available. Bicycles, however, really should be available. It was bicycles that made moving food around in cities possible, allowed for the woman's movement to grow, and really supported the middle class.

Next, why do you need seperate races? I've always wondered at this. People make seperate races, then claim they get along well, then claim they don't interbreed. You could accomplish the same thing by making them seperate cultures with a historical restriction on inter-breeding.

Roxxy
2012-05-09, 01:34 PM
Bicycles are far less technologically advanced than airplanes.Bicycles are common. Steam powered ones, however, are rare.

If you want to rule out cars, the simplest way is to say they exist, but have to be custom built and are horrifically expensiveTHat is my chosen position on cars. They are there, but are not common and lack the necessary infrastructure.

Next, why do you need seperate races? I've always wondered at this. People make seperate races, then claim they get along well, then claim they don't interbreed. You could accomplish the same thing by making them seperate cultures with a historical restriction on inter-breeding.Imagine it sort of like breeds of dog. A Rottweiler is different from a Labrador Retriever, both in appearance and behavior tendancies, and they do not generally fill the same roles as working dogs. They are different breeds. Yet, both are dogs, and they can interbreed with each other. The same principle is in action here. Interbreeding does happen, especially with as friendly as the races are, but they are still not the same breed.

Roxxy
2012-05-22, 09:56 PM
Expect an info-dump in the next couple days, including a move towards a bit more 18th century flavor in the setting as a whole, some more country info, and limited magic-dependant spaceflight. It's advanced enough to have some colonies on a nearby planet and a couple asteroids, as well as a bit of mining and exploration of the solar system, but that's it. I am trying to maintain a heavy Age of Sail/Early American Colonization with space travel, as I mean for the existance of space travel to be to fill this particular niche. Space travel is neither the main theme nor the main focus of the setting, any more than the existance of real life space travel is the main theme of the majority of stories set in modern America. I do plan to use it, but not all the time or the majority of the time.

The Dwarves can be held responsible for the existance of space travel. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232024)

Omeganaut
2012-06-04, 06:10 AM
I'm looking at your setting so far, and I seem to be picking up on a theme of rich countries getting richer and more powerful, and poor countries turning into modern third world countries. Judging by your races, it would seem like former Elven capitals would turn into slums or ghettos and the orcs would be building new communities in the most unwanted lands while the previously established mixed human countries would be growing exponentially as they have a second major industrial revolution.

Also, I'm curious as to how wireless telephones get power, as small batteries requires sophisticated electronics that would easily be used for computers, which enables a lot more than just space travel, while computers could conceivably develop without needing wireless. Ham radios seem like a better bet, or using magic messages instead.