PDA

View Full Version : Dudes with long hair

danzibr
2012-04-25, 09:01 PM
So I'm a dude with long hair. I've had long hair off and on since I was 16 (now 24). I have a son who loves to ride on my shoulders, but also loves to yank on my hair. Also, summer's approaching. I'm debating cutting my hair (currently I can easily pull all of it into a ponytail to give you an idea of the length).

What do you all think? Dudes with long hair, yea or nay?

Sadly, when you weigh the pros and cons there doesn't seem like much of a choice.

Pros: looks good (even then, opinion).

Cons: makes showers 4x longer, makes the summer hotter, makes rolling over in bed a hassle, makes carrying my son on my shoulders painful, looks less professional (though it probably depends on where you live, and I keep it tidy), shampoo and conditioner cost money (yes, I'm so stingy I take that into consideration), can get caught in a machine and pull your scalp off (or so I hear), douche bags love to shout rude comments at dudes with long hair, may make people feel uncomfortable (I live close to redneck USA), et cetera.

Righteous Doggy
2012-04-25, 09:13 PM
I say yay, some guys look good! and I hate the idea that its professional for guys to nearly shave their head! your cons and pros are so... steep though. what you do with your face and head is your own business isn't it?

Grinner
2012-04-25, 09:16 PM
So you might think.

Lord Raziere
2012-04-25, 09:18 PM
I'm a dude with long hair, and proud of it.

I hate that to be in a professional job you have to cut it to boring near-baldness. Once again another example of humanity's stupid obsession with control making things suck for everyone else.

Ravens_cry
2012-04-25, 09:28 PM
In some guys, it works, just like with some woman going short haired and even bald can work.
For many it doesn't, but hey, unless there is an actual job related reason, like the food industry, and you like it, I say keep it.

Crow
2012-04-25, 10:28 PM
Just keep it. You'll want it back in 10 years anyways, so enjoy it now.

Riverdance
2012-04-25, 10:40 PM
I had long hair for as long as I can remember until a year ago. People told me I shouldn't cut it because I looked so good with it long. Then I cut it and people said they were so glad I had. Female people in particular. I personally will not be growing it back out, but do whatever you want. For all I know you look much better with long hair. I can attest to showers being much easier though. That's probably my second favorite part of cutting it, after the girl-people part of course :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2012-04-25, 10:47 PM
Like my avatar, I look best with short hair.
Seriously, Ravens Cry with long hair would look like the girl from The Ring.

Eldan
2012-04-25, 11:00 PM
I had long hair. About to my elbows, at its longest. I really like the feeling of having long hair, but eventually I just decided it got in the way too much. Now I'm down to between five and ten centimeters.

Othesemo
2012-04-25, 11:13 PM
Everyone here seems to think you should keep it, so I'm going to strongly suggest that you cut it short. Your list of pros and cons more or less makes my point for me.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-04-25, 11:27 PM
Personally, I want this dude's hair.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IzgG_kI9oZs/TPp8kv3EAGI/AAAAAAAAAoY/syKWux606Ao/s1600/Dave%252BGrohl.jpg

Draconi Redfir
2012-04-25, 11:41 PM
As a guy with a ponytail i can say a few things.

Pros: Ladies love it~ (or at least those i know)

Cons: Hair knots :smallyuk:, VERY difficult to get into a hair net. Wich causes hair knots.

Killer Angel
2012-04-26, 01:56 AM
Sadly, when you weigh the pros and cons there doesn't seem like much of a choice.

If you are into metal, headbanging is another worthy advantage.

Cons: makes the summer hotter, makes rolling over in bed a hassle,

Having tried both te conditions, these 2 cons win, in my book.
Speaking personally, summer with short hair is a life full of joy... but long hair are definitely cool. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the price.

Tonal Architect
2012-04-26, 03:07 AM
I've had mine long now for more than a decade. It goes a few inches down my waist when wet, and comes up to less than an inch down my nipples when dry. My hair is quite curly, as you might imagine.

I can understand where you're coming from, having gone experienced all the cons that come with long hair. But I wouldn't cut mine, were I in your shoes. What advise I can give you is to work on lessening the cons, should you wish to keep your hair long.

You can drastically diminish the time you spend on showering, depending on how you comb your hair and when in the shower you comb it. You cold also google on no-poo and low-poo, which will also reduce your expenses on shampoo and get you better hair (low-poo works very well for me).

There are also ways to style your hair in both a practical, bed-rolling resistant way, which look cool and maintain an pragmatical edge. Braids are an example, and they also get you to look like a viking, which helps with the douches (I went from Goldilocks to Erik the, errr, Blonde).

Would you mind describing how you comb and wash your hair, and what's your hair type? I could give a few tips, should you wish.

I get the feeling you're inclined to cutting it, but I believe you might have good options left.

Castaras
2012-04-26, 04:28 AM
Depending on the guy, guys with long hair is HAWT.

And in my opinion, very few guys don't look good with long hair.

<.<

>.>

yeaaaaaah. Long hair = awesome, on either gender.

Brother Oni
2012-04-26, 05:41 AM
If you like your hair long, then I suggest keeping it long.

I personally have mine short for a variety of reasons (work and philosophical/religious), but the main reason is that I usually end up in situations where I have to worry about stuff sticking to my hair (or worse, things crawling and nesting in it), so keeping it short helps in the frantic check of 'is that just an itch or is something moving about on my scalp'?

Dvil
2012-04-26, 05:41 AM
I'd say keep it. Every now and then I'm tempted to shave mine down to the skin and start over, but if I change my mind the next day it's not exactly something easy to go back on. Plus my dad's bald, so if that gets passed down it may well be worth making the most of my hair while I can. Overall, hair rocks.

Yora
2012-04-26, 05:47 AM
I would mostly object to being called a dude. :smallbiggrin:

But all the downsides of long hair people complain about I can't understand. Showering takes maybe 30 seconds longer, I need about 50% more stuff for my hair, and I need to brush it for about 10 seconds after getting up.
That's not a burden.
But I might just have hair that is exceptionally well suited to be long without needing special care.

Strawberries
2012-04-26, 05:51 AM
Well,it depends on how it looks on you, but generally, I like long hair on males. So, I'd vote keep it.

unless there is an actual job related reason, like the food industry

I'm a woman with long-ish hair, I work in a food factory, and that's not an issue. You wouldn't expect ladies to cut their hair short just for that, would you? :smallconfused: If you're in the food business you just have to keep your hair in a ponytail and put every strand under the hairnet, and you're free from any concern. :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2012-04-26, 05:52 AM
I'm a nay on dudes with long hair. I just don't find it attractive.

Killer Angel
2012-04-26, 06:04 AM
I'm a woman with long-ish hair, I work in a food factory, and that's not an issue. You wouldn't expect ladies to cut their hair short just for that, would you? :smallconfused: If you're in the food business you just have to keep your hair in a ponytail and put every strand under the hairnet, and you're free from any concern. :smallwink:

Indeed.
There are some jobs that require specific hairstyles, but food industry is not included.

danzibr
2012-04-26, 07:25 AM
When I started quoting everyone to respond to the individual posts I didn't realize there were so many... oh well. Thanks for the input all. Oh, I just noticed the multi-quote didn't get everyone. I'll have to go back.

As a guy with a ponytail i can say a few things.

Pros: Ladies love it~ (or at least those i know)

Cons: Hair knots :smallyuk:, VERY difficult to get into a hair net. Wich causes hair knots.
I actually worked in the food industry for a little while and the management was okay with ponytails. Still, the few times I've had knots... not pleasant.

If you are into metal, headbanging is another worthy advantage.

Having tried both te conditions, these 2 cons win, in my book.
Speaking personally, summer with short hair is a life full of joy... but long hair are definitely cool. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the price.
I oughta say I obviously love my hair, otherwise I'd never grow it out. I'm absolutely certain I'll miss it. However... it is just hair. Still gotta thing.

I've had mine long now for more than a decade. It goes a few inches down my waist when wet, and comes up to less than an inch down my nipples when dry. My hair is quite curly, as you might imagine.

I can understand where you're coming from, having gone experienced all the cons that come with long hair. But I wouldn't cut mine, were I in your shoes. What advise I can give you is to work on lessening the cons, should you wish to keep your hair long.

You can drastically diminish the time you spend on showering, depending on how you comb your hair and when in the shower you comb it. You cold also google on no-poo and low-poo, which will also reduce your expenses on shampoo and get you better hair (low-poo works very well for me).

There are also ways to style your hair in both a practical, bed-rolling resistant way, which look cool and maintain an pragmatical edge. Braids are an example, and they also get you to look like a viking, which helps with the douches (I went from Goldilocks to Erik the, errr, Blonde).

Would you mind describing how you comb and wash your hair, and what's your hair type? I could give a few tips, should you wish.

I get the feeling you're inclined to cutting it, but I believe you might have good options left.
Curly indeed. My hair is rather straight. In fat, I'll include a picture (it's 3 months old).
http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n552/danzibr/404670_715568508479_66806429_34438823_237886066_n. jpg
As for showers, I discovered long ago that if I don't use a good bit of (not a ton, like a 1.5 inch line) of both shampoo and conditioner I get TERRIBLE dandruff, but now I have 0 dandruff. I put the shampoo in, brush my teeth, put the conditioner in, shave. That way it can sit for a bit.

<.<

>.>

yeaaaaaah. Long hair = awesome, on either gender.
Ahh... my wife agrees. Well, she thinks you have to have the right face type, and she claims I do.

If you like your hair long, then I suggest keeping it long.

I personally have mine short for a variety of reasons (work and philosophical/religious), but the main reason is that I usually end up in situations where I have to worry about stuff sticking to my hair (or worse, things crawling and nesting in it), so keeping it short helps in the frantic check of 'is that just an itch or is something moving about on my scalp'?
*shudders* I've had things crawl through my hair once or twice.

I'd say keep it. Every now and then I'm tempted to shave mine down to the skin and start over, but if I change my mind the next day it's not exactly something easy to go back on. Plus my dad's bald, so if that gets passed down it may well be worth making the most of my hair while I can. Overall, hair rocks.
Fortunately baldness doesn't run in my family. In fact, my brother and father both have longish hair (so all the men in my family do).

I would mostly object to being called a dude. :smallbiggrin:

But all the downsides of long hair people complain about I can't understand. Showering takes maybe 30 seconds longer, I need about 50% more stuff for my hair, and I need to brush it for about 10 seconds after getting up.
That's not a burden.
But I might just have hair that is exceptionally well suited to be long without needing special care.
Yeah, it sounds like you do (have low-maintenance hair, that is). My showers take probably 5 minutes longer and I use probably infinitely times more hair stuff. When it's really short you don't even need shampoo (I mean like, really short. When it's that short I just use body wash on my scalp).

Well,it depends on how it looks on you, but generally, I like long hair on males. So, I'd vote keep it.

Yeah, I didn't even have to put mine in the hairnet.

I'm a nay on dudes with long hair. I just don't find it attractive.
Considering your name is mauve shirt, I'm inclined to trust your fashion sense.

Indeed.
There are some jobs that require specific hairstyles, but food industry is not included.
Yeah... like working around big scary machines.

danzibr
2012-04-26, 07:31 AM
I say yay, some guys look good! and I hate the idea that its professional for guys to nearly shave their head! your cons and pros are so... steep though. what you do with your face and head is your own business isn't it?
It is irritating, about the professionalism. As for the pros and cons, hair is like a baby. A baby keeps you up at night, drains you financially, and doesn't really contribute at all, but you still love it.

So you might think.
If this is supposed to be a meaningful contribution to the conversation, I totally missed it.

I hate that to be in a professional job you have to cut it to boring near-baldness. Once again another example of humanity's stupid obsession with control making things suck for everyone else.
Well, I've known a good few highly professional guys with super long hair, but... the job market I'm going into is pretty, well, not well off at the moment. I want to get every edge I can.

In some guys, it works, just like with some woman going short haired and even bald can work.
For many it doesn't, but hey, unless there is an actual job related reason, like the food industry, and you like it, I say keep it.
True... I mean look at the guy in John Carter.

Add to that list that my hair constantly gets caught on the bullets on my guitar strap. :v

Also, I veritably winced and reached up to grab the top of my head upon reading the 'rip your scalp off' part :smalleek:
Yeah, I shudder at the thought.

Just keep it. You'll want it back in 10 years anyways, so enjoy it now.
Over the past 8 years I've had it long 3 times. Maybe I'll do it again, hmm.

I had long hair for as long as I can remember until a year ago. People told me I shouldn't cut it because I looked so good with it long. Then I cut it and people said they were so glad I had. Female people in particular. I personally will not be growing it back out, but do whatever you want. For all I know you look much better with long hair. I can attest to showers being much easier though. That's probably my second favorite part of cutting it, after the girl-people part of course :smallbiggrin:
Interesting, interesting. Yeah, I think also people think it's kind of a crime. Cutting off long, gorgeous hair. My wife maintains I look good with short hair, too.

I had long hair. About to my elbows, at its longest. I really like the feeling of having long hair, but eventually I just decided it got in the way too much. Now I'm down to between five and ten centimeters.
That is indeed long. The longest mine was (before I cut it last time) was past the bottom of my shoulder blades.

Everyone here seems to think you should keep it, so I'm going to strongly suggest that you cut it short. Your list of pros and cons more or less makes my point for me.
Yeah, it's hard to look at that list and stick with keeping it. Decisions, decisions.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IzgG_kI9oZs/TPp8kv3EAGI/AAAAAAAAAoY/syKWux606Ao/s1600/Dave%252BGrohl.jpg
Ahh Dave Grohl...

Killer Angel
2012-04-26, 07:39 AM
Yeah... like working around big scary machines.

Or actor. The role (and the director) often dictates the look.
The Army. We know what the norm is...
Olimpic athletes. Long haired swimmers are pretty rare.

Traab
2012-04-26, 07:41 AM

What places require near baldness? I mean, Im a short hair kind of guy myself, but ive worked in fast food, factories that make candy, and a variety of other places, and I have seen the full gamut of short medium and long hair at all of them, male and female. What exactly constitutes "near bald" to you? To me thats 1/32 of an inch, the lowest you can get with electric clippers with no guard, (What I used to use on my hair) Its still there, still visible, but its like stubble.

I dunno, maybe im just picky, because my hair doesnt grow long. I once left it for a year and a half, and it stopped growing down and started growing up once it reached my shoulders. I won 5 bucks in class by sticking 3 rulers and 12 pencils in my hair and shaking my head without anything falling out. :smallbiggrin: On the plus side, I was about 4 inches taller. On the downside, I looked like I was wearing a motorcycle helmet made of hair. Now I keep my hair below combing length at all times. Only thing im letting grow on me is my beard. And that refuses. bastard facial hair.

Starscream
2012-04-26, 07:42 AM
It looks good on some guys, but I've never been able to stomach having it myself for very long.

It's just too high maintenance and unwieldy. And I live in Florida, where the summers get very hot, and long hair makes me miserable.

So these days I keep it short. Last time I had it long I went into the barber shop, said "leave about an inch", and the woman was horrified. "It's so nice! Why would you want to chop it all off?!"

She had shorter hair than I did at the time, so I asked why she kept it short, and she basically gave the same reasons I did above.

truemane
2012-04-26, 07:42 AM
Fortunately baldness doesn't run in my family. In fact, my brother and father both have longish hair (so all the men in my family do).

Nitpick: baldness actually comes from your mother's side, like colour blindness and hemophilia. If you want to predict the chances you'll go bald, find out if your mother's father or grandfather (or as many generations as you can go back) were bald. The more of them that were bald, the more likely you are to be.

Aedilred
2012-04-26, 10:09 AM
I used to have long hair and cut it off in an attempt to seem more professional. I wish to this day I hadn't, although I think it was an inevitability.

Some job industries are more accepting of that sort of thing than others (and some companies within certain industries) but it's always going to be more of a disadvantage when you go to interview than short hair will be. Facial hair is much the same. It's frustrating that the "world of work" has been driving increasingly towards allowing people to express their individuality through clothing etc. for years, but expects uniformity of expression when it comes to something much more personal.

Hopefully long hair will come back in vogue before too long and you can grow it back (or keep it if you haven't already had it cut by that stage). Short hair on men is a relatively recent development in social terms. Personally, as someone who is now losing his hair and probably wouldn't be able to grow it back to the same extent even if I were allowed to, I'm kind of hoping that at some point soon we'll see the return of the periwig.

Riverdance
2012-04-26, 10:21 AM

Yeah middling length is always an option too if you don't want it too short. Just don't accidentally get a bob-cut. Worst hair-cut I ever got.

Castaras
2012-04-26, 10:44 AM
Yeah middling length is always an option too if you don't want it too short. Just don't accidentally get a bob-cut. Worst hair-cut I ever got.

Slightly longer than that is what I'm considering getting (not the bobcut though). Currently my hair is getting close to my belly button. Though I'm not sure this is relevant considering I have girlbits :smalltongue:

Karoht
2012-04-26, 11:09 AM
I've had long hair for over 12 years. It's reliably sitting around lower back area, and I trim it if it ever reaches my wasteline.

I worked in a bank for 3 years. I was told I had the most professional appearance out of any of the men that ever worked there. They were all short haired people. Management wanted me to cut my hair, and literally held a promotion out of my reach because I refused to, which I pointed out was a form of discrimination and harassment.

It's your body. It's your choice. As much as I think long hair looks good on people, if you would prefer it short, that is your call to make.

But seriously, being a skin-flint on shampoo/conditioner? Really? It's honestly not that much of a cost increase, speaking as someone who has managed long hair for 12 years now. And I'm fussy about the cleanliness of my hair, let me assure you.

Maxios
2012-04-26, 11:10 AM
There was once a time long, long ago (as in, January) where my hair was long enough to look like Omnitopia!Me's.

noparlpf
2012-04-26, 11:30 AM
So I'm a dude with long hair. I've had long hair off and on since I was 16 (now 24). I have a son who loves to ride on my shoulders, but also loves to yank on my hair. Also, summer's approaching. I'm debating cutting my hair (currently I can easily pull all of it into a ponytail to give you an idea of the length).

What do you all think? Dudes with long hair, yea or nay?

Cons: makes showers 4x longer, makes the summer hotter, makes rolling over in bed a hassle, makes carrying my son on my shoulders painful, looks less professional (though it probably depends on where you live, and I keep it tidy), shampoo and conditioner cost money (yes, I'm so stingy I take that into consideration), can get caught in a machine and pull your scalp off (or so I hear), douche bags love to shout rude comments at dudes with long hair, may make people feel uncomfortable (I live close to redneck USA), et cetera.

I recently cut my hair from long to short (well. -ish).
Last April just before I donated over 40cm:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/207271_140157016055517_100001836573657_252963_8345 422_n.jpg
Within a month later:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/222671_145046868899865_100001836573657_284112_1880 203_n.jpg
Around November '11:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0004.jpg
This April just before I cut it off:
Loose:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0019.jpg
Ponytail:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0020.jpg
After the haircut: (and with contacts)
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0035.jpg
My experiences:
-I'm told I look older or more mature.
-I HAVE BANGS. WHAT IS THIS. (I haven't had bangs in ten years.)
-Showers are so much easier that now I'm in danger of washing my skin off with my frequent showers.
-I still use shampoo and conditioner, just less, which is nice.
-Honestly short hair hurts more when it's pulled, because when it's long there's a better chance of catching more of it and dispersing the force over a greater number of strands. Unless by short you mean less than 2cm in length, which is kind of hard to pull.
-My hair is evidence that corporal punishment does not work. It doesn't behave any better now than it did before I cut all of it off.

danzibr
2012-04-26, 11:59 AM
But seriously, being a skin-flint on shampoo/conditioner? Really?
Uhh, yes. I said I'm cheap. The inexpensive shampoo doesn't maintain my dandruff (or prior dandruff). I have to get stuff like $20/bottle, so $40 for both shampoo and conditioner.

I recently cut my hair from long to short (well. -ish).
Last April just before I donated over 40cm:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/207271_140157016055517_100001836573657_252963_8345 422_n.jpg
Within a month later:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/222671_145046868899865_100001836573657_284112_1880 203_n.jpg
Around November '11:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0004.jpg
This April just before I cut it off:
Loose:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0019.jpg
Ponytail:
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0020.jpg
After the haircut: (and with contacts)
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/noparlpf/Picture0035.jpg
My experiences:
-I'm told I look older or more mature.
-I HAVE BANGS. WHAT IS THIS. (I haven't had bangs in ten years.)
-Showers are so much easier that now I'm in danger of washing my skin off with my frequent showers.
-I still use shampoo and conditioner, just less, which is nice.
-Honestly short hair hurts more when it's pulled, because when it's long there's a better chance of catching more of it and dispersing the force over a greater number of strands. Unless by short you mean less than 2cm in length, which is kind of hard to pull.
-My hair is evidence that corporal punishment does not work. It doesn't behave any better now than it did before I cut all of it off.
Very cool transition pictures. I was indeed thinking of having it less than 2cm. I'm thinking... extremely short.

dehro
2012-04-26, 12:06 PM
pfft..amateur.

when you said long hair, I was expecting this:
http://www.ronalfy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/man_long_hair.jpg
I've had hair more or less as long as your hair in that piccy. as a sales rep it's expected that I wear a suit on business-meetings..
long-ish haired guys in suits.. don't always look good..but I do think I made it work...
well..I don't think I ever lost a sale for having long-ish hair.

that said, there's a lot of steps inbetween marine-haircuts and "glamorous" hair-rockband hair. if you carry yourself with competence and the right attitude in any job interview, long hair won't really be looked at as a point against you unless of course there are specific safety reasons or specific corporate rules. (I have a friend who spent 2 years in a big firm that forced him by contract to wear the same colour suits, tie and shirt every day)..

all you need to do is ask the people who are setting up the interviews if there are dress codes attached to the position, and then consider how much you want the job on offer..
if it's worth cutting your hair to a more "professional" looking length for.. or if you prefer looking elsewhere and keep your hair long.
any consideration other than work-related, will only affect your private life, so it's entirely subjective and your call to make.

Tirian
2012-04-26, 02:10 PM

It depends a lot on the guy. Most guys with long hair look good, but that's because the guys who don't look good cut their losses. (Get it?)

My hair starts doing weird waves when it hits my collar line, so I've kept mine short forever. Last bunch of years, I've kept the back and sides buzzed with a #3 guard, which is super-easy to maintain and it feels great to run your fingers through it.

ForzaFiori
2012-04-26, 02:55 PM
I routinely go back and forth between short and long-ish hair (I donate it to Locks of Love). I don't know how your hair grows, but mine could go from about this long:

http://www.specialhairstyles.com/wp-content/gallery/cool-hair-styles-for-men/3645d23e5c500071899efcb7a18d6710.jpg
(this is not me, just a rough estimate of how long my hair was)

to what you have bin about a year.

In fact, I got my hair cut that short almost exactly a year ago, and now it is possibly even longer than yours by an inch or so.

My point being that if you wanna try out short hair for the summer, go for it. It shouldn't take to long to change back if you decide you don't like it.

Draconi Redfir
2012-04-26, 03:01 PM
By the way, i feel as a guy with long hair to annother, i should mention:

How to sleep with long hair:

Remove any hair acessories if any, including things that hold hair in ponytail. Let the hair hang behind you, make sure little if any of it is in your face or front side.

get ready to go to bed

put hoodie on, be sure this is the last thing you do as it will keep hair flush against your back.

Keep hood over your head, if it covers your eyes great, bonus darkness. Zip it up.

No more hair problems while you sleep! And your pillowcase stays oil-free!:smallbiggrin:

--Lime--
2012-04-26, 03:05 PM
I was once at the stage where my hair was having birthdays. I was lucky, it never knotted and never frizzed. No conditioner, just shampoo.

Having had the hair for so long, it was hard to say goodbye, but honestly, since then I've never looked back. It's nice when you don't have to keep pushing it out of your eyes in the wind, or every time you lean forwards.

Castaras
2012-04-26, 03:26 PM
By the way, i feel as a guy with long hair to annother, i should mention:

Remove any hair acessories if any, including things that hold hair in ponytail. Let the hair hang behind you, make sure little if any of it is in your face or front side.

get ready to go to bed

put hoodie on, be sure this is the last thing you do as it will keep hair flush against your back.

Keep hood over your head, if it covers your eyes great, bonus darkness. Zip it up.

No more hair problems while you sleep! And your pillowcase stays oil-free!:smallbiggrin:

I normally just go for plaiting it, which results in a little top of head fluff, but keeps it much less tangled for the next morning. :smallsmile: If need be you can pretend you're a viking and get a beard to plait along with it. :smalltongue: Would totally do that if I was a guy.

noparlpf
2012-04-26, 03:28 PM
I normally just go for plaiting it, which results in a little top of head fluff, but keeps it much less tangled for the next morning. :smallsmile: If need be you can pretend you're a viking and get a beard to plait along with it. :smalltongue: Would totally do that if I was a guy.

Would totally do that if I could grow a full beard. One day...

Solaris
2012-04-26, 05:40 PM
I used to have long hair (kinda like ol' dude in that picture, actually) until I cut it about a year after high school. I honestly don't regret it - I look more professional and more mature with short hair. Most guys do, actually - it's not exactly a good thing for job prospects when the dude's hair looks like his girlfriend's. I went from "Couldn't get an interview" to "Can we hire you right now?" after cutting mine, f'rinstance. I suppose it sucks if you like having the hippie longhair look, but it really does give the impression that you're not exactly the most professional, conservative/stable/in control of people to an interviewer. This might not be true in all fields, but long hair on a guy seems to hurt more than it helps.

Ceric
2012-04-26, 06:56 PM

Huh. My hair's somewhere between my collarbone and my breast, depending on when I cut it, and I just flip my hair up above my head when I sleep. No ties or anything.

Riverdance
2012-04-26, 07:11 PM
Nitpick: baldness actually comes from your mother's side, like colour blindness and hemophilia. If you want to predict the chances you'll go bald, find out if your mother's father or grandfather (or as many generations as you can go back) were bald. The more of them that were bald, the more likely you are to be.

The maternal grandfather to be exact (although I suppose that's kind of implied).

EDIT: Oh, I just realized it's not only implied but explicitly stated. My bad :smalltongue:

Uhh, yes. I said I'm cheap. The inexpensive shampoo doesn't maintain my dandruff (or prior dandruff). I have to get stuff like $20/bottle, so $40 for both shampoo and conditioner.

Totally legitimate concern. I use about a quarter the shampoo I used to since I cut my hair.

fergo
2012-04-26, 07:19 PM

Oh. Crap :smalleek:.

danzibr
2012-04-26, 07:55 PM
I was once at the stage where my hair was having birthdays. I was lucky, it never knotted and never frizzed. No conditioner, just shampoo.

Having had the hair for so long, it was hard to say goodbye, but honestly, since then I've never looked back. It's nice when you don't have to keep pushing it out of your eyes in the wind, or every time you lean forwards.
Totally forgot this. It's annoying to try to point your head in the wind all the freaking time.

ForzaFiori
2012-04-26, 09:50 PM

That sucks. At least if it came through my dad, I'd know I'm gonna go bald, but my mom's adopted, so it's just a crap shoot as to how long I get to keep my hair.

Crow
2012-04-27, 01:03 AM
Speaking of baldness and heredity...

I have a slowly receding hairline, and yeah, it sucks. For the meanwhile though, I wear it long, as it hasn't gotten to where it looks bad...yet.

Anyhow, my father is well into his 50's, and has beautiful, flowing hair, not a touch of grey, and no rededing hairline or baldness. Every time I see him, he brings up my hairline like a bastard. My father is an ass.

So yeah, look at your mother's side. That's where it all is in my family, and now it's on me.

Krade
2012-04-27, 02:33 AM
I also have long hair. Curly. In the standard ponytail I tend to keep it in it goes to the bottom of my shoulder blades. A bit farther if wet.

I rarely have a problem sleeping with it (possibly because I have a bigger problem sleeping. Stupid eye). I've considered cutting it short but I've been really wishy-washy about the whole thing considering I've had it for very nearly half my life (I'm 25). It just feels like it's a part of who I am at this point and to cut it all off would be such a strange experience that it literally frightens me.

I guess I'm just wierd.

noparlpf
2012-04-27, 05:08 AM
I read somewhere that baldness is affected by both parents' genes but that it does usually come from the mother's side. Which kind of stinks for me. My dad's fifty and his hair is still pretty thick, but men on my mum's side go bald in their twenties.

Starwulf
2012-04-27, 05:31 AM
I'd vote cut it myself. I've never felt that guys looked even ok with long hair, seems kinda wierd to me. I used to have it long enough that I coudl comb it, but after being in the military, I actually much prefer the Buzz-cut style, extremely manageable, it keeps you cool in the summertime, and takes about 5 seconds to shampoo and rinse, and it looks good.

I'll admit though, I'm a bit of an old-fashioned when it comes to this topic, as I firmly believe women do NOT look good with short hair. My wife has considered getting hers cut short several times, and every time I've begged and pleaded with her not to, I just can't stand the look, and I'd be very upset if she had anything less then slightly longer then shoulder-legnth hair.

grimbold
2012-04-27, 07:22 AM
Add to that list that my hair constantly gets caught on the bullets on my guitar strap. :v

Also, I veritably winced and reached up to grab the top of my head upon reading the 'rip your scalp off' part :smalleek:

you too?!?!? :smalltongue:

Whoracle
2012-04-27, 07:41 AM
I vote against cutting, as I always do. Long hair is the law! :smallbiggrin:

And yeah, of course it gets tangled or pulled at from time to time, but IMHO it's totally worth it. Althoug in the OPs case I'd vote for letting it grow longer. What you have there isn't what I'd call long hair, really...

As an addendum: Long hair on (most) men looks great. Period.

Also @noparlpf: I wish I had your hair length before you cut it...
And while we're at it, picture time!
I'm the guy with the red wristthingies...
http://www.frozeninfinity.de/austausch/shooting_3.jpg

http://www.frozeninfinity.de/austausch/shooting_5.jpg

http://www.frozeninfinity.de/austausch/shooting_7.jpg

That was 2 years ago, so it's gotten a bit longer since then.

And yes, I'm gonna stroke my ego with the reactions to these pics :)

Draconi Redfir
2012-04-27, 07:46 AM
On the topic of baldness, that's pretty much exactly why i have long hair right now. My dad is bald, and both grandfathers are to at least some degree i think, so what i'm doing is growing out my hair long enough to cut it off and have a wig made out of it for myself!:smallbiggrin:

Theeeen maybe i'll grow it out again and give it to a cancer patient or something:smalltongue:

Snowfire
2012-04-27, 08:41 AM
If you like it, keep it. That's all that really is important here. What do you want.

In regards to myself...well. Amateurs, amateurs the lot of you :smalltongue:

My hair is steadily approaching about three and a half foot in length from scalp to tip. It goes past my waist when it's tied back into a ponytail, which makes work fun - I work in catering. However I've started taking to braiding it before I start work. If you've got hair long enough for it, it actually helps a lot with avoiding tangles and knots. The only problem is that I need a new hairnet every week or so.

Braiding actually really helps with long hair like mine, so if you're having difficulties with just a ponytail, try it. It really does help :smallwink:

noparlpf
2012-04-27, 09:33 AM

And yeah, of course it gets tangled or pulled at from time to time, but IMHO it's totally worth it. Although in the OPs case I'd vote for letting it grow longer. What you have there isn't what I'd call long hair, really...

The OP's hair is getting to be longish.
I cut my hair while I was home for Passover last year. And I still had a ponytail, albeit a short one, so I looked about the same from the front. I came back to school the next day. A few girls literally shed tears. One guy held me down to a table and shouted something about impostors.
This time, when I actually cut it short (again while home for Passover), there were quite a few tears, both from guys and girls.
Anyway, long hair is kind of a pain. My hair doesn't tangle much up to a point, but after that it's hell. I think it stayed pretty much tangle-free until the ponytail was about six inches long (wow I keep switching back and forth between metric and English), but once it got longer than that it could take a while to brush it. At its longest, it could take up to half an hour to untangle it on a bad day.

Count your ego stroked. You look good in those pictures.

Dvil
2012-04-27, 10:47 AM

You, sir, just introduced me to a new band. Many many thanks!

Also you look awesome.

Riverdance
2012-04-27, 11:10 AM
Danzibr I just found your picture in the picture/media thread. You look really great with long hair if it makes a difference :smallsmile:

Aedilred
2012-04-27, 05:57 PM
I'd vote cut it myself. I've never felt that guys looked even ok with long hair, seems kinda wierd to me. I used to have it long enough that I coudl comb it, but after being in the military, I actually much prefer the Buzz-cut style, extremely manageable, it keeps you cool in the summertime, and takes about 5 seconds to shampoo and rinse, and it looks good.

I'll admit though, I'm a bit of an old-fashioned when it comes to this topic, as I firmly believe women do NOT look good with short hair. My wife has considered getting hers cut short several times, and every time I've begged and pleaded with her not to, I just can't stand the look, and I'd be very upset if she had anything less then slightly longer then shoulder-legnth hair.
Old-fashioned? Pah. I'm super-old-fashioned, hence:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/Anthonis_van_Dyck_058.jpg/220px-Anthonis_van_Dyck_058.jpg
http://herebedragons.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/7/6327404/4536376.jpg?365
etc. I'm in favour of long hair on both men and women provided it's kept in reasonable condition; I don't really see why there should be a distinction.

To be fair, there is more to consider than just length, though. Some people look good with short hair, others look awful, and the same with long hair. On me, hair shorter than a couple of inches looks dreadful, because of the shape of my head and face and prominence of eyebrows. Of course, a lot of it comes down to taste.

Crow
2012-04-27, 06:14 PM
Old-fashioned? Pah. I'm super-old-fashioned, hence:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/Anthonis_van_Dyck_058.jpg/220px-Anthonis_van_Dyck_058.jpg
http://herebedragons.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/7/6327404/4536376.jpg?365
etc. I'm in favour of long hair on both men and women provided it's kept in reasonable condition; I don't really see why there should be a distinction.

To be fair, there is more to consider than just length, though. Some people look good with short hair, others look awful, and the same with long hair. On me, hair shorter than a couple of inches looks dreadful, because of the shape of my head and face and prominence of eyebrows. Of course, a lot of it comes down to taste.

The eyebows thing cannot be understated. Some people, without anything better to distract the viewer's attention, have some horrendous caterpillars, which with the addition of hair, wouldn't be nearly so dreadful.

Solaris
2012-04-27, 06:24 PM

I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree here. If there weren't only four photographs of me in existence (three as a child, and then my enlistment photo), I'd prove it.

The-Mage-King
2012-04-29, 01:59 AM
Dudes with long hair, you say? I think I may know one... :smalltongue:

I currently have mine about to an inch or three under my shoulder blades, when in a ponytail, which is usually. Straight hair, too.

Upkeep isn't that much of an effort- shampoo, rinse, towel dry, apply conditioner, wait, rinse, towel dry is my usual method for cleaning it.

Heat isn't really a problem, even though I live in the middle of Florida. I just put my hair into a ponytail, and it stays off of my neck.

Towards the OP, I say: Keep it- if you change your mind later, you can still cut it off, but if you cut it off and change your mind, you need to regrow it. Maybe give it a trim if you think it's needed.

TheThan
2012-04-29, 02:04 AM
I can’t stand my hair growing long. Its curly and very thick. So when it starts getting long its difficult to keep clean and it bothers me.
But I have two friends with hair down their backs. They occasionally get wolf whistled at. Which is amusing when they turn around and the guys cat-calling freak out.

Riverdance
2012-04-29, 03:46 PM
I can’t stand my hair growing long. Its curly and very thick. So when it starts getting long its difficult to keep clean and it bothers me.
But I have two friends with hair down their backs. They occasionally get wolf whistled at. Which is amusing when they turn around and the guys cat-calling freak out.

That's one that never happened to me. That's a good thing because my long haired years were from 3rd grade into my mid teens. I did get mistaken for a girl a lot when I was little though :smalltongue:

noparlpf
2012-04-29, 03:52 PM

One day at lunch in eleventh grade, I was sitting with two friends, another guy, and a girl. The other guy had long hair, and the girl had fairly short hair. One of the administrators walks by and says something like, "Good afternoon, ladies". The other guy and I look up at her. She makes an :0 face and quickly walks away.

I have only rarely been mistaken for a girl, even from behind, since I was fourteen, because I don't have a feminine build. But before puberty, I was constantly mistaken for a girl.

Castaras
2012-04-29, 04:00 PM
The common thing that happened at secondary school were kids asking me if I were a boy or a girl. Still don't know why they did this, seeing as despite wearing Jeans+Tshirt+backpack, I'd say I still look pretty feminine. Probably the irritation factor.

And this was with me having long hair that I left loose and curly.

aldeayeah
2012-04-29, 04:08 PM
I used to be a dude with long hair. Then I cut it, and never regretted it. Short hair is just that much more confortable, especially for physical activity. And even if you regret it, you can always grow it back.

Riverdance
2012-04-30, 06:52 AM
I have only rarely been mistaken for a girl, even from behind, since I was fourteen, because I don't have a feminine build. But before puberty, I was constantly mistaken for a girl.

Same, and until then I just wore a backwards baseball cap to distinguish myself even though it didn't look so great on me.

inexorabletruth
2012-04-30, 11:09 PM
Dude, it's your body. Your hair is up to you.

Some people said I used to look like what would happen if white Jesus and Charles Manson had a baby. I cut the jesus hair and shaved the taliban beard and got a good paying job because someone had to feed the baby.

Years ago, I would've been furious to have to conform to societies standards. In fact, one time I even had alternating black and white shoulder length corn rolls to make a statement about the twisted duality of man, and my boss said I couldn't come back to work until the hair was gone, because I looked creepy. So, I took a few days off, enjoyed the mini-vacation, and then shaved myself bald... eyebrows and all, to create a whole new level of creepy. Mothers would pull their kids close when I walked by. It was hilarious, and my boss had to take me back to work because those were the terms.

But I've gotten that out of my system. I've had time to enjoy a rebellious youth. Live it up man. Express yourself how you like: short hair, long hair, no hair. But remember to accept the consequences of your actions like a man. If you dress or groom yourself in a way that is contrary to professional or civilized culture, you have to expect to be treated differently than those who don't. On that same token, if you want to play the game, you have to join the team, which means putting on the uniform.

Tyndmyr
2012-05-11, 01:23 PM

Short need not mean boring, sir. For some people, long hair might be boring.

Hell, I find that for a LOT of men, long hair is unstyled, and appears to basically be a lazy approach to hairstyling. Mere length does not make hair suddenly interesting or good looking.

Verte
2012-05-11, 02:19 PM
Well...I'm not a dude, but I have hair and opinions about guys' appearances so I guess my opinion's fine here.

I mean, I prefer long, combed hair, both on myself and on men; however, my hair is really thick and wavy, which makes it hard to care of. I also think short, well-done haircuts can look really good on both men and women. I had shorter hair when I was younger (it hit the top of my ears and neck) - I recall that it didn't look good or stay out of my face without a ton of product, but it was much easier to take care of. However, I think expectations tend to be different for women.

I don't find buzzcuts attractive (especially if the person's head acne can be seen), but they're pretty much required for men in certain careers. But really, I think most styles look fine with a modicum of effort.

grimbold
2012-05-11, 05:51 PM
Short need not mean boring, sir. For some people, long hair might be boring.

Hell, I find that for a LOT of men, long hair is unstyled, and appears to basically be a lazy approach to hairstyling. Mere length does not make hair suddenly interesting or good looking.

tyndmyr is on point

Themrys
2012-05-12, 04:51 PM

And yeah, of course it gets tangled or pulled at from time to time, but IMHO it's totally worth it. Althoug in the OPs case I'd vote for letting it grow longer. What you have there isn't what I'd call long hair, really...

Why are all the good-looking men with beautiful long hair so vain?

Regardless...where can your band be seen next? :smallredface:

@Topic: I'd say if you can't decide whether to cut it, keep it.

Whoracle
2012-05-13, 08:00 AM
Why are all the good-looking men with beautiful long hair so vain?

Eh, the looks and hair come with a contract. I have to be vain, otherwise I'll loose my nose :smallfrown:

Regardless...where can your band be seen next? :smallredface:

Some places around germany this year. Next year, we'll see. We've got plans, so to speak...

grimbold
2012-05-13, 02:26 PM
Eh, the looks and hair come with a contract. I have to be vain, otherwise I'll loose my nose :smallfrown:

Some places around germany this year. Next year, we'll see. We've got plans, so to speak...

your hair is glorious whoracle

are you finally coming to paris?:smalltongue:

Malfunctioned
2012-05-13, 10:38 PM
I happen to think that long hair, whilst not suiting all guys, does look quite good on most. I think it suited me when I used to have it, as shown here.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/162703_10150390769675585_666380584_16907756_720280 9_n.jpg

PrometheusMFD
2012-05-13, 10:54 PM
Ladies and Gentlemanz, I present thee
*drum roll*
Me with my hair at its longest

http://i48.tinypic.com/3fww2.jpg

SaintRidley
2012-05-14, 01:46 AM
What exactly constitutes "near bald" to you?

To answer your question to the OP with my own personal standard, less than five inches before straightening.

That's the point at which I feel like I have no hair. I do not like that feeling and consequently try to keep my hair longer than that, usual minimum about twelve inches.

Grogmir
2012-05-14, 07:59 AM
had long hair for 10 years...

GET IT CUT...

Reasons?
1) Far more female attention
2) Showers
3) No rolling over and pulling it in the middle of the night.

Its sad that society demeans its such a no no. but I reckon my long hair cost me many promotions and quite a lot of money.

danzibr
2012-05-14, 09:58 AM
had long hair for 10 years...

GET IT CUT...

Reasons?
1) Far more female attention
2) Showers
3) No rolling over and pulling it in the middle of the night.

Its sad that society demeans its such a no no. but I reckon my long hair cost me many promotions and quite a lot of money.
#1 wouldn't be good for me, or at least my wife wouldn't appreciate it.

Anyways, thanks for the responses all. I did indeed buzz it off two days ago. My head feels mighty nice. I do miss it, but looking at those pros and cons... ah well.

Oltharius
2012-05-18, 09:24 PM
I like long hair. Period. Not everyone can pull it off, but when they can, it looks damn good. I especially like it on guys. Though, I do like short hair, too... I'm just so conflicted. :/

But it's not really up to me to decide what other people want to do with themselves.

AndToBeLoved
2012-05-19, 03:00 PM
My hair has gotten rather long and I'm sick of it. It's freaking hot, gets in my way, and I don't think it looks very good on me. My girlfriend says I'm not allowed to cut it.... But I'll show her! Actually, the only reason I haven't cut it yet is becuase I'm going to the Labyrinth Masquerade Ball in So Cal next month so it'll be cool for that. But then I'm cutting it! Maybe I should try to sell it...

Bulldog Psion
2012-05-20, 12:27 PM
I have long hair, and find it more comfortable than short hair. That might be because I live in a cold climate, though.

I always like to quote the Spartans about long hair on men:

"It makes a handsome man more handsome, an ugly man more fearsome, and it's free." The free part always cracks me up.
:smallwink:

SephlidJam
2012-05-20, 12:50 PM
I imagine eventually I'll grow tired of having my hair long - currently, it rests just at my shoulders - but, until then... I'unno, it just feels right.

The good news is that I'm still in college at the moment, and so I don't have to worry about things like job-hunting and the like yet, but...

Well, I'll probably cut it when I start having trouble getting a job.

And of course, it doesn't help that my girlfriend's favorite photo of me is from my Sophomore year of high school, where my hair is shortest it had been in several years... but, for now, I'm going to keep it long.

Ponderthought
2012-05-20, 01:38 PM
As it's one of my primary stylish affectations, beside pipes, swashbuckler facial hair and tweed, yes, I wholeheartedly support long hair on males.

Solaris
2012-05-20, 02:48 PM
The good news is that I'm still in college at the moment, and so I don't have to worry about things like job-hunting and the like yet, but...

Well, I'll probably cut it when I start having trouble getting a job.

You're not working through college? Weird.

Tyndmyr
2012-05-21, 12:04 PM
You're not working through college? Weird.

I had the same reaction.

At a minimum, you'll want to look at internships and the like during summer vacation, so a businesslike presentation is still quite important.

Eldariel
2012-05-21, 12:12 PM
I had a long hair before military. Then I cut it for obvious reasons. Then I had a long hair for a couple of years until I began swimming. It can look good but it's not practical. As long as practicality is not a consideration, go for it.

Aedilred
2012-05-21, 04:51 PM
I had the same reaction.

Some universities prohibit students from holding part-time jobs during term time. In any situation, I would recommend not working through uni if you can afford not to. Different strokes for different folks, though.

Really, although it might negatively affect chances of gaining an internship or whatever (which might be a shame depending on what industry you want to enter, but isn't really the end of the world), I wouldn't ever advise someone not to express themselves while at university, if that means growing your hair or a beard or whatever. When else are you ever going to get to do it? Time enough to worry about that sort of thing afterwards.

Moff Chumley
2012-05-22, 02:05 AM
Had damn long hair for a long time. Cut it pretty short about a year ago for a variety of reasons; my build's not the very most masculine, showers were dragging on far too long, combing was world war three, it pissed off my ex, etc etc. :smalltongue:

Short hair is nice, although I'm shootin' for the mid-length thing. Hard to do unless you've got pretty damn thin hair or a ton of gel and whatnot, otherwise things get floofy.

Grail
2012-05-22, 02:21 AM
Cut it.
If you don't like it, grow it back.

I've got long hair, but I've gone through stages over the years where I've cut it and then grown it back.

Mystic Muse
2012-05-22, 02:21 AM
Had damn long hair for a long time. Cut it pretty short about a year ago for a variety of reasons; my build's not the very most masculine, showers were dragging on far too long, combing was world war three, it pissed off my ex, etc etc. :smalltongue:

Short hair is nice, although I'm shootin' for the mid-length thing. Hard to do unless you've got pretty damn thin hair or a ton of gel and whatnot, otherwise things get floofy.

I've got kinda floofy hair. It can be a pain and look bad sometimes, but I really like having longer than normal hair. Right now, it's just about down to my shoulders, but I plan to grow it out to around mid-back or longer.

Not actually a guy, but felt like sharing that.

Moff Chumley
2012-05-22, 02:23 AM
Shoulders always seemed like the lower threshold of floof, to me. Below that, gravity kinda keeps everything in place. :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2012-05-22, 02:27 AM
Shoulders always seemed like the lower threshold of floof, to me. Below that, gravity kinda keeps everything in place. :smalltongue:

That's kinda what I'm hoping for.

The Succubus
2012-05-22, 06:00 AM
That's kinda what I'm hoping for.

Why? Gravity is boring. Floating around in mid-air allows you to do all kinds of interesting things. :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2012-05-22, 10:02 AM
Some universities prohibit students from holding part-time jobs during term time. In any situation, I would recommend not working through uni if you can afford not to. Different strokes for different folks, though.

Really, although it might negatively affect chances of gaining an internship or whatever (which might be a shame depending on what industry you want to enter, but isn't really the end of the world), I wouldn't ever advise someone not to express themselves while at university, if that means growing your hair or a beard or whatever. When else are you ever going to get to do it? Time enough to worry about that sort of thing afterwards.

I've been to six different universities, never had that come up. In fact, part-time student employment is something the college usually offers.

It's not so much about not expressing yourself, as learning how to express yourself in ways that don't negatively impact other parts of your life. The list of potential ways to express yourself is nigh endless. And personally, I find that having money helps with rather a lot of them.

I'd definitely suggest a short haircut for interview time for internships. If you don't cut it short...at least try to make it look as well cared for and sorted out as possible. Facial hair is something that varies somewhat depending on the individual...but be aware that a LOT of men look better with none. A beard is probably not a plus.

And frankly, the "expressing myself is more important than finding employment" attitude is not something that's going to be very helpful. College is about adapting to the real world, and getting prepared for a career. It's true that there are some freedoms in this time period, but sacrificing the main objective for them is probably not a good long term strategy.

Kittenwolf
2012-05-23, 02:26 AM
My hair is currently not quite halfway down my back (and pink, but that was for charity), and has varied between mid back and shoulder length for about the last seven years. I don't think it's counted against me, or at least I've succeeded at three of the four interviews I've had since I grew it, and the one I failed.. well, I wasn't really qualified ;)

Yeah, showers take longer and stuff, and I occasionally get called "Miss", but you can do fun things with it (or better yet have other people do so), and I'm a very tactile person so someone playing with my long hair feels *really* good.

Mauve Shirt
2012-05-23, 06:04 PM
How do dudes feel about chicks with short hair? Like, Haley's hair at the end of the last book short.

Dvil
2012-05-23, 06:36 PM
I'm of the opinion that it all depend on the person. Some women really can't pull off short hair, just as some dude look awful with it long. Likewise, some girls look much better with their hair short and some blokes really need to let it grow a bit. It just depends on the look of their face and, to an extent, their personality. If they don't suit their hair then it might be a bit odd once you get to know them.

Moff Chumley
2012-05-23, 06:45 PM
How do dudes feel about chicks with short hair? Like, Haley's hair at the end of the last book short.

This sums it up. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs)

I mean, obviously varies from individual to individual, but in a lot of cases I think it looks great.

Aedilred
2012-05-23, 07:09 PM
Well, I'm generally in favour of long hair on everybody, male or female, but it varies from case to case. There are some people who long hair really doesn't suit, although usually men rather than women in my experience.

I do know a couple of women who look good with short hair, although they look(ed) good with long hair too. So I think that's probably "I know some attractive women" rather than the hair length really having much to do with it.

Klose_the_Sith
2012-05-23, 07:21 PM

One of my friends cut her hair in what she called her 'cyberpunk' style, with it buzzed on one side and short on the other with some styling. I'm not saying that all/many girls should try it but on her it looked fantastic/hawt.

Amiel
2012-05-23, 07:37 PM
I have relatively long hair - relative in respect to one of my friends who has hair of a length to his legs, one friend who has a long pony-tail and others who have shorter hair.

I like longer hair on me and depise short hair on my head, but find that my hair is often times unmanagable and unruly, and will puff out for no discernable reason.

Eldariel
2012-05-25, 07:51 AM

We range all across the spectrum, I believe. I, personally, prefer long hairs almost across the board, but of course there are exceptions; on some women, short hair fits to the T. All in all, I'd say it's almost always a factor of personal style but at least I find classical beauty usually most appealing so I mostly like long hairs.

willpell
2012-05-25, 08:06 AM
I've had hair down to my back since I was a teenager and have only ever gotten positive comments about it (some of which were from dudes who saw me from behind and thought I was a girl, but it's an acceptible risk if there's any chance of it getting me girls, which it hasn't actually done but has sometimes seemed to start toward that direction). I don't have any of the issues with it that the OP does, save perhaps for it being hot in the summer and I suspect my obesity is more of a factor there. In particular, I can't stand to ever cut even part of it, because when my hair is short it gets static electritity like crazy and is very uncomfortable. So even if I didn't get to resemble my rock-star and hippie idols this way, even if I didn't get compliments from girls and get to enjoy the way it feels on windy days (it is inconvenient getting it in my face, but again, worth it), I'd still keep it long just so its own weight would hold it in place and it wouldn't be sticking out in every direction ticking me off.

Women with short hair are cool too, though honestly I don't especially care, long or short, loose or wavy or ponytailed or in a bun, pretty much all are fine. The only thing I don't like girls doing with their hair is when they put it in frumpy curls, dreadlocks, cornrows, or other overcomplicated and off-putting styles. An easygoing or elegant look is best, but most looks I see fit that bill easily enough.

Tyndmyr
2012-05-25, 10:43 AM

Depends on the woman and the haircut. How well taken care of/styled it is matters a great deal more than the length, and I've seen some truly unfortunate hair that was kept long because women were raised to believe that long == beautiful.

Don't sweat the length, and find a style that fits you.

I have relatively long hair - relative in respect to one of my friends who has hair of a length to his legs, one friend who has a long pony-tail and others who have shorter hair.

If your hair is down to your legs, you need a haircut. It's probably frayed or dead at the ends, and seriously is going to get in the way of things. Hell, it can be a serious safety hazard at that length. There's long, and then there's insanely excessive.

Liffguard
2012-05-25, 05:03 PM

Just like dudes with long hair, it depends on the person. There's one girl I sorta know who's absolutely stunning with short hair but doesn't look nearly as good with her hair longer.

ShadowySilence
2012-05-26, 06:10 PM
I think long hair looks awesome on guys, I plan on growing mine out once I get to college (along with a nice beard and mustache combo as well :smallcool:).

I can see the downsides in having longer hair, but I think I could put up with it. *shrugs* :smalltongue:

grimbold
2012-05-28, 09:18 AM

floofy describes my hair nicely :P

Dallas-Dakota
2012-05-28, 11:23 AM
For ladies with short hair, I say nay....

Not knowing how to take care of your hair is not a good reason to cut it short....On almost all women I know, long hair looks better, with a couple of exceptions. Heck, I feel strongly enough about it that short hair can actually be a turn off...

Also...I don't have any control over my hair....I'm lucky it hasn't devoured me yet...Not for lack of trying!:smalltongue:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/398330_10151750769080103_915567364_n.jpg

Nameless
2012-05-29, 09:13 AM
I won't lie, long hair has been a pain for me in the past, (My hair hates certain kinds of weather... I'll leave it at that) and it's caused me quite a lot of social issues in the past. It can be a bit of a pain if I'm cosplaying and need to wear a wig, but I don't think I could ever go short. The pros generally outweigh the cons. I like having it long and enjoy how it feels. I get days where I think about cutting it much shorter, but I usually change my mind the following day.

Also, headbanging with short hair would just be silly. :smalltongue:

How it looks on guys? Generally speaking, I think longer hair looks better, but at the end of the day, it depends on the kind of hair he has and if long hair suits him. I've seen guys who look fantastic with short hair. Similarly with women really. Some women look good with long hair, some with short. However, it depends what you mean by "short" and "long". In most mainstream Western cultures, shoulder length hair, or even much shorter then that on a guy is referred to as "long", whilst on a girl, it would be considered "short". Personally, I see hair that's shorter then shoulder length on either sex as short.

DraPrime
2012-05-29, 09:15 AM

Nonsense, it encourages you to headbang all the harder to make up for the lack of hair. :smallamused:

Morph Bark
2012-05-29, 09:37 AM
Fact: the last time I was invited to a friend's place to work on a project with her, her brother remarked "headbanging should be totally your thing". Of course, he was the type to do that, but he was practically bald, and I had the longest hair at the table. (My friend had cut her hair the previous summer, before than it had been SUPER long.)

Fact: long hair looks good on either sex. And beyond.

Also fact: long hair = awesome in winter, less so in summer. /goingtogetaveryshorthaircuttoday

grimbold
2012-05-29, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm generally in favour of long hair on everybody, male or female, but it varies from case to case. There are some people who long hair really doesn't suit, although usually men rather than women in my experience.

I do know a couple of women who look good with short hair, although they look(ed) good with long hair too. So I think that's probably "I know some attractive women" rather than the hair length really having much to do with it.

aedilred is on point

Objection
2012-05-29, 02:42 PM

What about headbanging while bald?

I would link to a video but it contains certain content that I'm not sure is within the bounds of the forum rules.

CapnRedBeard
2012-05-29, 02:50 PM
I've always had long hair. Still do. It's a preference thing to me...I prefer to look how I prefer to look.

As to what you should do? Whatever you want. For whatever reasons you want. People place too little value on the little freedoms in life. They really are all you have.

Whoracle
2012-05-29, 03:31 PM
What about headbanging while bald?

While bald is preferrable to short hair when headbanging, nothing beats long hair in that regard. Take it from a pro *brag*

Harry
2012-05-30, 12:02 PM
Long hair here

grimbold
2012-05-30, 12:21 PM
While bald is preferrable to short hair when headbanging, nothing beats long hair in that regard. Take it from a pro *brag*

pfft
you and your melodeath:smalltongue:

Devmaar
2012-05-30, 12:30 PM
I have curly hair that just about reaches my shoulders normally and comes just past them wet.

I can't have it cut because of the cute 'no-squeal' my girlfriend does whenever it's suggested :smalltongue:

Whoracle
2012-05-30, 02:23 PM
pfft
you and your melodeath:smalltongue:

Ha! Tell it to my music library, black metal noob *ducks*runs away* :smallwink:

grimbold
2012-05-31, 02:01 PM
Ha! Tell it to my music library, black metal noob *ducks*runs away* :smallwink:

*Rolls up sleeves* oh, you wanna talk black metal?

lets do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVIHL8KVfcY)

Feyyore Dirkear
2012-06-03, 05:15 PM
I would say keep it. Tying it into a ponytail is good enough to keep you cool.
Long hair can be a pain I know I have it too as does my boyfriend hehe though his hair goes to his ass. :D Yes it can be a pain but if you personally like to have it that way then keep it. Other peoples opinions or criticisims do not matter your own does. If it gets in the way tie it. My boyfriend and I tend to tye it then put it inside a hoodie. Hood up and such. Keeps it out of the way and stops people pointing it out.

Either way. It's your hair. :3 Yours to do with how you wish.

Anteros
2012-06-03, 06:01 PM
Just as a general public service announcement. Guys are fine with long hair. The problem here is that a lot of guys are lazy and don't wash their long hair like they should. It ends up looking gross.