PDA

View Full Version : (3.X) Is this better than Lightning Reflexes et al? (P.E.A.C.H.)

DracoDei
2012-04-28, 11:45 AM
How does this compare to Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, and/or Iron Will?

Lesser Divine Grace
The god's have their eye on you.
Prerequisites: Character level 3, Charisma 13+
Benefits: You gain a +1 bonus to all saving throws.

This is more a calibration exercise for something else I am working on than what I would call a well-designed feat, and if I am doing this right, the feat as presented here should still be a sub-optimal choice, just like the three +2 feats. The version of it for that other project does other things as well.

Jane_Smith
2012-04-28, 11:52 AM
It already exists as "Luck of Heroes", with no requirements, and just a +1 bonus to all saving throws.

DracoDei
2012-04-28, 12:21 PM
It already exists as "Luck of Heroes", with no requirements, and just a +1 bonus to all saving throws.
In other words I should go ask about that feat in the roleplaying forums to see what its power level considered to be?

Jane_Smith
2012-04-28, 03:07 PM
I think its fairly weak myself. Nobody ever takes. I do not think in all my years of playing dnd, any player in any game I have personally been in has even considered taking it as part of there build. Thats just my opinion. Theres just to many other, better options for saving throws - such as strong soul, etc.

Anecronwashere
2012-04-28, 03:13 PM
Isn't Luck of Heroes a 1st-level Only Feat?

But yeah, that looks about right on par with Lightning Reflex and Iron Will

DracoDei
2012-04-28, 09:02 PM
I think its fairly weak myself. Nobody ever takes. I do not think in all my years of playing dnd, any player in any game I have personally been in has even considered taking it as part of there build. Thats just my opinion.

Isn't Luck of Heroes a 1st-level Only Feat?

But yeah, that looks about right on par with Lightning Reflex and Iron Will
Sounds like I am doing it about right then, given that the feat I am ACTUALLY trying to balance has the benefits of this one as a "kicker" to its actual intended benefit. Thought the basic benefit(which would require reading the class in question... it is the Grace-Gift (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229090), I will bump it in case anyone missed it the first time, and because I have updated it a good bit since the last time I bumped it.)

Theres just to many other, better options for saving throws - such as strong soul, etc.
Yeah, don't know most of those... I just know the Diamond Mind maneuvers, and maybe a few things that let you use a different stat for the modifier.

Jane_Smith
2012-04-29, 04:45 AM
Well for example - Strong Soul gives you +1 to fortitude and will saves, and bumps them up to +3 against any death effect, magic jar, or anything that targets your soul or life force basically. And negative levels, I think.

Lionheart was made in a supplement named "Path of the Sword". A fairly nice book with many new options for martial classes, but skill wise, feat, and training/special schooling benefits. Lionheart gives a +1 will save bonus, that becomes +5 vs. fear spells and effects.

Anyway, I suppose what im trying to say is - the best save feats are ones that give a bonus to 1-2 of the saves, and then, somehow, have a specific thing they get an even higher bonus again. A "Trigger" as you will. Like...

Picture Luck of Heroes, +1 to all saves. But once per day you can opt to gain a +2 luck bonus to any saving throw your about to make before the roll. If you fail, this usage is still used up for the day.

Yitzi
2012-04-29, 09:33 AM
I'd say it bears the same relation to Lightning Reflexes et al that the +2/+2 feats bear to skill focus. I think those are considered about equivalent, so this would probably be about equivalent to stuff like Lightning Reflexes (which are often considered somewhat underpowered.)

JoshuaZ
2012-04-29, 10:39 AM
I'd say it bears the same relation to Lightning Reflexes et al that the +2/+2 feats bear to skill focus. I think those are considered about equivalent, so this would probably be about equivalent to stuff like Lightning Reflexes (which are often considered somewhat underpowered.)

The +2/+2 feats are generally considered slightly weaker than skill focus unless one is an extremely skill-intensive class like rogue or factotum. However, I think your conclusion is still correct: +2/+2 feats are weaker in part because in a party someone else may be able to choose to make a skill check generally, so one would rather have slightly more attention to specific skills (hence skill focus being preferable). But that doesn't appear in this situation since one doesn't get the same sort of choice about what saves one is making.