PDA

View Full Version : Why am I in "Test mode" now?

hobbitkniver
2012-05-03, 07:48 PM
It's incredibly hot here and the power just went off for like 20 seconds. When I turned my computer back on, I'm now in test mode. I'm running Windows 7 and in my bottom right corner of the desktop, it says:

Test Mode
Windows 7
Build 7600

I think I may have lost some cookies or something because a couple of my accounts logged out that have never logged themselves out before. Is there anything I can't do in test mode and how do I get out?

I figured that some of you are tech savvy and certainly more so than me. Any help is appreciated.

Brother Oni
2012-05-03, 07:53 PM
When you say the power went off, do you mean you had a power cut, or your computer switched itself off?

Assuming the latter, it's probably because it overheated.

A quick check for 'Windows 7 Test Mode' throws up this page: link (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/bf2ca4ca-073c-48c3-bad2-15f47776b759).

First suggestion seems to be try rebooting and pressing F8 during the reboot to see if you can get out that way. Second suggestion is logging in as an administrator and doing some command prompt commands.

hobbitkniver
2012-05-03, 08:16 PM
No, it didn't overheat. My lights and everything else went off along with it. I think everyone turned out their air conditioning at the same time and they had a short failure and the whole grid went down.

ShadowHunter
2012-05-04, 01:40 AM
All test mode means (this is NOT safe mode), is that you are running with digitally unsigned device drivers. The fact that it kicked in after a power failure means something may have gone funky. Go to your start button menu, and in the search box type "sigverif"

Click ok when the dialog comes up, and post what the results are.

Test mode, by itself, isn't really anything, and there are bypasses to just remove the watermark. Regardless, you probably are using drivers that are digitally signed, so something unexpected has probably happened.