PDA

View Full Version : Girls of Myth [New RPG!]

Kensen
2012-05-06, 02:14 PM
Theme: The player characters are high school/college girls who wield the power of mythological creatures. To save the world, they have to fight bad guys of this world and monsters of the mysterious Otherworld.

Races & classes: Choose a mythological creature whose powers you harness: gorgon, valkyrie, succubus, banshee, kali, alkonost, dryad, yuki-onna, rusalka or witch.

Levels: You start at level 0 (ordinary girl) or 1 (you've unlocked your first power). On each level, you can unlock a new power. Your ability scores also increase with levels.

Abilities: Grace, Fury, Confidence and Acuity (renamed) Serenity. Different weapons and powers are powered by different abilities. Your abilities also boost your resistances.

Powers: Each class has three power paths. Each path has an entry level power, three levels with two powers on each level, and a capstone power (a total of 24 powers for each class). Generally speaking, a class usually has one standard attack path, one special attack path and one movement-related path. Each path, however, usually also has utility powers and powers that interact with powers from other paths. A valkyrie might, for example, use her Imbue Weapon power to imbue her magical spear with electricity.

Example classes and paths:
Valkyrie: Spear, Lightning, Flight. A Valkyrie can summon a magical spear. They can also imbue their body or weapons they wield with electricity, and when combined with her powerful throw ability, the valkyrie can throw the electrified spear like it was a lightning bolt. Furthermore, valkyries can learn to hover in the air, to make leap attacks, and to fly.
Medusa: Snakes, Gaze, Veil. Medusae can use their veil ability to stay unnoticed and unleash a paralyzing gaze attack. Their snakes can make poisonous melee attacks, and they can be used as arrows if the medusa wields a bow.
Kali: Arms, Mouth, Dance. Kalis can grow extra arms to make more attacks. Their dance of destructive frenzy allows them to move unhindered across the battlefield. They can also drink the blood of their enemies and while drunk on blood, enter a greater frenzy and heal their wounds.
Banshee: Death Aura, Wail, Phase Walk. Banshees can drain energy from their enemies with the death aura. Their wail can stun or scare their opponents. Phase walks allows them to turn insubstantial and phase through enemies for damage or to hide inside solid objects.

More info later. All info presented here is preliminary and subject to changes.

radmelon
2012-05-06, 02:28 PM
This idea is ridiculous, and I hope you carry on with it. Quite an original idea for an rpg, not really like anything I've seen before. I'm interested to see where you go with it.

Grinner
2012-05-06, 03:10 PM
This concept reminds me of an anime series.....Chaoshead?

Anyway, best of luck. :smallsmile:

Amechra
2012-05-06, 03:20 PM
I'm kinda reminded of Black Hole Girls. (http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/2008/12/23/kyawaii-rpg-4-black-hole-girls/)

Of course, I have to ask the question: why is it always high school/college age girls? That's what I want to know. I want my magical powers to be granted to old people, damn it!

I'm talking Geriatricd6, or something, where you play as an old person who gained superpowers, or something. I mean, come on, Old Man Jenkins is scary, but isn't he scarier with the powers of mythology?

It's just like how Prototype has no old or fat people? I mean, it would be hilarious to run up skyscrapers while morbidly obese, but no, you can only consume young. healthy people!

But yeah, might be amusing to give a look to your system when you are done.

Grinner
2012-05-06, 03:29 PM
Of course, I have to ask the question: why is it always high school/college age girls? That's what I want to know. I want my magical powers to be granted to old people, damn it!

I'm talking Geriatricd6, or something, where you play as an old person who gained superpowers, or something. I mean, come on, Old Man Jenkins is scary, but isn't he scarier with the powers of mythology?

Do you really want an old woman as your poster girl? :smallamused:

dethkruzer
2012-05-06, 03:38 PM
A very promising start, I think I'll keep an eye on this, and maybe see If my players want to try it once it's in a payable form.

Amechra
2012-05-06, 04:25 PM
Do you really want an old woman as your poster girl? :smallamused:

If that old lady is beating the crap out of a dragon with her walker, then yes.

Eurus
2012-05-06, 04:33 PM
Senior citizens with superpowers is a weakness of mine. I would love forever anyone who pulled that off.

dethkruzer
2012-05-07, 04:33 AM
I this in any way, shape or form inspired by the Shin Megami Tenesi series?

Kensen
2012-05-07, 05:30 AM
Senior citizens with superpowers is a weakness of mine. I would love forever anyone who pulled that off.

I'm kinda reminded of Black Hole Girls. (http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/2008/12/23/kyawaii-rpg-4-black-hole-girls/)

Hmm Black Hole Girls doesn't sound familiar. The teenage/young adult thing is all about targeting the game for a certain demographic profile. Playing elderly characters requires no changes in the game mechanics, just some re-fluffing. I'll write a "Sentinels of Old" expansion if someone pays me. :smalltongue: However, in the default setting the girls are young and whether there should be a game about old people should be discussed somewhere else.

This concept reminds me of an anime series.....Chaoshead?

Anyway, best of luck. :smallsmile:

Never heard of that anime, but I'll have a look at it. And thanks. :smallsmile:

This idea is ridiculous, and I hope you carry on with it. Quite an original idea for an rpg, not really like anything I've seen before. I'm interested to see where you go with it.

Thanks, I quite like the concept myself too, as ridiculous as it is. :smallsmile: I also intend to write rules for magical (and fashionable) heels, corsets and other clothes and accessories. Girls gotta look good when they fight, right?

A very promising start, I think I'll keep an eye on this, and maybe see If my players want to try it once it's in a payable form.

Thank you, I hope I'll get to that stage sometime soon. I'll definitely run a playtest here on GitP later.

Kensen
2012-05-07, 06:29 AM
I this in any way, shape or form inspired by the Shin Megami Tenesi series?

No, I'm afraid I don't know that one either. I googled it and noticed that there are indeed some similarities. My inspiration comes from the mythologies themselves, and from video games, movies and anime of the fantasy genre. I think I got the idea while playing Dungeon Siege III where there is an archon PC. It's been interesting to read about female monsters and deities and see what kind of powers people have attributed to them.

dethkruzer
2012-05-07, 07:18 AM
No, I'm afraid I don't know that one either. I googled it and noticed that there are indeed some similarities. My inspiration comes from the mythologies themselves, and from video games, movies and anime of the fantasy genre. I think I got the idea while playing Dungeon Siege III where there is an archon PC. It's been interesting to read about female monsters and deities and see what kind of powers people have attributed to them.

I would actually recommend googling Megaten wiki and checking it out, it could give some ideas in case you eve want to expand the system.

Cieyrin
2012-05-08, 01:18 PM

So like an RPG version of RED (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Red), though more supernatural? I'd pay for that. :smallbiggrin:

Kensen
2012-05-11, 05:38 AM
Fury

Fury represents your inner flame and the ability to generate and unleash physical and spiritual energy. Having a high Fury means that you are fast, strong and tough.

Offense: Fury powers attacks that require generating the maximum amount of power. (Examples: Hammer, lightning bolt)
Defense: Fury protects against attacks that test your physical hardiness or grit.
Utility: Fury helps with feats of strength and speed such as running, jumping or breaking down doors.

Grace

Grace represents the beauty and fluidity of motion, and controlling your body. Having a high Grace means that you move about effortlessly and stay on your feet even in the most difficult circumstances.
Offense: Grace powers attacks that require balance and supple motions of the body. (Examples: Light melee weapons, shuriken, strangling with prehensile hair)
Defense: Grace protects against attacks that can be avoided with nimble moves.
Utility: Grace helps with tasks where balance and flexibility are required such as sneaking around, squeezing through narrow spaces, walking a tightrope or dancing.

Serenity

Serenity represents the stillness of your mind, being in tune with the world, mental and sensory acuity, concentration, patience and preparedness. Having a high Serenity means that it is hard to surprise you and you know what is going on around you.

Offense: Serenity powers attacks that require just the right timing and great accuracy. (Examples: Archery, sniping)
Defense: Serenity defends against attacks that seek to upset the mind and attacks that can be evaded with precise timing.
Utility: Serenity helps with tasks that require patience, concentration and acuity such as picking a lock, searching a room or avoiding an ambush.

Confidence

Confidence represents your force of personality and belief in yourself. Having a high Confidence means that you are imposing, captivating, persuasive and intimidating.
Offense: Confidence powers attacks that overwhelm the opponent’s senses and mind. (Examples: Banshee’s wail, medusa’s gaze)
Defense: Confidence protects you against attacks that seek to wither or dissolve your ego or physical form.
Utility: Confidence helps with tasks related to performing in front of people and affecting other people’s opinions and actions, such as bargaining or singing.