PDA

View Full Version : The Breaker (base class) (PEACH)

Funinyourgame
2012-05-06, 04:15 PM
The Breaker
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5347/thebreakers.jpg
"If you don't see where it hurts, you're already dead..."- Dorkin, Dwarf Breaker

Every fighter, scout, rogue or barbarian have a certain style when they fight, but only one have mastered all of their style in one way of fighting. Even if they are not specialized in one way or another, they usually find themselves using a bit of every style. For example, learning how to strike with a particular weapon like a fighter, running around an enemy waiting for the best opportunity to hit your enemy like a scout, look for your enemy weakness like a rogue and break trough anything with all your might like a barbarian.

Adventures:The main reason for a Breaker to go adventuring is a test or an order from their master. Usually survive in the wild using what you learn is the best way to sharp your skills and understand what you learn. Most of the time it’s to learn new tactics from a new master hidden far from your home, finding him proves that you want to master the style of the Breakers.

Alignment:Most of the breaker will follow the alignment of their first master. Even if its next master doesn't fit their believes, most of the Breaker will be lawful since they have to do what their master told them to do until they became themself a master of the Breaker style.

Religion: Breakers don't believes in any kind of deity, most of them will believe in what their race believe. Some of them will choose to worship Hextor (if they are Evil) thinking he will grant them an easier understanding of the fighting style, others will worship Kord hopping he will help them in long fight with endurance and strength.

Background:Breakers start they training almost at the same time city guards start theirs. Breakers are chosen while captains judge the new recruits searching for the best candidate to protect the citizen. Sometimes a very few candidate are take separately from others to be train by a Breaker Master, he usually chose them by the style they fight. It depend on how the chosen one defeat its enemy, if he used long term tactics (like tiring his opponent or incapacitate them with a well place hit) without trying to kill its target (even if wooden sword don't usually kill).

During their training, each of them will try to exceed the others in combat skill or in creativity with their style. Even if they usually don’t work with each other, they don’t try to fight between themselves outside the training ground. They also have a good respect in other official Breakers.

Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: D10
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Internal Damage

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Underhanded Blow

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Serenity (1/day)

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Momentum +2

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Hard Hit +1, Temporary recuperation

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Internal Damage

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Serenity (2/day)

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Momentum +4, Destroyer

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Powerful Momentum, Try again (1/encounter)

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Hard Hit +2, Total recuperation

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Serenity (3/day), Internal Damage

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Momentum +6, Try again (2/encounter)

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Physical repercussion

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Health diagnostic

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Serenity (4/day), Hard Hit +3, Try again (3/encounter)

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Momentum +8, Internal Damage

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Devastating Charge

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Try again (4/encounter)

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Serenity (5/day)

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Being Breaker, Momentum +10, Hard Hit +4
[/table]

Class features:All of the following are class features of the Breaker.

Weapon and Armour proficiency:The Breaker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. He is also proficient with light and medium armours and can use any kind of shields (except from exotic and tower shields).

Internal Damage(Ex):The Breaker trains most of its life to strike where you can't see it coming--from behind. If the Breaker deals bludgeoning damage, the target suffers from increasingly worse penalties that stack at the end of the target's turn, chosen from the list below:

Arm Breaker: -1/-2/-3/-4 to Str-related modifier.
Armor Crusher: -1/-2/-3/-4 to AC.
Lung Puncture: 1d4/2d4/2d6/3d6 damage.
Foot Obliterate: -5/-10/-15/-20 ft. land/swim speed.
Head Shot: -1/-2/-3/-4 to Int-related modifier.
Spinal Column Hit: -1/-2/-3/-4 to Dex-related modifier.

A single creature may only be affected by two effects at the same time. The internal damage stops after five rounds at first level. At 6th level, and at every fifth level after (11th, 16th), the duration increases by five rounds. An affected creature is allowed a Fortitude save of DC 10 + 1/2 class levels + Wis modifier to resist the internal damage, stopping the effect from continuing, also a Heal check of the same DC heal you of the same amount each turn. At the same levels, the internal damage increases, as shown in the list above (the first number shows the penalty at 1st level, the second at 6th level, and so on). The creature must have a bones or any kind of articulation (so ooze, elemental and creatures like them) are immune to this ability.

Underhanded Blow (Ex): At 2nd level, the breaker is able to catch an opponent off guard and force them to pay. If the breaker attacks an enemy who has been denied their Dexterity modifier to AC, the penalty and DC for internal damage increase by 1.

Serenity (Ex): At 3rd level, a breaker is capable of entering a state of peace as a free action. During this time, the breaker gains a +4 bonus to Wisdom and Will saving throws. In addition, internal damage's save DC is increased by 2 for the duration. This state lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the breaker's (newly improved) Wis modifier. Upon leaving this state, the breaker's introduction to the harsh world leaves him sickened for 3 rounds or until the end of the encounter, whichever ends first.

A breaker can enter this state of peace only once per encounter. At 3rd level, he can use his serenity ability once per day. At 7th level, and at every fourth level after (11th, 15th, 19th), he can use it one additional time per day.

Momentum (Ex): At 4th level, the breaker can move and attack in one fluid motion, leaving destruction in his wake. If the breaker moves 10 feet or more in one round and then attacks, he get a +2 bonus to hit and damage.

At 8th level, and at every fourth level after (12th, 16th, 20th), the bonus increases by +2.

Hard Hit: You know where it hurts most and how to strike there. Starting at level 5 and every fifth level after, as part of an attack, you add the amount indicated in the table above to the DC of your Internal Damage ability.

Temporary recuperation: During your training you learned how to heal broken bones and joint dislocation. Each 10 minutes you attend to a perso who have ability damage, you heal 1 point of temporary physical ability damage per 5 rank in heal. Only one ability damage at a time (STR, DEX and CON are one type each).

Destroyer(Ex): If you make an attack and it hits the target, you are able to know and overcome any kind of damage reduction or hardness it has for the rest of your turn. This is usable once per encounter per enemy.

Try Again(Ex):If you miss two or more attacks in a single round, you can make an extra attack at your highest base attack bonus a number of times indicated in the table above.

Powerful Momentum (Ex): At 9th level, the breaker's ability to attack while on the move improves. If the breaker moves 20 feet or more in one round and then attacks, he not only deals bonus damage, but also may attempt to bull rush or trip the enemy at a +4 bonus. If the breaker fails to trip, the target does not get a trip attempt in return.

Total recuperation: Same as temporary recuperation, but you can now heal permanent ability damage you want.

Physical Repercussion(Ex):At 13th level, your attacks are devastating and your enemy's body wants to stop the pain at any cost. As part of an attack, you can exploit this weakness to cause a status condition. Each successful attack made in this way worsens the condition, as shown below:

Fatigued/Exhausted/Unconscious
Sickened/Stunned/Helpless

To prevent any of these effects, the target must make a Fortitude save of DC 10 + 1/2 class levels + Wis modifier. This ability counts as precision damage for the purposes of immunity.

Health diagnostic(Ex): You know, with only one look at the ennemy, if he/she got any kind of health anormality. If the creature would normally let you make a heal check, you can use it so the duration of internal damage goes up after you hit the target. Heal check DC = 10+HD of the ennemy, every 5 point of difference give a bonus round to internal damage, listed below.

{table=head]DC difference|Bonus round
5|1
10|2
15|3
20+|4
[/table]

Devastating Charge(EX): When you make a charge at the ennemy, you can use your devastating charge ability. If you sucessfully hit the target and this one is affected by one or more penalities from internal damage you make him lose his next fortiude roll conserning Internal damage.

Being Breaker(Ex): You have finally mastered every thing the Breaker style has to offer, you achieved so few succed. Has a proof to your accomplishement, you know how to defeate your opponent in the blink of an eye. Once per encounter, you can use "Being Breaker" that last for 3 rounds. This abilty let you make a full attack has a standard action and every succesfull hit force your ennemy to roll every fortitude saves he most normally do in the end of your turn (even if its due to the poison from someone else). Every time he succed his save, the same save gain a DC bonus of +2 (stack with itself and other bonus) until he fail that save (wich put the bonus to +0 from this ability).

bobthe6th
2012-05-06, 09:41 PM
(man I feel bad about the grammar Natziing but) the abuse of grammatical structure hurts my eyes. please at least be consistent with tense...

will comment tomarow, busy.

Funinyourgame
2012-05-06, 09:50 PM
I'm looking foward to it, also since English is not my mother language I'm most apologize if I use word to correct my answer. :smallfrown:

Anyway thank you for your notice and understanding.

Temotei
2012-05-06, 11:09 PM
English corrections and suggestions in bold. After the bold, I'll include a bit about abilities for dead levels, as per your request.

The Breaker

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Change "1d10" to "d10," since 1d10 implies you get one Hit Die for your entire career as a breaker. That wouldn't be good.

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

You'll need some class skills. I recommend the following:

Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

It's hard to come up with class skills without fluff, though. Feel free to add more class skills that fit your concept of the class.

Internal Damage:The Breaker train most of its life to strike where you can't see the damage without attacking from behind. Will you use any bludgeoning you can do internal damage that get worst every turn. You chose what is the internal damage from the list below which stack each turn with itself and you can only affect the same creature with a max of 2 internal damage:

Arm breaker:-1/-2/-3/-4 to STR based roll
Armor crusher:-1/-2/-3/-4 to AC
Lung punctured:-1d4/-2d4/-2d6/-3d6 HP
Foot obliterate:-5ft/-10ft/-15ft/-20ft land/swim speed
Head shot:-1/-2/-3/-4 INT based roll
Spinal column fragilized:-1/-2/-3/-4 DEX based roll

The internal damage stop after 5 turn at first level and 5 more every 5 level after. Each turn the affected creature must do a fortitude save (DC= 10+sag mod+½ class level) to resist the internal damage. Each 5 level after the first, the internal damage up by 1 (already written in the table above (each separate with "/")).

I'll rewrite this to the best of my ability:

"The Breaker trains most of its life to strike where you can't see it coming--from behind. If the Breaker deals bludgeoning damage, the target suffers from increasingly worse penalties that stack at the end of the Breaker's turn, chosen from the list below:

Arm Breaker: -1/-2/-3/-4 to Str-based rolls.
Armor Crusher: -1/-2/-3/-4 to AC.
Lung Puncture: 1d4/2d4/2d6/3d6 damage.
Foot Obliterate: -5/-10/-15/-20 ft. land/swim speed.
Head Shot: -1/-2/-3/-4 to Int-based rolls.
Spinal Column Hit: -1/-2/-3/-4 to Dex-based rolls.

A single creature may only be affected by two effects at the same time. The internal damage stops after five rounds at first level. At 6th level, and at every fifth level after (11th, 16th), the duration increases by five rounds. An affected creature is allowed a Fortitude save of DC 10 + 1/2 class levels + Str modifier to resist the internal damage, stopping the effect from continuing. At the same levels, the internal damage increases, as shown in the list above (the first number shows the penalty at 1st level, the second at 6th level, and so on)."

Hard Hit: You know where it hurt to most and how to strike them. starting at level 5 and every 5th level after, has part has one of your normal attack, you can add a bonus to the DC of "Internal Damage" equal has to one write in the table.

"You know where it hurts most and how to strike there. Starting at level 5 and every fifth level after, as part of an attack, you add the amount indicated in the table above to the DC of your Internal Damage ability."

Destroyer: If you make a normal attack and it hit the target you can know if it have any kind of DR or hardness and overcome it for the rest of your turn usable 1 time on each creature.

"If you make an attack and it hits the target, you are able to know and overcome any kind of damage reduction or hardness it has for the rest of your turn. This is usable once per encounter per enemy."

Try Again: If you miss 2 times or more you can make one extra attack with your highest BAB a number of times indicated in the table above.

"If you miss two or more attacks in a single round, you can make an extra attack at your highest base attack bonus a number of times indicated in the table above."

Physical Repercussion: At 13th level, your attacks are devastating and the body of your enemy wants to stop the pain at any cost. Has part of a normal attack you can activate that ability alone to put a condition on your enemy, each success worsens your enemy condition. You can choose the condition below and only one by creature:

to prevent it, the affected creature must do a fortitude save (DC=10+SAG mod+½ class level), also this ability is count has precision damage for immunity.

"At 13th level, your attacks are devastating and your enemy's body wants to stop the pain at any cost. As part of an attack, you can exploit this weakness to cause a status condition. Each successful attack made in this way worsens the condition, as shown below:

To prevent any of these effects, the target must make a Fortitude save of DC 10 + 1/2 class levels + Str modifier. This ability counts as precision damage for the purposes of immunity."

Firstly, I didn't know what to do with "SAG mod," so I made it equal Strength modifier. My first thought was that of "sagacity," but that wouldn't really make sense for this class, bruiser as it is. If Strength doesn't fit your concept, just change it to whatever fits it.

As for the dead levels, I recommend some active abilities. Currently, all you have are features that require attacking and just tacking on an effect to those attacks. The class itself has little depth.

So, suggestions:

Add fluff or say something about your concept. The class itself gives a vibe of a brutal warrior to me, but it could be a tough tricky class, as well. Fluff will help determine class skills and what abilities fit the class.
Add a capstone. There should be a reason to take your class to 20th level. You could have the breaker be able to make a sort of sweep attack where he can hit multiple enemies with Internal Damage or Physical Repercussion, or you could have him able to kill an enemy outright with a saving throw, or multiple enemies, even (with a limit on uses per day or something).
Clear up the wording on Internal Damage. I think the penalty is supposed to increase each round, but I'm not sure. Does the penalty increase indefinitely until a save is made? Does it stay after a save is made or does the penalty disappear?

I've not got much inspiration right now for abilities. I'll get back to you if that changes. Good luck.

EDIT: Don't sweat it on the English errors. Learning a language is difficult. I've heard English is one of the hardest to learn. In the meantime, just do your best. :smallsmile:

Empedocles
2012-05-06, 11:27 PM
(man I feel bad about the grammar Natziing but) the abuse of grammatical structure hurts my eyes. please at least be consistent with tense...

will comment tomarow, busy.

Tomorrow. Just struck me as ironic :smalltongue:

As to this class...I can't think of that many class features really, but here are a few.

Bypassing DR with hits.
Dealing constitution damage.

and that's all I can think of :smallconfused: I'll post again if I think of anything else.

Funinyourgame
2012-05-07, 03:09 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, for me SAG (sagesse) wich is in french is WIS (Wisdom) in English.

I decide Wisdom instead of Str because it not far from stunning fist like the monk or other pressure points. Also it will be used for 1 or 2 abilities that use Heal check. To help, I put a bit more fluff so you can understand the mentality of the class.

Have a nice day :smallcool:

Temotei
2012-05-08, 03:24 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, for me SAG (sagesse) wich is in french is WIS (Wisdom) in English.

Ah, French. Sagacity wasn't far off at all, then. Should have gone with my instinct.

The introductory paragraph says the class combines the styles of the fighter, rogue, barbarian, and scout. However, the class itself feels more like a fighter with a rogue twist.

To fix that, you could make a feature sort of like sneak attack fit into internal damage. For example:

Underhanded Blow (Ex): At 2nd level, the breaker is able to catch an opponent off guard and force them to pay. If the breaker attacks an enemy who has been denied their Dexterity modifier to AC, the penalty and DC for internal damage increase by 1.

This adds tactics to the breaker while enforcing the main feature, internal damage.

Here's another, along the lines of the scout:

Momentum (Ex): At 4th level, the breaker can move and attack in one fluid motion, leaving destruction in his wake. If the breaker moves 10 feet or more in one round and then attacks, he deals an additional 1d6 damage.

At 8th level, and at every fourth level after (12th, 16th, 20th), the damage increases by 1d6.

You could then expand on that, adding an ability along the same lines at a higher level that adds even more depth.

Powerful Momentum (Ex): At 9th level, the breaker's ability to attack while on the move improves. If the breaker moves 20 feet or more in one round and then attacks, he not only deals bonus damage, but also may attempt to bull rush or trip the enemy at a +4 bonus. If the breaker fails to trip, the target does not get a trip attempt in return.

This leaves 3rd level as a purely dead level, so let's try to fill that in with an aspect of the barbarian.

Serenity (Ex): At 3rd level, a breaker is capable of entering a state of peace as a free action. During this time, the breaker gains a +4 bonus to Wisdom and Will saving throws. In addition, internal damage's save DC is increased by 2 for the duration. This state lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the breaker's (newly improved) Wis modifier. Upon leaving this state, the breaker's introduction to the harsh world leaves him sickened for 3 rounds or until the end of the encounter, whichever ends first.

A breaker can enter this state of peace only once per encounter. At 3rd level, he can use his serenity ability once per day. At 7th level, and at every fourth level after (11th, 15th, 19th), he can use it one additional time per day.

This gives some more flavor to the class and fits in the final class of the four you listed. That leaves only a couple of dead levels in the class. I'm kind of out of ideas, though. Maybe you'll think of something. Otherwise, just leave them dead.

I strongly urge you to create a capstone, however. Again, there should be incentive to take this class to level 20.

Funinyourgame
2012-05-09, 12:44 AM
Temotei....you are my hero!

Might change a little bit the momentum (giving more chance to hit instead of d6) but everything you tought fit perfectly to this class. I'm giving you a special place in my thanks for this class that's for sure. I will add them shortly, thanks again.

Have a nice day everyone :smallcool:

Temotei
2012-05-09, 01:53 AM
Temotei....you are my hero!

Might change a little bit the momentum (giving more chance to hit instead of d6) but everything you tought fit perfectly to this class. I'm giving you a special place in my thanks for this class that's for sure. I will add them shortly, thanks again.

Have a nice day everyone :smallcool:

No problem at all. :smallsmile:

Funinyourgame
2012-05-09, 12:48 PM
The Breaker Is finally finish!

I want to thank everyone above for your help and support for this class, it's way more complet that my first try. I want to Thank Fye121 since he help me work on it from the shadow, help me work on name and little details (like skill point and proficiency). A special thanks to Temotei since without is idea for the dead levels I would still be working to find good abilities to fill them up and might not be has great, also thank for your help rewritting my abilities so most of the people can now understand them. Its now safe to say that the Breaker is in PEACH mode.

Thank you and ahev a nice day. :smallcool:

Funinyourgame
2012-05-13, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone, just making a little post to get my thread up for a little time. I really wish to know if my class is completed or if it needs some nerfing, if this class is ready to play I really need to know, its going to be very good for my futur homebrewing (first class 1 week work and everything is good kind of put me in the mood).

Thank you for your concern and have a nice day :smallcool:

silphael
2012-05-13, 01:57 PM
Funin, you might want to add some out of combat abilities to your breaker, because as it is, you're doing notyhing out of the battle.

Funinyourgame
2012-05-13, 02:30 PM
I add the new ability of Physical and Mental recuperation too add a bit more use to the heal skill of the class and to give this class more reason to play. It is an out-combat ability so it doesn't take the place of the cleric or paladin for the ability damage healing in-combat. Hope it will do the trick.

Thank for your proposition and have a nice day.

Funinyourgame
2012-05-18, 12:05 PM
FYI, I decide to add a specification to the internal damage and I also change Physical and mental recuperation for temporary and total recuperation.

Hope its better and have a nice day.