PDA

View Full Version : [d&d 3.5 PrC] Lord of the Wild: The Royalty of Gaia

Lix Lorn
2012-05-09, 05:15 PM
Lord of the Wild
”Nature saw our god-kings, and decided to one-up us.”

Background: A Lord of the Wild is a druid driven beyond understanding the wild, pushed past the balance and into the fury of nature and the wrath of a world out of sync. A Lord of the Wild forges an army out of the beasts of the world, and strikes down the civilisation that puts it at risk, while giving the gift of power and knowledge to the beasts-just to settle the balance.
Races: Race is all but irrelevant to the Lords. They are rare, and the circumstances that cause one to emerge can happen among essentially any species.
Other Classes: Many Druids view Lords with the same deference they receive from the beasts and beings of the wild they lead, while some think they go too far. Some Paladins find common ground with their quest, while others consider them extreme-or merely oppose everything they fight for.
Role: A Lord can function as a divine spellcaster, or as a combatant, while their animal companions grant utility from their various abilities, as well as numbers.
Lords of the Wild in the World: While Lords vary a lot, the thing they all have in common is power-in some way, they all rule the wild. Many style themselves like kings among the beings of nature, while some consider themselves a form of messiah.
Inspiration: Hunter’s Intellect was the first ability, coming out of wanting to make Animal Companions more interesting. The rulership theme was added because of a character I’m making.

Prerequisites
Special: Animal Companion, ability to cast Magic Fang, character level 6th.

HD: d6
Class Skills: The Lord of the Wild’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Oratory) (Cha), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points per Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier

Level
BaB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special
Manifesting

+0
+2
+0
+2
Hunter’s Intellect
-

+1
+3
+0
+3
Magic of the Lord
+1 spellcasting level (Special)

+1
+3
+1
+3
Veil of Civilisation (Wild Shape (+1/day))
+1 spellcasting level

+2
+4
+1
+4
Known of the Forests
-

+2
+4
+1
+4
Wild Paragon +1
+1 spellcasting level

+3
+5
+2
+5
Nature’s Liege
+1 spellcasting level

+3
+5
+2
+5
Wild Shape (+2/day)
-

+4
+6
+2
+6
Spark of Sentience
+1 spellcasting level

+4
+6
+3
+6
Mantle of the Wild King
+1 spellcasting level

+5
+7
+3
+7
Master of the Old Places, Wild Paragon +2
-

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Lord of the Wild gains no new weapon or armour proficiencies.

Hunter’s Intellect: A Lord of the Wild does not command mindless beasts-his servants ascend, loyal captains in the legions of nature. A Lord’s Animal Companion(s) are awakened to higher intelligence, gaining Intelligence 4+2d6 and +1d3 Charisma. In addition, they can make use of their newfound intelligence to learn new arts-whenever they would gain an Animal Companion HD from your levels in this class, they may instead gain levels in a character class. They may not have more character levels than they have monster hit die. As an additional benefit, every second time they gain attributes from their animal companion status, you may improve their mental stats by one each instead of their str/dex. For any effect based on character level, their animal HD count as 1/2 a level each.

At tenth level, this ability upgrades-they may continue taking character levels even with HD gained as animal companions for other classes.

Lord of the Wild levels count as levels of the class that gave the character an Animal Companion for progression of their Animal Companion(s).

Magic of the Lord: If a Lord of the Wild has levels in a full spellcasting class such as Druid, the levels gained at 2nd and subsequent levels stack with those as shown in the table.

If they have spellcasting from a nature based half-casting class such as Ranger or Beastmaster, then they may trade in their spellcasting for the spells per day of a Druid of half their level, and then add their spellcasting levels to that level. If they do so, they gain a greater advantage than a druid would-they gain spellcasting levels from Lord of the Wild at 2nd level and each subsequent level
(A Druid 6/Lord 2 would cast as a seventh level Druid. A Ranger 6/Lord 2 would cast as a Druid 4.)

At tenth level, this ability upgrades-they may continue to substitute two levels of half-casting for single levels of full casting.

Veil of Civilisation (Su): A third level Lord focusses on his shapeshifting abilities.
He gains an additional use of any one Wild Shape ability he already has, or gains Wild Shape 1/day as a Druid if he doesn’t. He gains another additional use at 7th level. Lord of the Wild levels three and beyond advance Wild Shape’s abilities, as if levels of the class that granted them.

In addition, his Animal Companion(s) gain the ability to take on humanoid form. Doing so functions identically to Wild Shape, but allows them to take on Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid forms only. They subtract the LA and HD of the chosen race, and fill the rest of their HD allotment with plain HD.
(Potentially, there could be feats allowing access to Outsiders or other similar types, but be careful)

They may use this pseudo-Wild Shape ability a number of times a day each equal to half the number of times you may, and treat their Druid level as equal to half your own. (If you may Wild Shape at will, treat that as being 8/day)

Known of the Forests: At 4th level, a Lord of the Wild is recognised by not just the beasts of the world, but the world itself. He gains a +2 bonus to diplomacy checks made against animals, fey, magical beasts and plants. If the target has even been subject to the ‘Awaken’ spell by the Lord, this is increased to a +4 bonus.

Wild Paragon: At fifth and tenth level, a Lord of the Wild grows closer to the animals she leads. She treats her level as being one higher for the purposes of working out the abilities of her animal companions, as well as for checking her eligibility for a companion with a level adjustment. In addition, she increases the damage of her natural attacks when using Wild Shape as if she had increased by one size.

Nature’s Liege: A sixth level Lord is a rising star-their power and quest Is spreading through the world, and animals come to them.
They gain the leadership feat as a bonus feat, gaining animals (Or plants, or other suitably natural beings) as followers (Treating their CR as their character level), but do not gain a cohort. Instead, they gain an additional Animal Companion, with the same effective level as their other Animal Companion(s). (The highest, if they have different levels.)
As an additional benefit, Awaken does not have an exp cost when used upon the Lord’s followers-in fact, other Lords would be disgusted with a Lord who did not awaken his followers.

Spark of Sentience (Su): A Lord of eighth level can awaken with but a touch. They may cast Awaken as a spell like ability at will, although must pay exp costs as normal.

Mantle of the Wild King: A ninth level Lord is coming into their true power, and the world ceases to treat him as an equal. He becomes immune to all natural diseases and poisons, and no longer ages at all. He will not die from old age, but can still be killed by damage, spells, unnatural effects and similar.
Animals will never attack him willingly (unless provoked, of course), and forcing them to do so imposes a penalty on any Handle Animal checks equal to half the Lord’s class level, and allows the animal a new will save with a bonus of equal size to remove any enchantment effect that would force them to attack the Lord.

Master of the Old Places: A tenth level Lord is the prophet of nature, ruler and guardian of the wild places. A number of times a day equal to the ability modifier he uses to cast spells, he may cause growth (or some other naturalisation-flooding, gales, sandstorms…) on a massive scale. This growth is too slow to meaningfully harm creatures, but optionally can deal 100 damage to any or all structures in the area (Lord’s choice). The growth stretches out to a radius from the Lord equal to 75ft for each caster level he has.

Additionally, the Lord can speak to the spirits of nature. Whenever he is in a large, natural area (deserts, arctic flats and forests qualify, but villages rarely do and cities almost never), he may ask questions of the area. He may not ask more questions in a day than his Lord level. The spirits will know a lot about their area, but are unlikely to know about events outside.

userpay
2012-05-15, 10:48 AM
Another interesting class. While it should be noted that I'm terrible at balancing getting what appears to be two full progression animal companions that also have some class levels while only taking out two spellcasting levels strikes me as being somewhat OP for Druids but probably perfect for Rangers. That said it does fit the fluff very well in that respect. I love that the companions are awakened and still remain animal companions as it does give me an alternate option from using Arcane Hierophant to beable to talk to my companion without spells. Better yet they can talk to others as well.

Virdish
2012-05-15, 12:47 PM
I hate to say it cause I like the class but this is straight up OP. There is a reason that awakened animal's are not aloud to serve as a druid's companion RAW because. Not only that but giving them class levels? That is asking for an already Tier one class to take levels in this and stomp the floor with anything. Especially because you are only giving up two levels of spellcasting.

SiuiS
2012-05-29, 03:44 AM
Neat. Can't fault you for concept, luv.

How would this work with the feat that gives you +3 levels for animal companions up to your current HD? As it stands now I think it would work like ghoul gauntlet, where a specific cool power actually interferes with the persnicketiness of the rules as they are...

Lix Lorn
2012-07-26, 06:19 PM
Oh wow did I not see posts here? Why did I never reply?

Another interesting class. While it should be noted that I'm terrible at balancing getting what appears to be two full progression animal companions that also have some class levels while only taking out two spellcasting levels strikes me as being somewhat OP for Druids but probably perfect for Rangers. That said it does fit the fluff very well in that respect. I love that the companions are awakened and still remain animal companions as it does give me an alternate option from using Arcane Hierophant to beable to talk to my companion without spells. Better yet they can talk to others as well.
It's certainly strong for druids, although notice how badly it progresses Wild Shape by comparison.
I may make it better for rangers/beastmasters and worse for druids.

It bugged me that companions couldn't be awakened. I can see why it's not a thing you can do as default, but I wanted a way.

I hate to say it cause I like the class but this is straight up OP. There is a reason that awakened animal's are not aloud to serve as a druid's companion RAW because. Not only that but giving them class levels? That is asking for an already Tier one class to take levels in this and stomp the floor with anything. Especially because you are only giving up two levels of spellcasting.
And what is that reason? What is the mechanical reason that awakened animals cannot serve as companions?
More importantly, what's the FLUFF reason?

What's more, they have HALF the class levels that they have HD. At twentieth level, a druid 10/Lord 10 gives +14 HD to their companion (let's say a wolf)
This wolf has 15HD. So it can have 7 class levels. Heck, let's say the DM was drunk and let them round up. Eight class levels.

Your level twenty character has two companions with eight class levels.
Whoopdeedoo. :smallsigh:

Neat. Can't fault you for concept, luv.

How would this work with the feat that gives you +3 levels for animal companions up to your current HD? As it stands now I think it would work like ghoul gauntlet, where a specific cool power actually interferes with the persnicketiness of the rules as they are...
Thanks. (slow) xD

Hmm. RAW, it would work with all companions, I think, but not play nice with Wild Paragon.
I'd have it apply to one companion, but apply before the boost from paragon, so a Fighter 3/Druid 10/Lord 10 would get the 22 animal companion he deserves, and not the 20 that RAW would give him. I'd also let them buy it repeatedly for extra companions.