PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Race] Monster lite again: The Equitarian, or Lesser Centaur

Lix Lorn
2012-05-09, 10:01 PM
EQUITARIAN or LESSER CENTAURS

While their larger cousins are tribal beings, and hunters, the Equitarians are friendly, inquisitive, and creative. Often, they find themselves absorbed into other settlements, and their history is littered with occasions where they suffered for their naivete. Yet they persevere, and keep smiling.

TYPICAL EQUITARIANS
Most Equitarians are agile, with the stamina of true horses. They’re unfailingly friendly, always smiling, and good with their hands. They like to spend their time running, but enjoy just standing and watching the world too. Often, they love some form of art-many Equitarians are excellent painters, and some can sculpt beautifully.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
An Equitarian looks human from the waist up. They generally have light skin and fair hair, a lithe figure and gentle, tapered fingers eminently suited for detail. From the waist down, however, they are quite different-a small horse, in fact. Breeds vary, but they tend towards lighter colours, and tend to be agile, sure footed varieties rather than the powerful workhorses. Often, they are actually shorter than true humans, coming in at five and a half feet tall or less.

Relations With Other Races
In general Equitarians are integrated into other communities where they are found. Sometimes they join groups of their cousins, but often they join the settlements of other races, serving as artists or even light cavalry-or the steeds for them. Sadly, in the past, they were often misused in such a manner. Some groups have used Equitarians as dumb animals, training them the same way as simple horses. Fortunately, the practice has mostly died out-several large groups have placed their support behind Equitarians as a race, and enslaving them is looked down upon more strongly than most other races.

Alignment
Equitarians tend towards the chaotic and good ends of the alignment spectrum, although this is by no means a hard rule. Their spread out nature makes most Equitarians live in societies not their own, and many influences can shape their lives.

Equitarian Lands
Few Equitarians lands still exist, but rumours of small communities primarily made up of the small taurics persist even today.

Religion
Religious views differ among Equitarians, but many follow deities of art and creativity. Oddly, the draconic deity Hlal is a favourite, her fondness for stories meshing well with the proclivities of the lesser centaurs.

Language
Some groups insist that Equitarians once had their own tongue, but if they ever did, it has long since died out. Nowadays, Equitarians speak common, or the language of the society in which they live.

Common Names
Equitarians have a fondness for gentle names, soft names and flowing names, often using elven names. By and large, their naming practices fall within similar bounds as humans, or other nearby races.

Adventurers
Equitarians are curious, adventurous and very social-three traits that make them perfectly suited to adventuring. They often become bards, but some imitate the traditions of their older cousins and instead choose the path of a warrior or archer.

Equitarian Racial Traits
Abilities: Dex +2, Con +2. Equitarians are agile, and their forms give them stamina.
Size: Medium.
Type: An Equitarian is a monstrous humanoid. They are not subject to spells or effects that affect only humanoids, such as dominate person or charm person.
Movement Rate: 60ft.
Noble Steed: As tauroids, Equitarians are quadrupedal creatures. Their carrying capacity is 1.5 times larger than a bipedal creature of their size.
Equitarians are capable of carrying riders of medium size or smaller, presuming their carrying capacity is high enough.
They do double damage when charging with lances, as if they were mounted.
Equitarians have two hoof attacks, which are considered secondary natural weapons and therefore take a -5 penalty. They deal 1d3+1.5 Str mod damage on a successful hit.
As a Tauroid, Equitarians do not have a Boot slot. They may, however, utilise Horseshoe items, and most items made in boot form can function as Horseshoes just as easily.
Rather than the Ride skill, an Equitarian can take ranks in 'Be Ridden'. Making a Be Ridden check is identical to a rider's Ride check. The higher check applies.
Nimble Fingers: Equitarians are preternaturally skilled at close, delicate work. They gain a +2 racial bonus to craft checks.
Innocence: Equitarians are easily fooled, but something about them seems positively sweet. They gain a +1 racial bonus on diplomacy rolls, but suffer a -1 penalty to sense motive rolls.
Favoured Class: Bard or Ranger. A Equitarian's highest level Bard or Ranger class doesn't count against him or her when determining experience point penalties for multiclassing.
LA:+1

Racial Feats
Ironback Steed
Prerequisites: Con 15, quadruped
Benefit: Your carrying capacity is increased by half of a bipedal creature of your size's carrying capacity. For an Equitarian, this gives double normal carrying capacity.
In addition, you treat any living creature riding you to possess only half his normal weight.
Normal: The lithe, five foot pony can't pull a wagon.

Workhorse
Prerequisites: Con 17, Ironback Steed
Benefit: Your carrying capacity is increased by a bipedal creature of your size's carrying capacity. For an Equitarian, this gives triple normal carrying capacity.
In addition, you halve the weight of armor and worn equipment belonging to any creature riding you.
Normal: Physics objects when your rider wears full plate.

Magic Items
Nimbus Horseshoes
These white horseshoes, an improved version of the Horseshoes of the Zephyr created by Equitarian artificiers, come in a set of four. When affixed to an animal’s hooves, they allow the animal to walk on air, with the same effects as a permanent version of Air Walk. Most animals require training to do this safely, skillfully, and without fear, as described in the spell. All four shoes must be worn by the same animal for the magic to be effective.

Faint Transmutation, CL 7th, Craft Wondrous Item, Air Walk, Price 50,000gp, Weight 4lb for four

enderlord99
2012-05-12, 10:28 AM
Human from the waist up? That's good. I was afraid they wouldn't be.

EDIT: If they weren't, it would be too mainstream.

Lix Lorn
2012-05-12, 02:04 PM
:smallconfused:
I think I'm missing something. Are you implying ponies?

Nighthawk_986
2012-05-12, 04:13 PM
Seems legit enough. Only thing I would fix would be the favored class. I believe that a race can only have one. If I had to choose, I'd say Bard should be the favored class as it would promote the artistic tendensies of the race. Looks fine otherwise.

enderlord99
2012-05-12, 05:43 PM
:smallconfused:
I think I'm missing something. Are you implying ponies?

Implying? No, I was outright saying I was glad it wasn't, 'cause I'm sick of 'em.

EDIT: The race is awesome, though.:smallsmile:

Lix Lorn
2012-05-12, 05:57 PM
Seems legit enough. Only thing I would fix would be the favored class. I believe that a race can only have one. If I had to choose, I'd say Bard should be the favored class as it would promote the artistic tendensies of the race. Looks fine otherwise.
If that is a rule, I think it's a silly rule. It's mostly fluff anyway, since I don't remember favored class ever coming up. :smalltongue:

enderlord99
2012-05-12, 06:01 PM
If that is a rule, I think it's a silly rule. It's mostly fluff anyway, since I don't remember favored class ever coming up. :smalltongue:

It can't be a rule at all. Have you seen the human? I don't remember there being an individual class called "Any."

TuggyNE
2012-05-12, 06:34 PM
It can't be a rule at all. Have you seen the human? I don't remember there being an individual class called "Any."

Factotum? :smalltongue:

enderlord99
2012-05-12, 06:59 PM
Factotum? :smalltongue:

That's how it works, but that's not its name.

Nighthawk_986
2012-05-13, 10:38 AM

Touche' to both of you. Yes, I agree that if it was a rule, it's a silly one. It's just that, except for humans (and similar races), I've only seen a single class listed for every race's favored class. Although, in light of everything, I retract my previous statement lol.

Debihuman
2012-05-14, 07:18 AM
Favored Class: A character’s favored class doesn’t count against him or her when determining experience point penalties for multiclassing.

Favored Any for Humans is defined as "When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count. "

This is why races have ONE favored class. For a human, it can be Any.

Favored Class: Druid or Ranger. A Equitarian's highest Druid or Ranger class doesn't count against him or her when determining experience point penalties for multiclassing.

It's pretty easy to extrapolate.

Debby

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 09:15 AM
Point, I should specify that.

Eldest
2012-05-14, 01:14 PM
Favoured Class: Bard or Ranger. A Equitarian's highest level Druid or Ranger class doesn't count against him or her when determining experience point penalties for multiclassing.

There still may be a little problem with that.
Also, it might be a good idea to state what size creature can use them as a mount. I'd guess small, which then makes me want to have a tag-team of some sort. Perhaps the Equitarian as a Paladin, and the rider as a Rogue. Hmm.

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 03:02 PM
There still may be a little problem with that.
Also, it might be a good idea to state what size creature can use them as a mount. I'd guess small, which then makes me want to have a tag-team of some sort. Perhaps the Equitarian as a Paladin, and the rider as a Rogue. Hmm.
WHOOPS. That'll teach me to copy-paste.
Medium. A medium creature can ride a medium mount.

Lateral
2012-05-14, 03:12 PM
No, they can't. It's one size or more larger.

Looks cool to me. Good stat bonuses and high speed are really the meat of this race, and in some situations (like a lance charger) it could be worth the LA.

...Actually, one thing that this allows you to do is that you can use both Battle Jump/Leap Attack and the lance charging stuff at the same time without having to suck a buttload of LA/RHD. Thought I'd mention it.

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 05:49 PM
I don't think it is. Ponies are listed as medium, for example.
CRUD I FORGOT TO GIVE THEM HOOF ATTACKS

Debihuman
2012-05-14, 07:33 PM
Medium quadrupeds should be able carry Medium bipedal creatures due to quadrupeds having a greater carrying capacity. BUT weight of the rider will be a limiting factor.

Equitarian Racial Traits
Abilities: Dex +2, Con +2. Equitarians are agile, and their forms give them strength and stamina. Shouldn't it be +2 Str and +2 Con?

Debby

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 08:33 PM
No, the Dex comes from the agile part. Originally they had all three, I guess I should remove the word strength.

Lateral
2012-05-14, 08:33 PM
I don't think it is. Ponies are listed as medium, for example.
CRUD I FORGOT TO GIVE THEM HOOF ATTACKS

Nah. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050125a) It's gotta be a size larger. That's why a lot of mounted charging builds use Small races, so that they can get a medium mount and not have to worry about being unable to fit into tunnels and the like.

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 08:38 PM
Huh. That's kinda stupid.

Lateral
2012-05-14, 08:43 PM
Oh, and if you're looking for the official rule (since that only references it), it's DMG pg. 204.

Yeah, it kind of is. =/

Feel free to make a specific exception, if you like, but you'll have to make it a more explicit ability.

(Also, I can't believe you didn't choose the name 'equiuans'.)

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 08:52 PM
'They are capable of carrying riders of medium size or smaller, presuming their carrying capacity is high enough.'
Is that not explicit enough?

I think I'm missing something.

Lateral
2012-05-14, 08:56 PM
Oh, yeah, I suppose it is, but it would be a good idea to place it more prominently so that it can't be mistaken for a mistake.

D --> Oh, nothing. Never mind. :P

Lix Lorn
2012-05-14, 09:32 PM
I suppose I can do that.

E%quisite. Perhaps I should add mention of towels in their fluff.

userpay
2012-05-15, 10:36 AM
Ooo I like. This gives me a nice alternative to the crappy normal centaur and overpowered homebrewed centaur that I currently use as options for a particular character concept.

Lix Lorn
2012-05-15, 10:58 AM
(Curtsey)
Glad to help!