PDA

View Full Version : The Barbarian: a PrC Retool (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-05-10, 03:37 PM
This one took a lot of work, and I'm not quite sure I like the way it came out. Any PEACH on it would be awesome.

The Barbarian:

Prerequisites:
BAB: 6
Special: Cannot have any levels in the Barbarian base class from the Player's Handbook, nor can you take levels in it later.

Skills: The Barbarian’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skillpoints at 1st level: (4+Int Mod) x4
Skillpoints at level up: 4+Int Mod
Hit Die: D12

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Rage 1/day, Fast Movement, Illiteracy

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Trap Sense +1, Uncanny Dodge

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Rage 2/day, Improved Uncanny Dodge

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|DR1/-, Trap Sense +2

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Rage 3/day, Greater Rage

6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|DR2/-, Trap Sense +3

7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Rage 4/day, Indomitable Will

8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|DR3/-, Trap Sense +4

9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|Rage 5/day, Tireless Rage

10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|DR4/-, Trap Sense +5, Mighty Rage[/table]

Proficiencies: A Barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Illiteracy: Barbarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A Barbarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.

A Barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a Barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.

Fast Movement (Ex): A Barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Rage (Ex): A Barbarian can fly into a Rage a certain number of times per day. In a Rage, a Barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the Barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the Rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While Raging, a Barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of Rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A Barbarian may prematurely end his Rage. At the end of the Rage, the Barbarian loses the Rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 9th-level Barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies).

A Barbarian can fly into a Rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his Rage ability once per day. At 3rd level and every two levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of five times per day at 10th level). Entering a Rage takes no time itself, but a Barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Trap Sense (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a Barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every even level thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th level). Trap Sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a Barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Barbarian already has Uncanny Dodge from a different class, he automatically gains Improved Uncanny Dodge instead.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a Barbarian can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a Rogue the ability to sneak attack the Barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Barbarian levels. If a character already has Uncanny Dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains Improved Uncanny Dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant Uncanny Dodge stack to determine the minimum level a Rogue must be to flank the character.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 4th level, a Barbarian gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the Barbarian takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 6th level, and every even numbered Barbarian level thereafter (8th, 10th), this Damage Reduction rises by 1 point. Damage Reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Greater Rage (Ex): At 5th level, a Barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Indomitable Will (Ex): While in a Rage, a Barbarian of 7th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his Rage.

Tireless Rage (Ex): At 9th level and higher, a Barbarian no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his Rage.

Mighty Rage (Ex): At 10th level, a Barbarian’s bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his Rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Ex-Barbarians: A Barbarian who becomes lawful loses the ability to Rage and cannot gain more levels as a Barbarian. He retains all the other benefits of the class (Damage Reduction, Fast Movement, Trap Sense, and Uncanny Dodge).

Winds
2012-05-10, 03:55 PM
The only thing I notice is the Illiteracy special-since this requires never being the base barbarian, any character that takes this automatically loses the illiteracy because of that class.

Phosphate
2012-05-10, 04:01 PM
I've looked at these PrC retools, and I must admit your Barbarian is the only one that seems to me as a legitimate standalone class :). Being squashed in 10 levels actually makes him look a whole deal better to me.

Just a suggestion: the DR is kinda irrelevant. I'd double it.

Noctis Vigil
2012-05-10, 04:01 PM
The only thing I notice is the Illiteracy special-since this requires never being the base barbarian, any character that takes this automatically loses the illiteracy because of that class.

This is true, if you use this as a PrC you never deal with illiteracy, however I'm adding enough to these 10-level retool classes that if a GM should choose, they can be taken from level 1.

I've looked at these PrC retools, and I must admit your Barbarian is the only one that seems to me as a legitimate standalone class :). Being squashed in 10 levels actually makes him look a whole deal better to me.

Just a suggestion: the DR is kinda irrelevant. I'd double it.

I thought the Paladin made a better 10 level class than Barbarian, personally. And I'd rather not double the DR; my goal was to roughly match the power of the base class, which I think I did here (let's face it, the DR that the original Barbarian gives isn't enough to make a difference). If more people want higher DR I guess I could though.