PDA

View Full Version : He who Endures against all. (PEACH)[3.5]

toapat
2012-05-10, 11:01 PM
This is an attempt to make a class which is pure defense, but is still effective.

thus i give you:

The Guardian Sentinel

http://www.guildwars2.com/global/includes/images/hero-guardian.jpg

"The darkness shall crash upon my shield, for now and eternity. And when eternity ends, the darkness shall know that for all its efforts, It could never move me, for I am the Mountain upon which creation stands. And to know that gives me reason to never fall." ~ Nameless Guardian Sentinel, lost to time.

Gameplay information:
Alignment: Guardian Sentinels may be any alignment, although they are most commonly Lawful Good.
Attributes: A Guardian Sentinel requires Constitution, as it effects his maneuvers, his Defensive stance, and his saves. A Guardian Sentinel also benefits from Strength, as it increases his ability to grapple.
Hit Die: 1d12
Starting Age: As Wizard
Starting Gold: As Fighter

Guardian Sentinel
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
AC bonus|
Manuevers prepared|
Stances Prepared

1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Defiance 4/day, Shield Expert, Combat Expertise, Defensive Stance 2/day|
+1|
1|

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Uncanny Dodge, DR 2/Adamantine, Mettle, Evasion|
+1|
2|

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Defiance 5/day, Entombing Hold|
+1|
2|

4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Air Lock 10 Feet, Mountainous Stature, DR 4/Adamantine|
+2|
3|

5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Defensive Stance 3/day|
+2|
3|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+5|Defiance 6/day, Will of the Mountain, DR 6/Adamantine|
+2|
4|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+5|Air Lock 20 Feet, Mobile Defense|
+3|
4|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+6|DR 8/Adamantine|
+3|
5|

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+6|Defiance 7/day, Improved Combat Expertise|
+3|
5|

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+7|Air Lock 30 Feet, Defensive Stance 4/day, DR 10/Adamantine|
+4|
6|

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+7|Improved Evasion|
+4|
6|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+8|Defiance 8/day, DR 12/Adamantine|
+4|
7|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|Air Lock 40 Feet, Improved Uncanny Dodge|
+5|
7|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+9|DR 14/Adamantine|
+5|
8|

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|Defiance 9/day, Improved Mobile Defenses, Defensive Stance 5/day, Improved Mettle|
+5|
8|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+10|Air Lock 50 Feet, DR 16/Adamantine|
+6|
9|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Supreme Combat Expertise|
+6|
9|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Defiance 10/day, DR 18/Adamantine|
+6|
10|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|Air Lock 60 Feet, Slayer of the Unhewn Dragon|
+7|
10|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Defensive Stance 6/day, DR 20/Adamantine|
+7|
11|

[/table]

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Strength), Swim, Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features:
Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: The Guardian Sentinel is proficient with all armor (including exotic armor), and all Shields (including tower shields and exotic shields.) The Guardian Sentinel is not proficient with any weapons.

Armor Bonus: The Guardian Sentinel gains a bonus to their armor class as described on the chart when wielding a pair of shields.

Maneuvers: Guardian Sentinels know all the Maneuvers and stances of the Stone Dragon Discipline. The Initiator level of a Guardian Sentinel is equal to their levels in Guardian Sentinel. Guardian Sentinels may regain their maneuvers by sucessfully holding a grapple until a creature dies, or by standing still for 10 minutes while they contemplate the forces against which they fight.

Combat Expertise: At lvl 1, the Guardian Sentinel gains Combat Expertise as a bonus feat. The guardian Sentinel gains this feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Improved Combat Expertise: The Guardian Sentinel gains a +3 bonus to armor class for every -2 penalty they take. This ability allows the sentinel to exceed the normal -5 attack penalty of Combat Expertise.

Supreme Combat Expertise: The Guardian Sentinel gains a +2 bonus to armor class for every -1 penalty they take.

Defensive Stance: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)

Defiance: As a move action, the Guardian Sentinel may declare a target of their defiance. So long as the creature chosen lives, it must attack the Guardian Sentinel with all its might. Creatures marked with the defiance ability must perform actions that would harm another creature targeting the Guardian Sentinel so long as the Sentinel both remains defiant, and the sentinel remains conscious, although abilities that require multiple targets may strike additional creatures, so long as the Guardian Sentinel is the first creature targeted. The Guardian Sentinel at the begining of his turn each round must make a Concentration check equal to (10+Defied creature's Hit Dice+rounds defied) or the defiance ends.

Shield Expert: You have spent many years training to use Tower shields. You may bash with a Tower shield as though it was a flail (1d8 x2). You may wield two shields at a time, and you suffer no penalties to attack from wielding Tower shields.

Damage Reduction: Beginning at second level, the Guardian Sentinel gains DR 2/Adamantine. This damage reduction increases by 2 on every even level.

Evasion: Like this, but while in Medium and heavy armor, and while using shields. (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Monk)
Improved Evasion: Like this, but while in Medium and heavy armor, and while using shields. (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Monk)

Mettle: The Guardian Sentinel is so strong, that he is able to shrug off magical effects that would harm him. If a Guardian Sentinel makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell's effect, she suffers no effect from the spell at all. Only those spells with a Saving Throw entry of "Will partial," "Fortitude half," or similar entries can be negated through this ability.
Improved Mettle: As with Mettle, but the Guardian Sentinel also receives half damage on a failed Fortitude save, or partial damage on a failed Will save.

Uncanny Dodge: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)
Improved Uncanny Dodge: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)

Entombing Hold: The weight of a mountain rests upon the shoulders of the Guardian Sentinel. Each Round that a creature is grappled by the Guardian Sentinel, that creature takes 1d6 damage for each level of Guardian Sentinel.

Mountainous Stature: The Sentinel Stands as a mountain. At lvl 4, The Guardian Sentinel is treated when he is grappling as 1 size larger, while the creature he chooses to make a grapple attempt against is treated as 1 size smaller. This bonus to size increases by 1 step every 4th level afterwards.

Air Lock: The Air around the Guardian Sentinel fears him, and will no longer support his enemies. All Enemy creatures within 10 feet of the Guardian Sentinel are treated as no longer having flight speed, and are forced to land. The range of the Sentinel's airlock increases by 10 feet every third level after 4th.

Will of the Mountain: The Guardian Sentinel adds their Constitution modifier as an untyped bonus to all saves.

Mobile Defense: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)

Improved Mobile Defense: The Guardian Sentinel may move upto their movement speed without Defensive stance being forfiet.

Slayer of the Unhewn Dragon: see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218055), The guardian Sentinel gains this feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Welknair
2012-05-21, 12:41 AM
1. You do realize that shield bonuses don't stack, right? So wielding two tower shields wouldn't double the bonus. Unless you explicitly say it does under Shield Expert, that is.

2. What if two Sentinels use Defiance on the same creature in the same round? What does it do? :smallconfused:

3. Keep in mind the first bit of Unhewn Dragon. Specifically the parts about starting with all maneuvers readied, and knowing all stances. How do these relate to the maneuver access the class already gets?

4. Think about what actual role this class will have. Solo-ing, they'll be one of the more unkillable things around. Facing about anything 1-on-1, they'll be very difficult to defeat. This is exactly what you're going for, it seems. But, what about a party? Defiance is effectively an aggro-drawing ability, but it is very limited. Mainly in that it can only affect a single target at a time. A DM wishing to get by the Sentinel simply needs a few lower-level enemies to rush by and tackle the casters. Yes, the Sentinel will never die, but their allies will. I'd highly recommend something that either A) Draws aggro from a group or B) Allows a Sentinel to prevent passage around them or C) Allows a Sentinel to protect nearby allies.

5. Keep in mind that DR is overcome by magic of any sort. +1 weapons FTW.

Edit: Oh, and you didn't define "Improved Mobile Defenses"

Mystic Muse
2012-05-21, 12:54 AM

I haven't taken a look at the class, but this is actually false. Only Dr/magic is overcome by magic of any sort. Dr/material can only be overcome by that material (Or something that mimics it).

Welknair
2012-05-21, 12:59 AM
I haven't taken a look at the class, but this is actually false. Only Dr/magic is overcome by magic of any sort. Dr/material can only be overcome by that material (Or something that mimics it).

Ah, my mistake! Anywho, spells still overcome it, as does any energy damage.

Midwoka
2012-05-21, 01:11 AM
I'd give the class proficiency with simple weapons - even if it's meant to use two tower-shields, they should still be competent with a spear or dagger if their caught unprepared. I'd also reduce their BAB or Reflex save, since they're not really focused on attacking, and anyone with a small wall strapped to each arm isn't diving away from anything in a hurry.

And there's a little editing mistake where it says "Guardian Statue" instead of "Guardian Sentinel" a few times. =)

Rapidghoul
2012-05-21, 01:17 AM
First, you need to put in what type of abilities you have here (Ex, Su, Sp), and putting "At Xth level" or "Beginning at level X" things would help SOOOO much. That said...

Gameplay information:
Alignment: Guardian Sentinels may be any alignment, although they are most commonly Lawful Good.
Attributes: A Guardian Sentinel requires Constitution, as it effects his maneuvers, his Defensive stance, and his saves. A Guardian Sentinel also benefits from Strength, as it increases his ability to grapple.
Hit Die: 1d12
Starting Age: As Wizard
Starting Gold: As Fighter

Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Strength), Swim, Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier
d12 HD, full BAB, and all good saves is a little much. Bump down the BAB to medium, or give them one bad save, or something. At least they only get 2+int skill points.

Class Features:
Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: The Guardian Sentinel is proficient with all armor (including exotic armor), and all Shields (including tower shields and exotic shields.)
If they seriously don't get any weapon proficiency, you should really put that down. Strange, but if you want it that way for emphasis and flavor, go for it.

Armor Bonus: The Guardian Sentinel gains a bonus to their armor class as described on the chart when wielding 2 Tower shields.
Welknair pointed this out: shield bonuses don't stack. Just add a blurb saying "A Guardian Sentinel gains the shield bonus of two shields at once."

Combat Expertise: At lvl 1, the Guardian Sentinel gains Combat Expertise as a bonus feat.
You should say that they get the feat even if they don't meet the prerequisites, just for thoroughness.

Improved Combat Expertise: The Guardian Sentinel gains a +3 bonus to armor class for every -2 penalty they take.

Supreme Combat Expertise: The Guardian Sentinel gains a +2 bonus to armor class for every -1 penalty they take.
I like this a lot.

Defiance: As a move action, the Guardian Sentinel may declare a target of their defiance. So long as the creature chosen lives, it must attack the Guardian Sentinel with all its might. Creatures marked with the defiance ability cannot perform an action that would harm another creature so long as the Guardian Sentinel chooses to defy this enemy. The Guardian Sentinel at the begining of his turn each round must make a Concentration check equal to (10+Defied creature's Hit Dice+rounds defied) or the defiance ends.
You really need to let the target make a save. Otherwise, this is too good. Also, saying they can't harm another creature makes it so that the target couldn't use any area of effects, even if it would hit you. See the Goad feat in 3.5 or the Antagonize feat in Pathfinder; you can make this ability better than those feats, but what you have is a little to simple and strong.

Shield Expert: You have spent many years training to use Tower shields. You may bash with a Tower shield as though it was a maul. You may wield 2 Tower shields at a time, and you suffer no penalties to attack while wielding Tower shields.
Fun.

Damage Reduction: Beginning at second level, the Guardian Sentinel gains DR 2/Adamantine. This damage reduction increases by 2 on every even level.
I would like to see DR to start at a slightly higher level than 2, but fine otherwise.

Evasion: Like this, but while in Medium and heavy armor, and while using shields. (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Monk)
Improved Evasion: Like this, but while in Medium and heavy armor, and while using shields. (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Monk)

Mettle: The Guardian Sentinel is so strong, that he is able to shrug off magical effects that would harm him. If a Guardian Sentinel makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell's effect, she suffers no effect from the spell at all. Only those spells with a Saving Throw entry of "Will partial," "Fortitude half," or similar entries can be negated through this ability.
Improved Mettle: As with Mettle, but the Guardian Sentinel also receives half damage on a failed Fortitude save, or partial damage on a failed Will save.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)

All fine, though Evasion AND Mettle might be a little much. I've seen a lot of people try Improved Mettle, but I like that you make it only lower damage.

Entombing Hold: The weight of a mountain rests upon the shoulders of the Guardian Sentinel. Each Round that a creature is grappled by the Guardian Sentinel, that creature takes 1d6 damage for each level of Guardian Sentinel.

Mountainous Stature: The Sentinel Stands as a mountain. At lvl 4, The Guardian Statue is treated when he is grappling as 1 size larger, while the creature he chooses to make a grapple attempt against is treated as 1 size smaller. This bonus to size increases by 1 step every 4th level afterwards.
I'd think 1d6/2 levels would be a bit more balanced. The increased size thing is a cool touch, but increasing your size by one and decreasing theirs by one is kind of redundant; just let the ability enhance the character's ability to grapple. I also find it weird to give a class grapple abilities without Improved Grapple, but you already give it plenty of feats and abilities.

Air Lock: The Air around the Guardian Sentinel fears him, and will no longer support his enemies. All Enemy creatures within 10 feet of the Guardian Sentinel are treated as no longer having flight speed, and are forced to land. The range of the Sentinel's airlock increases by 10 feet every third level after 4th.
This is cool, but a little much for 4th level. It should allow a Will or Fort save (depending on the flavor you're going for), or it should decrease the maneuverability / flight speed rather than outright stopping flight.

Will of the Mountain: The Guardian Sentinel adds their Constitution modifier as an untyped bonus to all saves.
I like Divine Grace abilities, but I don't think a class with all good saves needs it. That said, if you drop one of their saves, this would be great.

Defensive Stance: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)

Mobile Defense: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender)
Always good.

Unhewn Dragon: see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218055)
No. Just... no. Multiplying movement by 10, allowing movement up to 120ft during a maneuver... no, that stuff is designed for an unbeatable, Colossal, Epic level monster, not a character class. Take things within it and scale it down for a PC, and sure, great, but as is, it's kind of ridiculous.

Quellian-dyrae
2012-05-21, 01:25 AM
Overall I'd say it does a solid job at providing massive melee defenses while still being capable in combat. I...believe you've hit all the really critical defense requirements. Normal AC is great, and saves are excellent. Touch AC can be good, thanks to the Combat Expertise boosters, untyped AC Bonus, and Dodge Bonus from Defensive Stance, but you might want to add something to let them use all or part of their armor and/or shield bonuses for touch AC. Maybe even add some Energy Resistance just to seal the deal. I imagine orbs and rays should splatter right off of these guys.

The capability to wield two tower shields is cool and unique, but it's a fairly odd style. I'd probably say just switch the AC Bonus to apply when wearing heavy armor and wielding (at least one) shield. It opens up more options.

I know the idea of an utter juggernaut who just stands like a rock and takes whatever you can throw is thematically cool, but the inability to move around is a real pain for a proper tank. Myself, I'd probably take out the can't move aspect of Defensive Stance, but change the second maneuver recovery option (which, as it stands, is functionally useless) to letting them recover a single maneuver for free in any round that they don't leave their space. That way they can move about freely, but if they get the chance to just stand and smite, they can literally spam strikes round after round.

Also agree with Welknair that they could use more options for forcing foes to engage them. Maybe force enemies in the Air Lock to make a save or move towards them/be unable to move away from them?

toapat
2012-05-21, 06:05 PM
1. You do realize that shield bonuses don't stack, right? So wielding two tower shields wouldn't double the bonus. Unless you explicitly say it does under Shield Expert, that is.

2. What if two Sentinels use Defiance on the same creature in the same round? What does it do? :smallconfused:

3. Keep in mind the first bit of Unhewn Dragon. Specifically the parts about starting with all maneuvers readied, and knowing all stances. How do these relate to the maneuver access the class already gets?

4. Think about what actual role this class will have. Solo-ing, they'll be one of the more unkillable things around. Facing about anything 1-on-1, they'll be very difficult to defeat. This is exactly what you're going for, it seems. But, what about a party? Defiance is effectively an aggro-drawing ability, but it is very limited. Mainly in that it can only affect a single target at a time. A DM wishing to get by the Sentinel simply needs a few lower-level enemies to rush by and tackle the casters. Yes, the Sentinel will never die, but their allies will. I'd highly recommend something that either A) Draws aggro from a group or B) Allows a Sentinel to prevent passage around them or C) Allows a Sentinel to protect nearby allies.

Edit: Oh, and you didn't define "Improved Mobile Defenses"

1: I know, i didnt find it reasonable to start the game with a 32 AC
2: It Explodes? I guess i should fix that
3: You already have the entire stone dragon discipline learned.
4: i had wanted to cause all squares within 10 feet of the guardian to be treated as impassible terrain to enemies, didnt know how to word it though.
6: Will edit that in, it removes the movement penalty of defensive stance.

I'd give the class proficiency with simple weapons - even if it's meant to use two tower-shields, they should still be competent with a spear or dagger if their caught unprepared. I'd also reduce their BAB or Reflex save, since they're not really focused on attacking, and anyone with a small wall strapped to each arm isn't diving away from anything in a hurry.

And there's a little editing mistake where it says "Guardian Statue" instead of "Guardian Sentinel" a few times. =)

I guess i gave them too much offensive capacity with towershields, but also made an error. They are suposed to favor Tower shields, but their specific combat style should be built around 2 shields.

They always had that idea behind them, guess i missed my error

First, you need to put in what type of abilities you have here (Ex, Su, Sp), and putting "At Xth level" or "Beginning at level X" things would help SOOOO much. That said...

d12 HD, full BAB, and all good saves is a little much. Bump down the BAB to medium, or give them one bad save, or something. At least they only get 2+int skill points.

If they seriously don't get any weapon proficiency, you should really put that down. Strange, but if you want it that way for emphasis and flavor, go for it.

Welknair pointed this out: shield bonuses don't stack. Just add a blurb saying "A Guardian Sentinel gains the shield bonus of two shields at once."

You should say that they get the feat even if they don't meet the prerequisites, just for thoroughness.

I like this a lot.

You really need to let the target make a save. Otherwise, this is too good. Also, saying they can't harm another creature makes it so that the target couldn't use any area of effects, even if it would hit you. See the Goad feat in 3.5 or the Antagonize feat in Pathfinder; you can make this ability better than those feats, but what you have is a little to simple and strong.

Fun.

I would like to see DR to start at a slightly higher level than 2, but fine otherwise.

All fine, though Evasion AND Mettle might be a little much. I've seen a lot of people try Improved Mettle, but I like that you make it only lower damage.

I'd think 1d6/2 levels would be a bit more balanced. The increased size thing is a cool touch, but increasing your size by one and decreasing theirs by one is kind of redundant; just let the ability enhance the character's ability to grapple. I also find it weird to give a class grapple abilities without Improved Grapple, but you already give it plenty of feats and abilities.

This is cool, but a little much for 4th level. It should allow a Will or Fort save (depending on the flavor you're going for), or it should decrease the maneuverability / flight speed rather than outright stopping flight.

I like Divine Grace abilities, but I don't think a class with all good saves needs it. That said, if you drop one of their saves, this would be great.

Always good.

No. Just... no. Multiplying movement by 10, allowing movement up to 120ft during a maneuver... no, that stuff is designed for an unbeatable, Colossal, Epic level monster, not a character class. Take things within it and scale it down for a PC, and sure, great, but as is, it's kind of ridiculous.

Basically the entire thing is suposed to be Ex
Crazy stats are Crazy for survivability
Yep, no weapon proficiencies at all, they are suposed to fight with a shield
hmm, shouldnt have had this disabled when wielding anything but towershields, also, being able to use Mountain plate (+10), 2 Steel Tower Shields (+4 each), and a Gnomish Battle Cloak (+1) is a bit nuts for AC
Combat expertise: will do, and thanks, took the wording from Frenzied Berzerker
Didnt intend it to shut down AoE, ill fix that
Mettle isnt suposed to prevent anything other then damage.
I see your point, i worded it to make it feel like you are a mountain crushing an enemy to death. the Size bonus and penalty is so that you can move, grapple, and trip anything.
I saw the minuscule range as within reason for it's effect.
I wanted a class that really only needed Con for an attribute, you wont really be putting too much into dex or will.
It fits him
Ill switch it to Slayer of the Unhewn dragon.

Overall I'd say it does a solid job at providing massive melee defenses while still being capable in combat. I...believe you've hit all the really critical defense requirements. Normal AC is great, and saves are excellent. Touch AC can be good, thanks to the Combat Expertise boosters, untyped AC Bonus, and Dodge Bonus from Defensive Stance, but you might want to add something to let them use all or part of their armor and/or shield bonuses for touch AC. Maybe even add some Energy Resistance just to seal the deal. I imagine orbs and rays should splatter right off of these guys.

The capability to wield two tower shields is cool and unique, but it's a fairly odd style. I'd probably say just switch the AC Bonus to apply when wearing heavy armor and wielding (at least one) shield. It opens up more options.

I know the idea of an utter juggernaut who just stands like a rock and takes whatever you can throw is thematically cool, but the inability to move around is a real pain for a proper tank. Myself, I'd probably take out the can't move aspect of Defensive Stance, but change the second maneuver recovery option (which, as it stands, is functionally useless) to letting them recover a single maneuver for free in any round that they don't leave their space. That way they can move about freely, but if they get the chance to just stand and smite, they can literally spam strikes round after round.

Also agree with Welknair that they could use more options for forcing foes to engage them. Maybe force enemies in the Air Lock to make a save or move towards them/be unable to move away from them?

Thanks for the possitive comments.
Id prefer Airlock to be a forced no fly zone, not a cyclone.

Welknair
2012-05-21, 07:29 PM
3: You already have the entire stone dragon discipline learned.

But the class only allows you to prepare a certain number of stances and maneuvers at a time, whereas Unhewn Dragon says you have ALL stances and maneuvers ready at the start of any given encounters. They also have the recovery method of a Warblade. How does that work out? Do they suddenly start ignoring the class limits on readied maneuvers and stances and start using the dictates of Unhewn Dragon? Do they now have the Unhewn Dragon recovery method in addition to what they had before?

toapat
2012-05-21, 07:37 PM
But the class only allows you to prepare a certain number of stances and maneuvers at a time, whereas Unhewn Dragon says you have ALL stances and maneuvers ready at the start of any given encounters. They also have the recovery method of a Warblade. How does that work out? Do they suddenly start ignoring the class limits on readied maneuvers and stances and start using the dictates of Unhewn Dragon? Do they now have the Unhewn Dragon recovery method in addition to what they had before?

i changed it to slayer so it doesnt make it as powerful

Welknair
2012-05-21, 07:51 PM
i changed it to slayer so it doesnt make it as powerful

Ah, that seems a little more reasonable.

I'd also warn you about the 10' impassable terrain aura. Nothing would even be able to enter melee range with you. If you're going for something like that, perhaps have it only in threatened spaces..? I'm not sure, you can likely come up with something better than that.

toapat
2012-05-21, 08:11 PM
Ah, that seems a little more reasonable.

I'd also warn you about the 10' impassable terrain aura. Nothing would even be able to enter melee range with you. If you're going for something like that, perhaps have it only in threatened spaces..? I'm not sure, you can likely come up with something better than that.

threatened squares are more reasonable, im not going to add the ability, being able to completely stop things from moving at all within 10 feet of you is overpowered.

Mithril Leaf
2012-05-21, 08:13 PM
God help the Guardian who meets a wizard with shivering touch and ocular spell.

toapat
2012-05-21, 08:17 PM
God help the Guardian who meets a wizard with shivering touch and ocular spell.

ocular spell cant prepare shivering touch, it has to be a ray spell.

edit: Wait, i could turn this guy down to a D2 health and it wouldnt really matter, would it

userpay
2012-05-21, 08:57 PM
ocular spell cant prepare shivering touch, it has to be a ray spell.

edit: Wait, i could turn this guy down to a D2 health and it wouldnt really matter, would it

Actually its ray spells and spells with a target other than personal. It turns the spells into rays more or less.

Mithril Leaf
2012-05-21, 09:03 PM
So yeah, pretty much elder dragons in that regard. Dex as a dump stat doesn't help, and all the armor in the world doesn't help your touch AC.

Yitzi
2012-05-21, 10:55 PM
So yeah, pretty much elder dragons in that regard. Dex as a dump stat doesn't help, and all the armor in the world doesn't help your touch AC.

Shields, on the other hand, make sense that they could; while normally they don't, that just means it's a good option for a class ability. Spell Resistance might be a good idea too.

Mithril Leaf
2012-05-21, 11:12 PM
I would second some magic resistance. It seems like a good part of being a wall to be able to endure tons of magic as well as mundane.

toapat
2012-05-21, 11:38 PM
i dont agree with making these dudes so resilient that the spell Nuclear Detonation cant kill them, when they are standing at the epicenter of the spell.

TuggyNE
2012-06-20, 12:20 AM
Improved Combat Expertise
Supreme Combat Expertise I'd suggest noting the levels these come online in the text, not just the table.

Defensive Stance: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender) I strongly recommend copying the exact text in, and making any necessary changes. It'll look more professional.

Defiance: As a move action, the Guardian Sentinel may declare a target of their defiance. So long as the creature chosen lives, it must attack the Guardian Sentinel with all its might. Creatures marked with the defiance ability must perform actions that would harm another creature targeting the Guardian Sentinel so long as the Sentinel both remains defiant, and the sentinel remains conscious, although abilities that require multiple targets may strike additional creatures, so long as the Guardian Sentinel is the first creature targeted. The Guardian Sentinel at the begining of his turn each round must make a Concentration check equal to (10+Defied creature's Hit Dice+rounds defied) or the defiance ends. It's not clear what happens to overlapping marks; probably only the last one should apply. Also, this should perhaps be mind-affecting, sadly, unless there's a very solid reason for it not to be.

Improved Evasion: Like this, but while in Medium and heavy armor, and while using shields. (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Monk) Here again, copying and editing the feature text is preferable.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender) As before; also, the levels these become available should be mentioned. :smallwink:

Entombing Hold: The weight of a mountain rests upon the shoulders of the Guardian Sentinel. Each Round that a creature is grappled by the Guardian Sentinel, that creature takes 1d6 damage for each level of Guardian Sentinel. You should probably ensure that the Guardian Sentinel gets Improved Unarmed Strike, so you aren't adding lethal damage from this ability to non-lethal damage from grappling.

Mountainous Stature: The Sentinel Stands as a mountain. At lvl 4, The Guardian Sentinel is treated when he is grappling as 1 size larger, while the creature he chooses to make a grapple attempt against is treated as 1 size smaller. This bonus to size increases by 1 step every 4th level afterwards. Does the penalty to opponent size also increase? If so, that's pretty sickening :smallyuk:. Otherwise... hmm, Powerful Build + GS 20 = 6 sizes larger — but there are only four size categories above Medium. This progression needs to slow.

Mobile Defense: See this dude (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/SRD:Dwarven_Defender) Once more, with feeling.

Slayer of the Unhewn Dragon: see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218055), The guardian Sentinel gains this feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Hmm. I'd still suggest copying this ability over, for various reasons, but make sure the author is OK with it.