PDA

View Full Version : Seeking some homebrew advice.

Theroc
2012-05-20, 10:09 AM
Okay, so my friend and I will be co-DMing a game eventually, and I decided I wanted to get a handle on homebrewing a little bit.

Now, rather than invent a race or something that might be more prominent in the world, I was considering making a vestige based around a Medusa, and granting abilities along those lines... I realize this is mildly vague, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to fit things like a medusa's gaze into a vestige?

I did not see anything for a guide on creating a vestige, though I suppose I could look at Flesh to Stone... for a level 8 Vestige, would a Flesh to Stone gaze as a swift action 1 every five rounds be too strong?

Grod_The_Giant
2012-05-20, 10:46 AM
I'd make it a standard action, but yeah, that should be fine.

Theroc
2012-05-21, 07:21 AM
Just did some further research, using Wizard's article on Binders. It would appear that as a 6th level spell, a Binder could use Flesh to Stone 1/5 rounds as early as 11th level. If I delayed and made it a 7th level Vestige instead of a 5th level(The earliest level set a Wizard could cast Flesh to Stone), it would be usable at will, as a Warlock can use Dark Invocations(which appear to be the equivalent of 6th level spells) at will at the level, meaning a level 15/16 binder would technically be capable of using Flesh to Stone at-will via a vestige, if I followed the guidelines wizards put forth.

Now, since my goal is emulating a medusa's gaze(and other aspects, I just see the gaze likely being the trickiest bit), targetting just one creature doesn't QUITE do it, though I suppose if making it target multiple people would be overpowering, the 'at-will' would be better than a 1/5 rounds.

My question then I suppose is this: Is at will Flesh to Stone at level 15 'overpowered'? The guidelines indicate this should be 'appropriate' and at level 17, a Binder can get access to 1/5 rounds 'Phantasmal Killer'.

Again, I'm new to homebrewing, and I'm really, really not one who got into spellcasting much... (I've never gotten to really PLAY any of the casters I ever created[games died shortly in]) and I tend to go more for non-casters since vancian magic makes me paranoid so I'm really unsure what things might be overpowered given when it comes to things like spells.)

Yora
2012-05-21, 07:31 AM
I did not see anything for a guide on creating a vestige
Yeah, that's the one big problem with Binders. The vestige abilities seem to be completely random without any standard framework behind them. I think creating vestiges is mostly good guessing. :smallannoyed:

Theroc
2012-05-21, 07:34 AM
Yeah, that's the one big problem with Binders. The vestige abilities seem to be completely random without any standard framework behind them. I think creating vestiges is mostly good guessing. :smallannoyed:

Well, wizards had a guide, but if I understand correctly, oftentimes homebrewers and other community members at places like this tend to have more... extensive guides.

Wizard's guide says flesh to stone at will at level 15 is okay. Would that also mean I could give a Warlock a homebrewed Dark Invocation for Flesh to Stone?

It just seems a bit... vague.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060324a
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060407a

Those are the two guides Wizards has.... (I wish it had a 'download' thing like some other things so I could keep it for offline use.)

Hanuman
2012-05-21, 07:49 AM
Petrification is a +3 weapon or a 6th level spell.

Medusa is CR7, Basilisk 5, Abys. Basilisk 12

Frankly, I would not give players the ability to petrify below level 9.

------

What you want is a "gaze attack" http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#gazeAttacks which is something in it's own right-- when applied to players it's common to see it used as 1 STANDARD ACTION.

If you want the gaze attack to function as a "meet eyes" way, use the standard link I posted, if you want it to be a targeted effect use the Ozodrin's special eye feature as a landmark.

Theroc
2012-05-21, 11:28 AM
Petrification is a +3 weapon or a 6th level spell.

Medusa is CR7, Basilisk 5, Abys. Basilisk 12

Frankly, I would not give players the ability to petrify below level 9.

------

What you want is a "gaze attack" http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#gazeAttacks which is something in it's own right-- when applied to players it's common to see it used as 1 STANDARD ACTION.

If you want the gaze attack to function as a "meet eyes" way, use the standard link I posted, if you want it to be a targeted effect use the Ozodrin's special eye feature as a landmark.

I hope I didn't give you the impression Hanuman that I was suggesting giving a level 5 or 6 character a Flesh to Stone type ability. I was referring to Vestige level, which is similar in 'level' concept to Maneuvers and Warlock Invocations and such in that how a third level Wizard casts level 2 spells and the like.

A Binder gets a level 7 Vestige at level 15, which is when the Warlock gets access to invocations that mimic level 6 spells, which the binder guide I was reading from Wizards stated would be usable at will.

Just clarifying if my previous post was unclear... since I'm a bit hazy on those details myself, I was bouncing between Complete Arcane, Tome of Magic and the PHB checking the levels each of these features were acquired, so I was trying to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding on that level.

I'll have to poke around the Ozodrin more, I saw it mentioned somewhere in the comments on the Evolutionist.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was mildly concerned my bungling would just be bothersome, lol. Still willing to hear more if anyone wants to toss in opinions though.

Hanuman
2012-05-22, 02:26 AM
Was stating an isolated personal opinion of the balance =]

As far as balance goes though, the most powerful options for a binder are the ones listed online and produced out-of-sourcebook, set the balance inbetween the original listed and the ones printed online.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-05-22, 11:38 AM
I did not see anything for a guide on creating a vestige, though I suppose I could look at Flesh to Stone... for a level 8 Vestige, would a Flesh to Stone gaze as a swift action 1 every five rounds be too strong?

Flesh to Stone, single target, as a Swift action every 5 rounds? Perfectly in line for an 8th level Vestige. As more than a single target effect (a Cone, hitting all creatures within the cone) I'd demand a Standard action or Full-round action, but yeah. The balance should be fine.

You could do it at-will for a single target as a Standard action, but somehow that just seems...well, less interesting to me. Less fun. It's obviously just a spell at that point, whereas the other two ways make it a bit more unique.