PDA

View Full Version : The Harbinger, a 3.5 Wizard Revision (Please PEACH!)

wayfare
2012-05-26, 05:59 PM
Hey All:

Ok, so we all know about the Warmage, Dread Necromacer and Beguiler. Mid way through 3.5, WotC created three wizard classes that were much more conceptually and stylistically focused. These classes were also weaker than your straight up wizard and sorcerer, due to a limited and thematically arranged spell list.

People saw these classes and loved them...but wizards didn't really follow up with more.

The Harbinger is my attempt at creating a Divination centered version of that same design logic. I'd love any help you could offer in making this class better and more balanced.

In terms of goals, here is what I want to achieve:

1) A divination centered character that is powerful
2) A divination class that won't feel useless in combat
3) A Mid Tier 3 class roughly on par with the Beguiler

The Harbinger

http://img.waffleimages.com/f05abfee6beced111383c0d1db42adea6f40c63e/mc-cov-complete-arcane.jpg

A wizened old man waits in a shadowed alley, eyes closed, but perfectly aware of his surroundings. Without opening his eyes, he can sense the fleet thief moving through the night, his purse heavy with ill gotten gold...too heavy for cheap canvas that has begun to split. The rogue passes the old man with nary a thought, but misses the swift hand that slices through the canvas and helps itself to an exquisite ruby ring.

The young strategos that leads the king's army is a scholarly woman with lenses and a tight braid. Looking more the librarian than master warrior, she still manages to lead raiding parties that strike with speed and devastating precision along the enemy's flanks. As for the young captain, she fights with a skill all envy -- only once has she been touched by an enemy blade...soon severed from its owners hand.

The local thieves guilds fear the dark woman who has taken up residence above the alchemists shop. She refuses to pay for protection, and utters the most dire threats...she knows to much and has been marked for death. But no assassin has found her and survived the encounter with his wits intact.

Each of these individuals is a Harbinger, a spellcaster gifted with the sight and insight beyond mortal men. These wizards are explorers of strange lore, historians and spies who possess knowledge that can shake nations or crush a single life.

Hit Die: d6
Skill Points: Intelligence + 4
Skill List: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Forgery, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge: (Any), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Spot
Weapon Proficiencies: The Harbinger is proficient with all simple weapons.
Armor Proficiencies: The Harbinger is proficient with all shields.

The Harbinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2| Insight +1, Shielded Mage, Alacrity |4|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3| Hall of Mirrors x1|5|4|-

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3| Advanced Learning |6|5|-|-

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Omen x1|6|6|3|-|-

5th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Insight +2|6|6|4|-|-|-

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Hall of Mirrors x2|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|Omen x2|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Insight +3|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Hall of Mirrors x3|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|Omen x3|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|Insight +4|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+9|
+9|Hall of Mirrors x4|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+9|
+9|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10|Omen x4|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10|Insight +5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Hall of Mirrors x5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Advanced Learning|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Revelation|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5 [/table]

Spells: A Harbinger casts arcane spells (the same type of spells available to sorcerers and wizards), which are drawn from the Harbinger spell list given below. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a cleric or wizard must. When a Harbinger gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the Harbinger’s spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list. Harbingers also have the option of adding to their existing spell list through their advanced learning ability as they increase in level (see below).
To cast a spell, a Harbinger must have a Intelligence score of 10 + the spell’s level (Int 10 for 0-level spells, Int 11 for 1stlevel spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Harbinger’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + the Harbinger’s Intelligence modifier. Like other spellcasters, a Harbinger can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1–1: The Harbinger. In addition, he receives bonus
spells for a high Intelligence score (see Table 1–1, page 8 of the Player’s Handbook).
Unlike a cleric or a wizard, a Harbinger need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.

Shielded Mage (Ex): The Harbinger has learned to block enemy attacks without sacrificing spellcasting ability. A Harbinger can use any variety of shield without suffering spell failure chance.

Insight (Ex): For an adept that can see the future, danger is a constant companion – every step and stroke portends fortune or disaster. One of the first magic “tricks” the Harbinger learns is that ability to extend his senses a moment into the future, allowing the Harbinger to attack and defend with a surety others would envy.
A 1st level Harbinger gains a +1 Insight bonus to Attack Rolls and AC, as long as she is unarmored (weilding a shield does not interfere with this ability). This bonus increases by 1 at 5th level and every 4 levels thereafter.

Alacrity (Ex): An off-shoot of the Insight ability, that Harbinger is rarely caught off guard when battle is joined. A 1st level Harbinger rolls initiative twice and chooses the best result.

Hall of Mirrors (Su): While the Harbinger can use his powers to seek lore from the world, an even greater source of knowledge is buried within the mind and soul of the mage. The Hall of Mirrors is the site of the living race-memory of souled beings, a mysterious labyrinth that most creatures only touch in dreams. The Harbinger has learned how to enter the Hall of Mirrors with a mere thought, borrowing the experiences of others to enhance his own prowess.
A 2nd level Harbinger gains a Feat Slot. As a swift action, reserve feat can be swapped out at any time for any feat the Harbinger meets the prerequisites for – including feats the harbinger has gained through Hall of Mirrors. Once a Feat Slot is swapped out, the Harbinger retains knowledge of the learned feat for 24 hours.
A Harbinger gains an additional reserve feat at 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter.

Advanced Learning (Ex): At 3rd level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the Harbinger may learn a new Divination spell, chosen from the Wizard or Cleric spell list.

Omen (Su): With mastery over knowledge comes mastery over fate – the smallest of changes can doom an action to failure or create an unexpected success. The insight gifted to the Harbinger allows the adept to see the impact of these changes and the will to enact them.
Once per day, as an immediate action, the Harbinger can force an ally or an enemy to re-roll a d20 roll. The target must use the second result. Additional uses of this ability are gained at 8th level and every 4 levels thereafter.

Revelation (Su): The Harbinger has reached the height of his power and become an agent of fate. The Harbinger continues to age, but suffers no ill effects from aging and doubles his life-span. Superlative insight into the workings of fate has forever changed the Harbingers mind, granting a +4 bonus to Intelligence and Wisdom. The Harbinger is perfectly aware of his will, and is thus immune to charm and domination effects.

SPELL LIST

Major Focus: Divination
Minor Focus: Enchantment, Illusion

Level 1

Alarm; Protection from (Alignment); Comprehend Languages; Detect Secret Doors; Detect Undead; Identify; True Strike; Hypnotism; Disguise Self; Magic Aura; Ventriloquism; Augury; Status

Level 2
Obscure Object; Detect Thoughts; Locate Object; See Invisibility; Daze Monster; Hypnotic Pattern; Minor Image; Misdirection; Knock; Whispering Wind; Insight of Good Fortune; Master’s Touch; Black Karma Curse; Undetectable Alignment; Detect Alignment

Level 3

Dispel Magic; Nondetection; Arcane Sight; Clairaudience/Clairvoyance; Tongues; Heroism; Rage; Suggestion; Illusory Script; Major Image; Alter Future; Crown of Clarity;

Level 4

Dimensional Anchor; Remove Curse; Arcane Eye; Detect Scrying; Locate Creature; Scrying; Confusion; Crushing Despair; Phantasmal Killer; Rainbow Pattern; Bestow Curse; Geas, Lesser; Crown of Veils; Speak With Dead; Discern Lies

Level 5

Break Enchantment; Mage’s Private Sanctum; Contact Other Plane; Prying Eyes; Telepathic Bond; Mind Fog; Dream; False Vision; Nightmare; Persistent Image; Friend to Foe; Sending

Level 6

Dispel Magic, Greater; Analyze Dweomer; Legend Lore; True Seeing; Geas/Quest; Heroism, Greater; Shadow Walk; Overwhelm

Level 7

Sequester; Arcane Sight, Greater; Scrying, Greater; Vision; Insanity; Project Image, Brain Spider; Mind Blank

Level 8

Dimensional Lock; Discern Location; Moment of Prescience; Prying Eyes, Greater; Antipathy; Demand; Sympathy; Screen

Level 9

Foresight; Weird; Time Stop; Astral Projection; Visions of the Future; Programmed Amnesia

Thanks for the help, guys!

Milo v3
2012-05-26, 06:33 PM
I really like this. One question though, Insight activates whenever you have a shield even if your covered in heavy armor. Was this intentional?

Wavelab
2012-05-26, 06:42 PM
This is a nice idea. I have always found it hard to make a divination based caster that is actually useful in combat as well as outside. Trying to making more effective reduces his power outside and vice versa, but this seems to be balanced, just tipping to the outside of combat part.

He doesn't have many spells that are overly useful in combat. But he does have illusion spells like minor and major image, which he can use.

The question I ask myself is if someone would be able to play this guy in a party of 4 people. I would like to, but one thing I miss is teleportation. And it's not a focus of the class so I don't expect it to be there.

This is a great utility caster and is one of those classes that can't fill a major role, but when all the major roles are filled, he provides a large power boost to the party.

wayfare
2012-05-26, 08:04 PM
I really like this. One question though, Insight activates whenever you have a shield even if your covered in heavy armor. Was this intentional?

Does it? Its not supposed to! What bit of wording am I missing?

Thanks for the catch, Milo!

JKTrickster
2012-05-26, 08:54 PM
Oooh I like.

One thing is that I would recommend expanding the Advanced Learning to Divination spells in general. This is because Wizards don't often have the best Divination spells and this gives them to freedom to look outside of the box.

wayfare
2012-05-26, 09:50 PM
Oooh I like.

One thing is that I would recommend expanding the Advanced Learning to Divination spells in general. This is because Wizards don't often have the best Divination spells and this gives them to freedom to look outside of the box.

Sounds reasonable!

Sypher667
2012-05-26, 10:06 PM
Does it? Its not supposed to! What bit of wording am I missing?

Thanks for the catch, Milo!

You currently say "unarmored, or wearing a shield." I would suggest "unarmored, though you may still wear a shield"

wayfare
2012-05-26, 10:26 PM
You currently say "unarmored, or wearing a shield." I would suggest "unarmored, though you may still wear a shield"

Changed!

Can anyone eyeball the tier ranking for me?

Empedocles
2012-05-27, 04:38 PM
This is....

gorgeous.

There's room for it in high fantasy and gritty low fantasy alike, it's balanced, it's flavorful...

WOW.

Honestly, I wish I could add more constructive feedback, but this feels pretty much complete to me. Maybe some more cursing type stuff in the spell list? But that's not even necessary...

Aha! You need an image...

http://img.waffleimages.com/f05abfee6beced111383c0d1db42adea6f40c63e/mc-cov-complete-arcane.jpg

(and a familiar)

wayfare
2012-05-28, 04:38 PM
This is....

gorgeous.

There's room for it in high fantasy and gritty low fantasy alike, it's balanced, it's flavorful...

WOW.

Honestly, I wish I could add more constructive feedback, but this feels pretty much complete to me. Maybe some more cursing type stuff in the spell list? But that's not even necessary...

Aha! You need an image...

(and a familiar)

Thanks, Vilpich! I'll add that Image right away!

As for familiar, I think I am just going to make that a "arcane cohort" feat that allows the character to get a familiar!

Anybody want to take a try at eyeballing a tier?

wayfare
2012-05-29, 01:28 PM
Thanks, Vilpich! I'll add that Image right away!

As for familiar, I think I am just going to make that a "arcane cohort" feat that allows the character to get a familiar!

Anybody want to take a try at eyeballing a tier?

Shameless Bump!

The more I look at this, the more I think its high Tier 4 rather than Tier 3.

JKTrickster
2012-05-29, 05:45 PM
Hmmm...maybe give it some kind of minor rerolling ability? The ability can scale in number of usages, as well as the the types of rolls it can affect (first personal, then allies, then finally enemies). How does that sound?

Empedocles
2012-05-29, 06:09 PM
This isn't as flavorful as rerolling but some knowledge stuff, like archivist's dark knowledge and whatnot would fit.

wayfare
2012-05-29, 06:34 PM
Hmmm...maybe give it some kind of minor rerolling ability? The ability can scale in number of usages, as well as the the types of rolls it can affect (first personal, then allies, then finally enemies). How does that sound?

Lol, I love that mechanic, but I actually have it on my Paladin re-write (the logic being, a Paladin believes in something so hard he wills it to success)! Trying not to duplicate class features.