PDA

View Full Version : New DM needs to fill town party

Heatwizard
2012-05-27, 08:10 AM
So, for the first session, everyone's going to end up rolling into a town in the middle of a Festival of Masks. It's convenient, because the Druid just broke out of a secret cell, and this way people won't recognize him when his captors come looking for him the next day. Also, it's not a tavern. Eventually, I'll wind up filling the majority of the session with the PCs helping to set up impromptu fortifications for, and then fight, a handful of trolls with the town's guard.

However, I want to sort of convey the party...atmosphere? Before I ruin it all with a fight. Fill it with a few things for PCs to do. I figure I'll throw in an archery competition, even though none of the PCs are archers; everyone likes prizes. Beyond that, though, I'm not entirely sure. I'm stepping up to the DM plate for the first time, so help me out here, guys.

It's Eberron, and the town in question is on the Karrnath side of Scion's Sound(so that the trolls can come from Karrnwood, and the party can have a boat-based getaway, or try to hike for the lightning rail if they really want). It's a port town, but pretty small as those go. 3.5, but given that this isn't about mechanics, I figured I'd do better posting this out here. The party's an amnesiac vermin-based Druid who just busted out of a secret prison cell in the forest, a Paladin squire who's trying to track his recently MIA knight-errant boss, a Swashbuckler who washed up on the shore after a huge treasure score caused the crew to mutiny, and a Monk-style homebrew who didn't tell me his backstory so he's just passing through by coincidence.

I can try to wing it, sessions tend to not run THAT long and the fight will probably occupy most of it, but if I can get any good ideas before tonight, I'd really appreciate the breathing room. (It took me until yesterday to get character sheets out of 'em, they've known this was coming for three weeks. It's like pulling teeth.) Thanks, playground.

Kol Korran
2012-05-27, 08:29 AM
a few ideas:

- there is a small tent of a fortune teller (shifter? halfling? changling- looking differently for everyone). s/he asks the character creepy questions, and give ominous foreboding (but not "too" accurate, you know?). The fortune teller has some bodyguard (hobgoblin? orc?) that gives some sort of ominous advice as the person leaves.

- House Ghalanda has a big round table of selling delicious slightly intoxicating rum pies! (might cause slight intoxication, but perhaps also a slight moral bonus?) they are hosting an all you can eat contest as well, with a slight prize (some fine wine or the like)

- a priest of the Soevereign host shares tales of daring and luck of some hero (i'll leave you to the details) keeping praising Olladra as his patron. he calls for any heroes to try their luck with a draw of a card or dice. those who succeed greatly may get a nice token of a prize. those who fail are slapped on the back. "better luck next time!v perhaps you're not a hero yet! as is the world, so are the gods. as are the gods, so is the world" (i know this is Karrnath, but there are Host priests there)

- pickpockets: either children or thrifty halflings. they try to steal probably those showing a great deal of money, or occupied in one of the other events.

- the minx and the brute: one of the party has a beautiful woman hit on them. they flirt for awhile, perhaps even dance? when her husband/ friend/ eager suitor comes along, angry, and wanting compensation for the "insult" from the PC. (she tries to get him jealous) solve it as you will.

- the great dance! (put on some music). lots of people try to dance, possibly taking the PCs into it, exchanging masks, places, identities and such.

- the magic show! some sort of passing mage makes some sort of "magic show", mostly relying on wand/s of prestidigitation and maybe minor illusions. s/he is telling some stories that might be of interest later? or they might call upon the audience (PCs) for participation some how.

hope this will do. :smallwink:

Dazdya
2012-05-27, 09:24 AM
Most festivals are created to remember some historical event. Once you know that event, you can colour in the festival. Examples:

- Long ago a siege was broken. A boy venturing out of the city found pots of stew. Every year, the people eat stew to remember that.

- The old king found his bride in the city, and the city became renowned for her beauty. The festival features young men wooing women.

- The city rebelled, a long time ago, because they were overtaxed. The authorities reaffirm their commitment to the government, but it is a sport during the festival to wear masks of the old 'liberators'. Wearing a mask will get you chased by the guards.

As you see, a brief history creates story behind the party. The first example is from my home city, the other two are made up. But if you think they are weird, it's time to google some. There are festivals involving throwing goats from church towers, throwing paint at passersby, being chased by bulls and carrying flaming barrels. And they all have historic reasons for existing.

ClockShock
2012-05-27, 09:49 AM
... and carrying flaming barrels. And they all have historic reasons for existing.

I can vouch for this. They were to ward the village of evil spirits. Damn good fun.

Frenth Alunril
2012-05-27, 11:57 AM
You should also have a commencement of some kind where and important person gathers everyone together to say what the festival is for, and gets everyone to cheer.

I did this a few times with religious festivals recently, and I included hunts, Sadie-Hawkins Dances, and silly race for young men around the outside of the town, where they broke into teams of 6, each had a wreath was wrapped around a cord of a color, and they would run a relay. At the hand-off points there was a wall 10 foot tall, and the teammates would need to toss their wreath over the wall to (hopefully) their companion, who would then run off to the end of the race. The color of the cord hidden in the wreath that won the race determined the prize, so it was important, if you were on the yellow team, that you finished first, or, at least with the yellow teams wreath. Granted, you were always better off getting your wreath in the hands of the fastest team. but... it's a festival, make games!

Make it fun.

Then screw it up.

Its a great place to plant recurring NPCs!

newBlazingAngel
2012-06-08, 05:59 PM
-An old timey, bare knuckles boxing ring. The price could be some enchanted gloves that do additional unarmed damage.

-Some sort of exotic food with a unique effect

-Lot's and lots of bards. Some sing, some recite poetry. The best will be the ones that tell tales and legends of old.

-Sword in a stone

-Gentelmanly fights with dulled weapons. Maybe some sort of title for being the champion?

-A forgeign peddler who sells whimsical, but useful if used right magic items (fireworks, stones that make odd popping noises when thrown against the ground ect.)