PDA

View Full Version : Hat Trick (0 level disguise spell)

Cipher Stars
2012-05-27, 11:59 AM
I made this in a few seconds on the spot for a 0 level spell, mostly intended for Pathfinder but I see little difference between it and 3.5.
How is it? Anyone think of a better name perhaps?

Hat Trick
School transmutation (polymorph);
Level bard 0, sorcerer/wizard 0, Witch 0
Casting Time Full action
Components V, S
Range personal
Target you
Duration 1 min./level (D)
You quickly alter your appearance using your disguise skill, alterations can be height up to six inches, add or subtract fat or muscle, change coloration, and heavily alter the appearance of light armor or clothing you are wearing. This is a cosmetic change, and has no effect on your stats and can't effect magic items or heavier armors then simple leather. The spell is somewhat crude, and merely directed instead of commanded, it applies only a +2 to your disguise check instead of a polymorph's normal +10 when making yourself look like someone specific.
Special: Cannot be used while observed.

Techwarrior
2012-05-27, 12:58 PM
This is actually a very useful spell. Probably too powerful for a cantrip. A normal disguise attempt takes at minimum 10 minutes (at least in 3.5 not sure about pathfinder). You're giving this as a standard action, not even a whole round. I think I'd change it to Illusion (glamer) and ditch the disguise bonus. Alternatively, it could be a 1st level spell with the bonus.

Larkas
2012-05-27, 01:37 PM
On Polymorph subschool (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magic.html#polymorph).

Emphasis on this piece of text:

(...) these spells make you appear to be the creature, granting you a +10 bonus on Disguise skill checks (...)

So I'm with Techwarrior in this, you might want to change it to Illusion (glamer). Furthermore, take a look at Disguise Self (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/disguiseSelf.html#_disguise-self), it's a similar, if 1st level, spell. Aim for a weaker version of it and you might be set.

Cipher Stars
2012-05-27, 04:20 PM
Edited .

Rogue Shadows
2012-05-28, 09:35 PM
Hate to point this out, but the Spell Compendium already has a pretty similar spell called minor disguise.

Minor Disguise
Transmutation
Level: Bard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour

Your fingertips glow blue, and you add a few details to enhance your disguise.

You use magic to make minor, cosmetic changes in your appearance. The spell does not change the actual structure of either your features or body. It can add color to hair, paint wrinkles upon your face, give you a scar, or darken your teeth. This spell gives you a +2 competence bonus on the next Disguise check you make during its duration.[/quote]