PDA

View Full Version : Don't stick your fork in that power socket!! (3.5 prestige class, PEACH)

Greyfeld85
2012-05-27, 02:04 PM
Capacitor
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/187992_192645390755507_3705868_n.jpg
You might say it was... shockingly... expensive. - Peter Griffin

Capacitors are not mages. They are not wizards, psions, shaman, priests, or sorcerers. They are lightning rods. Creatures who have been touched by the most raw and primal energy and have been forever changed by it. Capacitors draw on the world's electric charge and channel it to their own will, hurling bolts of raw energy, or sharing the life-giving spark.

No, this class wasn't inspired by Family Guy, but I thought the picture was amusingly appropriate :P

Currently, the class is very rough. I had a hard time deciding on a skill list, I'm not 100% sure about the saving throws, and I'm not altogether sure of the class is worth taking outside of flavor reasons. I'm still considering turning it into a base class instead of a prestige class, but it would take a pretty large revamping to do so.

Anywho, let me know what you think. Be honest, but be constructive, please!

Requirements
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks
Special: Must have been struck by a natural bolt of lightning.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0| Juice Up, Discharge, Shocking Grasp

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0| Jolt

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1| Static Arc, Electricity Resistance 10

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1| Jump-start, Lightning Bolt

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1| Magnetism

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2| Electricity Resistance 20, Call Lightning Storm

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2| Neuro-spark, System Shock

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+2| Static Surge, Chain Lightning

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+3| Electricity Immunity, Defibrilate

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+3| Emergency Battery, Summon Lightning Monolith[/table]

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Swim, Tumble
Skills per Level: 4 + Int modifier
Hit dice: d8

Weapon/Armor Proficiencies - Capacitors gain proficiency with one metal simple or martial weapon. They gain proficiency with bucklers and light shields, but gain no other armor proficiencies.

Juice Up (Ex) - Capacitors can create an electric charge and hold it inside of their body simply by walking and moving around, harnessing the static electricity it produces. Every 5 feet of movement produces 1 Charge Point. Charge Points (or CP for short) are expended to activate many of the Capacitor's class features. The Capacitor has no maximum limit of CP they can hold at any given time, but he does have an Insulation Limit equal to (Class Level x2) + (Constitution Score). A Capacitor takes 1 damage per CP he exceeds his Insulation Limit once per round, at the beginning of his turn. This damage ignores damage reduction and immunity.

Discharge (Ex) - In addition to gaining electric charge, Capacitors are also able to discharge their electric buildup at will. As a Swift action, he may expend 1d6 + Constituation modifier Charge Points. As a Move action, he may expend 1d12 + Constituation modifier Charge Points. As a Full-Round action, he may expend 1d20 + Constitution modifer Charge Points. Expending CP in this way releases the charge directly into the atmosphere, causing all enemies in a 10 foot radius of you to reduce their movement speed by the amount of points expended (round to the nearest 5-foot increment) for 1 round. In addition, they must succeed a Fort Save DC 10 + class level + Constitution modifier or be stunned for 1 round.

Outside of combat, Capacitors are able to keep a more controlled grasp of the amount of electrical charge stored within their bodies, and how much is released. Due to having more time to focus and keep their bodies balanced, Capacitors can decide exactly how many points remain stored within their body without the need to discharge it in large bursts. However, they must still heed their Insulation Limit, both inside and outside of combat.

Shocking Grasp (Ex) - A capacitor can channel his charge directly through his hands into his target. At will, a capacitor may expend 3 CP to use Shocking Grasp, as the spell (PHB, pg. 279). This ability requires no verbal component, but still requires a somatic gesture to direct it. Using this ability grants attacks of opportunity.

Jolt (Ex) - At level 2, the Capacitor has begun to learn to properly channel the charge stored in his body. By expending 1 CP, a Capacitor may make a ranged touch attack against a target within 30 feet of him as an attack action. Jolt deals 1d6 + Constitution modifier electricity damage. The damage die is increased to 1d8 against targets wearing, holding, or made of a large amount of metal, or wet/submerged in water.

Alternatively, the Capacitor may channel his charge through an equipped metal weapon as a free action every time he attacks, dealing additional electricity damage with each attack equal to his Constitution modifier, 1.5x his Constitution modifier against targets wearing, holding, or made of a large amount of metal, or wet/submerged in water.

The Capacitor may use Jolt any time he would normally get an attack, as long as he has enough CP to power it.

Whenever a Capacitor uses Jolt, he may expend additional CP to ignore a creature's damage resistance. At level 2, he may expend CP to ignore DR at a rate of 1:1. At level 5 he may expend CP to ignore DR at a rate of 1:2. At level 8 he may expend CP to ignore DR at a rate of 1:3. The ability to ignore damage reduction in this way only effects the electricity damage dealt through the Jolt ability.

Electricity Resistance (Ex) - At 3rd level, a capacitor gains electricity resistance 10. At level 6, his resistance increases to 20. At 9th level, a capacitor becomes immune to electricity damage.

Static Arc (Ex) - At level 3, the Capacitor has begun mastering holding his charge at the surface, waiting to strike at a moment's notice. When struck in melee combat, the Capacitor immediately unleashes an arc of electricity that deals damage to the target equal to his Constitution modifier, 1.5x his Constitution modifier if he was struck with a metal weapon.

Lightning Bolt (Ex) - At 4th level, a capacitor can launch a bolt of electricity at his targets. At will, he may expend 9 CP to use Lightning Bolt, as the spell (PHB, pg. 248). This ability requires no verbal or material components, but still requires a somatic gesture to direct it. Using this ability grants attacks of opportunity.

Jump-start (Ex) - At 4th level, a capacitor can channel his electric charge directly into his body, causing his muscles to work beyond their usual limits. Once per encounter, by expending 10 CP as a free action, a capacitor gains +4 Strength and Dexterity for a number of rounds equal to 2 + 1/2 his Constituion modifier. When jump-start ends, the capacitor loses jump-start's modifiers and is fatigued for the duration of the current encounter. If he is already fatigued, he instead becomes exhausted. At level 7 the bonuses increase to +6 strength/dexterity. At level 10 he maintains the same +6 bonus to strength/dexterity , but he is also treated as if he were under the effects of a Haste spell.

Magnetism (Ex) - At level 5, the Capacitor can use his charge to create a magnetic polarity in any object he can touch. As a standard action, he can expend 5 CP and touch an object to infuse it with a positive or negative polarity.

Positive polarity attracts metal objects. If the object is a piece of armor, attacks against the wearer with metal weapons gain a bonus equal to 1/2 the Capacitor's Constitution modifier (min. 1). If the object is a weapon, the wielder's attacks with that weapon gain a bonus equal to 1/2 the Capacitor's Constitution modifier (min. 1) against targets wearing, holding, or made of a large amount of metal.

Negative polarity repels metal objects. If the object is a piece of armor, attacks against the wearer with metal weapons are taken at a penalty equal to 1/2 the Capacitor's Constitution modifier (min. 1). If the object is a weapon, the wielder's attacks with that weapon are taken at a penalty equal to 1/2 the Capacitor's Constitution modifier (min. 1) against targets wearing, holding, or made of a large amount of metal.

The effects of positive and negative polarity also pull/push metal objects just as a magnet would. An object that's magnetized pushes or pulls all metal objects within the same square as if those items were inside a gust of wind equal to (10 x 1/2 Constitution modifier) miles per hour. Objects 5 feet away are effected as if inside a gust of wind half that speed (rounded down). The effects of Magnetism do not reach beyond this radius.

Magnetism lasts a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your class level. Attended and magical items get a Fort Save DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Constitution modifier to resist being magnetized.

Call Lightning Storm (Ex) - At level 6, a capacitor can use his charge as a lightning rod to call down bolt after bolt of electricity. At will, he may expend 15 CP to use Call Lightning Storm, as the spell (PHB, pg. 207). This ability requires no verbal component, but still requires a somatic component to direct it. Using this ability grants attacks of opportunity.

Neuro-spark (Ex) - At level 7, a capacitor learns to adjust his neuro-pathways with his electrical charge, causing his body to react differently to outer stimuli. If a capacitor fails a saving throw, he may activate neuro-spark as an immediate action to increase his saving throw result by up to 1/2 his class level. The capacitor expends an amount of CP equal to twice the bonus granted to his save by this ability.

System Shock (Ex) - At 7th level, a capacitor's energy discharge has become more controlled and more deadly. Any creature dealt damage by the capacitor's static arc or jolt abilities must make a DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Constitution modifier Fortitude Save. A failed save reduces the target's saves, attack rolls, and AC by 1 for one round. Multiple failed saves against system shock may apply cumulative penalties to the same target, but may not exceed 1/2 the capacitor's class level in total. Each time a target fails their save against system shock, the duration of the penalty is refreshed to one full round.

Chain Lightning (Ex) - At 8th level, a capacitor can hurl out his stored charge to electrify multiple targets at once. At will, he may expend 18 CP to use Chain Lightning, as the spell (PHB, pg. 208). This ability requires no verbal or focus components, but still requires a somatic component to direct it. Using this ability grants attacks of opportunity.

Static Surge (Ex) - At level 8, a Capacitor has further developed his ability to focus his electrical discharge. Expending 1/2 his current CP, he can use a standard action to perform a touch attack, dumping a massive amount of his charge into his target. Static Surge deals 1d8 damage per class level (max 10d8) plus the number of CP expended, Fort Save DC 10 + class level + Constitution modifier for 1/2 damage. Whether or not the target saves, he is knocked prone. For a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the capacitor's class level, the target must roll a Fortitude save at the beginning of its turn (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + 1/2 CP expended). Every time the target fails its save, it is stunned for that round, and takes electricity damage equal to the capacitor's Constitution modifier.

Defibrilate (Ex) - At level 9, a capacitor can dump his entire charge into a recently-slain creature, jolting its heart into pumping once more. By expending all CP he currently has stored inside him, a capacitor can spend a full-round action to attempt to revive somebody who has been killed within the last 10 rounds (1 minute). Roll a percentile die; if the result is equal to or lower than the number of CP expended, the target is revived. If the result is higher, the defibrilation fails, and all CP is still expended.

In all ways, except those listed above, Defibrilate operates exactly like the Raise Dead spell (PHB pg. 268).

Emergency Battery (Ex) - At 10th level, a capacitor's stored electrical charge allows him to push his body onward long after it should have stopped. Once per round, if a capacitor falls between -1 and -9 hit points, he immediately takes 2 Constitution damage and gains enough temporary hit points to put him at 1 hit point. The capacitor expends a number of CP equal to 1/2 the temporary hit points gained in this way (rounded up). If a capacitor has a constitution score of 2 or less, he cannot use emergency battery.

Summon Lightning Monolith (Su) - At 10th level, a capacitor's charge is so strong that he can draw like-minded creatures from other planes. At will, he can expend 27 CP to use Summon Elemental Monolith, as the spell (Spell Compendium, pg. 214). A capacitor may only summon a lightning elemental monolith with this ability, as described below. Summon lightning monolith requires no verbal component, but still requires a spinel worth at least 100 gp as a material component and a somatic component to direct it. Using this ability grants attacks of opportunity.

Lightning Monolith
Gargantuan Elemental (Air, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 36d8+216 (378 hp)
Initiative: +18
Speed: Fly 120 ft. (Good)
Armor Class: 34 (-4 size, +14 Dex, 14 natural), touch 20, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +27/+50
Attack: Slam +37 melee (6d6+10/19-20)
Full Attack: 2 slams +37 melee (6d6+10/19-20)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Metal Mastery, Shock, Jolt
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/-, darkvision 60 ft., electricity immunity, elemental traits
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +34, Will +16
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 38, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +16, Diplomacy +5, Intimidate +16, Jump +40, Listen +41, Sense Motive +15, Spot +41, Tumble +24
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Devastating Critical (Slam), Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Flight, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Slam), Overwhelming Critical (Slam), Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Slam)
Environment: Elemental Plane of Air
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually chaotic
Advancement: 37-54 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: --

Metal Mastery (Ex): A lightning monolith gains a +3 bonus on attack rolls if its opponent is wearing metal armor, is wielding a metal weapon, or is made of metal (such as an iron golem).

Shock (Su): Once per round as a free action, a lightning monolith can deliver an electrical shock to a single opponent within 10 feet. This attack deals 18d4 nonlethal electricity damage to living opponents (DC 34 Fortitude save for half). The save DC is constitution based.

Jolt (Ex): A lightning monolith's slam attack deals bludgeoning damage plus electricity damage because of the creature's electric body. Anyone hit by a lightning monolith's slam attack must succeed on a DC 34 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Creatures that hit a lightning monolith with metal weapons, natural weapons, or unarmed attacks are stunned for 1 round as though hit by the monolith's attack, unless they succeed in a DC 34 Fortitude save.

eftexar
2012-05-27, 06:19 PM
Juice Up is really interesting. I've not seen a system where the player can overload on their own energy before just by having it. I really sort of wish this would be extended into a full base class. Onto the nitty gritty though.
I think because static arc relies entirely on constitution it risks becoming obsolete higher levels. How about adding 1/2 or even 1/4 class levels to it?
I noticed some of the abilities replicate spells. What do you think about allowing him to spend more to increase their power or add effects warlock style?

Greyfeld85
2012-05-27, 09:23 PM
I considered that, but I already felt that the PrC was becoming a bit bloated, so I decided to post it as-is and see what commentary I could get about it first.

As I said in one of my spoilers, I'm still considering turning this into a base class. As it stands, it very much has its own flavor, and I don't feel that it really fits very well as a prestige class. Martial classes lose BAB, and spellcasters sacrifice spell levels. I think I could probably turn this into a better self-contained class if I extended it out to 20 levels. But it took me a while to properly hammer this out, so it'll take me a while to come up with the 20 level version. That said, I did have some other ideas for the class that I never got to put in, so we'll see how that goes.

If I turn this into a base class, I might add 1/2 class level to the Static Arc damage.

I liked the idea of characters being able to burn themselves out if they charge up too much. Having a hard cap of energy stored is easy to implement, but it's rigid and it's been done to death. Aside from being different, having a soft-cap that allows you to damage yourself means that the player has the freedom to decide if it's worth taking a few damage to really dump a load of points into one of his abilities.