PDA

View Full Version : Come Dance With Me [3.X, PEACH]

GunbladeKnight
2012-06-05, 04:02 AM
The Dancer

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/193/a/5/mtgbazaar___commission_by_kamyu-d3nhbtj.jpg
Dancer in the typical garb. Image by Kamyu on Deviantart
“Many kings would die to see my dances. Some even by my hands.” - Euphemia, court entertainer and assassin.

HD: d6
Skills: Acrobatics (DEX), Athletics (STR), Concentration (CON), Deception (CHA), Escape Artist (DEX), Knowledge (Geography) (INT), Knowledge (Local) (INT), Knowledge (Nobility) (INT), Perception (WIS), Perform (CHA), Persuasion (CHA), Stealth (DEX), Social (CHA), Thievery (DEX), Use Magic Device (CHA)
Skill Points: 8+INT modifier

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|
Battle Dance, Distracting Strike +1d6, Inspiring Dance +1

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|
Evasion, Fascinating Dance, Trapfinding

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|
Distracting Strike +2d6, Quick Step +5ft

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|
Graceful Landing, Twirling Blades

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|
Distracting Strike +3d6, Graceful Steps, Inspiring Dance +2

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|
Improved Battle Dance, Second Wind

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|
Distracting Strike +4d6

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|
Dance of the Floating Step

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|
Distracting Strike +5d6, Improved Evasion, Quick Step +10ft

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|
Inspiring Dance +3

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|
Distracting Strike +6d6, Greater Battle Dance

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|
Dance of the Pride

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|
Distracting Strike +7d6

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|
Irresistible Dance

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|
Distracting Strike +8d6, Inspiring Dance +4, Quick Step +15ft

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|
Master Battle Dance

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|
Dance of the Eagles, Distracting Strike +9d6

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|
Distracting Strike +10d6

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|
Dancer of Legend, Inspiring Dance +5

[/table]

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Dancers, due to their fighting style, prefer weapons that are easy to conceal or swing in circular motions. They gain proficiency with the dagger, sickle, kukri, short sword, scimitar, long sword, kama, whip, orcish battle-claw, elven faeblade, shuriken, and snake sword. They are proficient with light armor and not with shields.

Battle Dance (Ex): The dancer can begin a battle dance as a swift action, gaining a +4 enhancement bonus to dexterity and charisma to AC, including touch AC, for a number of rounds equal to 3 plus constitution modifier. The dancer moves at half speed while in a battle dance, and becomes fatigued until the end of the encounter when finished. While in a battle dance, the dancer may make an additional attack at his/her highest attack bonus, but all attacks suffer a -2 penalty. The dancer cannot enter a battle dance while fatigued or exhausted.

Distracting Strike (Ex): While in a battle dance, the dancer's graceful movements catch his/her opponents off-guard. The dancer deals an additional d6 damage plus 1d6 per two levels above first when in a battle dance. This is precision damage and counts as sneak attack for the purpose of feats and entering prestige classes.

Inspiring Dance (Ex): While a battle dance may be deadly to the enemy, it inspires greatness in the dancer's allies. All allies that can see the dancer while in a battle dance gain +1 to attack and damage rolls. This improves by +1 at every five dancer levels.

Evasion (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, whenever the dancer is subjected to a spell or effect with a lessened effect on a successful reflex save, the dancer takes no effect on a successful save.

Fascinating Dance (Su): Starting at 2nd level, the dancer may attempt to enthrall creatures with his/her graceful movements. While in a battle dance, the dancer may target an enemy within 60ft that can see the dancer and have it make a will save or be fascinated for the duration of the dance. The dancer may target one addition creature for every three dancer levels. The DC is 10 plus half dancer levels plus charisma modifier. Any damage to fascinated creatures automatically ends it.

Trapfinding (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, the dancer is able to find traps others would miss. The dancer is able to locate traps with a search DC higher than 20.

Quick Step (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, the dancer's training has increased his/her steps, allowing the dancer to move faster. The dancer gains an extra 5ft step in addition to normal movement plus an additional 5ft step per six dancer levels above 3rd.

Graceful Landing (Ex): The dancer is used to rolling and tumbling. Starting at 4th level, the dancer is able to reduce falling damage as though it were 10ft shorter per class level. Thus, a 4th level dancer that falls 50ft may treat is as though it were 10ft instead.

Twirling Blades (Ex): The dancer has turned his/her movements into a true fighting style. Starting at 4th level, the dancer may make 5ft steps between attacks, but may not return to the square he/she just exited. The dancer provokes attacks of opportunities from any creatures except the last creature hit before movement. The dancer may not exceed their movement speed.

Graceful Steps (Ex): Starting at 5th level, the dancer's feet seem to never touch the ground. The dancer is unhindered by difficult terrain and may move through caltrops without risking stepping on one.

Improved Battle Dance (Ex): Starting at 6th level, the dancer's technique improves, granting +6 to dexterity and the dancer may now move at full speed.

Second Wind (Ex): Starting at 6th level, the dancer's intense training allows him/her to recover faster than normal. The dancer can recover from the fatigued or exhausted state with a full round action.

Dance of the Floating Step (Su): Starting at 8th level, the dancer's steps border on the impossible. While in a battle dance, the dancer may walk on any liquid without being harmed.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Starting at 9th level, the dancer only receives half damage on a failed reflex save.

Greater Battle Dance (Ex): Starting at 11th level, the dancer's technique improves even more, granting a +8 to dexterity. The dancer's movement also keeps the enemies guessing, granting a 20% miss chance.

Dance of the Pride (Ex): Starting at 12th level, while in a battle dance, whenever the dancer charges an enemy the dancer may make a full attack.

Irresistible Dance (Su): Starting at 14th level, the dancer's rhythm begins to catch on. Any enemy fascinated by the dancer must make a will save at each round after it becomes fascinated or be treated as under the Irresistible Dance spell. DC is 10 plus half dancer levels plus charisma modifier, and the caster level is equal to dancer levels.

Master Battle Dance (Ex): Starting at 16th level, the dancer's technique has reach its pinnacle. The dancer gains +10 to dexterity and no longer provokes attacks of opportunity due to movement.

Dance of the Eagles (Su): Starting at 17th level level, the dancer is able to do the impossible and walk on air. While in a battle dance, the dancer gains a fly speed equal to land speed.

Dancer of Legend (Ex): At 20th level, the dancer's speed and grace become unmatched. Once per battle dance, the dancer is able to double the number of attacks.

Whew, now that one is finally out of my mind. As always, any comments/suggestions are appreciated. This is supposed to be a combination bard/rogue (though I dislike partial casting and uses per day abilities). I'll probably fill out more fluff as I have more time.

Amechra
2012-06-05, 10:08 AM
Needs a duck form (sorry, the name is an unintentional reference to something you probably haven't heard of.)

Other than that, specify that you can't enter a Battle Dance while fatigued and that you can only use it once per encounter; also, I would think Quick Step would be more unique if you made it so you could still make 5' steps after moving, and then gave them extra 5' steps, since it would allow them extra movement when combined with Twirling Blades.

Also, may I suggest changing Distracting Strike to Skirmish? You can move while attacking (thanks to Twirling Blades), and a DC 20 Tumble check isn't that hard when you have such a hefty bonus to Dex, so taking a 5' step and then using Twirling Blades to get yourself some Skirmish damage (especially if quick step gives you multiple 5' steps; maybe up to 20' per round of them at higher levels, while still getting the speed increases?), which fits the "mobile dancer" theme a lot better. Then you can do all kinds of neat tricks, like dipping some Ranger for a Favored Enemy (or the other way around; this would be epic with a TWF Ranger.)

Because as it is... a Dancer with the TWF chain and, oh, I don't know, Haste comes along, and enters a Battle Dance. Let's say that she's 9th level, for the sake of argument. That's 5 attacks dealing +5d6 extra damage, with no extra work to get it, that are likely to hit because you have Weapon Finesse and a large Dex bonus.

OK, that's actually not that bad; after all, a Rogue can do the same thing, right? Well, the Rogue has to be clever about it; this is the kinda feature I expect to see on a raging Barbarian, not a graceful dancer.

Consider a 20th level Dancer; they have 14 attacks that each deal +10d6 extra damage each (let's add a +20 from Craven while we're at it, shall we?). That's 140d6+280 damage, which is incredibly nice; now, let's see...

Natural Weapons? Bam, sharp up-tick in number of attacks.

A bow, since you didn't specify range? A 20th level Dancer will be whipping out 20+ attacks using all the basic archery tech (that's just getting Rapid Shot, a casting of Haste, and a Splitting Bow, which are all no-brainers.)

200d6 damage. At nearly touch attack to-hit rates.

(Quick Math: Elf Dancer; puts an 18 in Dex, increases to 20 due to racial bonuses. Add +5 to that from levels, +5 from that for a Tome of [Dex Increase, can't recall the name], and a +6 from a Dex increasing item. That's a 36; they get a +10 untyped bonus to Dex, to get to a 46 Dex. that's a +18 to hit, before you factor in BAB, bow enhancements, and so on and so forth; your first attack will be at around a +36 to hit, before you factor in any buffs that might be on you besides Greater Magic Weapon and Battle Dance)

So, yeah, either give it back some of the weaknesses of Sneak Attack, or change it to Skirmish. Please.

GunbladeKnight
2012-06-05, 07:45 PM
Needs a duck form (sorry, the name is an unintentional reference to something you probably haven't heard of.)
Whoosh, right over my head.

Other than that, specify that you can't enter a Battle Dance while fatigued and that you can only use it once per encounter
Derped on that since I made this at like 3am. Will add in can't use when fatigued. As for uses per encounter: I'm not a fan of that, though others can definitely do that as they like.

also, I would think Quick Step would be more unique if you made it so you could still make 5' steps after moving, and then gave them extra 5' steps, since it would allow them extra movement when combined with Twirling Blades.
Interesting. This I shall consider...

Also, may I suggest changing Distracting Strike to Skirmish? You can move while attacking (thanks to Twirling Blades), and a DC 20 Tumble check isn't that hard when you have such a hefty bonus to Dex, so taking a 5' step and then using Twirling Blades to get yourself some Skirmish damage (especially if quick step gives you multiple 5' steps; maybe up to 20' per round of them at higher levels, while still getting the speed increases?), which fits the "mobile dancer" theme a lot better. Then you can do all kinds of neat tricks, like dipping some Ranger for a Favored Enemy (or the other way around; this would be epic with a TWF Ranger.)
Actually, at work today I began thinking of ways to not make it automatic. Perhaps require a bluff (deception) vs spot (perception) check as a swift action while in a battle dance? Tumble DC 15/20 + class levels as swift action? Will specify that it is precision damage (doesn't work on crit-immune monsters, etc).

Consider a 20th level Dancer; they have 14 attacks that each deal +10d6 extra damage each (let's add a +20 from Craven while we're at it, shall we?). That's 140d6+280 damage, which is incredibly nice; now, let's see...
Also consider this is at medium BAB, so many of those will likely miss... Okay, maybe not with weapon finesse...

A bow, since you didn't specify range? A 20th level Dancer will be whipping out 20+ attacks using all the basic archery tech (that's just getting Rapid Shot, a casting of Haste, and a Splitting Bow, which are all no-brainers.)
Didn't specify because I never considered it at the time. Also, they do not gain proficiency unless they are elves, took the feat, or dipped into a class that gave martial proficiencies.

As for the bonus, I think I'll change it to an enhancement bonus so it won't stack with cat's grace or dex boosting items.

Anyone have any ideas for other class features, possibly ones that allow options?