PDA

View Full Version : 8 bad sales words

pendell
2012-06-06, 04:11 PM
No , we're not talking about the word filter. We're talking about word choice in sales material (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-09D7Vi4XA&feature=related). Putting these words in a brochure or web ad is apparently a major turn off, like a Celine Dion song on a romantic evening.

But the first one is setting off my old man hackles.

The first word you're not supposed to use is "learn". Why? Because "learning" evidently conjures up association with schools and rulers cracked on knuckles and fifth grade class with Sister Frau Beatyoursenseless. No one wants to learn, so putting the word in is scary.

It's too much like ... work .

Oooh! There's a word he didn't use at all anywhere in his presentation!

Instead of "learn" we're supposed to say "discover", because "discover" is a word which conjures up images of children laughing and playing with blocks , or walking in wardrobes, or tumbling down rabbit holes. "Discover" is fresh and exciting! "Learn" is boring drudgery.

Call me grumpy, but it occurs to me that "discovery" requires every bit as much work as anything else if it's worth doing. Columbus discovered America by sailing ships for several weeks, and that was neither charming nor fun. Einstein discovered the theory of relativity by putting in years of skull sweat until the answer came.

So many things come through hard work. So few things can simply be bought. But I guess it's the job of sales people to give the opposite impression.

*Shakes his cane* Now git off my lawn!

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Dr Bwaa
2012-06-06, 04:20 PM
I for one have the opposite reaction to the word "discover", especially used as a command ("Discover how cool sharks are!"*). It makes me feel like a grade-schooler being taught by some sweet lady who's very nice but not going to treat me like an equal anytime soon.

*Sharks are actually really cool. Nothing against sharks.

Whiffet
2012-06-06, 04:26 PM
I guess the idea is that when you "learn" you're doing the work, the hard part, and when you "discover" you hit the end and get the reward for the work?

Yeah, okay, it's still stupid.

Still. The idea that two words can mean the same thing, but one has better associations in people's heads, is the whole point of euphemisms.

Although this particular one just feels condescending.

EDIT: I'm watching the video right now. I have been told using "but" is bad. Okay, fine. The reasoning why kind of makes sense. So how does "however" fix any of that? Maybe I'm an anomaly, but my first thought when I hear "however" is that whatever comes next will contrast with what I just heard. So basically exactly why you supposedly don't want to use "but" after building up your product.

Pie Guy
2012-06-06, 05:35 PM
EDIT: I'm watching the video right now. I have been told using "but" is bad. Okay, fine. The reasoning why kind of makes sense. So how does "however" fix any of that? Maybe I'm an anomaly, but my first thought when I hear "however" is that whatever comes next will contrast with what I just heard. So basically exactly why you supposedly don't want to use "but" after building up your product.

Wait, so maybe you should structure your ad to avoid using either word? How bizarre!

Really though, this guy doesn't have any idea what he's talking about beyond the basic concept. When I hear discover, I think ramming my head into a problem until a solution arises or I pass out. Learning is easy, I have someone there who knows more than I do to help. Same idea with tell and reveal. To me, reveal is associated with murder mysteries and betrayals. Don't want any of those, so tell works fine.

LaZodiac
2012-06-06, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the world of marketing. For as low as 10 dollars an hour, you to can learn to be a marketer and make up to 1000 dollars a day!*

*results may vary. Weasel words totally love you and will never betray you.

Mercenary Pen
2012-06-06, 06:05 PM
*results may vary. Weasel words totally love you and will never betray you.

Weasel words: Now available with actual weasels*

*Availability of weasels may depend on local habitat. The management accept no responsibility for living in an environment which is non-conducive to the presence of weasels

Cobra_Ikari
2012-06-06, 09:08 PM
There's something about the examples he uses that just seems misogynistic and makes me uncomfortable. =\

Riverdance
2012-06-06, 09:19 PM
Interesting. I'd never noticed how much "that" can be overused or get in the way, however now when I think about it it does seem to make sense.

Juggling Goth
2012-06-07, 01:44 AM
Words like "discover" make me think "oh god this manipulator is trying to sell me a lifestyle", but I'm difficult like that. It's a style... it's a philosophy... it's a way of life... no, it's something I don't need and can't afford. Away and give us peace.

You know what else is sales suicide? Reading out your Word document very very slowly. Got frustrated and turned off after 3 seconds. Aaargh.

thubby
2012-06-07, 02:05 AM
the important thing to keep in mind with these sorts of things is that they don't have to work on everyone, or even most people.
they only need to work reliably on a demographic large enough to turn a profit.

Xondoure
2012-06-07, 02:57 AM
There's something about the examples he uses that just seems misogynistic and makes me uncomfortable. =\

Yeah this. He's just not pleasant, which is much worse for marketing.

Brother Oni
2012-06-07, 05:13 AM
You know what else is sales suicide? Reading out your Word document very very slowly. Got frustrated and turned off after 3 seconds. Aaargh.

Only thing worse - reading out your powerpoint presentation slowly, word for word.

Yora
2012-06-07, 05:23 AM
What is worse is to have your entire work written out and on display in power point. I once sat in a seminar where I had to turn my chair around and look out the window because I could not hear a single word the people in the fron where saying, since my eyes always started trying to read the literal wall of text behind them and find the point they were currently talking about.
Okay, I didn't have my ADHD meds yet back then, but I think it was also annoying for everyone else.

Instead of "learn" we're supposed to say "discover", because "discover" is a word which conjures up images of children laughing and playing with blocks , or walking in wardrobes, or tumbling down rabbit holes. "Discover" is fresh and exciting! "Learn" is boring drudgery.
It's the oposite for me. Learning sounds like directed and at a purpose.
Discover is a buzzword that wants to con me into something with association with childish excitement.

But I am German, we have a reputation for not being fun to work with for very good reasons. :smallbiggrin:
Fun has no place in business. :smallmad:

Interesting. I'd never noticed how much "that" can be overused or get in the way, however now when I think about it it does seem to make sense.
You never had any academic encounters with linguistics or communications, havn't you? :smallbiggrin:
Spoken language consists about 50% of junk sounds, that you don't have in written language or in rehearsed speeches.

"Ask the question again, but this time don't start with "ehm..."."
Lot's of fun for everyone. Except the person speaking. :smallamused:

Juggling Goth
2012-06-07, 06:16 AM
Only thing worse - reading out your powerpoint presentation slowly, word for word.

I've been on so much training like that. I WORK IN A LIBRARY. I CAN READ FOR MYSELF. GAAAAAAAAH.

CapnRedBeard
2012-06-07, 06:19 AM
So much depends upon the product or service being sold.

I've been doing this at a agency level for quite a spell...think of the demographic first, second and third. What do they want? How does this product service help them get what they want? Where will they be when they see your ad? How do similar products market towards this demographic? Why? How much disposable income does this demographic have? Is your item crucial to them...or just desirable?

Examples: An adult diaper. That demographic is older. It's a unisex product. They are not going to respond well to social media campaigns. They are not going to be into having long drawn out conversations on the product. They are likely to still read printed material in the comfort of their own home. That is where you are going to try and reach them. They key word for them is reliability. Play up that angle. Keeping their diaper usage a secret will be desirable as well. Cost is important to 99.9% of humans...and is critical to all products marketed to the retirement age set.

Another example: Really expensive curtains. That demographic will be middle aged and most definately female. Aspirational is what I'd think about...as in what does she aspire to be? Seen as a successful by her peers, neighbors and friends? Stylish? Smart? Sophisticated? Cost is still important...but she can be talked into the higher cost item by presenting this item as being a great value. Nobody NEEDS expensive curtains...but the people that buy them WANT them highly. I'd play up the status symbol effect. Show them in a more expensive home than might typically display such window treatments. Talk to her like she already is a fellow superstar of style...and you are letting her know about the latest and greatest. Social media will be more effective here...but it's not a be all end all avenue of advertising for home decor.

Every demographic has different desires/needs. Every product is looking to fill these. You simply have to match the product to the appropriate demographic and know that demographic well. I worry less about individual words than I do in being seen by who needs to see it.

Brother Oni
2012-06-07, 06:27 AM
But I am German, we have a reputation for not being fun to work with for very good reasons. :smallbiggrin:

I thought the Teutonic reputation was for ruthless efficiency, rather than not being fun to work with?
Any country that rates second in the world on beer consumption per capita, must be fun after work hours. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2012-06-07, 06:37 AM
I thought the Teutonic reputation was for ruthless efficiency, rather than not being fun to work with?
Any country that rates second in the world on beer consumption per capita, must be fun after work hours. :smalltongue:

And now I picture a line of grim, scowling Germans at a bar, backs straight as they mechanically down their pints of beer without emotion or speaking.

Germans: Even their fun is Serious Business.

Asheram
2012-06-07, 06:59 AM
And now I picture a line of grim, scowling Germans at a bar, backs straight as they mechanically down their pints of beer without emotion or speaking.

Germans: Even their fun is Serious Business.

Something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLrvI7axMU) then?

Klose_the_Sith
2012-06-07, 08:09 AM

My great-uncle Uwe is more than a little like that. He misses East Germany just because of how rigidly structured his work life was ...

Trixie
2012-06-07, 08:23 AM
Call me grumpy, but it occurs to me that "discovery" requires every bit as much work as anything else if it's worth doing. Columbus discovered America by sailing ships for several weeks, and that was neither charming nor fun. Einstein discovered the theory of relativity by putting in years of skull sweat until the answer came.

It's probably the same as ending prices in .99 - people try to swear it doesn't work on them, and yet, this simple modification virtually always ends up in increased sales due to newly perceived "cheapness".

At the expense of time/money wasted required to deal with pennies, but hey, it's time belonging to customers, not shop, so who cares.

Teddy
2012-06-07, 10:00 AM
What annoys and amuses me the most is how he used (sometimes very) different tones of voice when he read out the bad and the good examples.

Also, to me, discover is when you without any aid find or learn something new, like a hidden cave when you just were walking around in the forest, or how another spicing makes your favourite food even more delicious after you accidently picked the wrong spice jar.

On the contrary, learning is when you get the skill or information from another source, be it a teacher, a book or a dubious website accessed through an advertisement banner with a slogan aimed toward all your secret fears and desires.

Although, if you do this, but use Word in your presentation rather than PowerPoint, I think you might score even worse than this. Also, talking too close to the mic and in a too high tone of voice. After the fourth word, I just started using the arrow buttons to quickly jump through the rest of the film.