PDA

View Full Version : [Items] The Elemental Rings of delicious Flavor

Cipher Stars
2012-06-09, 01:26 PM
The Elemental Rings of delicious Flavor

These rings look like simple metal bands made of colored metal to match their effect. Originally made by a crazed wizard who wanted a little flavor to spice up his love life, the wizard tapped into elemental magics in order to create the rings. Oh their desired effect is there, but with a little extra.

The Rings:
There are multiple rings, each has the effect of making the wearers skin taste like a certain kind of fruit, vegetable (Bleh), or even an elaborate dish. Dish Rings are more uncommon. Not only do the rings have flavor, but the elemental magic behind them gives them an elemental effect. Whenever the creature takes falling damage, or would take falling damage, they produce an elemental burst effect that fills the area around them.

Here are the most common of the rings, in order of rarity:
Ring Color | Flavor | Element
Red | Cherry | Fire
Blue | Blackberry | Cold
Yellow | Lemon | Electricity
Green | Sour Apple | Acid
White | Milk | Force
Clear | Vanilla | Sonic
Baby Blue | Blueberry | Wind*
Brown | Chocolate | Earth**
Dark Blue | Grape | Water***
Black | Licorice | Negative
Golden | Peach | Positive
Pink | Corned Beef | Gravity****
Gray | Salmon | Time+
Arsenic | Bacon | Space++
Purple | Egg | Vile+++
Orange | Sweetroll | Divine ++++
Lime | Watermelon | Light^
Emerald | Pickle | Darkness^^
Rainbow | Any | ^^^

*- Wind causes a gale to swirl about the wearer of the ring, the gale's slicing winds deal Slashing damage along with general gusts of wind that buffets them, but its mostly concentrated into the slashing wind-blades, so the gust part doesn't really do anything.
**- Earth causes the ground to quake, and causes stone and/or rock shrapnel to cause damage as Piercing damage. The quake itself shakes and all that, but it isn't really enough to knock anyone down.
***- Water causes water to form, conjured into being as if it splashes up around you in a great torrent. Water deals bludgeoning damage to those in the area, that and it gets everyone nice and wet.
****- Gravity causes the space around impact to distort sharply, folding in on itself as the gravitational force of your impact bends reality to a degree. The resulting gravity deals pressure damage to those in the area.
+ -Time causes a target to wither and age in order to do its damage in an exaggerated way. Creatures who do not age or suffer no penalties for aging do not take damage. Withering effect ends upon healing. The area effect causes all plantlife (but not creatures with the [Plant] subtype) to wither and die, and to grow again, and all ground, stone or walls to quickly form a thousand year loop in appearance, weathering, cracking, fading, before returning to normal.
++ -Space deals damage by distorting the plane of space, causing a stretch to occur, distorting space in an elongated fashion. The damage is bludgeoning, to get the closest representation of the damage caused by the pulling of the flesh.
+++ -Vile damage is Vile damage. Reroll if the ring is not a type V.
++++ - Divine damage. This damage cannot be resisted. Reroll if the ring is not a type III or higher.
^ - Light. a Searing radiance, a flash and shine of brilliant light. Deals fire damage, but creatures resistant to fire are not resistant to this effect unless they have Immunity. Fortitude save DC 15 +5/ring level or those in the burst are blinded for 1d12 rounds.
^^ - Darkness. A vortex of pure, shadowy, blackness. Creatures in the area take cold damage. Resistance does not apply to this cold damage, but immunity does. Creatures in the area make a Fortitude save DC 15 +5/ring level or those in the burst are Nauseated for 1d12 rounds.
^^^ - Prismatic. The Prismatic ring can be any flavor the wearer desires. It deals 1 fire damage, 1 cold damage, 1 electric damage, and 1 sonic damage for every die that would be rolled. Essentially, instead of rolling you deal 4 damage, 1 of those four types, for each die. Instead of 2d4/5ft on a V ring, you'd deal 8/5ft, 2 of each of the four types.

The effects depend on the ring. The type of ring can be identified by a small, very small, gem of similar color to the metal of the ring itself.
{table=head]type | Burst Radius | Damage
I | 5ft | 1d4/10ft
II | 10ft | 1d6/10ft
III | 15ft | 1d4/5ft
IV | 20ft | 1d6/5ft
V | 25ft | 2d4/5ft
[/table]

The damage listed is how much elemental damage the burst effect deals to those around you, with a reflex save DC = 15+ type. The feet listed after the damage is the falling distance. With a type V ring, if you were to fall 25ft you would deal 10d4 elemental damage to those around you, with a reflex save of 20 for half damage.
These rings do not make you immune to falling damage as either piercing or bludgeoning.
The ring's flavor and element effects only apply when worn.

When you find a ring, it automatically binds to the character who found it. Whenever a ring binds, two more are randomly created in random locations with no maximum distance from where the ring bound.
A bound ring cannot be discarded, given away, sold, or otherwise gotten rid of. If it must, the rings follow you around with a fly speed (Perfect) equal to your own speed. The rings can become invisible upon request. If separated by more then 15ft, the ring will vanish and reappear close by.
The rings will always try to place itself upon your finger, and will do so when least inconvenient, like when you are sleeping.

Because of this, the rings do not count against your for any feats or abilities such as the Vow of Poverty.

Pricing:
Delicious Flavor rings aren't particularly rare, especially the more common ones listed, but acquiring them without the rings binding to the one who found it.
But there is a way. An aspiring wizard who learned of the rings designed a way. Whenever a ring binds, it releases two more rings into the world. By casting a specific spell he crafted then released to the general public, one can track the two other rings and arrive at the location before the rings themselves appear. Thus, it is a common practice to place an empty jewelry box on the location so when it appears, it is captured.
The down side is you never know what ring it is until it is too late and it bonds.
The box costs 5,000gp
Color | d10
Red | 1
Blue | 2
Yellow | 3
Green | 4
White | 5
Clear | 6
Baby Blue | 7
Brown | 8
Dark Blue | 9
Black | 10
Golden | 11
Pink | 12
Arsenic | 13
Purple | 14
Orange | 15
Lime | 16
Emerald | 17
Rainbow | 18
Gray | 19
Reroll* | 20

*- Reroll twice. Your ring can be both, or one at a time, of the flavors and deals one of the two elements at any one time, or splits damage between the two elements.

The ring's power level matches the bonded character. 1-5: I 6-10: II 11-15: III 16-20: IV
21+: V
On a percent roll, there is a chance you can get a ring that is always one powerlevel ahead of where it should be.
On a roll of 81+, the ring is one level higher.
91+ 2 levels higher
98+ 3 levels higher
100: 4 levels higher.

There are cheaper rings available for sale. They are called Mimic Rings, to cater to those who wish to have an Delicious Ring but unable to acquire one.
Mimic Rings are like normal rings, but they are enchanted with the same flavors and have an illusion effect that looks like the normal elemental effect for the color the ring is Mimicking.

Mimic Rings cost 200gp each and can be bought in a variety of places, including common Magical Knack shops.

Cipher Stars
2012-06-09, 03:49 PM
No one likes the deliciousness >.>

I'm completely open to ideas for new color/flavor/element combinations.
Even dual element for more powerful rings with tweaked damage outputs, or split damage.
Maybe rarer multiflavor rings as well. Who knows.

The flavor is mostly just flavor, or fluff. But it could have use in various situations.

Elfstone
2012-06-09, 04:32 PM
Not sure if joking or seriously.

Either way this made me laugh. Little confused as to the falling damage effect, but this combined with a few of those battle leap classes would be deadly....

Maybe I rolled a one on cultural knowledge, but was was the inspiration for the rings?

Blaze12692
2012-06-09, 04:32 PM
I actually have a question, where it talks about the ring producing their burst it says "or would take falling damage". That means they still work with a monk using slow fall or similar effect, as with out them they would have taken damage?

Cipher Stars
2012-06-09, 04:36 PM
Not sure if joking or seriously.

Either way this made me laugh. Little confused as to the falling damage effect, but this combined with a few of those battle leap classes would be deadly....

Maybe I rolled a one on cultural knowledge, but was was the inspiration for the rings?

Um... I'm playing a game right now and well.. Flavor might be fun ^_~

I actually have a question, where it talks about the ring producing their burst it says "or would take falling damage". That means they still work with a monk using slow fall or similar effect, as with out them they would have taken damage?

Yes. Monk's Slow Fall works with this. Most monks are underwhelming in any case, this could up their game a fair bit.

I think I'm going to add a Mimic ring.
Its a cheap knock off, kinda like 99cent mood rings. It provides flavor, but the elemental effect is purely an illusion.

Grimsage Matt
2012-06-09, 08:43 PM
must create a monster that eats these.... say hello to the Giant Pug.

Morph Bark
2012-06-10, 04:13 PM
The Water element is lacking here. Perhaps you could have Water deal slashing, Wind piercing and Earth bludgeoning?

Cipher Stars
2012-06-10, 05:04 PM
The Water element is lacking here. Perhaps you could have Water deal slashing, Wind piercing and Earth bludgeoning?

Wind? Piercing? It seems silly. Seems even sillier for water to do piercing.

I was going to add Water, but that would make it a d11... So I'd have had to come up with another in addition. Which I was to lazy to do.

I'll do it now though.

Morph Bark
2012-06-10, 06:47 PM
Yeah, Wind would be more likely to be slashing to me as well, though wind is usually more superficial cuts, which could also be made with a piercing weapon. Water would actually also make more sense as bludgeoning, but then you already got Earth for that... unless you make Earth do piercing, with all those rock shards flying everywhere and all?

For a twelfth one, the only damage types I can think of being left are divine (like from Flame Strike, which cannot be resisted) and vile (which, comparatively to other damage types, is OP as FUCHSIA).

Cipher Stars
2012-06-10, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Wind would be more likely to be slashing to me as well, though wind is usually more superficial cuts, which could also be made with a piercing weapon. Water would actually also make more sense as bludgeoning, but then you already got Earth for that... unless you make Earth do piercing, with all those rock shards flying everywhere and all?

For a twelfth one, the only damage types I can think of being left are divine (like from Flame Strike, which cannot be resisted) and vile (which, comparatively to other damage types, is OP as FUCHSIA).

Yea. I had the edit page up, completely forgot about it. I did just that and made Earth just piercing, water bludgeoning, Air slashing.

I didn't post it for so long because I was waiting on a 12th ring.
But I remembered Pressure damage from the Environmental effects. So I used that for a Gravity element.

I'm thinking of expanding the rings continually. Adding dual color/dual elemental rings as well as fitting more:

Time - deals damage by aging/withering.
Space - deals damage by stretching them in space, quite painful, similar to gravity except gravity pushed down, Space elongates.
Vile - yep
Divine - yep
Light - searing damage kind of like fire, but not resisted by fire and may blind those around the impact- it'd have the same effect as sunlight on those weak against it.
Darkness - drawing all light from the area, including the metaphorical kind causing some form of mental damage.

Hey that's seven. One more and I can do a d20....

Prismatic Ring- Flavor can change at the will of the owner, deals 1 fire, 1 cold, 1 electric, and 1 sonic (would have a better visual then acid) whenever a die would be rolled for the damage.