PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me eBooks!

Flickerdart
2012-06-09, 05:58 PM
I have recently found myself in possession of two things - a Kindle and a 90 minute one-way commute. While this combination does little to help my sleep time, it does leave me with a lot of time for reading.

I'm mostly a fan of sci-fi and fantasy. In addition to the obligatory Pratchetts, Gaimans, Martins, Azimovs, Clarkes, Heinleins and Adamses, which I have already read, I enjoyed the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, the Locke Lamora books, Villains by Necessity, the Kingkiller Chronicles, Robert Asprin's M.Y.T.H. books (but not his dragon books) and so on. On the sci-fi side, Turtledove and Lem I've found quite enjoyable. Atwood seems to be largely hit or miss (Oryx and Crake, for instance, I found great, but The Blind Assassin was dreadful). Didn't like Dune.

I don't mind other genres, but they either have to be really good or really funny or both. The only mandatory requirement is that the book should be available either from Amazon or as an e-reader file from somewhere. I'm fine with plain-text stuff too, as I have the software to convert, but if it's only available in dead tree, then I have no use for it.

Hopefully that's enough information to let you know what I'm looking for!

Mercenary Pen
2012-06-09, 06:30 PM
For science fiction, may I recommend the Baen free library (http://www.baen.com/library/) as a starting point.

I know you didn't mention cost as a determining factor, but when a publisher makes their stuff available for free, that has to be a bonus.

Das Platyvark
2012-06-09, 06:35 PM
Embassytown. China Miéville. My single favorite sf book.

Sanguine
2012-06-09, 06:50 PM
Warbreaker (http://brandonsanderson.com/portal/Warbreaker), By Brandon Sanderson. Excellent fantasy novel and free eBook.

Grif
2012-06-09, 08:22 PM
For science fiction, may I recommend the Baen free library (http://www.baen.com/library/) as a starting point.

I know you didn't mention cost as a determining factor, but when a publisher makes their stuff available for free, that has to be a bonus.

Aye. I second this. You can start with some David Weber's stuff. I think the first Honor Harrington book is free to read now. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2012-06-11, 06:10 AM
Aye. I second this. You can start with some David Weber's stuff. I think the first Honor Harrington book is free to read now. :smalltongue:

Certainly most of the series is, I'm not 100% sure on the most recent couple of books...

Flickerdart
2012-06-11, 05:51 PM
I ended up grabbing a bunch of stuff from Baen, thanks for the suggestion! I also ran into Project Gutenberg, and have been reading Three Men In A Boat, which is uproariously funny.

Mercenary Pen
2012-06-11, 05:54 PM
I ended up grabbing a bunch of stuff from Baen, thanks for the suggestion! I also ran into Project Gutenberg, and have been reading Three Men In A Boat, which is uproariously funny.

I should have remembered project Gutenberg *facepalm* Hopefully the two of those should keep you going for a while...

TheTick
2012-06-12, 10:49 AM
Leviathan Wakes, by James S. A. Corey. The second book in the series is due out soon, Caliban's War. The first book is Space Opera mixed with a noir detective story, with a little Lovecraftian horror mixed in.

Serpentine
2012-06-13, 08:41 AM
I ended up grabbing a bunch of stuff from Baen, thanks for the suggestion! I also ran into Project Gutenberg, and have been reading Three Men In A Boat, which is uproariously funny.Awww, I was gonna recommend Project Gutenberg :smallfrown:
At least I can point you at their "SF" collection (http://gutenberg.net.au/sfproject.html) - "Science Fiction, Speculative Fiction, Superhero Fiction, Swords Fiction, Sorcery Fiction, Spies Fiction, Supernatural Fiction and Scary Fiction."

Telonius
2012-06-13, 12:52 PM
Well ... ::looks down at sig::

CapnRedBeard
2012-06-14, 08:22 PM
a kindle would be nice.

I forced myself to read "The Jungle" on my iphone 4 just to say that i read a whole book on it. It was torture but I did it.

The Nth Doctor
2012-06-15, 04:06 PM
An Ill Fate Marshalling by Glenn Cook is a personal favorite of mine. A bit hard to get into, but worth it. Last I checked, they weren't on the Kindle, but his Black Company books are good to.