PDA

View Full Version : one for the computer wizards: suddenly task manager tells me all programs run *32

dehro
2012-06-13, 04:31 AM
my 'puter runs Windows 7 home premium. it should be a 64 bit.. scrap that .. it IS 64 bit.
for reasons that I don't remember, this weekend I opened my task manager and noticed that most open processes that weren't intrinsecally part of windows 7's operating stuff were listed with a *32 suffix I have never before encountered.
looking it up, the web tells me it simply means that the softwares (google chrome, microsoft outlook and a number of other stuff, including stuff that is part of windows itself (sidebar and so on) are running as if they were on a *32 OS.
why on earth is that so? what has prompted this change? is it affecting my 'puter in terms of usability, safety, effectiveness? is there a downside to this?
on a sidenote.. this page I am writing in is the only google chrome window I have open..no other pages or windows.. even so, in the open processes, google chrome is listed 10 (!!) times. I always had one or two extra listings of chrome, on account of a few installed apps, I figured..but this seems a bit much?

pls.. noobfriendly answers only.. I have some slightly more than basic expertise in computerstuff..but it's limited and homebrewed..and the tech language is something I never mastered

pre-posting edit: I also found this here (http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/104021-32-some-programs-task-manager.html) webpage where someone with the exact same issue gets reassured..
the thing is, they tell him "you just never noticed the before"..but that's bull.. I know for a fact that the suffix wasn't there before last week.. so my questions stand.. is this going to be a problem?

also, the google thing..I'm kinda baffled by it..though maybe having downloaded google drive may have something to do with that?

Wandiya
2012-06-13, 05:51 AM
No idea on the OS business but if you have multiple tabs open in google chrome, each tab had its own process.

Hope that helped. :smallbiggrin:

Brother Oni
2012-06-13, 06:17 AM
A 64bit OS will run 32bit programs just fine with few, if any, compatibility issues. It's just the program isn't optimised to take advantage of running on a 64bit OS.
The reverse is not true however - a 64bit program will not run on a 32bit OS, thus a large number of programs being released today are still optimised for 32bit OSs for maximum compatibility.

As for the change, the chances are, you've just never noticed it, or a recent update has meant either windows distinguishes between 32bit and 64bit versions of the program, or that there are two versions now available.

Given the option of a 32/64 version of a program and assuming you have the computer resource spare, you should get a performance boost in running the 64bit version over the 32bit version.

Rawhide
2012-06-13, 06:39 AM
This is normal. Many programs are still 32 bit and will thus, run in 32 bit mode on the 64 bit OS.

64 bit applications can't use 32 bit libraries and 32 bit applications can't use 64 bit libraries, but both will run just fine on a 64 bit OS. As already mentioned, 32 bit applications can run just find on a 64 bit OS, but a 64 bit application won't run on a 32 bit OS.

You may notice performance improvements for 64 bit applications on a 64 bit OS with a 64 bit processor (actually, you almost certainly will), but some of the 64 bit versions of the programs are not well optimized or tested and come with warnings of "only use if you absolutely require a 64 bit version".

dehro
2012-06-13, 07:52 AM
thanks for the reassurances, everybody.. so I take it that sometimes when I was away for work and the computer was running, an update has changed things a little bit, meaning that now the task manager points out which software runs 32 bit and which one doesn't.. I'm positive this didn't happen before
oh well.. no biggie..

that said, does google chrome exist in 64 bit terms?

if you have multiple tabs open in google chrome, each tab had its own process.

Hope that helped. :smallbiggrin:
I know, and I didn't.. which is why I'm a bit puzzled.. one single tab.. nothing fancy (unless the textbox on the GITP forum counts as fancy).. yet 9 to 10 open processes..

edit: found the reason (apparently pressing shift+esc tells you everything).. AVG antivirus update came with 3 constantly running plug-ins

factotum
2012-06-13, 08:26 AM
an update has changed things a little bit, meaning that now the task manager points out which software runs 32 bit and which one doesn't.. I'm positive this didn't happen before

I'm sure it did...the Task Manager shows which processes are 32-bit on any 64-bit edition of Windows (example: my Windows Vista 64 install has done this since I got it a couple of years ago). Chances are you've just never noticed it before because you didn't realise there was any significance to the *32 thing.