PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Designing an Elder Evil?

GreenSerpent
2012-06-15, 08:15 AM
Hello,

For a long-term campaign I'm planning I intend to have the eventual opponent that the party faces be an Elder Evil (to cut a long story short, a powerful Sorceror who was trapped in the Far Realms and warped into a being of consumption that devoured whatever it could find to get stronger and stronger, including creating the Thoon Mind-Flayers).

Is there any sort of guide on the construction of an Elder Evil that I can use somewhere?

Thanks!

Madara
2012-06-15, 09:07 AM
No, I don't believe so. The point of Elder Evils is that they're too strong to be statted up. But that's not true, you could certainly make one. What level to you intend your players to fight it at?

Griffith!
2012-06-15, 09:19 AM
No, I don't believe so. The point of Elder Evils is that they're too strong to be statted up. But that's not true, you could certainly make one. What level to you intend your players to fight it at?

Doesn't Elder Evils have stat-blocks for the eponymous elder evils? I'm just saying if they've statted them up then clearly they can be statted up.

As for making one? I don't know. I usually just make it up as I go.

GreenSerpent
2012-06-15, 09:25 AM
I was intending sort of a level 23 challenge, possibly themed slightly around Binding - the creature is meant to change the world from the Age of Binding (Binding is predominant) to the Age of Souls (Incarnum is predominant).

Arcane magic is heavily distrusted due to the *ahem* incident *ahem* that ended the Age of Magi.

Draken
2012-06-15, 09:30 AM
I was intending sort of a level 23 challenge, possibly themed slightly around Binding - the creature is meant to change the world from the Age of Binding (Binding is predominant) to the Age of Souls (Incarnum is predominant).

Arcane magic is heavily distrusted due to the *ahem* incident *ahem* that ended the Age of Magi.

In general, Elder Evils are slightly under-CR'd, have higher hit point totals than similarly CR'd creatures and then you just tack on the Malefic Powers.

Not much different from any other big, unique monster. You just need to think of their unique special abilities and follow a theme.

Victernal
2012-06-15, 09:32 AM
This would be a excerpt from "Elder Evils" about creating one. Hopefully this helps. The book "Elder Evils" has the other bits of information about "Signs" and "Auras" etc.

ELDER EVIL TRAITS
The elder evils presented in this book have many of the traits
of abominations, as presented in Epic Level Handbook. Unlike
abominations, however, elder evils are not the offspring of deities.
They are virtually immortal—although they can be weakened
or returned to eons-long slumber.

Elder evils speak Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, and often an
elemental language associated with their imprisonment. They
have maximum hit points per Hit Die. In addition, they have the
following characteristics.
Immunities (Ex): Elder evils have immunity to polymorphing,
petrification, and any other spell or ability that alters their
form. They are not subject to energy drain, ability drain, ability
damage, or death from massive damage. They are immune to
mind-affecting spells and abilities. Most elder evils have immunity
to a specific energy type, depending on their nature.
Resistances (Ex): Elder evils have resistance to cold 20 and
fire 20. They have high damage reduction, sometimes overcome
only by epic weapons, and very high spell resistance.
Summon Creature (Sp): Many elder evils are able to summon
associated creatures appropriate to their origins or specific
background. See the specific entries for additional details.
Special Qualities: All elder evils can use true seeing as the
spell at will (as a supernatural ability). They resist detection as
if under the effect of a nondetection spell. They have blindsight
out to 500 feet. They can communicate telepathically with any
creature within 1,000 feet that has a language.
Feats: Elder evils can select epic feats.

Callos_DeTerran
2012-06-15, 09:38 AM
Doesn't Elder Evils have stat-blocks for the eponymous elder evils? I'm just saying if they've statted them up then clearly they can be statted up.

As for making one? I don't know. I usually just make it up as I go.

Elder Evils has Malefic feats and properties (good for the Elder Evil itself AND it's minions) and the Elder Evil properties. In addition, it has example signs that affect the campaign setting. In other words, it has some unique feats, a list of example special abilities that only Elder Evils get access too, and Malefic Properties...the rest is entirely a creature that you build and tack these things on to.