PDA

View Full Version : The Bachants (Race)

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 07:03 PM
The Bachants
http://img.ndoorsgames.com/atlantica/pds/fan/view_character02.jpg

Personality: A Bachant is enigmatic, elusive, and very intuitive. They have keen eyes and are very blunt about observations they make. They are complex creatures, they do not often understand their actions entirely themselves. They themselves can never get a grasp of their own feelings and are often confused by basic emotions.
Bachants are nearly always calm, passive, and relaxed. They rarely ever appear rushed or in a hurry, yet somehow they always know what time it is.
Bachants can appear mature beyond their appearances, but turn around and do something very immature or say something naive and ignorant.
They don't often trouble themselves with what others think about themselves, but every Bachant thinks about others. They often judge actions in a large picture. What would happen if I were to kill the evil duke? Well then the undead his presence kept in check would go rampant, the black dragon and that balor he bargained with would come back and... you know what, never mind, lets skip this adventure for now.
Bachants are vengeful when provoked, and often do not stop until vengeance has been delivered to those who provoked her. Things that provoke a Bachant depend on the individual, but it usually has something to do with being a great annoyance or extremely chaotic-evil acts, All bachants are instantly enraged at any who steal her chronostaff... Such individuals never live long.
There are a different variety of Bachants who have lived for over many eons born during the time of a great war that stretched across time in many different planes, several of those planes no longer in existence due to the war. Those Bachants who participated in that war became simultaneously cursed and blessed. They have twice the statistical increases of a regular bachant, twice the speed, but turn to stone whenever observed even by another bachant similarly cursed.
These bachants are always lawful evil, and desire nothing more then to feed on sentient creatures, feeding off their age in reverse to a normal Bachant, gaining by reversing their age until they are erased from existence- a normal bachant is unable to reduce their age to such a degree.
These Bachants are wholly evil, and often inspire dreadful tales. These are almost always over level 40, and a very rare encounter- or at least, very few who have ever met one have ever lived to tell about it. Others that do are dismissed as crazy bastards, but the rumors still get out there and exist in Bachant history texts.

Physical Description: Bachants appear to be tall, lithe, humanoids. They have ample proportions most of the time and often have slightly longer legs, arms, and torsos then most. They have an odd sense of style and never wish to appear scraggly or dirty, despite not caring what others think of them. Its a personal thing for each Bachant to want to look well dressed.
Bachant's are almost always seen with their Chronostaff. Which looks different from others and is always wholly unique, perhaps more unique even then a fingerprint save for one trait; a marking on the staff that is shared with only one other Chronostaff in the entire collection of existences.
Bachants are outside of space and time, and there is never another Bachant in any dimension or alternate reality- But the one Bachant can visit any such plane and always retains their racial given traits and powers even if magic does not exist there.
Females are usually taller then males, standing 6'1" to 7'2" and the males stand 5'1" to 6'2".

Relations: Bachants are almost always solo, but few Fate Bound bachants who find each other are often paired for life.
As such, Bachants do not have any standing racial connections as a whole except for one- Their own kind. As told in personality, there is a more ancient species of Bachants who lived long before. They are cursed, and evil creatures who detest their new generations and will actively hunt one. In turn, Bachants hunt the Cursed in self preservation, and to eliminate their evil from the multiverse.

Alignment: Bachants are almost always Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, Neutral Good, or Lawful Good. Cursed Bachants are almost always Lawful Evil, or sometimes Chaotic Evil.

Lands: Bachants do not own lands of their own, surviving historical texts say that their lands were in one of the many erased planes of existence involved in the great war that created the Cursed Bachants.

Religion: Bachants do not have a religion, but are often themselves worshiped as minor deities by lesser cultures.

Language: Bachants speak Common, and are born with the ability to speak their own ancient language Baccheshine. Though they rarely get to use it outside of issuing command phrases to their Chronostaff.

Adventures: Bachants are wanderers. They are all scattered throughout all known planes of existence and adventure, travel, to get a grasp or a sense of belonging. They often see many romantic relationships in their infinite (Ageless) lifetimes/lifespan. Eventually this tends to fill them with hopelessness or depression. Even if they die and are reborn, they often find themselves dreaming about people they bonded with, feeling the same love in the dreams that they once felt for them.
The emotional turmoil can corrupt a Bachant, twisting their minds until someday they go crazy and become Cursed just like the Bachants from the great war.
Not all share this fate however, some can suppress the memories or find a way to erase them. Some find a way to find the soul of their lost lover(s) and remain with them, some manage to meet their Fate Bonded soul mate and share long lives together- Some lose their Fate Bond and spend the next few eons searching for them again.
A lucky few sometimes hook up with an immortal deity and never have to worry about that stuff again.
But Bachants in general are always searching, for something.

Racial Traits:
+10 Strength, +8 Charisma, +6 Dexterity
Outsider [Native] [Extraplanar][Time (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types/new-creature-subtypes#TOC-Time)]
Special: The Bachant can appear Tiny (Infant) Small (Adolecent) Young Adult-Adult (Medium) or Ancient (Large). See Time's Body.
Bachants have a base land speed of 50ft
Quantum Efficiency (Ex): Built around the idea that when something is unobserved it does not truly exist but is a cloud of probability, whenever there is no creature looking at the Bachant, she can move 50ft as a 5ft step and her base speed becomes 500ft. This includes when you have total cover, total concealment, or are invisible.
Time's Body (Ex): The Bachant can act normally under Time Stop or similar effects used by others. The Bachant never ages, and can always appear whatever age she wishes, changing size appropriately up to Large. Physical stats change appropriately, but mental statistics are not altered by making yourself older. Normal benefits and penalties for altered sizes apply. As such, you are not effected by spells that attempt to alter age. This is your true form, True Seeing does not reveal any differently.
When a Bachant is killed, it is reborn in a new plane of existence with no conscious memory of its past lives. Bachants always have the same Chronostaff in its lifetimes. Bachants are always considered Native outsiders. Spells made to "Banish" a Bachant automatically fail, any spell that tries to push a Bachant back to its "own world" or "own plane" Automatically fail, because it has no home plane to go to.
Time's Mind (Ex): The Bachant is immune to Mind-Effecting effects, Fear, and she has Telepathy at range 100ft unless she knows the target very well (Traveling together for 2 weeks or more, been in at least one life threatening situation with each other, or shared a bed a few times) in which case there is no range except that they share the same plane.
They always know what time it is, and are considered a psionic race with +5pp and a single bonus power known chosen from the Psion/Wilder 1st level list.
Time's Touch (Su): You can deliver a touch attack to reduce a targets age by up to a maximum or minimum of 10d12 years, +1d12 years every 2 character levels. They take the physical benefits and penalties appropriate for the new age category. If this would age them over their races natural life span, they die as if they died of old age. Creatures can resist this with a Fortitude save 10+1/2HD/character levels+Charisma modifier. Again, its up to a maximum or minimum. You can selectively age in between that time. The new age is True, and true seeing reveals no differently. You can use this a number of times per day equal to your HD/character level.
For every year aged, you gain 2HP. Excess turns into temporary HP for 24 hours. For every year you reduce age, you take twice as much nonlethal damage.
Foresight (Su) See a few seconds into the future. This ability prevents a creature from being surprised, caught flat-footed, or flanked. It also grants the creature an insight bonus to AC equal to its Charisma bonus. This ability can be negated, but can be restarted as a free action on the creature’s next turn.
Chronostaff: All Bachants are blessed with a Chronostaff. A unique item bonded to the Bachant. The Chronostaff can be wielded in combat as if it was a quarterstaff, it can deliver a Time's Touch that is half as effective whenever it deals damage as such. It gives the Bachant access to the Time domain as a cleric of her level, the spells the domain gives are spontaneous and can be used each 3 times per day + charisma modifier. As long as the Bachant is in possession of her Chronostaff, she effectively has an at-will Dispel Magic she can use which functions by reverting a singular effect or spell back in time until it never existed. At 15th character level/HD, the Bachant instead uses this as Greater Dispel Magic and she regains HP equal to 5x the caster level whenever she reverts an effect.
The Chronostaff is bonded the the Bachant and exists outside of time and space, she can cause it to disappear out of existence at will so long as she is in contact with it, and can make it reappear as a free action. The Chronostaff can be considered Invisible at any time, suppressible or activated as a free action.
Each Chronostaff is unique to the Bachant who owns it and no two are ever alike in all but one feature: a mark somewhere near the base of the staff. In which case there is always a pair, and whoever has the matching symbol is fate bound to be the other's soul mate, disregarding gender.
A Chronostaff shares the same HP as its owner and has a hardness equal to 4x the owners HD or character level. At 15th level, a Chronostaff cannot be destroyed- but can still be stolen. A broken Chronostaff causes the Bachant to go into a coma, under the effects of Timeless Body, until it repairs itself in 1d12+3 weeks and the Bachant wakes up.
A Bachant who's staff has been stolen always knows its general direction, and if its on or off her current plane of existence.
Special: Once every 20d20 years, the Chronostaff flairs to life signifying that it has connected to its ancient source and can now be used to cast Plane Shift, which she can use to travel to any plane she has been to or to travel to a new, random, plane.
Skill Bonuses: +10 Disguise, +10 Knowledge (Plantes), +5 Perception, +5 Move Silently
Automatic Languages: Common, Baccheshine
Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Stylist, Wilder, Psychic Warrior
Level Adjustment: +7

Cursed Bachants are as follows:
+20 Str, +16 Cha, +12 Dex
Cursed Bachants have 10 racial HD, d10. And have a BaB equal to their level, and good Reflex and Will, poor Fort, and 6 skill points per level. These are all base, and the Cursed Bachant uses class features when available.
Quantum Efficiency: Built around the idea that when something is unobserved it does not truly exist but is a cloud of probability, whenever there is no creature looking at the Bachant, she can move 100ft as a 5ft step and her base speed becomes 1,000ft. This includes when you have total cover, total concealment, or are invisible. In addition, they can deliver four attacks per round.
Whenever a Cursed Bachant is being observed, they become Petrified- turned to stone. They are unable to move. When Petrified, they are under similar effects of Timeless Body. They cannot be damaged, they cannot receive even beneficial effects, they cannot be moved. They are still aware of their surroundings and see normally from their stony eyes. Other Cursed Bachants count, thus when two Cursed Bachants see each other they are eternally petrified until someone breaks them apart. Note it is an extremely unlikely event in which two Bachants meet, let alone two Cursed Bachants.
Time's Touch: You can deliver a touch attack to reduce a targets age by up to a maximum or minimum of 20d12 years, +5d12 years every 2 character levels. They take the physical benefits and penalties appropriate for the new age category. If this would age them over their races natural life span, they die as if they died of old age. Creatures can resist this with a Fortitude save 10+1/2HD/character levels+Charisma modifier. Again, its up to a maximum or minimum. You can selectively age in between that time. The new age is True, and true seeing reveals no differently. You can use this a number of times per day equal to your HD/character level.
The Cursed Bachant almost always reverses aging. If a creature's age would hit 0 or less, they are erased from existence and the Cursed Bachant gains all the XP the victim had. Anyone who knew the victim makes a Will save or forgets they ever knew the victim. Any image of the victim is modified to suite the creatures new lack of ever having existed, and somewhere in the universe a new Cursed Bachant is born, there is a 1% chance that it will instead be a normal Bachant.
Level Adjustment: +15?

Time
This subtype is applied to creatures (usually outsiders) with some connection to the Plane of time. They exist outside the normal flow of time and often age differently, sometimes not aging at all and other times actually aging backwards. They are immune to spells and effects that affect time. They also possess the following trait:
Foresight (Su) See a few seconds into the future. This ability prevents a creature from being surprised, caught flat-footed, or flanked. It also grants the creature an insight bonus to AC equal to its Wisdom/Charisma/or Intelligence bonus. this ability can be negated, but can be restarted as a free action on the creature’s next turn.

madock345
2012-06-15, 07:17 PM
Is this supposed to be a player race? that's the way it's written but even though It looks very intresting, and there are some awsome Ideas here, it's so powerful, the LA is probably higher than six... unless you are running a Very high power campaine I would rework it as an NPC.

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 07:30 PM
Is this supposed to be a player race? that's the way it's written but even though It looks very intresting, and there are some awsome Ideas here, it's so powerful, the LA is probably higher than six... unless you are running a Very high power campaine I would rework it as an NPC.

I don't really see how its more then +6-+8 at most.
I mean, sure its good. but not worth more then nearly half their pre-epic levels.

Could you state your reasoning?

Welknair
2012-06-15, 07:40 PM
1. There isn't a [Time] Subtype, to my knowledge. You'll need to flesh it out as a new Subtype if you want to give it to a race.

2. Quantum Efficiency: Can you say "Weeping Angel"? :smallamused:

3. As per Mad, this may be better phrased for NPCs. Players will be loath to take anything above LA 2 or 3 unless the game setup was specifically something like "Level 6, with 6 levels of LA".

4. Generally boss flavor.

madock345
2012-06-15, 07:43 PM
I don't really see how its more then +6-+8 at most.
I mean, sure its good. but not worth more then nearly half their pre-epic levels.

Could you state your reasoning?

Eight is probably about right, I just don't know who would take a race with an LA that high (except a fighter or something, but nobody likes them). although I do very much like the race, one of the Older Bachants could be very intresting as a BBEG, especialy if they are indestructable in thier stone form, so you have to kill them without looking at them.

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 07:46 PM
1. There isn't a [Time] Subtype, to my knowledge. You'll need to flesh it out as a new Subtype if you want to give it to a race.

2. Quantum Efficiency: Can you say "Weeping Angel"? :smallamused:

3. As per Mad, this may be better phrased for NPCs. Players will be loath to take anything above LA 2 or 3 unless the game setup was specifically something like "Level 6, with 6 levels of LA".

4. Generally boss flavor.

Time is a subtype in Pathfinder. You'll notice I used "Perception" instead of Spot.

For use in 3.5 It'd be fairly easy to just break Perception apart and just pretend Time is 3.5. I'll link to it, or just post it here with slight tweaks if needed for 3.5 play.

I was halfway through making that ability before I remembered the weeping angels XD, I then went back and added "Cursed" Bachants- Which ARE bosses for Epic games.

Welknair
2012-06-15, 07:50 PM
How much of your stuff is PF? My understanding is that material on these boards defaults to 3.5. For ease of PEACHing, may I suggest putting a [PF], [3.P], [Pathfinder] or similar tag in the title? Useful stuff for PEACHers to know.

madock345
2012-06-15, 07:50 PM
Ooh Pathfinder, I was looking at it for 3.5 which is probably why I had the LA figured higher, I don't know much about pathfinder, but I heard it's higher powered.

Welknair
2012-06-15, 07:51 PM
Ooh Pathfinder, I was looking at it for 3.5 which is probably why I had the LA figured higher, I don't know much about pathfinder, but I heard it's higher powered.

I have cursory knowledge of it. It's a smidge higher powered, but not too greatly so. I'd still place this in the range Cipher gave. Probably 7ish.

Cipher Stars
2012-06-15, 08:13 PM
How much of your stuff is PF? My understanding is that material on these boards defaults to 3.5. For ease of PEACHing, may I suggest putting a [PF], [3.P], [Pathfinder] or similar tag in the title? Useful stuff for PEACHers to know.
Well, 3.5 doesn't have Perception >.> Other then that, The only thing different is slightly Skills given, max skill ranks, instead of 3 more ranks, your GIVEN 3 more ranks for Class skills.

I never feel the need to label.

It has better, more diverse, classes. And classes within Classes. But other then that I'd say its quite the opposite...
Pathfinder also has a fairly pathological fear of giving away At-Will abilities, I've noticed, outside of 0 level spells.

Wavelab
2012-06-16, 03:49 AM
Time's Mind (Ex): The Bachant is immune to Mind-Effecting effects, Fear, and she has Telepathy at range 100ft unless she knows the target very well (Traveling together for 2 weeks or more, been in at least one life threatening situation with each other, or shared a bed a few times)

What happens if they know the target very well? Is their immunity bypassed?

Cipher Stars
2012-06-16, 10:24 AM
What happens if they know the target very well? Is their immunity bypassed?

Would appear I forgot to finish that. I corrected.