PDA

View Full Version : Super Friends: Or the best superhero parody EVER

Scowling Dragon
2012-06-18, 02:01 PM
Seriously? You can make something like THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUx57i63e0) without either being incredibly high or a genius?

I just watch this and sometimes wonder if this is a genuine parody or not? It parodies aspects of superheroes so well!

And the comedic timing is just! Well...

Melayl
2012-06-18, 07:11 PM
Not a parody, but one of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid. Admittedly cheesy as all hell, looking back on it...

Selrahc
2012-06-19, 04:31 AM
Seriously? You can make something like THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUx57i63e0) without either being incredibly high or a genius?

I just watch this and sometimes wonder if this is a genuine parody or not? It parodies aspects of superheroes so well!

And the comedic timing is just! Well...

Comics back in that time were just goofy as hell. Although I think it's fair to say, that was part of their appeal. Not as a parody, just as someone intentionally trying to be amusingly over the top.

How did it get like that? Well the Golden Age of Comics was the golden age of *comics* not just superheroes. Newspaper comic strips and other straight comedy; Romance and soap opera; sci-fi/pulp and other things were all immensely popular. So you got the Superhero comics stealing concepts and ideas from those sources to try and muscle in on the market, leading to an... eclectic.. mix.

Scowling Dragon
2012-06-19, 04:54 AM
Can you imagine what the writers where thinking?

"And then she transforms into an octopus and he transforms into an ice unicycle"

Ravens_cry
2012-06-19, 07:41 AM
Can you imagine what the writers where thinking?

"And then she transforms into an octopus and he transforms into an ice unicycle"
My first thought, OK, my second, my first thought was "The Silver Age was its own parody," my second thought was 'OK, octopuses are wet, and he's made of ice . . . ouch'.
After that I just sat and huddled in a corner while thinking of the logistics of an ice unicycle.

Scowling Dragon
2012-06-19, 07:49 AM
The thing that just really makes me laugh is the timing.

Its like the Connan remake. Whilst the subject matter may not always be funny the way they do it you end up laughing because its times like a joke.

TheEmerged
2012-06-19, 07:53 AM
You should watch the special features on the DvD's sometime, where they talk about all the rules the network had them operating under. Watch carefully how the fight scenes work, for example -- you almost never see a simple punch being thrown. I think it was the next-to-last season where you actually get to see Apache Chief getting to throw a punch in the introduction and it's almost shocking :smallredface:

That's why you always saw people being wrapped up / tied up. I forget which season it was, but one of them had a sequence where you saw the good guys knocking a tree down so it landed in front of the robots, which then ran into it. Why? The network didn't even want to show the tree hitting the robots, the robots had to run into it.

I have long joked, of course, that if superheroes were real Aquaman could sue the producers of that cartoon for defemation.

I do want to address one complaint, though. Yes, the "minority specials" were hokey. We knew it back then as kids. In fairness, they weren't any more hokey than the way the mainline characters were being treated. And at least there *were* minority characters interacting with non-minority characters, even if it was a little obvious sometimes that they were almost always the ones rescuing the mainline characters.

Want a fun writing challenge? Take one of those "minority specials" and write a serious treatment of them. Give them the origin, backstory, side characters, and personality the cartoon couldn't. This was essentially done for Apache Chief in the comics, for example.

Lateral
2012-06-19, 09:15 AM

It's not even an ice bicycle. It had to be an ice unicycle.

...What.