PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to make a backpack look less dorky?

WarKitty
2012-06-20, 02:09 PM
Now I have nothing against backpacks per se. Some styles can pull them off very well. But with my style...well, I have a very old-fashioned, skirts-and-lace type style. And no matter what I do, the backpack just looks out of place. Plus I have a love of shawls and scarves and cloaks, which interfere with a backpack. At the same time, due to my job, I find myself needing to carry a laptop and several books on a regular basis. I do have a messenger bag but I find it wears on my shoulder after a while, particularly if I have to walk a ways (which is frequent).

Is there any way to either make a backpack look less silly with classic outfits, or to find some other way to carry heavy things that doesn't kill my body?

Spiryt
2012-06-20, 02:19 PM
You obviously should acquire the only, legendary and trooly Kvlt backpack like these:

http://www.metalhead.pl/data/gfx/pictures/large/9/2/25129_1.jpg

:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

WarKitty
2012-06-20, 02:27 PM
You obviously should acquire the only, legendary and trooly Kvlt backpack like these:

http://www.metalhead.pl/data/gfx/pictures/large/9/2/25129_1.jpg

:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

...that's even uglier than where I started...

Mikhailangelo
2012-06-20, 02:48 PM
Try a very large retro handbag? If such a commodity exists. I'm not particularly up to date on women's fashion I'm afraid... Or outdated on it... Or in possession of any knowledge whatsoever regarding it...

Tyndmyr
2012-06-20, 02:50 PM
or to find some other way to carry heavy things that doesn't kill my body?

Minions. There is no problem that they can't solve.

snoopy13a
2012-06-20, 02:53 PM
Minions. There is no problem that they can't solve.

Unfortunately, having minions is pretty dorky. See, e.g., Dr. Evil.
Also dorky is providing a citation for one's message board post. :smalltongue:

Mikhailangelo
2012-06-20, 03:07 PM

If you call them Peons it becomes more geeky than dorky!

valadil
2012-06-20, 03:38 PM
In my head, practical and old fashioned rarely mix. Instead of a backpack I could see a small suitcase working for the look you're describing, but that's not really the sort of thing you want to carry every day.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-20, 03:41 PM
Get one of them backpacks with only one strap that goes across your chest diagonally.

Telonius
2012-06-20, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking a Mary Poppins-esque carpetbag, maybe?

Mikhailangelo
2012-06-20, 03:48 PM

That'd work. Especially if you could also get one which is dimensionally transcendent!

Cobra_Ikari
2012-06-20, 05:10 PM
Get it in black. Black makes EVERYTHING look good. =3

thubby
2012-06-20, 10:13 PM
could we get a picture of, if not yourself, something you'd wear?

Feytalist
2012-06-21, 01:34 AM
Someone posted a picture of some sort of dragon-shaped backpack a short while ago.

Because dragon backpacks go with everything.

Brother Oni
2012-06-21, 01:50 AM
Is there any way to either make a backpack look less silly with classic outfits, or to find some other way to carry heavy things that doesn't kill my body?

Carry them with a sword or other suitably classic weapon?

Call them Personal Assistants and solve the problem of looking geeky or dorky.

Of course, it makes you look like a massive jerkwad, but the original goal was completed. :smalltongue:

Mikhailangelo
2012-06-21, 02:36 AM
Naaah, Personal Assistant sounds like the worst yet. Servants, on the other hand, has a touch of gentlemanly/ladylike class...

Anarion
2012-06-21, 02:45 AM
Have you considered splitting up the load so you wouldn't need a backpack? Perhaps you could use a bag or large purse and carry a couple books in your other arm while walking. They could go in the bag if you needed both hands free for something, but you would probably avoid hurting your shoulder if you took things out for extended walks.

Nah, you're cool, you used proper italics and punctuation for your citation format.

Kobold-Bard
2012-06-21, 06:23 AM
Learn to balance your stuff on your head while you walk?

Attach some kind of superior padding to the messenger bag's strap?

Some sort of wheeled device? Possibly remote controlled, depending on just how eccentric you are willing to be?

Brother Oni
2012-06-21, 07:01 AM
Naaah, Personal Assistant sounds like the worst yet. Servants, on the other hand, has a touch of gentlemanly/ladylike class...

Actually current day British nobility find it the height of bad manners to refer to them as servants these days, as they consider it demeaning to the people.

I believe the term they like to use is the collective noun 'staff', although most prefer to get to know their staff on a first name basis (however they should be called by their proper form of address back).

dehro
2012-06-21, 08:41 AM
I am told that an acceptable alternative to both peons and minions is the term boy/girlfriend

could we get a picture of yourself wearing clothes you'd normally wear?

corrected it for you :smallbiggrin:

seriously, it's kinda pointless to fish for stuff without looking at what it's goint to go with.

grimbold
2012-06-21, 08:49 AM

thats what i was thinking!
knowing you from the facebook that would go very well :smallsmile:

Strawberries
2012-06-21, 08:56 AM
Uhm... using something a bit more formal, like:

http://www.trovacomputer.it/images/immagine-CA1432PQMARRON.jpg

and

http://www.studioarch.com/piquadro/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/C/A/CA1813LK.jpg

both by "Piquadro"

or

http://www.samsonite.fi/images/gene/prod/zoom/sams0586_01_pro-dlx3-business-laptop-backpack-l-39-6cm-15-6inch-black.jpg
by samsonite

or

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/5335944692_4acdf8b69c.jpg
by I don't know who

?

There are a lot of options, I think, usually for people who have a dress code at work but don't want to give up the praticalness of a backpack. Check the brands that produce suitcases or supplies for businessmen/women. Be warned that some of them could be really expensive.

EDIT: personally, I prefer those in the first spoiler: the other two seem too "modern" in style to go well with what you are describing. Something with leather as opposed to cloth would work well for you, I think.

Mikhailangelo
2012-06-21, 10:00 AM
Actually current day British nobility find it the height of bad manners to refer to them as servants these days, as they consider it demeaning to the people.

I believe the term they like to use is the collective noun 'staff', although most prefer to get to know their staff on a first name basis (however they should be called by their proper form of address back).

Ah what does anyone in the present know? It is to the past that we must look! And the antiquated laws and nobility regarded the relationship as one of Master and Servant!

Anxe
2012-06-21, 10:53 AM
A lot of people don't sinch up their backpack straps all the way causing them to droop. This might be your problem. Make it so the straps are pretty much as tight as possible and it won't droop as much. It may still look out of place with your outfit, but you did mention this as the problem in the title.

WarKitty
2012-06-21, 02:19 PM
A lot of people don't sinch up their backpack straps all the way causing them to droop. This might be your problem. Make it so the straps are pretty much as tight as possible and it won't droop as much. It may still look out of place with your outfit, but you did mention this as the problem in the title.

It's not the backpack causing the pain; it's when I try to use a messenger bag or briefcase or other more "professional" option.

Will work on getting a picture.

Anxe
2012-06-21, 02:37 PM
The backpack is causing you pain? I thought this was style oriented?

Kobold-Bard
2012-06-21, 02:48 PM
The backpack is causing you pain? I thought this was style oriented?

Re-read the posts. Backpacks are a style issue, the obvious solution (messenger bag) is the cause of the pain.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-21, 02:57 PM
Well, first and foremost, minimize your load. Less weight = smaller carrying bag, just better all round. That said, this will only take you so far.

Next up, a laptop and a couple books should not cause notable pain in a messenger bag style setup. Consider looking at your shoulder strap, weight distribution(is the strap on the same or opposite side from your bag), and see if something can't be done here. I'll note that I carry rather a lot of books routinely in this format, and it's no worries at all.

If all else fails, some sort of wheeled bag(usually more a luggage thing, but with day-trip bags and the like, can be found fairly small) is usually quite effective for avoiding pain.

TechnoScrabble
2012-06-21, 03:55 PM
Cover that sucker in buttons and pogs, give it more wacky memorabilia than a T.G.I. Friday's waitress's vest!

WarKitty
2012-06-21, 03:58 PM
Alright kiddos, here's the picture. This is me on a rather low-level day (read: the dryer wasn't working so I pulled on the dress I had and shoved some makeup in my bag to put on at work).

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/Jese_Cabron/snapshotface.jpg

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/Jese_Cabron/snapshotfull.jpg

Silma
2012-06-21, 05:36 PM
You can carry a backpack that says "If you think this backpack is silly I will kill you. Seriously"

Cobra_Ikari
2012-06-21, 07:04 PM
Alright kiddos, here's the picture. This is me on a rather low-level day (read: the dryer wasn't working so I pulled on the dress I had and shoved some makeup in my bag to put on at work).

*ka-snip*

Hmm. I don't really see how that would make a backpack look inordinately silly, unless you already dislike the way backpacks look in general.

Approximately how much are you needing to carry? (Number, size, weight of books, just a guess, is for thinking)

dehro
2012-06-22, 02:32 AM
one of these (http://www.waitfashion.com/tag/backpack)

or this one, which can be homemade apparently (http://www.flickr.com/photos/maggiemugginsdesigns/5867183338/)

I have no idea why I of all people am giving fashion tips.. if my friends knew I was doing it I would never hear the end of it.

Morph Bark
2012-06-22, 04:18 AM
http://www.samsonite.fi/images/gene/prod/zoom/sams0586_01_pro-dlx3-business-laptop-backpack-l-39-6cm-15-6inch-black.jpg
by samsonite

Hey, that's the one I got! Of course, nowadays I just use a leather messenger bag, because I don't like needing to take my backpack off each time I get on the bus or train and sometimes not even during class.

Anarion
2012-06-22, 07:08 PM
If the place you work is big enough, maybe you can talk them into printing company logo backpacks for their new recruits and score yourself a free one since you came up with it. Then it's not silly because you're showing company spirit.

...What? It's fashion, some people go to great lengths for this stuff.

Riverdance
2012-06-23, 04:58 PM
It's not the backpack causing the pain; it's when I try to use a messenger bag or briefcase or other more "professional" option.

Will work on getting a picture.

If you're willing to try another messenger bag try this one (the Timbuk2 D-Lux Bondage Messenger Bag). http://content1.giantnerd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/489x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/4/3/439-92-2012-23670-BlackGunm-S-23671.jpg

It holds a laptop comfortably and it has a waist strap that takes 95% of the weight off of your shoulder. It also has a special clip system that makes it so you don't have to lift the whole bag over your head when you take it off. It also looks very classy, is completely waterproof, and holds a ton of stuff. In fact it holds so much that I definitely recommend getting the medium one over the large because the large could probably fit my torso (sans limbs and head) without too much trouble. Also it doesn't have "bondage" written on it anywhere if you were worried about that.

WarKitty
2012-06-24, 09:06 PM
If you're willing to try another messenger bag try this one (the Timbuk2 D-Lux Bondage Messenger Bag). http://content1.giantnerd.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/489x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/4/3/439-92-2012-23670-BlackGunm-S-23671.jpg

It holds a laptop comfortably and it has a waist strap that takes 95% of the weight off of your shoulder. It also has a special clip system that makes it so you don't have to lift the whole bag over your head when you take it off. It also looks very classy, is completely waterproof, and holds a ton of stuff. In fact it holds so much that I definitely recommend getting the medium one over the large because the large could probably fit my torso (sans limbs and head) without too much trouble. Also it doesn't have "bondage" written on it anywhere if you were worried about that.

It looks nice but...yeesh, that thing is HOW MUCH??? $129?!!!? I do not have that much money in the budget!

Riverdance
2012-06-24, 11:40 PM
It looks nice but...yeesh, that thing is HOW MUCH??? $129?!!!? I do not have that much money in the budget!

I got it for 60. Don't ask me how. Maybe I don't have the d-lux.

Mauve Shirt
2012-06-25, 04:59 AM
Are you incredibly wealthy? (http://www.polyvore.com/coach_poppy_metallic_signature_sateen/thing?id=59007276)
Yeah, neither am I.

More (http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//women/brands/view-all-brands/olsenboye%25e2%2584%25a2-backpack/prod.jump?ppId=1dc664c&catId=cat100250002&deptId=dept20000019&selectedLotId=1024206&selectedSKUId=10242060422&navState=navState-:catId-cat100250002:subcatId-:subcatZone-false:N-100250002:Ns-:Nao-96:ps-96:pn-2:Ntt-:Nf-:action-pagination&topDim=null&topDimvalue=null&currentDim=null&currentDimVal=null&searchCount=372&sortType=Featured) reasonable (http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/brands/view-all-brands/olsenboye-canvas-backpack/prod.jump?ppId=1e39fdc&catId=cat100250002&deptId=dept20000019&selectedLotId=1024204&selectedSKUId=10242040018&navState=navState-:catId-cat100250002:subcatId-:subcatZone-false:N-100250002:Ns-:Nao-0:ps-96:pn-1:Ntt-:Nf-:action-pagination&topDim=null&topDimvalue=null&currentDim=null&currentDimVal=null&searchCount=372&sortType=Featured) bags (http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/fair-square-prices-/best-prices-/luggage-backpacks-/yak-pak-mesh-backpack/prod.jump?ppId=1b863e8&deptId=dept20000019&selectedLotId=0461208&selectedSKUId=04612080042&navState=navState-:catId-:subcatId-:subcatZone-false:N-%204294965981:Ns-:Nao-0:ps-96:pn-1:Ntt-:Nf-:action-pagination&topDim=null&topDimvalue=null&currentDim=null&currentDimVal=null&searchCount=246&sortType=Featured)

J.C. Penney and Macy's are good for nice prices on backpacks that are more like handbags.

WarKitty
2012-06-25, 10:22 AM
So tried my messenger bag again last night. Still hurts. All I had in it was my laptop. It just...it's all the weight pulling down against one shoulder

blackfox
2012-06-25, 10:33 AM
So tried my messenger bag again last night. Still hurts. All I had in it was my laptop. It just...it's all the weight pulling down against one shoulderDo you carry it just on the one shoulder, or slung across the chest? I've found that the latter helps me, at least, carry something heavy.

WarKitty
2012-06-25, 10:47 AM
Do you carry it just on the one shoulder, or slung across the chest? I've found that the latter helps me, at least, carry something heavy.

It's across my chest.

SarahV
2012-06-25, 11:23 AM
Check out some of the backpacks on Etsy. They have handmade and vintage stuff that will not look so modern or corporate with your style. Maybe some nice broken-in leather would look OK?

The other suggestion I have is to search for "rolling laptop bag." Most of these have the same modern look as most backpacks, but maybe you can find one you like, and it is better for your back/shoulders. If you can find one you like OK I think they can look a little more delicate/feminine than a backpack.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-25, 11:25 AM
It's across my chest.

Can you borrow another messenger bag to experiment? The weight of a laptop should not be causing physical pain...perhaps there's an issue with padding, or strap details or something.

Brother Oni
2012-06-25, 11:27 AM
It's across my chest.

Stupid question, but have you tried across the other shoulder? You may have injured or strained the shoulder you usually carry it over.

Other than that, maybe look into some exercises that will improve your strength and posture so you can carry more?

MonkeyBusiness
2012-06-25, 03:43 PM
Find a vintage suitcase. There's your classic look, with plenty space to carry all your stuff.

Then, go to a good travel shop and buy the best luggage trolley you can afford. Something sturdy but light with in-line skate wheels that are replaceable is a good idea.

WarKitty
2012-06-25, 04:51 PM
Don't know what would help. Probably doesn't help that a routine load is somewhere between 5% and 10% of my body weight - trying to put that on one shoulder is hard.

Tyndmyr
2012-06-26, 07:10 AM
Don't know what would help. Probably doesn't help that a routine load is somewhere between 5% and 10% of my body weight - trying to put that on one shoulder is hard.

That shouldn't be unbearable...but might require a good shoulder strap to avoid the feeling of the strap cutting into you. A too-short strap can also put undue pressure laterally, which is of course bad.

For reference, I routinely do 10-15% of body weight in a *very* densely packed messenger-bag style carry system, and it's no problem.

The Succubus
2012-06-26, 07:13 AM
Probably not helping much but that was a very classy photo of you with the fan. :smallcool: