PDA

View Full Version : Futurama Season 7

Bouregard
2012-06-21, 12:43 PM
So new season is up and nobody is tlking about it?

First episode ws not that funny in my opinion but the second was really nice. Or maybe I just like Zap Brannigan.

However the Preview for the next one looks promising.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-06-21, 03:10 PM
Hmmm...First episode was better, I thought. I laughed most of the way through, but the second one...

Well, Futurama hasn't been as good since moving to Comedy Central, but the first one felt more like the original run, so that's why I liked it. We'll see how this season plays out.

TheSummoner
2012-06-21, 03:33 PM
Both episodes had their ups and downs. I just plain don't like Wanda Sykes so her having a guest role was a point against the first episode in my eyes. The subplot with Fry glowing green was more or less pointless too. Still, I thought it was a pretty good Bender episode overall. The fact that the intro caption was the "Not sure if" Fry meme also cracked me up.

The second episode I liked better. I thought the martian doomsday prophecy was clever and liked the throwback by having one of the native martians reappear near the end of the episode. The way Leela's (and later, Fry's) arm just came off was... Kinda dumb... But that's really the only complaint I have. Still, I have to wonder about the in-universe consequences of getting rid of Mars. They've really been changing the status quo around in-show since Futurama came to Comedy Central... and as Fry once said, in all shows, everything should go back to normal at the end of the episode.

So... Both were decent episodes. Not as strong as old Futurama, but MUCH better than the average for Season 6.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-21, 04:43 PM
Hmmm...First episode was better, I thought. I laughed most of the way through, but the second one...

Well, Futurama hasn't been as good since moving to Comedy Central, but the first one felt more like the original run, so that's why I liked it. We'll see how this season plays out.

Ditto. I felt the first episode had more substance and evoked more of an emotional response regardless if you found it funny. The second episode not so much. It's been doing something that a lot of new Futurama episodes have been doing as well as Family Guy:
The pointless, excessive violence and vulgarity. I don't want to sound like a prude. I like plenty of adult shows and movies, but just vulgarity and violence for the sake of that is kind of cheap. I feel like the new episodes gone down this road of let's just do shock value to get an emotional response. Like the bit when Fry and Leela both lose their arms didn't make sense to me.
Honestly, I think if this season isn't better than the last few, I might just give up on Futurama.

Kindablue
2012-06-21, 06:24 PM
I didn't like the last season too much, but I'm really looking forward to this one. I liked both of those episodes a lot.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-06-22, 08:22 AM
I think I liked the second episode more than the first. It often seems like the newer Futurama seasons sort of hit their stride around the mid-season. My favorites from the last season were the episode that explains Zoidberg and Farnsworth's backstory when they both worked for Mom, and Bender the robot ghost.

Ravens_cry
2012-06-22, 09:12 AM
I felt it got a bit overdone with ruining Fry's attempts at gallantry, especially the last one.
Seriously, their arms being pulled off?
It was like a parody of a Twilight Zone twist.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-06-22, 09:43 AM
Ye gods why don't you just put a 'Spoilers' tag in the title so it can be discussed without tags? Then everyone is fairly warned.

Anyways two reasonable episodes. I felt the show has been hitting mostly high notes ever since it started regular seasons of Comedy Central. Could both episodes have been better oh yes.

For starters I really can't like the idea of robot reproduction as a concept so it kind of puts the brakes on my enjoyment of that episode. It was sweet enough and even (a little) matches with what we've seen but I found myself just a little bored.

Next one was better, though really this late in the show beating up on Fry is kinda lame. Dammit writer we all know he can grow up and be an awesome guy, you yourselves did that... so do it already.

Also does this mean Amy is going to be poor now?

Dr.Epic
2012-06-27, 09:32 PM
Well, I actually thought that episode was pretty good until literally the last minute:

It's a paradox free time code. They said that I don't know how many times in the film. He still should be there. Look at all the paradoxes in Bender's Big Score that happened because it was a paradox free time code.

:smallfurious:

Loki_42
2012-06-27, 09:33 PM
Wait, wasn't that time-code paradox-proof?

Edit: Ninja'd

TheSummoner
2012-06-27, 11:34 PM
I only caught the end of it...

I turned the TV on as he was explaining he was from the future and used the time code. I agree that he should't have been phased out since it was explicitly a paradox-free time code. Worse yet, the writers had a perfectly valid way of getting rid of him.

He walks up to the podium, starts to give his speech, and a stage light falls and crushes him. Instead of saying he never got sent back since Nixon never won, Bender explains that as a time travel duplicate, he was doomed from the start. Time travel duplicates are always doomed.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-28, 02:56 AM
I only caught the end of it...

I turned the TV on as he was explaining he was from the future and used the time code. I agree that he should't have been phased out since it was explicitly a paradox-free time code. Worse yet, the writers had a perfectly valid way of getting rid of him.

He walks up to the podium, starts to give his speech, and a stage light falls and crushes him. Instead of saying he never got sent back since Nixon never won, Bender explains that as a time travel duplicate, he was doomed from the start. Time travel duplicates are always doomed.

Agreed.

The time duplicate copies of living beings were always doomed - another key plot point of the film. This is what really bugs me about the episode, it was good until this point. I was going to mark it under reasons to keep watching Futurama, but now not so much.

Current score this season:
Good episodes | Bad episodes: 1 | 2

Selrahc
2012-06-28, 01:49 PM
Just imagine they didn't include that two second reference to the movies, and the politician just used some random time machine. :smallsigh:

It was a good episode.

Androgeus
2012-06-28, 02:14 PM
The reason they erased him from time rather than just killed him is that they wanted Nixon to be back in office, which wouldn't have happened if he'd just been killed if they follow America's procedures (Vice-President is made President?). Not that this excuses the continuity error.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-28, 02:16 PM
Just imagine they didn't include that two second reference to the movies, and the politician just used some random time machine. :smallsigh:

It was a good episode.

Still, I can't get over that one bit. My mind won't let me enjoy what is otherwise a good episode. I mean, the writers should know how this stuff works.

TheSummoner
2012-06-28, 02:19 PM
The reason they erased him from time rather than just killed him is that they wanted Nixon to be back in office, which wouldn't have happened if he'd just been killed if they follow America's procedures (Vice-President is made President?). Not that this excuses the continuity error.

True enough, but there are still alternatives... Kill his VP too. Kill him off before the results are tallied. That sort of thing.

irenicObserver
2012-06-30, 11:53 AM
Since this is a thread about the new season, why not put (Spoilers) in the thread title so I don't have to click through a bunch of them to read this?
:tongue:

The thing is that Mars isn't gone, you can see it at the end in a new orbit. Much more easily visible from Earth. Fry and Leela's arms coming off really made me crack up because it seemed so romantic but turned so bad. It was the point in the story where the cynical turns ideal but they subverted that formula. :biggrin:

Honestly I was annoyed with how fickle the writers are being with Fry and Leela's relationship.

Anyone else wanna bet that the robot uprising in the Decision 3012 is the same one Fry, Bender and Farnsworth saw when they were travelling forward in time? I think the thing about the Paradox Time Code is that it only eliminates the paradox of temporal duplicates. Looking at the movie all the time travel was a stable time loop, no one attempted to change the past with it. So not only does it make sense internally there was no other way it could happen :amused:

Dr.Epic
2012-07-05, 09:22 AM
That episode was...better...?

I mean, it was better than the last two which I hated. And I didn't hate this one. I didn't find it too enjoyable though. It had its moments. One thing I was loathing was they would do a TMZ or whatever it's called parody. Did anyone else first suspect Cobb to be Fry or some other character we knew? Yeah, I know it sound stupid, but why else put him in a mask (besides the actual reason)?

Kato
2012-07-05, 09:35 AM
Lalalala, still need to watch episode four, gotta do that later. But I didn't say anything about episodes 1-3 yet.
Also, no spoilers, the episodes are at least a week old, I guess.

1) I liked it. It was sweet. Not as well done as Jurassic Bark, of course but decent.
2) I really liked simply because I like poking fun at stupid end of the world prophecies, especially those of old religions. Since it's Futurama I'll even accept it was no subversion but a twist. BUT Mars passing this close to earth and nothing happening was a rare occasion for Futurama breaking my willing suspension of disbelief. (Yeah, I know, I should just accept it but I was like "What? NO! You can't jump from one planet to the other like that!")
3) I liked it a lot except for the conclusion. It really... just served to keep the status quo and it... I'm not sure if it ruined the episode or just the point it tried to make. If there even was one. (Reminds me of the creationism episode last season... but let's not get real-life)

Yeah, I'll watch the new episode later today, I think.

irenicObserver
2012-07-05, 12:13 PM
That episode was...better...?

I mean, it was better than the last two which I hated. And I didn't hate this one. I didn't find it too enjoyable though. It had its moments. One thing I was loathing was they would do a TMZ or whatever it's called parody. Did anyone else first suspect Cobb to be Fry or some other character we knew? Yeah, I know it sound stupid, but why else put him in a mask (besides the actual reason)?

I think they could have fleshed out some things they introduced, rather than keep them as throwaway gags. I thought we would get a chance to see Cobb's face at some point, like some big reveal that's important. I find that this episode skirted too close to some form of supernaturalism with the life-force stealing.

Androgeus
2012-07-05, 12:46 PM
I thought we would get a chance to see Cobb's face at some point, like some big reveal that's important.

This is a bad idea unless you wanted your life force to be stolen, and to be left deflated?

Dr.Epic
2012-07-05, 01:36 PM
I think they could have fleshed out some things they introduced, rather than keep them as throwaway gags. I thought we would get a chance to see Cobb's face at some point, like some big reveal that's important. I find that this episode skirted too close to some form of supernaturalism with the life-force stealing.

Meh. I think everything was explained well enough. I think the whole life-stealing-sci-fi-entity is common enough in works of fiction that you'd know what they were talking about. As for a reveal, I didn't think it was needed. This is a being that drains life force so its appearance would have to be...maybe not terrifying but something grand. Often times in fiction it's better to just leave a mystery as reality could never live up to the hype.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-05, 02:27 PM
*sigh* There is a lot of enjoyable characters in Futurama. Even Bender is enjoyable in that roguish way that would be insufferable in real life, and they have been shown to have a certain level of depth.
But this is hindered by the creators just turning things on Random so much and resetting basically any character growth.

Joran
2012-07-05, 03:49 PM
Biggest laugh of last episode was the aquarium guide saying, "This is Jurassic Park" and grandiosely revealing a humongous tank full of prehistoric marine dinosaurs along with one very frantic T-Rex trying to tread water.

I have a friend who is totally into film photography to the point that he built a darkroom in his apartment, so Bender's hobby really resonated.

TheSummoner
2012-07-05, 11:54 PM
Meh. I think everything was explained well enough. I think the whole life-stealing-sci-fi-entity is common enough in works of fiction that you'd know what they were talking about. As for a reveal, I didn't think it was needed. This is a being that drains life force so its appearance would have to be...maybe not terrifying but something grand. Often times in fiction it's better to just leave a mystery as reality could never live up to the hype.

Agreed.

It's a hard line to walk with things like this. Don't reveal it and it feels cheap. Do reveal it and it will never measure up to viewer expectations. The former is arguably the better option and it's what they went with.

I didn't really like this episode. It didn't really bother me... It wasn't a bad episode, but it didn't stand out either. Only thing that really bothered me was the explanation of how Cobb worked... I'm used to fake sciencey nonsense from Futurama, but I'm used to Futurama's fake sciency nonsense being better than that.

Xondoure
2012-07-06, 12:03 AM
Agreed.

It's a hard line to walk with things like this. Don't reveal it and it feels cheap. Do reveal it and it will never measure up to viewer expectations. The former is arguably the better option and it's what they went with.

I didn't really like this episode. It didn't really bother me... It wasn't a bad episode, but it didn't stand out either. Only thing that really bothered me was the explanation of how Cobb worked... I'm used to fake sciencey nonsense from Futurama, but I'm used to Futurama's fake sciency nonsense being better than that.

On the line of great sciencey stuff from Futurama "we made light go faster" is the best excuse for interstellar travel ever.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-06, 01:59 AM
On the line of great sciencey stuff from Futurama "we made light go faster" is the best excuse for interstellar travel ever.
Actually, I liked the 'We move the rest of the universe instead' explanation Cubert gave best, as it is kinda, sorta, not really, but a good starting lie for how Alcubierre 'drive' is supposed to work.

Socratov
2012-07-06, 04:43 AM
Actually, I liked the 'We move the rest of the universe instead' explanation Cubert gave best, as it is kinda, sorta, not really, but a good starting lie for how Alcubierre 'drive' is supposed to work.

well, actually it's a great sciency-but-not comment. I mean everyone knows by now that faster then light travel is impossible (or at least those with some physics in high school and moderatly intelligent), so why want to push when you can pull the rest of the universe in such a way that it accomodates to you rdesired destination? it's almost as brilliant as the infinite improbabilty drive thought of by Douglas Adams (which wouldn't work in the futurama unverse since randomness is normal enough).

I have loved all the episodes simply because i don't mind a little bit of discontinuity now and then. thinking aoubt futurama makes you roll for SAN damage. As long as you just think ok, cool story bro, all the episodes are really enjoyable, especially because of those little quirks they tend to put in (like the t-rex in an aquarium).

also the paradox works better then poeple give it credit for:

1: the time code doesn't create direct paradoxes, to be assumed that it copies a timeline in an alternate universe
2: changing history always creates a paradox, the question is, does the paradox affect existentiality
3: the moment the senator won, he made his future not happen, making his campaign not happen, making Nixon automatically win. This technically is a change in causality, not a paradox, since it's unknown if he did change the future or not (and here comes the sanity loss) meaning he could have created an entirely new timeline, he really could have created a paradox or he has altered the timeline in such a way that he deprived himself of his own existence, but let knowledge and ideals linger, eliminating the dystopian future.

I'm off to the cuckoo's nest! (too much SAN damage)

Ravens_cry
2012-07-06, 06:04 AM
Well, thanks to Quantum Tunnelling, there is an insignificant, but not zero, chance, of ending up somewhere else, perhaps even interstellar distances.
If someone somehow could manipulate probability, well, it might end up being something like the Infinite Improbability drive.

Socratov
2012-07-06, 01:34 PM
Well, thanks to Quantum Tunnelling, there is an insignificant, but not zero, chance, of ending up somewhere else, perhaps even interstellar distances.
If someone somehow could manipulate probability, well, it might end up being something like the Infinite Improbability drive.

well, the problem with the IID is the fact that is depends on a universe where noramlity actually is the default situation (as far as you can call the universe in Adam's Hichthiker's guide normal). In futurama the universe basically writes normality on a sheet of paper, burns it, pulverises the ashes, mixes them with a hardening agent and pulverises it again. that does not make it a valid starting point for the IID wich defeats the purpose somewhat. ofcourse if you wil laccept the other explanation of the IID where everything has it's own probability and you just calculating an area in wich you can accept to arrive (where the events happening at the destination like becoming a sofa are accepted significance errors). this get complicated very quickly however because you will ahve to account for the rest of the universe to stay the same. this is possible in the futurama universe were it not a challenge allready for the universe to not completely defacate in the face of causality alltogether without outside interference.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-06, 01:43 PM
Which is what frustrates me.
I love these characters. Luck of the Fry-ish, even more, in my opinion, than Jurassic Bark was a defining moment in Fry making peace with his past, his by-gone world.
Leela reconnecting with her real parents was equally an important moment for her.
But just setting the universe on Blend really hinders that in my opinion.

Joran
2012-07-06, 02:03 PM
Which is what frustrates me.
I love these characters. Luck of the Fry-ish, even more, in my opinion, than Jurassic Bark was a defining moment in Fry making peace with his past, his by-gone world.
Leela reconnecting with her real parents was equally an important moment for her.
But just setting the universe on Blend really hinders that in my opinion.

Some continuity remains. Leela knows she's a mutant as does everyone else. Fry and Leela are a couple for the most part.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-06, 02:13 PM
Some continuity remains. Leela knows she's a mutant as does everyone else. Fry and Leela are a couple for the most part.
Yeah, but it's mostly for gags and call-backs, like the emcee calling out 'Ladies and Gentlemen. . . and Smizmar!'.

Socratov
2012-07-07, 07:02 AM
Yeah, but it's mostly for gags and call-backs, like the emcee calling out 'Ladies and Gentlemen. . . and Smizmar!'.

or "Ladies and gentlemen... Zoidberg"

Dr.Epic
2012-07-11, 10:37 PM
So I liked the newest episode. I mean, I didn't think it was bad. I really liked the cantina spoof.

Kato
2012-07-13, 07:44 AM
So I liked the newest episode. I mean, I didn't think it was bad. I really liked the cantina spoof.

My friend laughed at me when I said "it's not that much of a rip-off". I guess I haven't Star Wars often enough...

Yeah, the episode was okay. But I somehow didn't like the sudden return to Status Quo at the end. Zapp and Leela's mom sticking together would have been kind of sweet.
Oh, and seductive Leela was... :smallredface:

Dr.Epic
2012-07-13, 11:27 AM
My friend laughed at me when I said "it's not that much of a rip-off". I guess I haven't Star Wars often enough...

Yeah, the episode was okay. But I somehow didn't like the sudden return to Status Quo at the end. Zapp and Leela's mom sticking together would have been kind of sweet.
Oh, and seductive Leela was... :smallredface:

I mean the episode had flaws. It was a little rushed in places and some bits seemed contrived, but it was nice to see a new side to Zap thus giving him depth (though you could argue this might have been out of character). Whatever the case, I didn't hate the episode. The next episode looks kind of iffy.

Flickerdart
2012-07-13, 12:57 PM
Nah, it was definitely in character. We've seen Zapp be a halfway decent person for extended lengths of time before, especially when he was hatching a devious scheme at the same time.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-13, 02:03 PM
Nah, it was definitely in character. We've seen Zapp be a halfway decent person for extended lengths of time before, especially when he was hatching a devious scheme at the same time.

But marriage? I mean, is it in character for the guy who hits on every woman and doesn't care about a monogamy to want to settle down, especially with a woman older than him. The betrayal to the aliens seemed natural.

Eldan
2012-07-13, 02:44 PM
But marriage? I mean, is it in character for the guy who hits on every woman and doesn't care about a monogamy to want to settle down, especially with a woman older than him. The betrayal to the aliens seemed natural.

I don't know. His "I hit on everything" side always just seemed a bit desperate. Perhaps he's quite happy if anyone actually wants to stay with him for more than three minutes.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-13, 02:46 PM
I don't know. His "I hit on everything" side always just seemed a bit desperate. Perhaps he's quite happy if anyone actually wants to stay with him for more than three minutes.

Remember in Beast with a Billion Backs when right after he sleeps with Amy - like he's literally still in bed with her even - he starts to hit on Leela.

Flickerdart
2012-07-14, 11:31 AM
As the captain, I'm pretty sure he has the power to divorce as well as marry. He probably thought he might need the extra leverage to get Leela's mom to go along with the plan, and after that, who knows. I mean, the ring was glass.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-07-15, 10:32 AM

Considering his personality that either requires superhuman patience or longstanding masochism (ie, Kif).

Dr.Epic
2012-07-15, 04:55 PM
I liked how they brought back LeLemon for a brief cameo.:smallwink:

Kato
2012-07-20, 01:35 PM
Well, new episode got us... skimpy outfits, mostly...

I was kind of expecting the whole 'when women are polite to each other it means trouble' thing to turn up...seems I was wrong.
Apart from that a decent episode but nothing spectacular in my opinion.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-20, 10:10 PM
I was kind of expecting the whole 'when women are polite to each other it means trouble' thing to turn up...seems I was wrong.

Yeah, me too. Overall, it had some funny moments, but I didn't really like it.