PDA

View Full Version : Malfunctioning Freezer Sets Back Autism Research

Kindablue
2012-06-25, 02:56 PM
http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-11/news/32177708_1_brain-bank-autism-research-freezer

A freezer malfunction at Harvard-affiliated McLean Hospital has severely damaged one-third of the world’s largest collection of autism brain samples, potentially setting back research on the disorder by years, scientists say.

An official at the renowned brain bank in Belmont discovered that the freezer had shut down in late May, without triggering two alarms. Inside, they found 150 thawed brains that had turned dark from decay; about a third of them were part of a collection of autism brains.

“This was a priceless collection,’’ said Dr. Francine Benes, director of the Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center, where the brains were housed. “You can’t express its value in dollar amounts,’’ said Benes, who is leading one of two internal investigations into the freezer failure.

[...]

The McLean freezer, one of 24 in the Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center, was protected by two separate alarm systems, and staff checked an external thermostat twice a day to ensure that the tissue samples were maintained at about minus-80 degrees Celsius. But on May 31, center Assistant Director George Tejada opened so-called Freezer U and wasn’t greeted by the expected blast of cold air. Though the alarms had not been triggered and the external thermostat read minus-79, the actual temperature was 7 degrees, roughly equivalent to a refrigerator. Based on the condition of the brains, Benes estimates the freezer had turned off three days earlier.

Benes said the situation is so unusual - the perfect storm of alarm and thermostat failure and the concentration of samples - that she cannot rule out foul play. She said she has not spoken to law enforcement officials, pending the completion of the internal investigation.

In the interim, she said, McLean will upgrade security in the freezer room, which is under lock and key and watched by a surveillance camera.

The freezer contained about 150 brain samples from people who had died with a neurological condition such as autism, Parkinson’s disease, or Alzheimer’s disease, or a psychiatric one like bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

I don't quite know what to say about that.

Rallicus
2012-06-26, 11:04 AM
For a second there I read it as "from a neurological condition," not "with."

Now that would be news. Someone dying from autism?

But as it is, there's really not much to discuss here. I actually think the loss of important samples like Parkinson's is more discouraging.

Yora
2012-06-26, 11:28 AM
Well, they were smart enough to not store their entire stock in the same place.

Dr.Epic
2012-06-26, 12:14 PM
Freezer? I thought Goku beat him.

:smalltongue:

grimbold
2012-06-30, 06:27 PM

my thoughts exactly
this bad
but not as bad as it could be

Dr.Epic
2012-07-01, 04:05 PM

Wait, you aren't supposed to do that?:smallconfused:

:smalleek:I need to get more baskets for my eggs! I can't keep them all in one basket!

Fiery Diamond
2012-07-07, 10:45 PM
And no one besides me thinks a giant freezer with one and a half hundred brains in it is slightly disturbing? No?

I totally understand the point, of course, but still. One wonders if there is "foul play" whether the perpetrator was someone who thought ill of it.

Kindablue
2012-07-07, 11:37 PM
And no one besides me thinks a giant freezer with one and a half hundred brains in it is slightly disturbing? No?

I totally understand the point, of course, but still. One wonders if there is "foul play" whether the perpetrator was someone who thought ill of it.

Hopfully we'll catch this monster before he burns the Icelandic penis museum to the ground!

Lord Loss
2012-07-08, 11:02 AM
Hopfully we'll catch this monster before he burns the Icelandic penis museum to the ground!

Is that a thing? Tell me that's not a thing

Kindablue
2012-07-08, 11:08 AM
Is that a thing? Tell me that's not a thing

It's a lot of things in well lit glass cases, actually.

Lord Loss
2012-07-09, 11:04 PM
Oh hell. I'm gonna have nightmares now.

kpenguin
2012-07-09, 11:25 PM
The actually received their first human penis last year :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2012-07-10, 12:20 AM

It's not what you think it is. It's just a name. Really, it's more of a learning and education center than museum.