PDA

View Full Version : What adaptions would you love to see?

pffh
2012-06-25, 03:47 PM
It is well known that adaptions of a creative work from one media to another are rarely good but even then sometimes they are great like say for example Game of Thrones so what adaptions would you love to see?

I would love to see the Avatar: The Last Airbender guys turn Broken Sky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sky) into a cartoon similar to Avatar. I loved these books when I was younger and like avatar they were inspired by the anime style.

Jaros
2012-06-25, 04:32 PM
Ooooh, I remember those books. Come to think of it yeah those could do very well as a cartoon.

Urpriest
2012-06-25, 05:53 PM
Not a book, but I really think that a movie set in Eberron could do well. It's got a lot of exotic, visual stuff that audiences would enjoy, and I think with the current rash of nerd movies it wouldn't be seen as too specialized. Just make sure that no-one involved with any previous D&D movie got anywhere near it...

Pokonic
2012-06-25, 06:28 PM
While it was originaly a joke, I would love to see a version of the story of Troy as a western (in the vein of William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet ), with the greeks as Indians and the inhabitents of Troy proper being your typical western town. Naturaly, the sissy son of the mayor hooks up with a young nubile tribewomen during a peace-talk, who unknowing to him is the daughter of the most powerful chieften there. After he spirits her away, the story starts off at the point where most adaptions mearly skip too, and the Trojen Horse in this case is a caravan and the wall is the literal wall that the horses cannot jump over.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-06-25, 07:00 PM
a big-screen film adaptation of Neverwhere, with the book as source material not the tv series.

Martin Freeman as Richard Mayhew.
Rooney Mara as Door.

Giegue
2012-06-25, 07:01 PM
As messed up as this sounds, I feel Digimon has potential as a live action film/film series. I don't think it should be based on any one season of digimon, but rather the overall concept of the series. Digimon is much more pertinent now then it was back in the 90s, seeing how much technology has advanced and I think a more mature/dark yet true to the spirit of the series film/film series would be an excellent way to re-launch digimon in America and other non-Japanese markets. I would like the film to be kinda like season 3/digimon tamers as far as overall mood/feeling and "maturity level" went, and more like tamers by putting more focus on the real world then most digimon continuities do. It would have the potential to be the first GOOD live-action anime film so long as it had the right writers, right director and right cast, but could also be VERY bad if not given the proper "handlers." Just please don't let Michael Bay or Shamalon get anywhere near it!

Prime32
2012-06-25, 07:08 PM
The live-action movie adaptation of The Saga of Darren Shan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saga_of_Darren_Shan) was disappointing; since there's a manga based on it, an anime adaptation of that could be interesting.

Also: an Animorphs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animorphs) animated series.

EDIT:
It would have the potential to be the first GOOD live-action anime filmToo late, they already made The Matrix. :smalltongue:

Dumbledore lives
2012-06-25, 07:41 PM
I want to see an adaptation of World War Z. No not the bastardized version they're making now, but a Citizen Kane like movie, where the narrator is unnamed and unimportant, and the stories themselves are the main focus. The new film they're making got me so excited then so disappointed.

Gnoman
2012-06-25, 07:48 PM
I always thought the Wheel of Time books would make an excellent TV series.

Giegue
2012-06-25, 07:50 PM
Yeah, but the Martix was not based on any specific anime, and it was a live-action film before the animartix even existed. By "live action anime movie" I really mean "live action movie based off an existing anime/manga series" not "live action movie that borrows tropes, conventions and style elements from anime." Thus, Dragonball Evolution is the only non-Japanese "anime movie" and it totally and completely sucked.

Rake21
2012-06-25, 07:50 PM
Well, I'd like to see an adaption of either the "Grimnoir Chronicles" or "Monster Hunter International" series (Both by Larry Correa. I highly recomend them)

"Grimnoir Chronicles" is set in the 1940's in a world where magic (see: super powers) have been promenent all over the world scince the late 1800s. Needless to say, history has shifted a bit. Germany is hit with a WMD constructed by Tesla to end WWI, and Hitler is executed long before he makes power. However, Imperial Japan is even more dangerous than in our timeline. Various abilities have changed the technological focus of the world.

It follows the Grimnoir Society, a group of Actives (powered individuals) who defend the world in secret from other powered folks, while, at the same time, ensuring the safety of Actives in society.

Really a fun couple of books to read. Great visuals for a film, too.

In "Monster Hunter International", every monster from myth, legend, movies, and Lovecraft exist. Though their existence is kept secret from the public, the monsters still stalk from the shadows. A group of mercenaries, employed privatly and collecting government sponsored bounties, hunt the creatures that threaten innocent lives.

Standard operating procedure for MHI includes such gems as "when in doubt, cut off it's head. Tend to work itself out after that.", "well, silver didn't work. Let's burn it.", and "there's no such thing as too many guns".

It's written for any one who has a strong love for B-monster and action flicks. And it would make one hell of a movie, itself.

Jerthanis
2012-06-25, 08:32 PM
I would probably have a pretty warm reception to people making a series of movies out of the Prydain Chronicles... or The Hero and the Crown.

I'd also like it if people started doing radio shows again. I really like books on tape, but they aren't written specifically for the format. I don't know if there'd be an audience, but heck, A Prairie Home Companion has been on for like, thirty years, and that's basically what I'd like more of. Just stories, on the radio.

Prime32
2012-06-25, 08:40 PM
I'd also like it if people started doing radio shows again. I really like books on tape, but they aren't written specifically for the format. I don't know if there'd be an audience, but heck, A Prairie Home Companion has been on for like, thirty years, and that's basically what I'd like more of. Just stories, on the radio.There's still plenty of that in Japan; it's common to adapt something as an audio drama first to gauge the market for an anime, or to provide side stories in that format.

Obviously you'd need subs, but it's less ridiculous than you'd think.

As a side-note, the Fate/Zero audio dramas had an awesome soundtrack.

Fri
2012-06-25, 08:52 PM
I'd also like it if people started doing radio shows again. I really like books on tape, but they aren't written specifically for the format. I don't know if there'd be an audience, but heck, A Prairie Home Companion has been on for like, thirty years, and that's basically what I'd like more of. Just stories, on the radio.

I guess it's a good time to introduce Black Jack Justice (http://www.decoderringtheatre.com/index.php?id=bjj) and The Red Panda (http://www.decoderringtheatre.com/index.php?id=rpa)

Fragenstein
2012-06-26, 06:21 AM
I'd also like it if people started doing radio shows again... Just stories, on the radio.

Satellite radio already does this. Aside from the normal 'Radio Classics' channel, they also have one dedicated to the reading of books and modern dramas.

Somehow it's just not as good. I suppose it's difficult to top the golden age of radio broadcasting. Back then, they used seasoned actors and top-dollar stars. These days it's a little tougher to draw genuine talent into the industry.

Brother Oni
2012-06-26, 07:05 AM
Thus, Dragonball Evolution is the only non-Japanese "anime movie" and it totally and completely sucked.

Wicked City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wicked_City_(1992_film)) wasn't that bad and City Hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Hunter_(film)) was your typical HK action comedy insanity.

Yora
2012-06-26, 11:59 AM
A movie with The Witcher could be quite cool.
Since it's no continous storyline, using the world and the characters while coming up with a plot that makes a good movie script should be a lot easier than turning a full novel into a movie. And since it basically plays in rural Central Europe plus monsters, it would be relatively cheap in production.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-06-26, 12:07 PM
Guillermo del Toro directing Perdido Street Station.

Empedocles
2012-06-26, 12:09 PM
Live action Gun X Sword is something I'd love to see, but would inevitably be made into a terrible film.

Alabenson
2012-06-26, 12:13 PM
I'd love to see a quality TV adaptation of David Eddings Belgariad/Malloreon.

Also, I'd like to see a remake of The Wizard of Oz that stayed close to the orginal work (which wasn't remotely feasible when the original movie was made)/

Fiery Diamond
2012-06-26, 04:49 PM

Also, I'd like to see a remake of The Wizard of Oz that stayed close to the orginal work (which wasn't remotely feasible when the original movie was made)/

That would certainly be interesting, but I'm not so sure it would be good. The Oz series is very weird. (Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way, but mostly just in a strange way.)

Diskhotep
2012-06-26, 05:57 PM

Check out the Thrilling Adventure Hour podcast. As they state before every podcast, it's a stage show in the style of old-time radio recorded in front of a live audience. It is made up of several different shows, all of them fantastic to listen to. While all are comedic in nature, they are played fairly straight and with an honest love of the programs they are emulating.

My personal favorite is "Beyond Belief", starring Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster as Frank and Sadie Doyle, supernatural investigators. Imagine if Nick and Nora Charles were hopeless alcoholics who specialized in ghostly mysteries.

Other favorites are "Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars" and "Jefferson Reid: Ace American".

Check them out - you will not be disappointed.

Jaros
2012-06-26, 06:15 PM
BBC Radio (mainly 4 and a bit of 3) still do a good deal of radio shows. The only non-adaptations I can think of at the moment are comedies, but I highly recommend Bleak Expectations or The Spaceship.

Serpentine
2012-06-26, 07:56 PM
Also: an Animorphs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animorphs) animated series.Specifically an anime series, I think.

There are some specific features of Animorphs I would want preserved in an adaptation:
1. Length. Sure, there's a crap-load of filler, dross, redundancy and general stuff that could easily be scrapped from the books, but the story is still a pretty long one and an adaptation should take its time with it.
2. Violence. Animorphs is seriously violent. One of my favourite scenes from anything ever involves Marco as a gorilla holding in his guys while Rachel as a bear bashes aliens with her own dismembered arm.
3. Fairly complicated themes, including ethical quandaries and shades of grey morality.
4. Awesome stuff, like bizarre aliens and spaceship battles. Applegate herself is (IIRC) on record as saying she designed the aliens specifically to be really hard to create for a live-action movie.
5. The sense of what it's like being another animal. Okay, so that one's not likely to be possible... But at least some attempt at it would be nice!

I don't think I need to say that the live-action TV adaptation failed in most of these - at most it got #1 (or tried to), and maybe #3, I didn't watch enough of it to know for sure. I'm afraid that any other Western adaptation will result in the same thing: it's a kids' series of books, yeah? So the adaptation must be for kids as well! Which certainly means no violence, and the ethical stuff will probably end up sanitised...
Basically, a western live-action show... We've already seen what that's like. Even if it didn't have the "made for kids" thing, it probably won't have the budget for the aliens and so on.
A western animated show will be for kids. I just can't imagine it not being for kids, which means all the best stuff will get wiped.
A western movie would be... well, short. If they managed to get a franchise out of it that'd be very neat, but not really likely, even if they managed to get away from the "made for kids" thing, and it'd need a massive budget for the effects.
An anime, though... There's already ridiculously long anime series (although I wouldn't actually expect nor want a TV series that long - there's 50-odd books, but you could probably do without half of them and squish a couple of other books together for an episode). The anime culture doesn't have this ingrained idea that "cartoons are for kids" - and, related, I think a lot of the sorts of people who read Animorphs would now watch anime, or at the very least know what it is. Animes certainly don't shy away from showing violence, nor do they tend to have a problem with depicting bat**** insanity and shades of grey.

So yeah. I'm not really what you're likely to call an "anime fan", but I really, really, really want to see an anime adaptation of Animorphs. So very much :smallfrown: I just don't think it's likely to work any other way.

Tamora Pierce's books as live-action TV shows would be pretty sweet, though.

Emmerask
2012-06-26, 08:03 PM
First and foremost I would love to see Mechwarrior movies made, preferably an adaption of the Stackpole books.

Actually I am really REALLY astounded no one has made on yet, it is the perfect material! (but PLEASSSSEEE for the love of god don´t let it be done by Michael Bay)

Also I would love to see a good Shadowrun film, the setting has just so much to offer visually.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-06-27, 01:50 AM
The Seventh Tower (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seventh_Tower). A pretty snazzy book series I read long ago. It's also pretty unique from what I recall. A lot of color themes throughout would make a spectacular looking film at the very least.

I was about to add American Gods (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods), but then I read the bottom of the Wiki page. :smallbiggrin: Joy!!!

maximus25
2012-06-27, 02:39 AM
Specifically an anime series, I think.

There are some specific features of Animorphs I would want preserved in an adaptation:
1. Length. Sure, there's a crap-load of filler, dross, redundancy and general stuff that could easily be scrapped from the books, but the story is still a pretty long one and an adaptation should take its time with it.
2. Violence. Animorphs is seriously violent. One of my favourite scenes from anything ever involves Marco as a gorilla holding in his guys while Rachel as a bear bashes aliens with her own dismembered arm.
3. Fairly complicated themes, including ethical quandaries and shades of grey morality.
4. Awesome stuff, like bizarre aliens and spaceship battles. Applegate herself is (IIRC) on record as saying she designed the aliens specifically to be really hard to create for a live-action movie.
5. The sense of what it's like being another animal. Okay, so that one's not likely to be possible... But at least some attempt at it would be nice!

I don't think I need to say that the live-action TV adaptation failed in most of these - at most it got #1 (or tried to), and maybe #3, I didn't watch enough of it to know for sure. I'm afraid that any other Western adaptation will result in the same thing: it's a kids' series of books, yeah? So the adaptation must be for kids as well! Which certainly means no violence, and the ethical stuff will probably end up sanitised...
Basically, a western live-action show... We've already seen what that's like. Even if it didn't have the "made for kids" thing, it probably won't have the budget for the aliens and so on.
A western animated show will be for kids. I just can't imagine it not being for kids, which means all the best stuff will get wiped.
A western movie would be... well, short. If they managed to get a franchise out of it that'd be very neat, but not really likely, even if they managed to get away from the "made for kids" thing, and it'd need a massive budget for the effects.
An anime, though... There's already ridiculously long anime series (although I wouldn't actually expect nor want a TV series that long - there's 50-odd books, but you could probably do without half of them and squish a couple of other books together for an episode). The anime culture doesn't have this ingrained idea that "cartoons are for kids" - and, related, I think a lot of the sorts of people who read Animorphs would now watch anime, or at the very least know what it is. Animes certainly don't shy away from showing violence, nor do they tend to have a problem with depicting bat**** insanity and shades of grey.

So yeah. I'm not really what you're likely to call an "anime fan", but I really, really, really want to see an anime adaptation of Animorphs. So very much :smallfrown: I just don't think it's likely to work any other way.

Tamora Pierce's books as live-action TV shows would be pretty sweet, though.

Animorph anime would be so awesome.

I would pay so much money for that to happen.

pita
2012-06-27, 11:11 AM
A movie with The Witcher could be quite cool.
Since it's no continous storyline, using the world and the characters while coming up with a plot that makes a good movie script should be a lot easier than turning a full novel into a movie. And since it basically plays in rural Central Europe plus monsters, it would be relatively cheap in production.

It exists, and it is terrible.
EDIT- I have, in my computer, scripts I've written for a two season series for the Third Law trilogy and Best Served Cold. They would be awesome, filmed.

JCarter426
2012-06-27, 01:27 PM
I really want a Doctor Who RPG (the kind with fancy graphics). I know I'm not alone in this, either.

I also have plans for a Foundation TV series or miniseries; unlike the film trilogy that keeps getting stuck in development hell, it wouldn't skip half the story just to focus on the Mule.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-06-27, 02:12 PM
Animorph anime would be so awesome.

Thirded. The series could work really well as an anime.

The Nth Doctor
2012-06-27, 02:26 PM
A big budget Black Compnay movie would be amazing. Lots of magic and warfare.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-01, 02:56 PM
Eh. What I'd like so see is...

A live action Soul Eater (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/SoulEater?from=Main.SoulEater) adaptation directed by Tim Burton. Because, really, I'm pretty sure it would be great, since it already fits Burton's style...

Seerow
2012-07-01, 04:41 PM
There's three that I would really like to see. In order:

1) Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson)

I love the series, and think it would be great to see brought to life. Due to the flashiness involved, and the sheer length of the series though, this would almost certainly need to be animated. I simply can't imagine getting anyone interested in working on a 14+ year long project. With an animated series, the investment is less, and you can change out people with less of a disruptive effect.

2) Magician (Raymond E Feist)

No interest in seeing the whole Midkemia series, or even the entire Riftwar Saga (though that wouldn't be terrible), but I think Magician would do really well as a movie Trilogy.

3) Animorphs

This one's been covered in depth above. Personally I would hope for a LOT of rewriting, because a lot of the love for the series comes from nostalgia filters, and a direct port of the series as written would cause a lot of facepalming even from fans. But a good adaptation would be nice.

Traab
2012-07-01, 08:50 PM
I agree with the monster hunter idea, that would kick 20 times the ass of so many other movies out there, its every monster movie rolled into one, with a kick ass accountant cleaning house. :p The belgariad im not so sure of, its a very LONG series to turn into a movie set. A trilogy is one thing, but thats 5 books, and im not sure you could mash them together into three titles or less without losing important stuff. It would be a cool story, im just not sure if a quintet format would work.

Speaking of quintets. If they DID work, the Cleric Quintet would be awesome beyond belief. Cadderly, the genius scribe/priest keeps getting swept up in increasing levels of danger, watch him as he grows from inventor of interesting trinkets and weapons, to powerful priest, as he fights evil wizards, necromancers, vile undead, cultists, dragons, monster armies, and vampires. With his faithful companion/love interest Danica, the slender and beautiful monk that can shatter stone with her face, and cut apart giants with her daggers, and the two dwarven brothers, ivan and pikel by his side, the adventures will never end!

2) Magician (Raymond E Feist)

No interest in seeing the whole Midkemia series, or even the entire Riftwar Saga (though that wouldn't be terrible), but I think Magician would do really well as a movie Trilogy.

You know which of that worlds series would make for an awesome set of movies? The serpentwar saga. Too bad it would be hard to setup without the buttloads of backstory that proceeds it. Eric and Roo, and the adventures they get swept up in.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-01, 09:11 PM
Good Omens would make for a hilarious movie, if you could avoid the inevitable Dogma comparisons uninformed people will make.

Eldan
2012-07-02, 05:38 AM

I was just thinking that exact same thing. I came to this thread to suggest it.

Also, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Good Omens would make for a hilarious movie, if you could avoid the inevitable Dogma comparisons uninformed people will make.

I think I remember reading about that, actually. They have Hugh Laurie and STephen Fry as Aziraphale and Crowley.

Mr.Silver
2012-07-02, 05:53 AM
To be honest, I'd rather see more original films/TV/Animation stuff than just having it adapt from different story-based medium. While there are a lot of good and even great works that could make for good adaptations, the thing is they already exist in a good form.
For something like this to really work you'd either need the adaptation to substantially improve on the original work (which would imply the original may not be particularly great) or have it be more of an original story set in an established universe (prequels, or spin-offs from the original media could also work here, although not direct sequels). Unfortunately I can't think of any particular setting/franchise that would benefit from this at the moment.

While it would be fairly easy to film, the potential problem is that JS&MN is slow-paced, long and not all that much actually happens through most of it. It certainly works as a book, but that might well present problems for other media, even ignoring the footnotes that make up quite a considerable portion of the text.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-02, 10:04 AM
I think I remember reading about that, actually. They have Hugh Laurie and STephen Fry as Aziraphale and Crowley.

According to Wikipedia, the original plans were Johnny Depp as Crowley and Robin Williams as Aziraphale, but that was almost 10 years ago and never came to fruition.

Eldan
2012-07-02, 11:29 AM
According to Wikipedia, the original plans were Johnny Depp as Crowley and Robin Williams as Aziraphale, but that was almost 10 years ago and never came to fruition.

It was a fairly recent newspaper article. Less than a year ago, I think. Let me see if I can find it again.

Gnoman
2012-07-02, 11:36 AM
There's three that I would really like to see. In order:

1) Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson)

I love the series, and think it would be great to see brought to life. Due to the flashiness involved, and the sheer length of the series though, this would almost certainly need to be animated. I simply can't imagine getting anyone interested in working on a 14+ year long project. With an animated series, the investment is less, and you can change out people with less of a disruptive effect.

Done as a TV series, it wouldn't take that long. For one thing, Jordan's writing style tends toward very wordy descriptions, so a huge chunk of each book would be eliminated in an adaptation, as the sets or costumes would show the thing, rather than telling you what it looks like. For another, a visual media could make better use of scene-switching than the books do, in the same way that the LOTR films did.

Seerow
2012-07-02, 02:55 PM
You know which of that worlds series would make for an awesome set of movies? The serpentwar saga. Too bad it would be hard to setup without the buttloads of backstory that proceeds it. Eric and Roo, and the adventures they get swept up in.

It really depends on what you're going for. If you're going for high epic fantasy, Magician I feel really fits the bill better. Eric and Roo's story to me felt a lot more down to earth. It was much better in some ways (and is among my favorite of Feist's works), and includes Nakor which is a huge plus, but I think Magician would make the better movies.

As an aside, it occurs to me that one of my favorite things from Magician was the siege of Armengar, and if limited to just Magician, we'd never see that.

Done as a TV series, it wouldn't take that long. For one thing, Jordan's writing style tends toward very wordy descriptions, so a huge chunk of each book would be eliminated in an adaptation, as the sets or costumes would show the thing, rather than telling you what it looks like. For another, a visual media could make better use of scene-switching than the books do, in the same way that the LOTR films did.

Well I was comparing in my head to the ASOIAF adaptation. GRRM is similar very wordy and descriptive, and the books are similar in length (maybe a bit longer on average), and they still had to cut huge amounts to make 1 book = 1 season.

I honestly can't imagine adapting Wheel of Time and not having at least up through Lords of Chaos as 1 book = 1 season. Then after that up until Knife of Dreams could probably use some condensation, but you'd probably turn like 5 books into 2-3 seasons. Then the last 3-4 books are all packed enough that they warrant a season of their own (though there would probably need to be some reshuffling. For example the Perrin/Mat timeline gets really out of whack in TGS, and most of ToM is spent getting them caught up).

Overall we're probably looking at at least 10 seasons of material, at a minimum. That's a long project to get anyone to work on. Probably the best way would be easing in, trying to do EotW as a stand alone at first, see what kind of feedback/following it gets, expand to 3 seasons from there, then just keep pushing for more. Either way, an animated feature would be much easier to keep consistent over that kind of timeline than a real life adaptation. It's hard to hold a consistent cast even for 2-3 seasons.

Gnoman
2012-07-02, 03:34 PM
Thing is, the books tend to be fairly repetitive, just so you can keep track of this subplot that was last mentioned 10,000 pages ago. A good adaptation would delete a lot of that, because cuts that would be jarring in print work much more naturally on screen. I doubt that most of them would be 1 book = 1 season after The Great Hunt, which is where things start to diverge. A trial run with Eye of The world would be an excellent idea, though.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-02, 03:39 PM
~Snip~

Use a different cast for each book! It's not like you need the same people to make a good show, afterall.

Archpaladin Zousha
2012-07-02, 06:59 PM
Lately I've become obsessed with Glen Cook's series, The Black Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company), and would like to see them do something with it like A Game of Thrones. Making movies would probably be inefficient given each book covers the span of months or even years in various military campaigns, but if you made each chapter or book into an episode of a TV show or something it'd work perfectly.

For some reason I imagine Liam Neeson being cast as Croaker, the narrator and protagonist for most of the books. *shrug*

Man on Fire
2012-07-02, 09:13 PM
Yeah, Black Company could work as TV Show, but I'm afraid that costs would kill it - series has much more magic that Song of Ice And Fire in form of very stange creatures (like flying whales, not to mention all bizarre monsters from Soldiers Live) and much more battles (at least compared to first season of Game of Thrones, which couldn't give us one battle). And of course there is Soulcatcher, which switch to different voice every two sentences - I can only imagine how much work would that be. Still, I would watch the hell out of that.

Other adaptations I would love to see:
Neil Gaiman's America's Gods and Anansi Boys
Neil Gaiman's and Terry Prachett's Good Omens
Inhumanoids - you don't even need to add gritty and explosions, it has it all.
Stephen King's The Eyes of The Dragon could work too.

Anime:
Asura's Wrath becoming true anime
Zetman anime adaptation that doesn't make me want to kill myself.
Devilman getting legit anime - Movies or TV series.

Seerow
2012-07-02, 10:33 PM
Thing is, the books tend to be fairly repetitive, just so you can keep track of this subplot that was last mentioned 10,000 pages ago. A good adaptation would delete a lot of that, because cuts that would be jarring in print work much more naturally on screen. I doubt that most of them would be 1 book = 1 season after The Great Hunt, which is where things start to diverge. A trial run with Eye of The world would be an excellent idea, though.

At minimum The Dragon Reborn would make a full season as well. The first three books were all reasonably self-contained and stand alone. I could see maybe combining TSR with TFOH, but given TSR is one of the longest books in the series, that would involve a whole lot of cutting. Lord of Chaos is packed with events happening non-stop, probably being one of the most eventful books of the series. It's only after that that the plot really slows down to a crawl and you can start gettings lots of condensing in. Like the whole supergirls search for the Bowl of Winds subplot, and Perrin looks for Faile subplot could both be reduced dramatically. But there's other areas where you would need extensive rewriting to seriously condense it. I just honestly don't see getting better than an average of 1.5 books per season (ending with 10 seasons) is really possible.

maximus25
2012-07-03, 05:31 AM
A D&D movie. :smallwink:

Green-Shirt Q
2012-07-03, 06:30 AM
A live action Pokémon movie. On the same scale as the Transformers movies (though not as crummy). I think that would be hilarious. But it would still be for kids. There are TONS of internet videos that explore what Pokémon would probably look like in a live action movie, and for the joke they make the story Grim-dark with the Pokémon dying or Ash being an alchoholic. I wanna see a kid's film. That's where the charm comes from.

Oh, and another Super Mario movie. Seeing as we already have a live action one, I think an animated one would be nice. Sure, maybe the first one wasn't exactly good, which is why they haven't tried again, but come on! That was back when the Mario Bros. barely developed a canon, with nothing known about what the heck anything was! Nowadays Mario has Super Mario RPG, The 3 Mario and Luigi games, The Paper Mario games, Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, and several other more story-based games to explore the setting of the games. And come on! He's the face of gaming with, like, a bajillion different games! If people are calling for an Uncharted movie, I think Mario has earned another chance at making it on the big screen.

Hopeless
2012-07-03, 06:43 AM
A crossover set in the Gene Anderson series!

Starts off with Captain Scarlet and one of the other captains trying to warn Cloud Base of a new Mysteron threat but is knocked off the bridge in a terrorist act by Captain Black.
A bystander calls in International Rescue and they send Thunderbird 4 down to investigate the car that was sunk and manage to rescue the drowning agent, however an ally of Captain Black goes after Thunderbird 4 and he being a former WASP calls in Stingray whilst evading his attacker resulting in the enemy being blown up but the Mysteron's restore their foe so Stingray ends up holding off this foe whilst the Thunderbird 4 operator alerts International Rescue of the real threat.

Jeff contacts Cloud Base but also asks Lady Penelope to help and she asks an old friend to lend a hand as he calls in Joe 90 using the engrams provided from the now comatose Captain and allied with Captain Scarlet and Captain Blue they prevent the latest Mysteron scheme but neither Blue nor Scarlet ever realise the kid they meet afterwards is Joe 90.

Haven't got far enough to think of what would pose a true threat to get them all involved but there's bound to be at least another series I've overlooked!

So animated not sure about cgi since I'd like a series develop from this what do you think?

Who would you cast for the Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stingray or Joe 90 cast?

SDF
2012-07-03, 06:56 AM
They really need to make a Biomega anime. It's important.

Arcane_Secrets
2012-07-03, 09:27 AM
A D&D movie. :smallwink:

...Oh, you meant a good D&D movie.

Obrysii
2012-07-03, 10:13 AM
I want to see a nice, plotting-paced anime adaptation of Dune. Perhaps with an older animation style. I'm thinking the older Gundam styling, with rich shadowing and that hand-drawn feel.

Make it a 52 episode series, so it has plenty of time to detail the plots; and plenty of time for amazing visuals.

Mr.Silver
2012-07-03, 01:39 PM
Who would you cast for the Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Stingray or Joe 90 cast?

Probably not anyone involved in this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167456/).

Eldan
2012-07-03, 02:42 PM
...Oh, you meant a good D&D movie.

It's called The Gamers.

Giegue
2012-07-03, 02:58 PM
An anime or cartoon series based on any or all of the mother games would be totally awesome. While I may be bias(just see my forum name) I think that those games are just so unique and wacky yet very deep and emotional that they would make an excellent cartoon or anime series. Heck, there are even videos of clips of what a Mother 3 anime would look like on youtube and watching them made me want a Mother anime even more. Too bad that if it existed it would probably never be ported out of Japan because Regiegiygas hates the mother series and anything related to it. :/

Also, another live action movie I'd like to see, as odd as this will sound, is something based on Naruto. However, I would NOT want to see it be based on the series as present. Mainly because Naruto is a series that is SO long that it would take FAR to many movies to cover it all...and actors grow up, after all.

However, what I WOULD like to see would be a live action Naruto film based on a time era and story that has been talked about in the manga but never shown. Madara vs. Hashirama and the whole Uchiha vs. Senju and rise of Konoha story would be the most likely candidate, since it is the most hyped and MANY Naruto fans long to see Madara vs. Hashirama, which would look absolutely gorgeous and epic on the big screen with CG Sussano' and Kyuubi and all that.

Sadly the film would need some OCs to keep the plot running(such as more senju and Uchiha of importance beyond Hashi, Madara and their little brothers.) but it could be VERY good if done right, and while it may not win any awards for a truely deep story, it WOULD be a very good action flick with a high enough budget and many jutsus would look truely wonderful if given CG treatment.

pita
2012-07-03, 03:00 PM
It's called The Gamers.

It's actually called The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising, but that's an understandable mistake.

Traab
2012-07-03, 04:07 PM
It really depends on what you're going for. If you're going for high epic fantasy, Magician I feel really fits the bill better. Eric and Roo's story to me felt a lot more down to earth. It was much better in some ways (and is among my favorite of Feist's works), and includes Nakor which is a huge plus, but I think Magician would make the better movies.

As an aside, it occurs to me that one of my favorite things from Magician was the siege of Armengar, and if limited to just Magician, we'd never see that.

Well I was comparing in my head to the ASOIAF adaptation. GRRM is similar very wordy and descriptive, and the books are similar in length (maybe a bit longer on average), and they still had to cut huge amounts to make 1 book = 1 season.

I honestly can't imagine adapting Wheel of Time and not having at least up through Lords of Chaos as 1 book = 1 season. Then after that up until Knife of Dreams could probably use some condensation, but you'd probably turn like 5 books into 2-3 seasons. Then the last 3-4 books are all packed enough that they warrant a season of their own (though there would probably need to be some reshuffling. For example the Perrin/Mat timeline gets really out of whack in TGS, and most of ToM is spent getting them caught up).

Overall we're probably looking at at least 10 seasons of material, at a minimum. That's a long project to get anyone to work on. Probably the best way would be easing in, trying to do EotW as a stand alone at first, see what kind of feedback/following it gets, expand to 3 seasons from there, then just keep pushing for more. Either way, an animated feature would be much easier to keep consistent over that kind of timeline than a real life adaptation. It's hard to hold a consistent cast even for 2-3 seasons.

Im not so sure, one of the biggest problems with the magician series was that it switched focus a lot. Especially the second book. You had Arutha and marten, you had pug/milamber, you had thomas, and it all took a long time to tie together. It worked well in the books, im not sure if a movie audience would enjoy watching a 2 hour movie split up into 3 different stories that dont tie in together for most of the film. On the other hand, if it DOES work out, you mentioned missing the seige of armengar? Depending on how popular the first two movies were, they could continue producing them as long as the popularity holds. After all, time does pass, often fairly significant time, between books, which allows for the younger actors to grow up and keep the role as they are now playing a mid 20s character instead of a 12-16 year old. Also, I have to agree, Nakor rocks. And I really want an orange now.

Seerow
2012-07-03, 04:35 PM
Im not so sure, one of the biggest problems with the magician series was that it switched focus a lot. Especially the second book. You had Arutha and marten, you had pug/milamber, you had thomas, and it all took a long time to tie together. It worked well in the books, im not sure if a movie audience would enjoy watching a 2 hour movie split up into 3 different stories that dont tie in together for most of the film. On the other hand, if it DOES work out, you mentioned missing the seige of armengar? Depending on how popular the first two movies were, they could continue producing them as long as the popularity holds. After all, time does pass, often fairly significant time, between books, which allows for the younger actors to grow up and keep the role as they are now playing a mid 20s character instead of a 12-16 year old. Also, I have to agree, Nakor rocks. And I really want an orange now.

I suppose you have a point that the stories don't really tie together much once they start separating. It does have the advantage that almost all of the characters start in Crydee, but it could be that with how the 3 different storylines separate it would be better as a tv-show. Not sure though, I mean Lord of the Rings did all right with the storyline being split in two after the first movie. Is adding a third too much juggling to handle? (The main things to follow are Arutha, Pug, and Thomas. Basically everything revolves around where those three are at any given time as far as I can remember)

Serpentine
2012-07-03, 07:40 PM
I'd love to see a live-action adaptation of Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, but you'd need to have an absolutely amazing leading child actress - you can make do with less-than-perfect on nearly anything in it, but if the lead actor is anything less than incredible it'll fail hard.

oblivion6
2012-07-03, 10:24 PM

i second this...however i would also like to see an adaptation of his sparhawk novels...as well as the redemption of althaeus(its a shame that lt was only a stand alone novel)

also, a rangers apprentice movie series perhaps

EDIT: also the cleric quintet by R.A Salvatore

Ravens_cry
2012-07-04, 12:03 AM
A good, faithful adaptation of a Wizard of Earthsea.

Hopeless
2012-07-04, 10:08 AM
How about an adaption of dungeons and dragons that actually involves both dungeons, dragons and a good script that involves Joss Whedon as pretty much everything is better when he's involved...

Man on Fire
2012-07-05, 07:38 PM
Adaptation of Brian Bendis' Sam & Twitch would be great.

Xondoure
2012-07-05, 07:57 PM
The Bartimaeus Trilogy needs to make it to film.

I'd love to see Artemis Fowl done well.

Oh! Tales of the Otori would be an absolutely incredible film series.

oblivion6
2012-07-05, 08:03 PM
I'd love to see Artemis Fowl done well.

oooh yes, i like that idea. i havent read the books in years. now i want to reread them again:smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-07-07, 12:45 AM
How about an adaption of dungeons and dragons that actually involves both dungeons, dragons and a good script that involves Joss Whedon as pretty much everything is better when he's involved...
As I've said before, I'd rather see a story set in a specific setting, even a default setting like Points of Light.
D&D without one is just so much boilerplate.

Pokonic
2012-07-07, 01:24 AM
Pterrys Small Gods, CGI or Live Action. Normaly, you would never get something like this in the form of a movie, but any adaption of his book's would be welcome. Also, it's mostly self-contained, so unlike most of the other Discworld novels there's a genuine excuse to make it a movie instead of a miniseries.

Empedocles
2012-07-07, 07:22 PM
As I've said before, I'd rather see a story set in a specific setting, even a default setting like Points of Light.
D&D without one is just so much boilerplate.

A high budget movie in Eberron could make quite the visual feast, no? :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2012-07-07, 07:30 PM
A high budget movie in Eberron could make quite the visual feast, no? :smalltongue:

Imagine two warforged wrestling on top of a lightning rail car, making their way into Sharn Central Station.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-07, 07:39 PM
Quite. Personally I'd make it purely animation as opposed to trying to shoehorn CGH warforged and real humans in the same scene.

Pokonic
2012-07-07, 07:53 PM
Quite. Personally I'd make it purely animation as opposed to trying to shoehorn CGH warforged and real humans in the same scene.

Indeed. Heck, think of a producers horror when the words "live action" and "dinosaur-riding small folk" come into play. :smalltongue:

Unfortunatly, I think I know of someone who would be interested in producing such a live-action film.

Michael Bay presents: Ebberon: Curse of the Mournland would consist of said area exploding for a half-hour, then would follow a group of boring humans for the better part of the movie, and then finish up with the Lord Of Blades fighting a Warforged ally, who shows up in the last fifteen minutes.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-07, 07:54 PM
If Bay can only make the Day of Mourning explode for half an hour, he's losing his touch.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-07, 08:09 PM
Indeed. Heck, think of a producers horror when the words "live action" and "dinosaur-riding small folk" come into play. :smalltongue:

Unfortunatly, I think I know of someone who would be interested in producing such a live-action film.

Michael Bay presents: Ebberon: Curse of the Mournland would consist of said area exploding for a half-hour, then would follow a group of boring humans for the better part of the movie, and then finish up with the Lord Of Blades fighting a Warforged ally, who shows up in the last fifteen minutes.

Don't forget the US Armed Forces Breland army showing up!

turkishproverb
2012-07-07, 08:11 PM
Giermo Del Toro helming an adaptation of Shotaro Ishinomori's The Skull Man.

Prime32
2012-07-07, 08:30 PM
If Bay can only make the Day of Mourning explode for half an hour, he's losing his touch.Nah, the rest of the movie is about Bay blowing up the Mournland. That half hour is about him blowing up a division of time. Do not underestimate Michael Bay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXRCf9LbLM0).

The Glyphstone
2012-07-07, 10:59 PM
Is that really Michael Bay? He looks....weirdly normal.

Pokonic
2012-07-07, 11:21 PM
Is that really Michael Bay? He looks....weirdly normal.

Scary, isn't it? In the dark ages, mothers would tell stories about people like him to frighten there young.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-08, 03:57 AM

Not just the producers horror. Acting to nothing is an extremely difficult art and rarely gets the best performances.
Liam Neeson is a fine actor, but just looking at his eyes it is obvious he is not in the same existence as Watto.
Bob Hoskins as Eddie Valiant did the best interactions with air I have ever seen and there was still moments where the illusion was lost.
Even with today's frankly amazing CGI, I think good traditional animation is often just so much better integrated than humans and computer graphics.

Zampanó
2012-07-08, 10:50 AM
The Abhorsen series would translate well, I believe. Special effects are more than developed enough to handle everything from charter stones to death.

Also, Artemis Fowl, please.

Yora
2012-07-08, 11:01 AM
Imagine two warforged wrestling on top of a lightning rail car, making their way into Sharn Central Station.
Air dropping from a flying ship.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg35/scaled.php?server=35&filename=64954006.jpg&res=landing

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 11:34 AM
Not just the producers horror. Acting to nothing is an extremely difficult art and rarely gets the best performances.
Liam Neeson is a fine actor, but just looking at his eyes it is obvious he is not in the same existence as Watto.
Bob Hoskins as Eddie Valiant did the best interactions with air I have ever seen and there was still moments where the illusion was lost.
Even with today's frankly amazing CGI, I think good traditional animation is often just so much better integrated than humans and computer graphics.

Eh, Warforged would probably be done with motion-capture, so the characters would still have someone to act to. The dinos would be trickier, admittedly, but you're not going to have halfling-ridden fleshrakers engaging in polite conversation too often...not that that wouldn't be an awesome premise in its own right.

Also, Yora's pic...exactly!:smallsmile:

Traab
2012-07-08, 11:40 AM
Eh, Warforged would probably be done with motion-capture, so the characters would still have someone to act to. The dinos would be trickier, admittedly, but you're not going to have halfling-ridden fleshrakers engaging in polite conversation too often...not that that wouldn't be an awesome premise in its own right.

Also, Yora's pic...exactly!:smallsmile:

So basically a movie of gollums? An actor is there, doing all his movements and such, saying the lines, then later on he is drawn in with cgi covering him and we have our warforged or whatever interacting with the real people like normal because it was a real person working with them.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-08, 04:37 PM
I think a Team Fortress Two movie would be pretty enjoyable. Yeah, I know it'd be a video game adaptation and those hardly ever are good, but watching the "Meet the ..." videos and if you get the right people it could turn out pretty good.

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 05:01 PM
So basically a movie of gollums? An actor is there, doing all his movements and such, saying the lines, then later on he is drawn in with cgi covering him and we have our warforged or whatever interacting with the real people like normal because it was a real person working with them.

Yup. Golems as gollums.

I'll get my coat.

Hopeless
2012-07-09, 06:39 AM
How about a series where the main cast are stranded in an unknown world and have to cope with surviving with whatever they're carrying and whats skills they know.
Have them eventually run into what they assume are other survivors but have as the climax for season 1 to revelation that they're actually a millennia or two in Earth's future after an unknown cataclysm has ended civilisationas they know it and they have no idea how they got here still!

And no not another Lost either!

Dr.Epic
2012-07-09, 10:04 AM
An adaptation of Wanted or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that's faithful to the source material.

Man on Fire
2012-07-09, 11:25 AM
You really want to see Eminem yelling into the camere "This is my face when I @#$% you in the a**!"?

Empedocles
2012-07-09, 01:00 PM

I disagree. As long as it had an absurd budget upwards of movies like Avatar or John Carter (because that went so well) it'd be perfectly fine! :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2012-07-09, 02:29 PM
I disagree. As long as it had an absurd budget upwards of movies like Avatar or John Carter (because that went so well) it'd be perfectly fine! :smalltongue:
That's just it, nothing as niche as a film based off a specific D&D setting is ever going to get the big budget treatment, and if it did, it would have to make so many compromises to the source material that it would be unwatchable.
Of course, I am somewhat biased, been a fan of the integration of traditional animation can achieve between the mundane and the fantastic.
Since everything is fake, everything feels more real.

Spinoza
2012-07-09, 02:52 PM
i second this...however i would also like to see an adaptation of his sparhawk novels...as well as the redemption of althaeus(its a shame that lt was only a stand alone novel)

also, a rangers apprentice movie series perhaps

EDIT: also the cleric quintet by R.A Salvatore

I have always thought the diamond throne series would fit very comfortably into the movie format. Here is hoping some director gives eddings stuff a shot.

I also think the comic Invincible would make a really good movie.

Perhaps bioshock or mass effect 3 storylines would make good movies

@Vilpich John Carter is a huge disappointment financially for the studio

JoeMac307
2012-07-09, 03:21 PM
a big-screen film adaptation of Neverwhere, with the book as source material not the tv series.

Neverwhere is awesome. I've been waiting for years to see this made into a movie.

I would probably have a pretty warm reception to people making a series of movies out of the Prydain Chronicles... or The Hero and the Crown.

I thought I was like the only person alive who ever heard of The Hero and the Crown. That and The Blue Sword basically teamed up with OD&D and The Chronicles of Narnia when I was 8 years old to make me a lifelong fantasy fan.

I really dig Good Omens... I am not 100% convinced that the humor would translate to the big screen though. I fear we would get another Hitchhiker's Guide...

I love, love, love, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell... but I just don't think it would translate to another medium too well. Just my opinion, though.

I think a Joss Whedon Dragonlance Chronicles could be badass. I think he could write the hell out of Kitiara, Goldmoon, and Laurana.

Gnoman
2012-07-09, 03:40 PM
That's just it, nothing as niche as a film based off a specific D&D setting is ever going to get the big budget treatment, and if it did, it would have to make so many compromises to the source material that it would be unwatchable.
Of course, I am somewhat biased, been a fan of the integration of traditional animation can achieve between the mundane and the fantastic.
Since everything is fake, everything feels more real.

Not really. Nowadays, you can draw quite a lot of people with no knowledge of the source material, as long as you have flashy swordplay or pretty explosions in the trailer. A typical D&D setting would have that easily, and have a fairly solid core fanbase to draw on. Niche is actually pretty good in today's market.

Pokonic
2012-07-09, 03:48 PM
I really dig Good Omens... I am not 100% convinced that the humor would translate to the big screen though. I fear we would get another Hitchhiker's Guide...

I would just worry about the many POV's. Somewhere in there, one of the main ones would be shafted.

Jaros
2012-07-09, 05:34 PM
I would just worry about the many POV's. Somewhere in there, one of the main ones would be shafted.

I think something like that would be better suited to a TV miniseries. Like Hitchhikers Guide

Dr.Epic
2012-07-09, 07:29 PM
A sequel to Kick-Ass. Seriously, why hasn't that been made yet?

tensai_oni
2012-07-09, 07:36 PM
Anime adaptation of the Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/TheLuciferAndBiscuitHammer).

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-09, 08:24 PM
You really want to see Eminem yelling into the camere "This is my face when I @#$% you in the a**!"?

This. Exactly this.

Personally, what I would like to see is an anime or manga adaptation of Shadow Hearts. Honestly, I'd just like to see...anything related to that franchise if it was done well.

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-09, 08:26 PM
EDITED: That originally ended up a double post.

Traab
2012-07-09, 10:30 PM
Not really. Nowadays, you can draw quite a lot of people with no knowledge of the source material, as long as you have flashy swordplay or pretty explosions in the trailer. A typical D&D setting would have that easily, and have a fairly solid core fanbase to draw on. Niche is actually pretty good in today's market.

You dont even have to mention it prominently. Instead of targeting it at the D&D crowd by mentioning its a live action movie of a specific campaign, let the details of the trailers spell it out for the gamer fans, with a small D&D logo for the copyright issues while those of us who wouldnt recognize it, can just enjoy it as an interesting different fantasy world for a story to take place in without some sort of strange "nerd" stigma associated with it.

Lets face it, trumpeting its connection to D&D would likely cause more damage than its worth, considering the way the last movie went, especially when combined with an almost instinctive nose crinkle when they figure, "Eww, its some game turned into a movie, like battleship or something." Downplay the fact that its a D&D campaign, and play up the rich details of this strange new world.

Senator Cybus
2012-07-09, 10:55 PM
Planescape: Torment!

Planescape: Torment!!

Planescape: Torment!!!

That is all. :smallsmile:

Man on Fire
2012-07-10, 03:30 AM
A sequel to Kick-Ass. Seriously, why hasn't that been made yet?

Because comics features a scene of Red Mist raping a girl while saying "It's time to see what an evil d**k tastes like".

Hopeless
2012-07-10, 05:15 AM
I have always thought the diamond throne series would fit very comfortably into the movie format. Here is hoping some director gives eddings stuff a shot.

I also think the comic Invincible would make a really good movie.

Perhaps bioshock or mass effect 3 storylines would make good movies

Ooh Sparhawk!!!
Now thats a series I'd love to see hit the screens whether big or small either would be great!
However is there anyone who could play Sparhawk, live action?
He isn't supposed to be actually handsome but charismatic from what I can recall, can't see Hollywood keeping themselves from twilighting it!:smallwink:

And yes I'd like to see Invincible get its Amazing Spiderman chance!
Given it would have to include effectively Superman killing the rest of the Justice League except for an immortal Abraham Lincoln might raise a few eyebrows!:smalleek:

I wonder if they turned John Carter into an animated tv series if it would have been better received since I heard it wasn't advertised properly?

JoeMac307
2012-07-10, 08:56 AM
Because comics features a scene of Red Mist raping a girl while saying "It's time to see what an evil d**k tastes like".

Is that true? I could believe that. Millar is a hack. A terrible, terrible hack.

Man on Fire
2012-07-10, 12:20 PM
Is that true? I could believe that. Millar is a hack. A terrible, terrible hack.

See for yourself (http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-mark-millar-john-romita-jrs-kick-ass.html)

JoeMac307
2012-07-10, 12:39 PM
See for yourself (http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/2011/10/on-mark-millar-john-romita-jrs-kick-ass.html)

What really depresses me is that John Romita Jr is the artist. The dude is super talented, and yet he still produces this... abomination? Sad. Awful. Terrible.

Traab
2012-07-10, 10:39 PM
Ooh Sparhawk!!!
Now thats a series I'd love to see hit the screens whether big or small either would be great!
However is there anyone who could play Sparhawk, live action?
He isn't supposed to be actually handsome but charismatic from what I can recall, can't see Hollywood keeping themselves from twilighting it!:smallwink:

And yes I'd like to see Invincible get its Amazing Spiderman chance!
Given it would have to include effectively Superman killing the rest of the Justice League except for an immortal Abraham Lincoln might raise a few eyebrows!:smalleek:

I wonder if they turned John Carter into an animated tv series if it would have been better received since I heard it wasn't advertised properly?

Considering sparhawk will generally be in either full plate of heavy chain armor, we wont need a bodybuilder type or expert martial artist to fit the physical profile, but im honestly thinking russel crowe. He has the rough and ready face for it, and going by gladiator movie, he can pull off the charismatic leader role too. Im wondering who would play sephrina or ehlana. Ehlana at the least is also very charismatic and given to oration and big pulse thumping speeches, but she is also very delicate and beautiful in appearance, as well as only being what, like 20? She is very young when compared to sparhawk at least. Who could fit into that role?

oblivion6
2012-07-10, 10:48 PM
i have no idea who could play ehlana and sepherina. heres to hoping hollywood is watching this thread and taking notes:smalltongue:

Empedocles
2012-07-11, 01:51 AM

I know... :smallconfused:

Hopeless
2012-07-12, 02:59 AM
i have no idea who could play ehlana and sepherina. heres to hoping hollywood is watching this thread and taking notes:smalltongue:

Charlize Theron could probably pull off Sepherina, but no way absolutely no way can Kristen Stewart get remotely close to Ehlana!!!

Game of Thrones might have a couple of actresses who could pull this off anyone remember if Ehlana is blonde or brunette?

oblivion6
2012-07-12, 03:27 AM
ehlana is blond

Man on Fire
2012-07-12, 03:32 AM
Hair color doesn't matter, actress may just change it.

Hopeless
2012-07-12, 04:53 AM
ehlana is blond

How about the one playing the child queen with the dragons from Game of Thrones?

Spinoza
2012-07-12, 02:36 PM
Considering sparhawk will generally be in either full plate of heavy chain armor, we wont need a bodybuilder type or expert martial artist to fit the physical profile, but im honestly thinking russel crowe. He has the rough and ready face for it, and going by gladiator movie, he can pull off the charismatic leader role too. Im wondering who would play sephrina or ehlana. Ehlana at the least is also very charismatic and given to oration and big pulse thumping speeches, but she is also very delicate and beautiful in appearance, as well as only being what, like 20? She is very young when compared to sparhawk at least. Who could fit into that role?

Sparhawk is suppose to be a big intimidating figure. I was actually thinking Dwayne Johnson (Yes that's right the ROCK) could make a decent Sparhawk. Has a built in audience brings star power to the movie..yada..yada..yada. For me getting the banter between the knights done well would be key.

IthilanorStPete
2012-07-12, 04:25 PM
The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Amazing, cinematic action, a magic system that should translate fairly well to screen, and a generally good story all around. Plus, you could punch up some of the weaker parts of Sanderson's writing. (Due to him being a relatively inexperienced author at the time)

Oh gods yes. Best part of Perdido Street Station was all the different, bizarre creatures...I'd love to see what del Toro could do with that.

pffh
2012-07-12, 04:28 PM

And I'm saddened by that since I liked the movie and would have liked to see more.

Traab
2012-07-12, 04:42 PM
Sparhawk is suppose to be a big intimidating figure. I was actually thinking Dwayne Johnson (Yes that's right the ROCK) could make a decent Sparhawk. Has a built in audience brings star power to the movie..yada..yada..yada. For me getting the banter between the knights done well would be key.

Yeah but, dwayne would need a good amount of makeup to ugly him up a bit. And honestly, Tynian is the huge shouldered musclebound fellow who tends to be chatty, smiles alot, etc etc etc. I think Dwayne would do a better job in that role. Sparhawk tends to be more gruff and quiet than banter filled, though he does have a few good taunts here and there. Honestly, I think of him as a lot like Gladiator, which is why I suggested Crowe.

JoeMac307
2012-07-12, 09:11 PM
I hear they are adapting Ender's Game to a movie... Do you think it will be any good?

Other things I would like to see adapted:

The Joe Pitt Casebooks by Charlie Huston, maybe as an HBO or Showtime mini-series

The Magicians by Lev Grossman as a movie

A TV show featuring the Grey Hulk

Supernatural as a movie to cap off the show

The Glyphstone
2012-07-12, 09:26 PM
I hear they are adapting Ender's Game to a movie... Do you think it will be any good?
]

Doubtful. At best, it'll be a genericized coming-of-age story set in a futuristic space school for soldiers (who will all be aged up to 18+, to avoid the legal issues and challenge of casting large numbers of sub-18 actor/actresses), a romance subplot with Petra, and ham-handed use of the tagline 'the enemy's gate is down'.

And that's the best-case scenario. There was, at one point, consideration of recasting Col. Graff as a woman...Card wanted Rosie O'Donnell.

Seerow
2012-07-12, 11:41 PM
Doubtful. At best, it'll be a genericized coming-of-age story set in a futuristic space school for soldiers (who will all be aged up to 18+, to avoid the legal issues and challenge of casting large numbers of sub-18 actor/actresses), a romance subplot with Petra, and ham-handed use of the tagline 'the enemy's gate is down'.

And that's the best-case scenario. There was, at one point, consideration of recasting Col. Graff as a woman...Card wanted Rosie O'Donnell.

Please tell me that's some sort of sick joke :smallconfused:

Logic
2012-07-12, 11:49 PM

As far as I know, this is legit. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/)

Man on Fire
2012-07-13, 07:32 AM
Adaptation we will never see - faithful adaptation of Warren Ellis' Black Summer.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-13, 07:43 AM

Nope. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game_%28film%29)

Harrison Ford is Graff, at least, so that bullet got dodged.

JoeMac307
2012-07-13, 08:23 AM
According to HSX.com, Ender's Game has a release date of Nov 1, 2013. Its MovieStock is currently selling at $134.35 (which means the market is currently predicting it will gross $134.35 million dollars at the box office in its first four weekends).

Spinoza
2012-07-13, 09:23 AM
Yeah but, dwayne would need a good amount of makeup to ugly him up a bit. And honestly, Tynian is the huge shouldered musclebound fellow who tends to be chatty, smiles alot, etc etc etc. I think Dwayne would do a better job in that role. Sparhawk tends to be more gruff and quiet than banter filled, though he does have a few good taunts here and there. Honestly, I think of him as a lot like Gladiator, which is why I suggested Crowe.

I agree that I think Crowe would be a good Sparhawk of course he is a fantastic actor. I don't think Dwayne is all that pretty but I'm probably not all that good of a judge of that kind of thing. As for the knights I do think of them as bigger...Tynian would be 'Big Show' size.

Seerow
2012-07-13, 10:24 AM
As far as I know, this is legit. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/)

I was referring more to the Rosie O Donnel as Commander Graff thing. Guess I should have been more specific.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-13, 10:30 AM
I was referring more to the Rosie O Donnel as Commander Graff thing. Guess I should have been more specific.

Here's the actual interview (http://hatrack.com/research/interviews/1998-scott-nicholson.shtml) where it's mentioned. Note that this was 14 years ago, and the current draft has Harrison Ford in the role instead.

Traab
2012-07-13, 10:41 AM
I agree that I think Crowe would be a good Sparhawk of course he is a fantastic actor. I don't think Dwayne is all that pretty but I'm probably not all that good of a judge of that kind of thing. As for the knights I do think of them as bigger...Tynian would be 'Big Show' size.

Heh, pretty was the wrong word, but even as a hetero male I can admit the man has a charming grin. If he WAS in this movie, thats why i would place him in the role of tynian. He was a large, big shouldered man, who grins a lot, talks even more, and can kick a lot of butt in a fight. As for Big Show, I put him as Ulath. Why? Because he doesnt talk too much, and big show hasnt really had a chance to act in a movie I dont think, so it would be best to tip his toe in carefully instead of giving him the role of a chatty prankster type who likes to tell whopper stories about himself. Also, I picture Big Show as doing a better job playing the big, hulking, taciturn warrior who can cut you in half from crown to navel with his axe. The problem with placing all these big wrestlers would be keeping Crowe from being dwarfed. I mean, Sparhawk is the main character, and he is basically the supreme warrior of the group. I think it was spelled out something like, "Amongst the millitant orders, the pandions were acknowledged as the greatest warriors, and amongst the pandions Sparhawk stood supreme." Or something to that effect. It wouldnt look right if he was dwarfed by the warriors around him.

Seerow
2012-07-13, 10:51 AM
Here's the actual interview (http://hatrack.com/research/interviews/1998-scott-nicholson.shtml) where it's mentioned. Note that this was 14 years ago, and the current draft has Harrison Ford in the role instead.

Well I'm glad that got reverted. Though I have to admit, Will Smith as Rackham would have been pretty amazing to watch.

Edit: Also it looks like he comprimised on the age thing. In the interview he said he wouldn't talk to anyone until they were willing to go with Ender and co under age 12. I believe the actor they wound up going with is currently 14 (imdb said 1998 birthday). Though I guess he could be passed off as younger.

JoeMac307
2012-07-13, 10:54 AM
Do you necessarily need to cast really tall actors to play really tall characters? If you can cast John Rhys-Davies (who is 6' 1" according to wikipedia) as a dwarf, and make him look as short a dwarf, then there must be ways to achieve the opposite effect? Sure, the actor should have a large frame to play Tynian, but he doesn't necessarily have to be as tall as the Big Show.

pita
2012-07-15, 02:16 PM
The Ender's Game adaptation, cast-wise, is perfect. I can't wait to see how they mess it up.

Maxios
2012-07-15, 02:21 PM
A Fallout 3 show on HBO. If it's done right, it would be pure awesome. If it's done bad, I would be depressed for a long time.

Man on Fire
2012-07-15, 02:24 PM
Not before they'll make Fallout 1 and 2.

Logic
2012-07-15, 04:58 PM
A Fallout 3 show on HBO. If it's done right, it would be pure awesome. If it's done bad, I would be depressed for a long time.

Not before they'll make Fallout 1 and 2.
A licensed show in the Fallout World would be better than a simple adaptation of one of the games.

Jaros
2012-07-15, 06:42 PM
A licensed show in the Fallout World would be better than a simple adaptation of one of the games.

This. New vault, new wasteland, new (and old) factions.

Logic
2012-07-16, 04:38 PM
This. New vault, new wasteland, new (and old) factions.

I would love to see a "Fallout Show" centered on Carbon, Texas. Said show could be far enough away from the rest of the Fallout games (excepting Brotherhood of Steel, which is not Canon anyway) and it could use some of the backstory and characters that were used for BoS.

However, the whimsy of Fallout makes a much better game than it ever will a TV show or movie.

The same can easily be said of Half-Life, Portal, (just about anything Valve has made) and several other properties of Bethesda.

Empedocles
2012-07-16, 08:30 PM

This, although the cast of children doesn't look that bad. Ender is being played by the kid from Hugo, which was very, very good.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-17, 02:47 AM
Ooooh, I know one!

A Tsukihime anime! It would be so badass!

I'd hope they wouldn't cut out Nanaya mode, and keep the character designs the same! It's be epic to see the fights animated!

Man on Fire
2012-07-17, 05:19 AM
Ooooh, I know one!

A Tsukihime anime! It would be so badass!

I'd hope they wouldn't cut out Nanaya mode, and keep the character designs the same! It's be epic to see the fights animated!

It's always nice to see fans in denial.

The-Mage-King
2012-07-17, 10:35 PM
It's always nice to see fans in denial.

Hm? What do you mean, denial?

There is no Tsukihime anime.

An Enemy Spy
2012-07-17, 11:06 PM
A live action Captain Underpants. Unfortunately, I think the topics brought up will be too controversial for audiences to handle. Truly a work ahead of its time!

An Enemy Spy
2012-07-17, 11:09 PM

Petra can't be with Ender! She marries Bean! And Peter I guess, but who cares about him?

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-07-18, 01:42 AM

Oh yeah. You mean this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iq8swQ7kpg)? It's not my thing, but my Fallout-fan friends all like it.

Man on Fire
2012-07-18, 02:35 AM
Hm? What do you mean, denial?

There is no Tsukihime anime.

Of course there isn't, just like there is no Zetman anime.

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-18, 02:56 AM
Other things I would like to see adapted:

The Joe Pitt Casebooks by Charlie Huston, maybe as an HBO or Showtime mini-series

The Magicians by Lev Grossman as a movie

A TV show featuring the Grey Hulk

Supernatural as a movie to cap off the show

I like to see The Magicians mentioned, as I really enjoyed the book, but I'm a very emotional person at this time in my life and God was it depressing. I could barely finish it. Given just how very much the book affected me, I think...they would be really hard pressed to make a movie that did the same thing. I get the feeling Hollywood would end up giving it something like some kind of happy (maybe happier at least) ending or making Quentin not a complete s^!# head. My guess is they would end up making it PG13 and at the very least cut out all the alcohol and drugs.

But it would be so cool to see "The Beast" on the big screen. Just thinking about the descriptions of him gives me chills.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-18, 08:04 AM
Petra can't be with Ender! She marries Bean! And Peter I guess, but who cares about him?

Yeah, but they'll cut both of those characters anyways, because multiple male protagonists would confuse the audience. Yes, I read the cast page. No, this isn't true. It's still Hollywood Logic (TM).

JoeMac307
2012-07-18, 11:30 AM
I like to see The Magicians mentioned, as I really enjoyed the book, but I'm a very emotional person at this time in my life and God was it depressing. I could barely finish it. Given just how very much the book affected me, I think...they would be really hard pressed to make a movie that did the same thing. I get the feeling Hollywood would end up giving it something like some kind of happy (maybe happier at least) ending or making Quentin not a complete s^!# head. My guess is they would end up making it PG13 and at the very least cut out all the alcohol and drugs.

But it would be so cool to see "The Beast" on the big screen. Just thinking about the descriptions of him gives me chills.

Lev's follow up novel, The Magician King, may be even more depressing than The Magicians. :smalleek:

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-19, 12:56 AM
Lev's follow up novel, The Magician King, may be even more depressing than The Magicians. :smalleek:

That's why I haven't bought and read it yet. The friend who recommended it explained the second one in a way that was trying to make me more willing to read it, but the first one just left me so miserable that I'm scared to pick up the second one.

An Enemy Spy
2012-07-19, 01:51 AM
Yeah, but they'll cut both of those characters anyways, because multiple male protagonists would confuse the audience. Yes, I read the cast page. No, this isn't true. It's still Hollywood Logic (TM).

They'll probably take the part where Bean has partial African geneology and make him a jive talking black stereotype.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-19, 09:48 AM
They'll probably take the part where Bean has partial African geneology and make him a jive talking black stereotype.

Or see that he's short and decide dwarf = comic relief.

Man on Fire
2012-07-19, 09:52 AM
How large creative control Card has on the movie?

Brother Oni
2012-07-19, 05:19 PM
A lot of suggestions on books and games being turned into films or TV series, how about the other way round? What book or film would you like to see turned into a game?

I wouldn't mind an ARPG wuxia styled game, something along the lines of Assassin's Creed, but with more fantasy elements in it.

Alternately an open world pirate game, essentially Skyrim on a boat with more followers.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-19, 06:03 PM
How large creative control Card has on the movie?

Minimizing Card's creative control might not be a bad thing. Remember that it was his idea to recast Col. Graff as a woman so that Rosie O'Donnel or Janine Garafolo could play the part.

IthilanorStPete
2012-07-19, 06:38 PM
Minimizing Card's creative control might not be a bad thing. Remember that it was his idea to recast Col. Graff as a woman so that Rosie O'Donnel or Janine Garafolo could play the part.

Yeah. Card's written some very good books, but I haven't exactly been impressed by his consistency, or lack thereof.

Traab
2012-07-19, 07:06 PM
A lot of suggestions on books and games being turned into films or TV series, how about the other way round? What book or film would you like to see turned into a game?

I wouldn't mind an ARPG wuxia styled game, something along the lines of Assassin's Creed, but with more fantasy elements in it.

Alternately an open world pirate game, essentially Skyrim on a boat with more followers.

Battleship. I would LOVE to see that film turned into a game.

On a more serious note, I would like to see a Monster Hunters International game. Set it up with a free roaming world and make it a hunting style game. You pick up bounty requests, "Oh, the chupacabra herds are migrating through the downtown mini mall, go kill a dozen of them to collect the bounty." Give it a multiplayer option where its a race between hunter teams to take down the monsters before the other team does. The side with the biggest bounty total at the end wins. Add in a solid AI with a scaling level of danger depending on what you are fighting. A basic zombie is as boring and easy to kill as any shambler could be. A vampire however is a really dangerous thing to pick a fight with. Use money from bounties to upgrade your gear.

Brother Oni
2012-07-20, 06:24 AM
On a more serious note, I would like to see a Monster Hunters International game.

To build a little on your idea, maybe a survival horror game based on the The SCP Foundation (http://www.scp-wiki.net/), although someone appears to be doing that at the moment: link (http://scpcb.wordpress.com/).

Alternately, a Monster Hunters International game in the style of Monster Hunter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_hunter)?

Traab
2012-07-20, 09:53 AM
As a further expansion on the idea, it could have a single player story mode, where you are the team leader getting sent out on standard missions to collect bounties when you start stumbling across yet another world ending plot. Similar to games like The Godfather, as you level up you get to choose what areas you want to improve in. Things like say, extra health, higher skill (more damage/accuracy) with weapons, increased spot checks so you dont get ambushed as easily, whatever. Also you can buy new guns, better armor, etc etc etc.

The multiplayer mode has plenty of maps like in games such as call of duty, with different terrain, monsters, and bounties to collect. I say to split the difference, we have some servers be hardcore pvp where you can choose to go after the other team, but you can only die once per game, and others where its a race to see who can collect the most but you cant attack each other.

*EDIT* Its less survival horror, and more hunt/kill/destroy, so its not much like that video clip you posted. Its strategy based, as each bounty has its own behavior, strengths, and weaknesses you will have to figure out. You cant just run in guns blazing and expect to get out alive, at least, not against the mid to high end stuff. The brainless stuff sure, if you want you could do it and survive, but you dont want to get up close and personal with a pack of werewolves, or a newbie vampire.

Man on Fire
2012-07-20, 11:10 AM
How about animated, direct to DVD movie based on JLA/Avengers?

Serpentine
2012-07-20, 01:27 PM
A lot of suggestions on books and games being turned into films or TV series, how about the other way round? What book or film would you like to see turned into a game?Sorry to be boring, but an Animorphs game could potentially be pretty fun. Not quite sure how it'd work, but still... If we're going into other adaptations, moreover, how about an Animorphs D&D module? I think it'd make an interesting mix of intrigue (who's a controller? Who can we trust?) and hack'n'slash (kill all the hork-bajir!). I'd be almost tempted to try writing it myself...

Also, how about a Supernatural RPG? Maybe... maybe something somewhere between Neverwinter Nights and Fallout?

Man on Fire
2012-08-01, 08:00 AM
Some new from me:

"Fables" and "Hellblazer" as two live-action TV shows. And Metabarons as the movie or TV series.

Spinoza
2012-08-01, 12:55 PM
Book to game...hmmmmm

XBLA or PS3+ should do something similar to the concept of the game from Piers Anthony Aprentice Adept series.

Logic
2012-08-01, 05:25 PM
Sorry to be boring, but an Animorphs game could potentially be pretty fun. Not quite sure how it'd work, but still... If we're going into other adaptations, moreover, how about an Animorphs D&D module? I think it'd make an interesting mix of intrigue (who's a controller? Who can we trust?) and hack'n'slash (kill all the hork-bajir!). I'd be almost tempted to try writing it myself...

Also, how about a Supernatural RPG? Maybe... maybe something somewhere between Neverwinter Nights and Fallout?

You always suggest Animorphs, for just about everything. I think someone may be obsessed. :smallwink: (Though, it also means I may have to give them a try.)

Serpentine
2012-08-01, 11:08 PM
You always suggest Animorphs, for just about everything. I think someone may be obsessed. :smallwink: (Though, it also means I may have to give them a try.)It's not my fault they're always relevant...
it's more the themes and creatures and stuff that makes it great. It'd be a lot better if it got a big do-over, improving some of the writing and getting rid of the redundant bits.

BlackBart
2012-08-02, 12:10 AM
I would love to see Stephen King's The Dark Tower series as a mini series. If it was done as a movie it would have to be Harry Potter style because each book is just way too massive for any of them to be condensed together.

They already technically started it but I'd also like to see the rest of A Series of Unfortunate Events done. The first one was a pretty fun movie and I'm sad they never continued on.

Serpentine
2012-08-02, 03:58 PM
I would love to see Stephen King's The Dark Tower series as a mini series. If it was done as a movie it would have to be Harry Potter style because each book is just way too massive for any of them to be condensed together.There was talk, a while ago, of doing The Dark Tower as a TV series with the seasons bridged with full-length movies - so for example, I think, The Gunslinger would be a TV season, with the flashbackyness of Wizard and Glass as a movie, or something like that. I'm heartbroken that that idea has fallen through, not just because I would've loved to see it, but because I think it could've been an incredible model for future adaptations.
Here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/)'s all that remains of it :smallfrown:

Aran nu tasar
2012-08-04, 02:36 PM
Well, I'd love to see an adaptation of Good Omens... Oh wait! (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/neil-gaiman-talks-upcoming-good-omens-mini-series)
And American Gods would also make a decent miniseries... Oh look. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/22/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo)
It might be cool if Peter Jackson made a movie of some of the stuff in the RoTK Appendices... which he is basically doing with the Hobbit.
And an adaptation of Wodehouse's Jeeves-- Oh. right.

Yeah, I'm pretty content for now.

oblivion6
2012-08-04, 06:37 PM
i want someone to make more percy jackson and the olympian movies. love the books and the 1st movie

Logic
2012-08-04, 10:50 PM
i want someone to make more percy jackson and the olympian movies. love the books and the 1st movie

That first movie was terrible. Wooden acting, unlikeable characters, child-like plots---I guess I was expecting a movie more of the quality of the 4th Harry Potter or better.

oblivion6
2012-08-05, 03:43 AM
That first movie was terrible. Wooden acting, unlikeable characters, child-like plots---I guess I was expecting a movie more of the quality of the 4th Harry Potter or better.

theirs plenty of likeable characters and you cant blame the movie for the childish plots since its based off a book...of course the book is the only reason i feel obliged to defend it

Man on Fire
2012-08-05, 05:22 AM
Well, I'd love to see an adaptation of Good Omens... Oh wait! (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/neil-gaiman-talks-upcoming-good-omens-mini-series)
And American Gods would also make a decent miniseries... Oh look. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/22/neil-gaiman-american-gods-hbo)

Lets only hope HBO will get mixed race actor to play Shadow. Though I doubt they would bring guy he was based on, Dwayne Johnson.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-05, 08:38 AM
Lets only hope HBO will get mixed race actor to play Shadow. Though I doubt they would bring guy he was based on, Dwayne Johnson.

I think you misread that - Shadow wasn't based on Dwayne, Gaiman just said that Dwayne would have been a good actor for him before he got all over-muscled.

theirs plenty of likeable characters and you cant blame the movie for the childish plots since its based off a book...of course the book is the only reason i feel obliged to defend it
The book was written for kids, but it was also coherent and made sense, with surprisingly deep themes for a 'kid's book'. The movie was atrocious specifically because they 'dumbed it down' with stuff like making Hades the villain, removing those deeper themes for a schlocky production, while casting people who acted badly and thus made book-likeable characters unlikeable.

thubby
2012-08-05, 10:39 PM
if it could be done with the budget and talent of game of thrones,
name of the wind would be a fantastic series

Maxios
2012-08-06, 06:45 PM
The book was written for kids, but it was also coherent and made sense, with surprisingly deep themes for a 'kid's book'. The movie was atrocious specifically because they 'dumbed it down' with stuff like making Hades the villain, removing those deeper themes for a schlocky production, while casting people who acted badly and thus made book-likeable characters unlikeable.

And they made Annabeth a brunette! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! :furious:

The Glyphstone
2012-08-06, 07:50 PM
And they made Annabeth a brunette! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE! :furious:

Is her hair color a plot point or something?

Maxios
2012-08-06, 07:51 PM

Yes! Yes it is :tongue:!

Xondoure
2012-08-06, 08:49 PM

Besides tired trope isms about hair color, her being blond is important because it's one of the things that marks her as a daughter of Athena.

Man on Fire
2012-08-07, 06:05 AM
I think you misread that - Shadow wasn't based on Dwayne, Gaiman just said that Dwayne would have been a good actor for him before he got all over-muscled.

Nope, I'm sure that Gaiman had said somewhere else he based Shadow's looks on Dwayne's.

Faulty
2012-08-07, 09:23 AM
I want to see a gritty reboot of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. Jason Statham could play an action hero reinterpretation of Poirot, and there could be some running across train tops, hand to hand fights in cramped train car rooms (a la From Russia With Love) and maybe a sex scene. Then once the murder is solved they all have to escape before the train explodes.

It'd be grand.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-07, 10:17 AM
Nope, I'm sure that Gaiman had said somewhere else he based Shadow's looks on Dwayne's.

Dude, it's right in the link you yourself posted...

Speaking of possible casting for Shadow, he said: "Shadow is of mixed race and I wanted to find an actor who has that thing going. An actor who turned up after American Gods was written and, if he hadn't have become huge would have been perfect, was Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson because he has this huge bulk, and doesn't look terribly smart – which is one of the fun things about Shadow: he's smarter than people assume.

Now, I wouldn't put time travel and/or precognition past Gaiman, but otherwise it seems pretty clear.

oblivion6
2012-08-08, 02:51 AM
i have always wanted to see a movie based off of the PS2 game suikoden V by konami

Tebryn
2012-08-08, 03:02 AM
i have always wanted to see a movie based off of the PS2 game suikoden V by konami

I'd much rather see it made out of 3. Much more interesting game. Even 1 or 2 would be good.

oblivion6
2012-08-08, 03:19 AM
I'd much rather see it made out of 3. Much more interesting game. Even 1 or 2 would be good.

3 would be good too. never played 1 or 2. i suppose 4 was okay, but it was short and not as good as the others

Kitten Champion
2012-08-08, 04:13 AM
I'd like to see what a talented director could do with The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie... and any of Michael Moorcock's work really. Harrison's Viriconium would make an epic movie blending a variety of tropes into a complicated science-fantasy setting. Likewise Vance's Lyonesse trilogy could be outstanding in a more visual medium.

I'd like to see a space opera again, and why not Consider Phlebas by Banks? Childhood's End would be interesting on television or in the cinema, subverting the annoying alien invasion trope.

I'm still waiting for the Ghost in the Shell movie with some anticipation. I'd like to see a serious attempt made at the UC Gundam franchise as well.

Emmerask
2012-08-08, 11:01 AM
Yes a nice space opera would be amazing, something "new",
I think the saga of seven suns would make excellent material for movies

pita
2012-08-08, 12:15 PM
I'd like to see what a talented director could do with The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie...

The Kingkiller is unfilmable in its present form. It would need a ton of work and tons of chopping to make it even mildly filmable, and then it would be ridiculously high budgeted (Think of all of the places Kvothe is at, all of the characters he interacts with... the cost is prohibitive). I vote nay. Same thing goes for Hyperion, which I think would be even more awesome. Remembering Siri would be a great movie, though you'd have to add quite a bit and I don't think you should. It would make a great Outer Limits episode, anyway.
The First Law series would make an excellent miniseries. I cast it in my head a while back, made a thread about it too. Have a script I wrote for the first episode in my laptop.

Fragenstein
2012-08-08, 12:26 PM
Piers Anthony's Apprentice Adept series, just to see how they handle the serf nudity in Proton. Probably with some boring, generic bodysuits.

Seriously, I wondered about that the first time I read it as a kid. "How does he expect this to be made into a movie? Everyone's naked."

Kitten Champion
2012-08-08, 01:22 PM
The Kingkiller is unfilmable in its present form. It would need a ton of work and tons of chopping to make it even mildly filmable, and then it would be ridiculously high budgeted (Think of all of the places Kvothe is at, all of the characters he interacts with... the cost is prohibitive). I vote nay.

Im not sure how much CG costs anymore really, but in 10-20 years I could easily this becoming heart and soul endeavour with a dedicated director. Then again you may be right, a lot of the more significant aspects would probably be lost or otherwise extremely difficult to shift mediums. Kind of like all the attempts as Philip K. ****'s works.

The First Law series would make an excellent miniseries. I cast it in my head a while back, made a thread about it too. Have a script I wrote for the first episode in my laptop

I thought it was well suited for HBO -- Glokta in particular would need to be well cast.

pita
2012-08-10, 06:26 AM
I thought it was well suited for HBO -- Glokta in particular would need to be well cast.

I remember having a perfect casting for him in mind, but it's gone. Benedict Cumberbatch is my current idea.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-10, 08:03 PM
I have three book series I've always wanted to see movies of: Xanth by Piers Anthony, the Myth Adventures by Robert Asprin, and the Drenai Sagas by David Gemmel. Absolutely amazing books screaming for a movie.

Oh, and the Ring of Fire series started by Eric Flint. So four book series.

Gnoman
2012-08-10, 08:19 PM
Xanth

That is unlikely to work well. Anthony's unconventional (to put it mildly) attitudes toward many social mores aside, the puns which make up most of the appeal of the world wouldn't translate well. (Debra, for example, or the cherry bombs that are new and clear.)

ForzaFiori
2012-08-10, 09:31 PM
That is unlikely to work well. Anthony's unconventional (to put it mildly) attitudes toward many social mores aside, the puns which make up most of the appeal of the world wouldn't translate well. (Debra, for example, or the cherry bombs that are new and clear.)

True, but I would still love to see a movie set in that world. It's one of my favorite series and one of the first that I ever read.

Also, I'd love to see any anime taken to the movies WELL, as in getting decent actors (the plague of most anime adaptations, I think) and a good enough budget to do all the cool things that happen in an anime.

Brother Oni
2012-08-15, 07:03 AM

You could always try the various The Water Margin adaptations as that's the source material for the Suikoden games. Won't have the same level of magic or world setting though.

A couple of the games have had visual novels released for them, so you may want to try tracking them down as well.

Also, I'd love to see any anime taken to the movies WELL, as in getting decent actors (the plague of most anime adaptations, I think) and a good enough budget to do all the cool things that happen in an anime.

I quite enjoyed Thermae Romae, which has a good live action adaptation.
It is very reliant on knowledge of Japanese culture for the jokes though.

oblivion6
2012-08-15, 12:34 PM
You could always try the various The Water Margin adaptations as that's the source material for the Suikoden games. Won't have the same level of magic or world setting though.

A couple of the games have had visual novels released for them, so you may want to try tracking them down as well.

good to know, will try to track them down. not a big visual novels fan but i could make an exception for this.

Fragenstein
2012-08-15, 12:52 PM

The puns were, to be honest, really the weakest part to Xanth. Sure they helped to form the entire realm's infrastructure, but there's a rich detail that can't be overlooked. Does it really matter to know what a Stanley Steamer is, or is it just enough to know there's an ancient steam dragon living in the chasm?

Does it further lessen the impact if the audience didn't know the chasm itself was inspired by the train tracks outside Anthony's house? In fact most of Xanth was inspired by various features of Florida according to his lengthy Author's Notes?

I don't need to be a fan to recognize hypno-gourds as being cool. Puns are cheap gags worthy of just ignoring, anyway.

Gnoman
2012-08-15, 03:54 PM
Have you read *any* of the books after the first four or five? (I'm not being condecending, I just was wondering if you missed the massive shift in the series.) By the most recent one I read, the plots would be literally incomprehensible if you didn't get the puns. In fact, I didn't get several of them, and had no idea what was going on at points. (Afraid I can't get more specific than that, due to a combination of not having read a X(A/N)TH book in a few years, along with the subject matter of some of the things I do remember not being allowed here.)

Fragenstein
2012-08-15, 04:47 PM
Have you read *any* of the books after the first four or five? (I'm not being condecending, I just was wondering if you missed the massive shift in the series.) By the most recent one I read, the plots would be literally incomprehensible if you didn't get the puns. In fact, I didn't get several of them, and had no idea what was going on at points. (Afraid I can't get more specific than that, due to a combination of not having read a X(A/N)TH book in a few years, along with the subject matter of some of the things I do remember not being allowed here.)

It was around six or seven that the writing started going downhill. I made it, at best, through the first dozen. I now see that he continued to crank them out to.... 38? Holy crap. No wonder the newer books are unrecognizeable.

Hopefully any production would begin when there was still some cohesion to the kingdom.

Gnoman
2012-08-15, 05:28 PM
It was around six or seven that the writing started going downhill. I made it, at best, through the first dozen. I now see that he continued to crank them out to.... 38? Holy crap. No wonder the newer books are unrecognizeable.

Hopefully any production would begin when there was still some cohesion to the kingdom.

There we disagree. The first several were simply generic pulp-fantasy, while the later ones began to take on more and more unique flavours.

Fragenstein
2012-08-15, 05:38 PM
There we disagree. The first several were simply generic pulp-fantasy, while the later ones began to take on more and more unique flavours.

Define 'later'? It wasn't around the time he started writing everything for his daughter, was it?

Have you read his earlier works? Mute? Battle Circle? Even Cthon, Cthor or Bio? Those just seemed to have a more coherent and focused flow than some later works.

Gnoman
2012-08-15, 05:46 PM
Not sure what you mean by "writing everything for his daughter", but it was around the time the puns began to be prominent, the "One Person, One Talent/ Is magic or has magic" rules were set down, and more clever talents showed up. Somewhere between Ogre Ogre and Crewel Lye is my best guess (as it's a subjective idea), so Dragon on a Pedestal is probably a good place to mark the turning point.

Fragenstein
2012-08-15, 05:57 PM
Not sure what you mean by "writing everything for his daughter", but it was around the time the puns began to be prominent, the "One Person, One Talent/ Is magic or has magic" rules were set down, and more clever talents showed up. Somewhere between Ogre Ogre and Crewel Lye is my best guess (as it's a subjective idea), so Dragon on a Pedestal is probably a good place to mark the turning point.

That was around the time the Anthony's daughter discovered what her dad did for a living. Quickly after that, Ivy became a surrogate for the real girl and the maturity levels tanked.

Maybe that's where you enjoyed the books the most. For me, it was a turn-off.

Really. If you haven't, read Battle Circle. Great work. Read some of his movie adaptations. It seems to roll a little better without having to pander to a child.

But I'm being unfair. There are about 25 books or so at least that I haven't read. Iver half the series. I have some work to do.

Gnoman
2012-08-15, 06:13 PM
I've read some of the Incarnations books, and a couple others. The only work of his that I really cared for was the Xanth series. As for Ivy, she's in the forefront for one or two books, and a plot device in a few others.

Kitten Champion
2012-08-15, 06:19 PM
I want to like Piers Anthony, I really do. Many of his ideas are interesting or neatly orchestrated. I just don't get his sensibilities at all... they're childish in the most bizarre ways.

Still, I think Incarnations of Immortality would make an interesting movie series, if you went at it hard with scissors.

Fragenstein
2012-08-15, 06:19 PM
I've read some of the Incarnations books, and a couple others. The only work of his that I really cared for was the Xanth series. As for Ivy, she's in the forefront for one or two books, and a plot device in a few others.

These would be way before Incarnations, which suffered a similar problem shortly after War.

Ah well. I've now loaded the first three Xanth books onto my nook and will now go off to read them all. Or as far as I can take it.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-15, 08:13 PM
Xanth goes downhill towards the end, to the point where I just stopped reading them. But there are plenty of good ones before that starts happening. The Incarnation series was pretty good too.

Has anyone read Robert Asprin's "Phule" series? It'd be pretty epic to see in film.

Gnoman
2012-08-15, 08:28 PM
Since you mentioned Asprin, I'd love to see an adaptation of For King and Country, no matter how dated it may be politically.

Fragenstein
2012-08-16, 06:01 AM
Xanth goes downhill towards the end, to the point where I just stopped reading them. But there are plenty of good ones before that starts happening. The Incarnation series was pretty good too.

Has anyone read Robert Asprin's "Phule" series? It'd be pretty epic to see in film.

Myth Adventures has more background and detail -- especially once the crew gets to the Bazarre. Run that up to the point where Ahz stops teaching magic and you'll have a good series.

I'd also volunteer his Bug Wars, but it seems Starship Troopers already did that.l

Eldan
2012-08-16, 06:26 AM
The title King and Country just reminds me that someone should do a movie adaptation of Temeraire.

tomswift123
2012-08-16, 06:53 AM
I would love to see adaptation of '50 shades of Grey', which is rumored to be made soon.

pita
2012-08-16, 07:26 AM
I would love to see adaptation of '50 shades of Grey', which is rumored to be made soon.

There's porn on the Internet.

ForzaFiori
2012-08-17, 11:48 PM
Myth Adventures has more background and detail -- especially once the crew gets to the Bazarre. Run that up to the point where Ahz stops teaching magic and you'll have a good series.

I'd also volunteer his Bug Wars, but it seems Starship Troopers already did that.l

End with them getting their stall at the Bazaar then? Although that will take out some of the best stories, like when the gang fights the war back on Klah - possibly my favorite book EVER.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-08-18, 01:51 AM
The title King and Country just reminds me that someone should do a movie adaptation of Temeraire.
I believe that Peter Jackson is definitely eyeing it (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43301).

oblivion6
2012-08-18, 02:05 AM

just looked up the water margin adaptations. quite interesting, i can certainly see how it inspired suikoden.

Man on Fire
2012-11-08, 08:10 AM
A Wild Thread Necromancer had appeared.

I have another one I would love to see:
Guy Gavarliek Kay Fionavar Tapestry Trilogy - it would be awesome as series of Lord Of The Rings-esque feature films. Through I don't know sometimes if they aren't too much packed with important events for only 3 2-hour movies.