PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kingmaker IC

Thattaman
2012-06-30, 02:24 AM
For what ever reason, all of you have decided to explore the vast wilderness known as 'The Stolen Lands'. You have each been given a note giving you the terms of what you need to do in your exploration.

Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg’s Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this 24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

The road down to Oleg's trading post is long and deserted but all of you are determined to prove yourselves. Bandit attacks have been common and the only thing that has kept you from turning back is the knowing that you will one day be heroes. As you ride you start to talk to each other about where you've come from and why you are going to the Stolen Lands.

Phasm
2012-06-30, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately, some of the people on this expedition couldn't afford horses. Such is the case with Maeneth, who is trudging along in a slow but steady fashion, the lower half of her scale mail and black tabard covered in road dust. The armor is hot, heavy, and chafes even through the padding underneath it, but she isn't complaining. Not after having fought various types of undead in worn, secondhand leather armor before she could scrape together the funds for this expedition.

The dark-haired cleric glances around at her companions. They're a motley crew, albeit a rather attractive one in the case of Mark the sorcerer, Drake the bard, and of course Caledor the elven warrior. She feels positively plain in comparison. Absently dodging a splat of horse dung, Maeneth contemplates her comrades. So far they've exchanged names and professions, but that's about it. We should probably get to know one another, at least a little. It would be nice to know something about the people guarding my back.

Maeneth clears her throat. "So... perhaps we should talk a little about ourselves, since we'll apparently be traveling together for some time." She pauses, unsure of what exactly to say. They know that she's a priestess of Pharasma by now, and after all those bandit attacks, it's obvious that she's a pretty good healer with both magic and mundane means. Mother always said that when you don't know where to start, start at the beginning. "I come from a village in southern Rostland, some ways south of New Stetven. My home temple is in New Stetven, though, and I've lived there for some time." Pause. She doesn't really want to talk about the events that led to her vocation. What else is there... "This journey has been my first experience fighting bandits and such, but the clergy of Pharasma gets called upon quite a bit to deal with the undead."

Axinian
2012-06-30, 06:39 PM
Cypher perks up a bit, visibly relieved that the awkward silence has lifted a bit. "Well," his voice comes out wheezy and weird and first. He clears his throat and continues in a much more steady voice. It still cracks here and there, however. "You are certainly not alone in being new to this profession." Cypher's formal tone clashes with his boyish look and voice. "This is quite a departure from my life in the north."

He smiles broadly but in a somewhat forced manner. "But I hope I can be of good use to you all!" He glances around nervously. It is obvious to anyone looking that he isn't sure whether he should continue talking or not.

ChaosLord29
2012-06-30, 09:48 PM
Despite the heat, and the dust, and the various hardships of the road, Caledor had yet to complain, and while his hard leather boots were clearly much broken in from the trek, he had somehow contrived to keep his tunic, doublet and breeches nearly spotless, and his chain hauberk shone like it had just been freshly polished. He held his head high, an unconcerned half-smile on his features almost as if he were day dreaming or musing over some recent frivolity, though their hard trek had offered no such relief in the past few days.

He listened to Maeneth's words with a polite interest, but couldn't help but be a bit skeptical in the face of Cypher's strain, attributing it to nerves. "It has been no great challenge yet," He said turning back to face Cypher and Maeneth, a genuine smile on his features, "But I look forward to facing new challenges ahead, and trust we will continue to handle ourselves well. I am Caledor, of Kyonin, and I eagerly await what challenges these Stolen Lands might yet offer us."

Though he had taken stock of his travelling companions since they had first started out, this was the first chance he had truly taken to learn from them, and he had to admit they were a competent lot. 'For Mortals' he thought to himself.

pyrocide
2012-07-01, 07:06 AM
As the group trod on, Mark couldn't help but feel a bit bad for his armor-clad group. The day was hot - muggy even - and despite the long trek and the heat the party still wore their full complements of armor. Mark had never taken to armor, partially because it made him feel uncomfortable and nearly immobile, but also because very early in his magical self-exploration he had found a way to deflect attacks through sheer force of will.

"You all have such interesting lives," Mark said while walking, using his longspear as a walking staff, "I'm just a guy trying to make a name for myself. I'm honored to be in the company of such interesting people as you all." Mark wanted to talk about his lineage, but there was no way to know the kind of company he was in at the time. The possibility of being ridiculed for claiming to be the last of the missing house Rogarvia would be terrible for the group's cohesion. Mark decided to try and hold off on speaking about it until he could be sure it wouldn't cause any problems.

"Miss Maeneth, please tell us more about your experiences with fighting the undead. That life seems so intriguing and dangerous. I would love to hear more about it." Mark smiled at Maeneth, earnestly wishing to hear more from her.

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-01, 12:13 PM
Despite the long trek down the road, Drake looks as well kept as the moment he set out on the trail. His clothes are loose and comfortable for travelling. They are not the best of materials but you can see that they are well maintained. No doubt by the occasional cantrip that the young bard mutters under his breath.

"These people do not seem an immediately distasteful bunch." He thinks to himself. "But it wouldn't be the first time that trouble has been courted without it seeming to be so. Best to take it slowly."

He listens intently to his companions, trying to gain as much information as he can without needing to give out information himself.

"New Stetven, eh? I know that place quite well. One could say that I was raised there. We shall have to share stories of our childhoods at another time, no?"

Drake chuckles lightly as he looks over his companions.

"Though I must agree, the stories of undead battle do surely capture interest. Would you mind expounding on your experiences a little bit more?"

Drake pulls out a piece of paper and quill to jot down some information.

"You do not mind if I write some of it down, do you? The seeds of a good story are always better when they are from the garden of truth.."

Phasm
2012-07-01, 03:50 PM
The half-elf looks from one man to another, trying to hide her dismay. "Um... I wasn't trying to boast, you know. It's just part of what Pharasmins do. Help with births, officiate at funerals, conduct divinations, deal with the undead."

They're expecting some kind of story now, though, and if she doesn't say anything, they'll probably assume that she was lying. Maeneth reaches up to toy with her holy symbol, thinking. It's wood rather than silver, but Pharasma's spiral has been lovingly carved and painted in intricate detail.

"The ones we see most often, at least in the city, are ghosts. Usually we can persuade them to move on without violence; for the most part they want to be reassured that their loved ones will be safe, or that their enemies will be brought to justice. Cults of Urgathoa- that's the goddess of undeath, gluttony, and disease- do pop up from time to time though, and that's where you get zombies and skeletons and the like. They're like weeds! Kill one and sooner or later another one pops up!"

Her lips tighten. "Fighting that sort isn't very glamorous, despite what you may hear in ballads. Skeletons aren't too bad, but you would not believe how long it takes to get the stench of zombie guts out of your hair, skin, gear... it gets everywhere. It's nasty. And bladed weapons are really the only kind that are effective on zombies, so I've had to use my skane- ceremonial dagger, we're not supposed to use them in combat- to fight with instead of my morningstar." The memory of that all-pervasive zombie smell curdles her stomach, and she can't quite suppress a grimace. "Honestly, the bandits in these parts are much more tolerable to fight, even though they're smarter."

ChaosLord29
2012-07-02, 02:42 AM
Caledor did his best to repress any outward signs of mirth or derision as both the sorcerer and the bard passed the time, remarking over such plebeian interests as mortal villages and exploits as if they could ever be anything but pale reflections of the majesty, grandeur, and tradition which perpetually surrounded Elven achievements. Thus far into his own exploration of human lands and from what he had gleaned of human history in his studies, all that these mortals had accomplished had been borrowed, imitated or outright stolen from the their Elven betters. For the most part, he begrudged these particular mortals nothing, as this was the work of their ancient ancestors (by mortal standards anyway).

As the conversation continued however, he could not help but feel some slight chagrin as Maeneth spoke of her work with the cult of Pharasma, dispatching the undead. There was no doubt in his mind that his own training and combat experience were vastly more expansive, and accomplished, but he still was forced to admit that he himself had never dispatched or faced such creatures. Before, he had always taken pride in comparing his abilities against the other elves he had trained and sparred and dueled against, but here was one who had lived not even half so long as he and she possessed a greater breadth of experience at least in this regard. It did not sit well with him, though he could not quite explain why.

"I have yet to be impressed by abilities of these brigands." He remarked, feeling a sudden need to make known his own accomplishments and exploits, "Neither in their weapon skills, nor their tactics as they have accosted us. Though I'm sure none of them have had the chance to study swordplay and warfare as long as I have." His smile was restored quickly as he asserted his superiority over those they had yet faced, and he turned to look back, gauging the response of the others.

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-02, 11:51 AM
"There is a certain romance to the life of a bandit, though. Is there not? Living your own way, freedom from laws and persecution. Belonging in a group which will protect you.

Not that I'm saying that I agree with accosting travelers nor the deplorable acts which they commit. But one can see the draw of the life."

Drake eyes the young Pharasmite. He is impressed that the young lady seems to have such a breadth of experience already. Not that he regrets his own experiences. Long nights in a tavern with beautiful barmaids seems to be far more enjoyable that conversing with the dead or being assailed by the undead.

"Well, as you've shared that you have some skills related to the dead, I feel inclined to point out that I also have some abilities that I can contribute to this expedition. I have no small skill with my whip and can utilize my abilities in magic to help support the party, whether by inspiring my fellows to new heights with my performances to conjuring some grease illusions to confuse and misdirect our enemies. Not as impressive as bing a Ghoul Vanquisher or a Ghost Whisperer, but I like to think that my skills can be quite utile."

Axinian
2012-07-02, 12:48 PM
Cypher chuckles a bit nervously. "Haha, you are all so confident! I'll try to keep up in regards to both sword and spell!" He glances at the others and lowers his voice a bit, realizing that he may have been a bit to loud just then. "Hopefully my studies have qualified me to stand with you all." He says in a flatter tone.

pyrocide
2012-07-02, 02:03 PM
After hearing Cypher's statement, Mark moved beside him, resting a hand on Cypher's shoulder.

"You are indeed qualified my good man," Mark said reassuringly before removing his hand, "I am an orphan grown to adulthood with not a shred to my name, save for the clothes on my back and this ring left by my father that I never knew. Surely if I am of use then you shall be as well." Mark started to walk just a bit ahead, speaking a bit louder so the group could clearly hear.

"I doubt it matters much now. We are heading into the Stolen lands. Titles of nobility, past deeds, and the riches we may have all left at home mean little out here amongst the wild beasts, merciless raiders, and mystical dangers that lie in wait for us. This is where we make new names for ourselves - names that are earned, rather than what lot we were given by birth."

At that point, Mark turned to Drake. "I may be speaking prematurely, but I have a feeling that I am not alone in wishing to hear a sample of your performance. It would do wonders to help our time traveling move by more swiftly. What do you think?"

Phasm
2012-07-02, 04:31 PM
Maeneth nods to Caledor. "I doubt anyone in this area has been able to study anything as long as you have, Caledor." She hasn't had much experience with elves, and she can't help but be a bit wary around him. From what she's heard, they tend to look down on other races; what must he think of half-elves, the result of an elf dallying with one of those 'lesser' peoples?

The cleric gives Cypher an encouraging smile. "You have acquitted yourself well against the bandits so far, Cypher. It must take a great deal of study to learn both the art of the sword and the arts of the arcane. But then, we half-elves are known for mental flexibility." Using a morningstar is fairly simple; you hit the other being with the spiky end. Sword-type weapons, on the other hand... it looks far too easy to cut yourself while you're trying to cut the other person. Cypher uses a khopesh, and that looks even trickier.

Her musings on weaponry are promptly distracted by Mark's request for music. "Oh, yes! Music would be wonderful!"

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-02, 05:48 PM
Drake runs his fingers along the brim of his hat, adjusting it slightly so that the sun is not in his eyes.

"'It would be my pleasure to get to exercise my skills. Please, allow me a second."

He pulls his drum out and fiddles with a few of it's implements while attaching his whip to his belt.

"Now, mind you that I think I'm a little bit more skilled with Oratory, so if you wish a story told then I feel quite confident in my capabilities with it. I do think that, for the time being, the drums might help with the walking a bit more... Plus it leaves me free to chat! Always a bonus."

Drake chuckles heartily to himself as he begins to play.

[roll0]

Axinian
2012-07-02, 07:45 PM
Cypher smiles at the reassurances given to him. "Thank you." He a seems at a bit of a loss as what else to say, but then returns to smiling and begins to step in time with Drake's beat.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-03, 12:45 PM
Maeneth's words held for Caledor a tone of wary respect, which satisfied him, but as Drake began to tap and beat upon his drum as they walked, his good moon began to pick up all the further. Throughout his education and training back home Caledor had dabbled in music, as all elves do, but had found no particular love for the harp or lute or other elven instruments; though he practiced and learned quite readily, it was not long before one of his teachers realized he was in fact deaf to many of the tones themselves. He could distinguish between higher and lower notes, but they held none of the meaning for him that they did for so many of his kindred. It was one of the few sources of shame for Caledor, but he took solace that he could still readily enjoy the sound of the drum and fife, and enjoyed thoroughly the music of marching, drill, swordplay.

Thattaman
2012-07-03, 02:19 PM
As the party march on through the day, the ground gets wilder and less tamed. The road get smaller and less people pass you by. Villages become more less frequent, but one thing increases, the ever more frequent bandit attacks.

Just before nightfall, you come across a small trading post with four dismantled catapults on the four corners. Outside a middle-aged woman is standing outside, waiting for you. When you appraoch she throws out her arms.

"Welcome to mine and my husband's humble home. We've been sent a note rom the capital city that you would come. Oh, forgive me for being so rude, my name is Svetlana and my husband is just fixing the leakage problem in the guest room. I've prepared a bowl of hot stew for you all and we can discuss matters over dinnertime."

She ushers you in and takes you to a small house where seven hot bowls of stew are lay.

pyrocide
2012-07-03, 03:00 PM
"Stew sounds wonderful after a long walk, thank you Mrs.Svetlana," Mark responds to the generous offer, "I doubt any of us were expecting such a warm welcome. I know I wasn't. Thank you again."

Mark follows behind Svetlana, and when shown the table ready with bowls of stew, he goes and sits in one of the middle seats. The smell of the stew makes with mouth water, all the more enticing as the stew seems to be a well deserved reward for traveling for so long. Mark leans in close to inhale deeply. The smell alone seems to melt the tension in his muscles from the walk.

"Please everyone, come sit quickly. My manners may not hold much longer." Mark said mostly in jest, but there was a small part of him that was fighting against the urge to engulf the meal right then.

Phasm
2012-07-03, 06:04 PM
Maeneth puts her pack in a corner and seats herself at the table with a clinking of armor, smiling up at their hostess. Sitting down is sheer bliss for her poor aching feet. "Thank you very much, Mistress Svetlana. A hot meal is always welcome after a journey, and this smells wonderful." She traces Pharasma's spiral over her heart, the only 'prayer' before eating that her order usually performs.

Axinian
2012-07-03, 06:19 PM
Cypher bows slightly at Svetlana's welcome, and as he enters says "Many thanks to you for your hospitality!" After sitting down, he quickly rearranges his utensils into an arrangement used for suppers in high society. He seems to be taking extra care to mind his manners, though he struggles with that a bit. He is obviously just as tired as the rest of the group.

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-03, 06:35 PM
Drake eyes the stew hungrily then turns a smile toward his hostess.

"Why, thank you Ms. Svetlana. This is more than I could have hoped for and it is certainly more than I could have asked for."

As he puts his pack in the corner with Maeneth's, he incants some quick words to Prestidigitate some of the dust and dirt from the road off of himself.

"If there is anything I can do to repay you for your kindness, please, do not hesitate to ask it of me."

He sits down and, against the wishes of his stomach, waits until his hostess is ready to eat.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-04, 01:02 PM
Caledor nods politely towards Svetlana as he makes his way into the courtyard and takes stock of the buildings, making out what he can of both their state of repair and what trade this post might have seen in the recent days. "Your hospitality is most amenable, and it is good to know you were informed of our arrival." He remarks as they enter the house and sit down to their meal. "May I presume that you are Oleg's wife? Is your husband about?"

Thattaman
2012-07-07, 01:49 AM
Svetlana rushes around the house, getting everything ready, so when she finally gets to sit at the dinner table, she's slightly flustered. With her sat down, there is only one remaining bowl.

"Yes, my husband Oleg is hear, he's just finishing fixing a leakage problem. He'll be hear in just a moment to discuss your protection duty soon. I must say how lovely it is for all of you to volunteer to leave your homes just to come over to us and protect us for a job."

It soon becomes clear to you all that Svetlana obviously thought you are here for a different reason, one which you know nothing of.

Axinian
2012-07-07, 04:23 PM
"Er, um, well... It would be somewhat accurate to say our job is to protect you." Stutters Cypher, "Or rather, you will be much safer once our job is done, but I do believe that you have unfortunately mistaken us for someone else, madame."

Phasm
2012-07-07, 11:29 PM
That stew is tormenting Maeneth with its delicious smell. Sitting there, daring her to eat it before everyone is at the table. But years of training in a Pharasmin temple teach a person discipline. She looks over at Svetlana, puzzled.

"May I ask what you were told of us and our mission, Mistress Svetlana?"

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-08, 12:16 AM
Drake takes a moment to listen to his companions and pulls out the slip of paper he has with the charter written on it.

"Indeed, Ms Svetlana, I fear that you might have gotten different information than we have. We have come here with orders to make this region safe for colonization. While we are to drive bandits out and pacify the area, they did not mention you by name, to the best of my knowledge. Forgive me if I seem to say too much, but I feel that some honesty might buy us more goodwill out here than obfuscating words of platitude."

His eyes linger on the delicious looking stew before turning to look at the lady of the house. He gracefully stands and walks over to the woman, proffering the charter for her perusal.

"You have been incredibly hospitable to us. I would consider it wrong to accept your offer of hospitality considering that you might be working under false pretenses. I don't know if any of my compatriots would disagree with me on this, but I want to help you if I am able to. My companions and I have faced our share of bandits coming up here and I don't believe many of our lives were easy before this. Tell us what we might do to assist you."

Drake takes a moment to smile and look around the room.

"Not that I'm saying the government is unreliable or anything, but some seasoned adventurers in the hand is worth a garrison in the capital, if you get my drift"

He chuckles lightly toward Svetlana and hopes to himself that he has earned a hot meal for the evening.

Thattaman
2012-07-08, 02:31 AM
Svetlana looks rather dismayed when she finds out that you were not the people who were meant to be helping her. But she smiles anyway. "Oh, well tuck into your stew and we can discuss more about this when Oleg comes in."

For five minutes nothing isd said, but you can hear the happy sounds of the delicous stew being eaeten. After five minutes, Oleg comes in the room. "So these are our hardened soldiers from the capital, what's the plan?"

pyrocide
2012-07-08, 06:28 AM
Seeing Oleg enter the room, Mark stops his consuming of the delicious stew and stands up to shake the man's hand.

"Thank you for your hospitality good sir. We may not exactly be the men you requested, but as my colleague Drake was just saying we are both willing and ready to help in your situation. Please, sit with us and explain exactly what the problem is. I'm sure we can come up with a way to solve this issue." Mark waits for Oleg to sit with the rest of the group before resuming his seat at the table.

"Now, what are we dealing with?"

ChaosLord29
2012-07-09, 07:14 PM
Caledor does not wait to eat, and instead sips quietly at his stew, listening to the conversation and taking in the situation at hand. 'Just like human governments promise one thing and deliver another, truly they have no concept of what it means to truly rule a people, to serve their needs rather than individual political ends.' He thought to himself as it became apparent that the traders here had been expecting a group of soldiers to protect them. 'It is equally pitiable that they themselves lack the strength to stand against their foes, but then, one can hardly expect much from humans, even if they are only fighting against other humans.' He had to struggle to suppress a smirk, but as Mark and Drake begin to volunteer to help these people his smile becomes more genuine. The chance for combat is of more than a little relish for him.

"I think you'll find whatever or whoever troubles you, we are more than prepared to deal with them." He says, with no small amount of bravado.

Thattaman
2012-07-10, 01:28 PM
Sventlana speaks first. "We were originally told that a group of people from the capital were to come down to live with us temporarily to protect us."

Oleg then explains what happened. "So if you haven't been told, which is really dissapointing, then I suppose I have to explain. Three months ago twelve bandits arrived. Their two leaders were a horrible young woman who threatened to take Svetlana if I don't give over all my trading supplies and a young man who never spoke loudly or for long. The month after, only eight cam and the woman wasn't with them but the man was. Then six came with the man but without the woman. They've been coming on the first of everyo month at three hours past sunrise. So it will be tommorow morning.

Phasm
2012-07-10, 02:20 PM
Maeneth smiles slightly, her violet eyes as cold and calm as a frozen lake. "Then we shall prepare a most... courteous welcome for them. All who live must face Her judgment." This last has the sound of a ritual phrase. She traces the spiral over her heart once more, then looks at her comrades. After their words about 'dealing with' bandits and their actions on the road, Maeneth doesn't think there's any need to ask whether they want to protect Svetlana and Oleg.

The cleric turns back to their host and hostess. "Can you recall whether either of them wore armor or weapons, and if so what kind? Did they wear any holy symbols, cast spells or threaten to do so?"

Thattaman
2012-07-10, 02:36 PM
"They don't have any spells, or at least haven't used them. Their weapons are almost defiantely non-magical, probably stolen. They all wear leather armour and have a sliver necklace that has the symbol of no religion that I recognise."

Axinian
2012-07-10, 05:09 PM
"What was this symbol? At least one of us should be versed enough in religious iconography to recognize it."

Knowledge (religion) for once he tells us

[roll0]

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-10, 06:41 PM
"So.. worst case there will be twelve bandits including the two leaders, the man and the woman. If things go as they have been we will be facing six bandits and the male leader. If we're lucky there will be even less than that, but those are not terrible odds. Especially if we have the element of surprise..." Drake trails off for a moment.

"Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have an objection to violence?"

Axinian
2012-07-10, 07:13 PM
"Not an objection per se..." begins Cypher. "But I would prefer to at least attempt diplomacy first."

ChaosLord29
2012-07-10, 07:38 PM
Caledor smirked, "Are we not authorized by the Lords of the Riverlands to execute justice against 'unrepentant banditry'? I believe that would be covered in this category. Of course . . . " Caledor stopped a moment to think, running a hand through his hair, as he stretched his neck, "If we keep one or two of them alive, we may be able to learn where the others are . . . "

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-10, 07:40 PM
"Not an objection per se..." begins Cypher. "But I would prefer to at least attempt diplomacy first."

Drake grins lopsidedly.

"The problem with diplomacy first is that we get uncomfortably close to a fair fight. That and I figure that the last few sessions of "taxation" when there was no resistance of note should weigh in on when diplomacy is an option. In my opinion, if they surrender while we are fighting I will not kill them immediately, but until proven otherwise I think it's fair to consider these bandits as enemies with the intent to kill."

Drake's voice gets lower, making sure it gets to his teammates and not the hostess.

"Remember now.. they've already threatened.. things.. toward Ms Svetlana. On the off chance that we fail.. there's not telling what will happen to our fair hosts."

Axinian
2012-07-10, 08:00 PM
Cypher grins also. "Ah, but who says we need to talk on even terms? It's perfectly possible for us to welcome them into a... disadvantageous situation. We are in a fort after all."

Phasm
2012-07-11, 10:26 PM
"I agree with Drake and Caledor. If we can keep one or both of the leaders alive, they can be made to talk, but 'alive' does not necessarily mean 'intact'. And the others?" She shrugs with a clinking of armor. "All of these bandits have chosen their fate. Let us bring it to them. I am a healer of some skill, we have not one but four spellcasters. I daresay that we can deal with a scruffy bunch of bandits in leather armor with stolen weapons."

pyrocide
2012-07-12, 02:54 PM
Mark nods at the group's consensus to give these bandits the justice they deserve, while holding at least one of them so they can take care of the rest after finding out where they are hiding. Mark rises from his seat at the table before speaking.

"Sounds like we are all in agreement then about what needs to be done. Caledor, Drake, let's take a walk outside and see what the best plan of attack is. Maeneth, please stay with Oleg and Svetlana," Turning to the married couple, "and if you can think of anything, anything at all about the bandits - their methods, appearances, or anything else - let Maeneth know. Every scrap of detail is important."

"Finally, Cypher, I need you to get an inventory going. Maybe Oleg has one? Either way, we need to know everything at our disposal here. Anything we can use to trap, restrict, or otherwise manipulate the situation. I'm thinking chains, nets, oil... anything really."

Mark walks to the door, but waits for Drake and Caledor to start moving before heading outside.

Thattaman
2012-07-12, 04:13 PM
"We do have a supply hut just next to this building. You can use anything in there."

Axinian
2012-07-12, 04:20 PM
"Most convenient." Cypher bows a bit to their hosts. "I thank for the meal and the use of your goods." Cypher whips out a pen and parchment and heads for the shed.

Phasm
2012-07-12, 09:36 PM
Nodding, Maeneth stands up and starts taking the empty stew bowls to the kitchen. "Once I get out of my armor, I'll be happy to help with the dishes, Mistress Svetlana." She smiles wryly. "Water plus scale armor equals rust. Rain and mud are bad enough without adding dishwater to the mix!" If fate decides to bring the bandits right now, well, her faith will have to protect her until the others hear the commotion.

Some people would be offended at being stuck on guard duty without a say in the matter, but Maeneth is perfectly fine with the arrangement. She doesn't know how to make clever traps out of household materials, and she's never had much of a head for strategy. Under the circumstances, leaving the healer to keep an eye on their hosts seems like the smart thing to do.

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-13, 01:45 AM
Drake chuckles toward Maeneth.

"My dear; Dishes are my speciality. Allow me, please."

Given the opportunity, Drake uses Prestidigitation to clean off not only the dishes, but the room as well.

Afterwards, Drake will go outside and look at the catapults to see if they are serviceable.

Thattaman
2012-07-13, 11:40 AM
The catapults are i no state of use. It looks as though they would need a few days work to get them functional. In the store hut, there is nothing of use. Just furs and other trade goods. In the storeroom there is lanterns and oil. 70ft. of rope, firewood a tent and enough food to last two weeks. Finally, the room that catches your eyes the most, in the stockroom there is leather armour, a heavy wooden sheild, two hand axes, five javelins, a longbow, two dozen arrows, a scythe, two spears, two potions of cure light wounds, a potion of sheild of faith +2, two vials of antitoxin, six torches, and furs. Along with a large amount of gold. Oleg allows you to use anything from the storeroom or store hut, but will not allow you to use anything from the stockroom apart from the torches and arrows.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-16, 10:21 PM
Caledor eyes the supplies they've gathered somewhat warily. "I don't see that all of this is going to be useful, though it couldn't hurt to get a little creative with the oil and the nets, if need be." He remarks having followed Drake outside. "Shame the catapults are not serviceable, even if they wouldn't be of much use to us against only 6 men or so. Siege weapons are always good for the added intimidation." It wasn't until they came upon the armory that his smile lit up, and he picked up the bow and arrows. They were of human make it appeared, serviceable, if at their core inferior. Perhaps the man running the outpost would be willing to part with them in exchange for dealing with their bandit problem.

Phasm
2012-07-22, 12:34 PM
Maeneth pokes her head out the door as the sun starts to set. "Are you four coming in anytime soon? It's getting dark, and I think our hosts would like to hear your brilliant plans before they go to bed. So would I, for that matter."

pyrocide
2012-07-23, 02:27 PM
Mark surveys the outside along with his allies.

"I think our best bet is to lure the bandits into the fort, maybe the courtyard. We can use the walls and rooms to set up a decent ambush. If we can get at least one of us to hold a position outside or near the front to catch any runners, that would be for the best." Mark continues to look around, trying to spot any potential hiding spots or weak points.

"Also, if we had a at least one of us on one of the roofs giving the rest of us some ranged cover and the option to pick off stragglers would be a bonus. However, I'm no swordlord or army general so I may be missing something. Caledor, Drake, any thoughts?"

A moment later Maeneth calls out for the group to return inside. Mark turns and nods before looking at the two again. "Any other thoughts before we explain the plan to the rest of our party?"

Axinian
2012-07-23, 07:07 PM
"Perhaps those of us that are more skilled in close-quarters combat should hide behind the doors. Once the ruffians enter, we can shut the doors behind them and commence the attack. The ranged people can be anywhere where they won't be seen right away."

Thattaman
2012-07-26, 03:08 PM
Oleg listens eagerly to your plan, occasionally adding bits, but mainly listening to what you have to say.

After the plan has been discussed, you are all sent to the guest beds. Night comes and goes, and in the morning, as promised, three hours after sunrise, the bandits arrive. The man with the longbow and three others, all on horseback. One of the bandits shouts out. "Open the gates quickly or we'll throw some flaming logs over to hurry you up!"

pyrocide
2012-07-28, 11:38 AM
Mark waits behind the gate on the right side, waiting for Oleg to come open the it and hide between the gate and wall. The sorcerer hopes that everyone else is ready and in position.

We didn't exactly get time to state where everyone is located, but since we'd already discussed a plan somewhat I'm hoping that someone else is hiding on the left side, and everyone else is either on a roof with a ranged weapon or nearby in a room or hiding behind something.

CheshireCatAW
2012-07-29, 05:28 PM
Drake hides behind the gate on the left side, remaining quiet and listening for the sounds of combat.

Phasm
2012-07-29, 11:10 PM
Maeneth has joined Mark behind the right gate. When push comes to shove, sorcerers and wizards can generally use someone in armor to stand between them and angry people with weapons while they cast spells. And if that someone can heal, all the better.

Axinian
2012-08-01, 04:36 PM
Cypher will join Drake behind the left gate.

CheshireCatAW
2012-08-01, 05:46 PM
Drake will appreciate not being the only one behind the gate. He will stand behind his cohort.

Thattaman
2012-08-02, 01:40 AM
Whos' going to be the person who starts fighting? Because if no one starts, then they'll just take the stuff and go.

ChaosLord29
2012-08-02, 12:57 PM
Caledor stays inside the main house with Oleg and Svetlana, waiting for the bandits arrive. Once Oleg identifies the men, he plans to exit the building either with the trader or alone and confront the bandits with their crimes. He suggests to Oleg that to be seen with him and confronting them, while their allies spring the trap will help to convince the bandits that this is no longer an easy target. "Take heart, and take courage, and I assure you no harm will come to you, or your wife, or your trading post."

Caledor is more than willing to be the first one to attack the bandits.

pyrocide
2012-08-03, 02:31 PM
I'm doing this mostly to get the ball rolling.
Mechanically speaking, I'm casting Burning Hands trying to catch as many bandits in the cone as possible. I'm counting on some DM aid here as we have no battlemat to go by. That goes for both catching as many bandits as possible in the blast (15ft cone) and avoiding setting stuff on fire.

DC 14, reflex save for half
[roll0] Fire damage.

This'll either be good or useless. yay.

Once all the bandits walk through the gates, Mark throws his side of the gate open and rushes the evil-doers.

"You have awoken the dragon foolish mortals! Prepare your souls for the inferno!" Mark extends his hands together in front of him and releases a gout of fire, covering the area the bandits are standing in.

"This is the fate of all who take advantage of my people!" Mark exclaims as the fires burn.

Axinian
2012-08-03, 03:25 PM
Cypher will throw his side of the gate closed (which I presume is a standard or move action), and then move to engage the nearest bandit, placing himself between it and the gate. He readies his khopesh and says nothing, hoping the bandits will know a losing fight when they see one.

Phasm
2012-08-03, 10:59 PM
Morningstar in hand, Maeneth intones a prayer to Pharasma in an ancient tongue, asking for the Lady of Graves' blessing as her free hand gestures toward her allies.

Casting Bless on the party; I'm assuming everyone is in range, since it's a 50 ft. radius centered on the caster. Enjoy your +1 attack and +1 vs. fear, people. :smallsmile:

CheshireCatAW
2012-08-05, 04:29 PM
Drake looks around and smiles broadly.

He swings his whip at the closest bandit, attempting to trip him.

CMB: 1d20+3

Thattaman
2012-08-06, 01:08 AM
Once everyone's taken their surprise round, then you can roll innitiative.
Bandits: [roll0]
Leader: [roll1]

Axinian
2012-08-06, 03:17 PM
Initiative

[roll0]

CheshireCatAW
2012-08-07, 01:22 AM
Initiative:

[roll0]

Phasm
2012-08-07, 08:01 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Thattaman
2012-08-08, 01:36 AM
Drake goes first

CheshireCatAW
2012-08-09, 02:57 AM
Drake will move toward another bandit an attempt to trip him as well.

[roll0]

Thattaman
2012-08-11, 10:54 AM
I've got the map. I think you'll have to go on the link Pyrocide gave, copy and paste this in the lower box and click load map. Click cycle grid for the five foot squares.
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -1 8d 2z rs 0 0 -4z 30 8d 30 8d 30 8d 30 *s -1 ct 2q rs 0 0
@cu 23 cu 2r cu 2r cu 23 cu 23 cu 23 cu 23 cu 2r *s -1 e5 37 rs 0
@0 di 38 e6 38 *s -1 bk 21 rs 0 0 bl 22 bl 22 *s -1 8o 7z rs 0 0
@8o -1d 8o 7z 80 7z *s -1 8c 8a rs 0 0 8d 7n 8d 8b *s -1 jf 88 rs
@0 0 jg 89 64 89 *s -1 1o 8c rs 0 0 1p 8c 1p 7o 11 7o *s -1 1p 2e
@rs 0 0 1q 1q 1q 2e *s -1 1o 3c rs 0 0 1o 3d 10 3d *s -1 1c 80 rs
@0 0 1c -1b 1c 81 *s -1 -14 85 rs 0 0 -15 85 -2h 85 *s -1 -1b 8w
@rs 0 0 -1b 6x -1b 8x *s -1 -17 90 rs 0 0 -17 7o -17 90 *s -1 -2j
@8u rs 0 0 -2j 8u -4j 8u *s -1 ch 8j rs 0 0 ch 77 ch 8j *s -1 bp
@8p rs 0 0 9q 8q bq 8q *s -1 cb 8l rs 0 0 cc 8m cc 6m *s -1 by 80
@rt 2 0 bz 81 an 81 *s -1 cl 3f rs 0 0 ba 3f cm 3f *s -1 bi 3c rs
@0 0 bj 3c bj 1k *s -1 bu 2l rs 0 0 bv 2l bv 2d *s -1 dz 34 rs 0
@0 dz 34 dz 1s *s -1 ce 2b rs 0 0 af 2b cf 2b *s -1 91 7z rs 0 0
@91 -1d 91 7z *s -1 8d 2o rs 0 0 -4y 2o 8e 2o *s -1 11 81 rs 0 0
@11 -1b 11 81 *s -1 k1 8j rs 0 0 6p 8k k1 8k *s -3 ax 67 rs 0 *s
@-1 1p 3d rs 0 0 1q 3e 1q 1e *s -1 1m 21 rs 0 0 1m 21 -u 21 *s -1
@c 3c rs 0 0 d p d 3d *s -1 1a 3c rs 0 0 -h 3d 1b 3d *s -1 -14 8j
@rs 0 0 -1d 8j -15 8j *s -1 1o 9d rs 0 0 1p 7e 1p 9e *s -1 1n 9c
@rs 0 0 1o 9c -10 9c *s -1 c 9b rs 0 0 d 9c d 6o *s -1 1h 80 rs 0
@0 -r 80 1h 80 *s -1 9p 3b rs 0 0 71 3c 9p 3c *s -1 9q 3c rs 0 0
@9q 3c 9q o *s -1 9q 20 rs 0 0 9q 21 72 21 *s -1 8d 3c rs 0 0 8e
@p 8e 3d *s -1 9b 7z rs 0 0 9c 7z 80 7z *s -1 8c 9c rs 0 0 8c 7c
@8c 9c *s -1 9o 9b rs 0 0 71 9c 9p 9c *s -1 9o 9c rs 0 0 9o 9c 9o
@6o *s -1 9o 7z rs 0 0 9o 80 90 80 *s -1 3c 7o rs 0 0 0 7o 3c 7o *s
@-1 1o 7o rs 0 0 1o 7o 1o 10 *s -1 3c 4c rs 0 0 0 4c 3c 4c *s -1
@3c 7o rs 0 0 3c 10 3c 7o *s -3 4f cp rs 0 *s -1 3o 5c rs 0 0 3o
@3c 3o 5c *s -1 50 5c rs 0 0 2c 5c 50 5c *s -1 50 5c ru 4 0 50 5c
@50 3c 2c 3c *s -3 5m ax rs 0 *s -1 cz 2g rs 0 0 ac p d0 p d0 2h
@ac 2h ac p *s -3 4h bz rs 0 Stables *s -3 95 9n rs 0 *s -3 95
@9n rs 0 *s -3 7p 9r rs 0 Storage Hut *s -1 5c 5c rs 0 0 5c 5c
@5c 1c *s -1 80 3c rs 0 0 2o 3c 80 3c *s -1 80 5c rs 0 0 80 1c 80
@5c *s -1 80 5c rs 0 0 2o 5c 80 5c *s c dc cc tf sc *s j a7 h1
@4z4 17m *s -1 8c 8o rs 0 0 8c 8o 3w 8o *s -1 40 8o rs 0 0 40 8o
@-o 8o *s -1 40 8c rs 0 0 -o 8c 40 8c *s -1 8c 8c rs 0 0 3o 8c 8c
@8c *s -1 8d 2z rs 0 0 -4z 30 8d 30 8d 30 8d 30 *s -1 ct 2q rs 0
@0 cu 23 cu 2r cu 2r cu 23 cu 23 cu 23 cu 23 cu 2r *s -1 e5 37 rs
@0 0 di 38 e6 38 *s -1 bk 21 rs 0 0 bl 22 bl 22 *s -1 8o 7z rs 0
@0 8o -1d 8o 7z 80 7z *s -1 8c 8a rs 0 0 8d 7n 8d 8b *s -1 jf 88
@rs 0 0 jg 89 64 89 *s -1 1o 8c rs 0 0 1p 8c 1p 7o 11 7o *s -1 1p
@2e rs 0 0 1q 1q 1q 2e *s -1 1o 3c rs 0 0 1o 3d 10 3d *s -1 1c 80
@rs 0 0 1c -1b 1c 81 *s -1 -14 85 rs 0 0 -15 85 -2h 85 *s -1 -1b
@8w rs 0 0 -1b 6x -1b 8x *s -1 -17 90 rs 0 0 -17 7o -17 90 *s -1
@-2j 8u rs 0 0 -2j 8u -4j 8u *s -1 ch 8j rs 0 0 ch 77 ch 8j *s -1
@bp 8p rs 0 0 9q 8q bq 8q *s -1 cb 8l rs 0 0 cc 8m cc 6m *s -1 by
@80 rt 2 0 bz 81 an 81 *s -1 cl 3f rs 0 0 ba 3f cm 3f *s -1 bi 3c
@rs 0 0 bj 3c bj 1k *s -1 bu 2l rs 0 0 bv 2l bv 2d *s -1 dz 34 rs
@0 0 dz 34 dz 1s *s -1 ce 2b rs 0 0 af 2b cf 2b *s -1 91 7z rs 0
@0 91 -1d 91 7z *s -1 8d 2o rs 0 0 -4y 2o 8e 2o *s -1 11 81 rs 0
@0 11 -1b 11 81 *s -1 k1 8j rs 0 0 6p 8k k1 8k *s -3 ax 67 rs 0 *s
@-1 1p 3d rs 0 0 1q 3e 1q 1e *s -1 1m 21 rs 0 0 1m 21 -u 21 *s -1
@c 3c rs 0 0 d p d 3d *s -1 1a 3c rs 0 0 -h 3d 1b 3d *s -1 -14 8j
@rs 0 0 -1d 8j -15 8j *s -1 1o 9d rs 0 0 1p 7e 1p 9e *s -1 1n 9c
@rs 0 0 1o 9c -10 9c *s -1 c 9b rs 0 0 d 9c d 6o *s -1 1h 80 rs 0
@0 -r 80 1h 80 *s -1 9p 3b rs 0 0 71 3c 9p 3c *s -1 9q 3c rs 0 0
@9q 3c 9q o *s -1 9q 20 rs 0 0 9q 21 72 21 *s -1 8d 3c rs 0 0 8e
@p 8e 3d *s -1 9b 7z rs 0 0 9c 7z 80 7z *s -1 8c 9c rs 0 0 8c 7c
@8c 9c *s -1 9o 9b rs 0 0 71 9c 9p 9c *s -1 9o 9c rs 0 0 9o 9c 9o
@6o *s -1 9o 7z rs 0 0 9o 80 90 80 *s -1 3c 7o rs 0 0 0 7o 3c 7o *s
@-1 1o 7o rs 0 0 1o 7o 1o 10 *s -1 3c 4c rs 0 0 0 4c 3c 4c *s -1
@3c 7o rs 0 0 3c 10 3c 7o *s -3 4f cp rs 0 *s -1 3o 5c rs 0 0 3o
@3c 3o 5c *s -1 50 5c rs 0 0 2c 5c 50 5c *s -1 50 5c ru 4 0 50 5c
@50 3c 2c 3c *s -3 5m ax rs 0 *s -1 cz 2g rs 0 0 ac p d0 p d0 2h
@ac 2h ac p *s -3 4h bz rs 0 Stables *s -3 95 9n rs 0 *s -3 95
@9n rs 0 *s -3 7p 9r rs 0 Storage Hut *s -1 5c 5c rs 0 0 5c 5c
@5c 1c *s -1 80 3c rs 0 0 2o 3c 80 3c *s -1 80 5c rs 0 0 80 1c 80
@5c *s -1 80 5c rs 0 0 2o 5c 80 5c *s c dc cc tf sc *s j a7 h1
@4z4 17m *s -1 8c 8o rs 0 0 8c 8o 3w 8o *s -1 40 8o rs 0 0 40 8o
@-o 8o *s -1 40 8c rs 0 0 -o 8c 40 8c *s -1 8c 8c rs 0 0 3o 8c 8c
@8c *s -1 80 80 rs 0 0 80 80 80 60 *s -1 80 80 rs 0 0 80 80 40 80
@*s -1 60 80 rs 0 0 60 80 60 60 *s -1 80 70 rs 0 0 40 70 80 70 *s
@-3 ba 8z rs 0 Oleg and Svetlana's house *s -3 d0 ez rs 0 Guest
@house *s -3 e4 eu rs 0 *s -1 2o 40 rs 0 0 1c 2o 1c 40 2o 40 *s
@-1 2o 40 rs 0 0 2o 40 2o 2o *s -1 2o 3c rs 0 0 1c 3c 2o 3c *s -1
@30 40 rs 0 0 30 2o 30 40 *s -1 3o 40 rs 0 0 2c 40 3g 40 3o 40 *s
@-1 3o 40 rs 0 0 3o 40 3o 2o *s -1 3o 3c rs 0 0 2c 3c 3o 3c *s -1
@40 40 rs 0 0 40 2o 40 40 *s -1 4o 40 rs 0 0 3c 40 4o 40 *s -1 4o
@40 rs 0 0 4o 40 4o 2o *s -1 4o 3c rs 0 0 3c 3c 4o 3c *s -3 8v ft
@rs 0 B *s -3 a9 fs rs 0 B *s -3 ax ft rs 0 B *s -3 9i fu rs 0 L *s
@-3 nc dm rs 0 M *s -3 a5 h4 rs 0 C *s -3 c0 gg rs 0 Mae *s -3 9e
@eg rs 0 Mar *s -3 86 fr rs 0 D *s -3 co ag rs 0 Cal *s -3 3z 1s
@rs 0 Cal= Caledor *s -3 45 28 rs 0 *s -3 62 1p rs 0 *s -3 3y
@2b rs 0 D= Drake *s -3 44 2u rs 0 *s -3 3z 2s rs 0 Mae= Maeneth
@*s -3 5o 2n rs 0 *s -3 48 32 rs 0 *s -3 40 39 rs 0 Mar= Mark *s
@-3 3z 3s rs 0 C= Cypher *s -3 4t 3l rs 0 *s -3 40 u rs 0 B=
@Bandit *s -3 3z 1b rs 0 L= Bandit Leader *s -3 5n 12 rs 0 *s -3
@4v 13 rs 0
*END -3bpc9d

Axinian
2012-08-12, 12:24 AM
Well I'm totally out of place on that map, unless for some reason I can't be next to a bandit I moved next to the one closest my starting point.

pyrocide
2012-08-12, 06:46 AM
Mark lets out another blast of fire, covering the same bandits he caught in the first cone in a new wave of flame.

[roll0] damage, and same saves as last time.

After engulfing the bandits in fire, Mark moves behind drake and readies himself for the counterattack the remaining bandits will launch.