PDA

View Full Version : wuxia on youtube

dehro
2012-07-04, 10:39 AM
so apparently pretty much every wuxia film ever made can now be found on youtube, complete.. sometimes dubbed, sometimes subbed..
some of them are hilarious... some are good..some are hilariously bad.. almost all of them are a pleasure to watch, for one reason or another.

am I the only one wasting my sleep hours away on this?
if not, what are your favourites?

Yora
2012-07-04, 02:38 PM
Are they good image quality?
Are the original version with subtitles? :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2012-07-04, 05:00 PM
Are they good image quality?
Are the original version with subtitles? :smallbiggrin:

there's pretty much everything.. good quality, bad quality (consider many of them date to the seventies)..bad dubbing, bad subbing... bad subbing that has no connection whatsoever to the even worse dubbing on the same movie..

Wyntonian
2012-07-05, 11:52 PM
bad dubbing, bad subbing... bad subbing that has no connection whatsoever to the even worse dubbing on the same movie..

Best kind :smallbiggrin:. I love crappy old martial arts movies. Bonus points if some of the actors are white folks with bad makeup and eye-tape.

If I ever try to learn Mandarin, that's how I'll practice.

Brother Oni
2012-07-06, 02:29 AM
Best kind :smallbiggrin:. I love crappy old martial arts movies. Bonus points if some of the actors are white folks with bad makeup and eye-tape.

If I ever try to learn Mandarin, that's how I'll practice.

A lot of the old martial arts films are in Cantonese, rather than Mandarin.

There are a couple of notable exceptions, the 1982 Shaolin Temple with Jet Li is in Mandarin for example, but virtually all the old Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest movies are in Cantonese.

Bad subbing is mostly due to somebody writing (literal) English using Chinese grammar - it makes perfect sense to me most of the time (still doesn't stop me laughing at some of the larger errors though - "do not want").

Clertar
2012-07-06, 02:35 AM
Oh yeah, those films are great :smallbiggrin: Some accounts do get cancelled or emptied out, but there are always more to make up for it, I guess nobody cares enough...

Two that I enjoyed: Shaolin Mantis, and Come drink with me. The one-armed swordsman saga is a classic, too.

dehro
2012-07-06, 02:40 AM
A lot of the old martial arts films are in Cantonese, rather than Mandarin.

There are a couple of notable exceptions, the 1982 Shaolin Temple with Jet Li is in Mandarin for example, but virtually all the old Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest movies are in Cantonese.

Bad subbing is mostly due to somebody writing (literal) English using Chinese grammar - it makes perfect sense to me most of the time (still doesn't stop me laughing at some of the larger errors though - "do not want").

one other explanation for the bad subbing on top of the bad dubbing is that one is done for the english market, the other for the american market.. the funny thing there is that they broadly say the same things..yet..not quite.
and occasionally one, the other, or both don't make any sense in relation to what's happening on screen