PDA

View Full Version : demons FOR the demon army

inuyasha
2012-07-04, 05:48 PM
I would really love some homebrew demons. preferably around 14-22 in CR for a very powerful group of characters I am running. Oh and PLEASE if you can, try to exploit all weaknesses possible of barbarians, mages, clerics and theives but keep it usable :smallcool:
NOTE: I HAVE A LOT OF TIME

Steward
2012-07-04, 08:33 PM
Do you want each demon to be capable of taking on the whole party (that is, each demon exploits the weaknesses of barbarians, mages, clerics, thieves, etc.) or would you be OK if a bunch of people made a bunch of different demons that each are good at only a couple of things? I have some ideas for demons but I can't think of one that would be able to beat a wizard and a cleric and a rogue and a barbarian (that would also be fun for me to make).

inuyasha
2012-07-04, 08:47 PM
Do you want each demon to be capable of taking on the whole party (that is, each demon exploits the weaknesses of barbarians, mages, clerics, thieves, etc.) or would you be OK if a bunch of people made a bunch of different demons that each are good at only a couple of things? I have some ideas for demons but I can't think of one that would be able to beat a wizard and a cleric and a rogue and a barbarian (that would also be fun for me to make).

I would prefer if there were a lot of demons good at only a couple things things. 1 type of demon able to slay a whole party is wayy too overpowered, and I love variaty and thats what demons are about :smallbiggrin: START CRACKIN :smallbiggrin:

Baron Corm
2012-07-05, 12:57 PM
Challenge Accepted! You said you had a while, so this is a bit of a rough draft. Haven't thought of the name yet. Also check out my sig for some more that I've made in the past, if you want to use those.

The blibix is a shapeless, ooze-like demon under the command of Juiblex that has surprising swiftness. It bounces around during combat, splattering everything nearby with goo. The spikes on its body are not only good for punishing physical attackers, but serve as conductors for evil energy, punishing the forces of good that might try to gain an advantage.

Blibix
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 17d8+204 (280 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: 60 feet (12 squares)
Armor Class: 16, touch 16, flat-footed 9 (+7 dex, -1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+23
Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d6+2 plus 1d6 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +23 melee (2d6+2 plus 1d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Summon demon, splatter
Special Qualities: Demon traits, ooze traits, anathema, body spikes, blindsight 60 feet, sense good, damage reduction 10/good, immunity to acid
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +17, Will +12
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 25, Con 35, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Pick 11
Feats: Weapon Finesse (B), Dodge, Mobility, Elusive Target, Improved Initiative, pick 2 more
Enviroment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary or Pile (2-5)
Challange Rating: 17
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 18-24 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Unlike regular oozes, this demonic ooze is quite intelligent, and is capable of advanced tactics. However, because of the tools available to it, this mostly amounts to knowing when to attack or retreat. If the answer is attack, the blibix jumps into battle, trying to get as large of a splatter as possible, and draw the attacks of what appear to be the most good-aligned enemy creatures. It uses its slam only when Splatter puts it within the ideal range, and it has nothing else to do.

Blibixes understand Abyssal and may have picked up as many as three other languages, but cannot speak.

Splatter (Ex)

A blibix can jump a distance equal to its speed with no check. If it moves at least half its speed in this way, it sends off goo that deals 6d6 acid damage to everything in a radius equal to the distance it moved (Reflex DC 30 half, Constitution-based).

Splatter can be used as a move or immediate action.

Body Spikes (Ex)

A blibix's body spikes deal 3d6 damage to any attacker who strikes him in melee.

Anathema (Su)

Whenever a blibix receives damage or other negative effect from a spell with the Good descriptor or good-aligned weapon, the caster of the spell or wielder of the weapon receives the same effect. When this happens, the blibix's body spikes glow red hot, and deal +3d6 additional fire damage for 1 round. Multiple returned effects within the same round do not result in a further increase in damage.

Sense Good (Su)

Within blindsight range, a blibix can also sense any good-aligned creatures, and pinpoint their locations.

Summon Demon (Sp)

Once per day a blibix can attempt to summon another blibix with a 50% chance of success.

inuyasha
2012-07-05, 01:08 PM
that is pretty good. I might use it :smallwink: . i think its cool but if you could come up with something a little more beastlike that would be great because the demon lord leading this army is baphomet lord of beasts but i can tell i like your thinking :smallsmile:

Baron Corm
2012-07-05, 01:23 PM
To change into a beastman:

Describe it as a goatman covered in spikes, or a frogman, or anything with strong legs that would be able to jump like that. Maybe even a kangaroo.
Change all acid damage to fire damage, saying it gives off fireballs when it leaps or attacks instead. Pretty demonic.
Take out ooze traits, add in some natural armor (+10?).
Should be good to go :smallsmile:.

inuyasha
2012-07-05, 02:31 PM
To change into a beastman:

Describe it as a goatman covered in spikes, or a frogman, or anything with strong legs that would be able to jump like that. Maybe even a kangaroo.
Change all acid damage to fire damage, saying it gives off fireballs when it leaps or attacks instead. Pretty demonic.
Take out ooze traits, add in some natural armor (+10?).
Should be good to go :smallsmile:.

hehehehehe le 20th level horror from gehenna likes :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2012-07-05, 03:49 PM
Hey Yasha, what would be your ideal method of, 'exploiting,' the party's weaknesses?
As in, do you like specifically countering their favorite things? (Like a spirit of resignation with an aura that turns off the barbarian's rage)
...or twisting their natural tendencies against them? (Like an imp that magnifies the rage until the barbarian can no longer tell who is friends are)

inuyasha
2012-07-05, 05:30 PM
Hey Yasha, what would be your ideal method of, 'exploiting,' the party's weaknesses?
As in, do you like specifically countering their favorite things? (Like a spirit of resignation with an aura that turns off the barbarian's rage)
...or twisting their natural tendencies against them? (Like an imp that magnifies the rage until the barbarian can no longer tell who is friends are)

I love the idea of turning what they love against them because this is an extremely powerful party and if they get a taste of their own medicine all i need to say is ouuch because when the barbarian rages his strength skyrockets to like 30 or higher (from the 10 frenzied berzerker levels) and the rogue not only does +10d6 when flanking but also crits on a 12 or higher. If you could really use these and make some powerfull demons I would be overjoyed
P.S. this player has been DMing since first edition so he knows all the rules so a little homebrew would be great. thanks :smallbiggrin:

Randomguy
2012-07-05, 06:16 PM
A good anti-barbarian thing would be an aura of calm emotions, but you'd need some really good fluff for that to make sense on a demon. Hmm... How about a demon that feeds off of anger, draining it away and gaining a morale bonus equal to the bonus that the rage would have provided? Like calm emotions, but all it does is suppress rage effects for the duration, so the targets can still take violent actions, but being attacked doesn't break the spell?

You probably wouldn't even need to make a new demon, maybe just a template that adds this aura, but makes it so that the creature with the template can't benefit from rage effects.

A great thing to just mess up the party completely is a fiendish Rust Dragon. Goodbye, thousands of GP of metal magic items! He doesn't even need to be part of the boss fight, he could just be guarding the entrance.

A good rogue counter is just to give the mindsight feat to a demon with a long ranged telepathy, so it would always know where the rogue was hiding. Some sort of construct, plant or fiendish elemental would also be a good rogue counter.

To shut the rogue down, just give everyone you need to protect armour of fortification, or Iron Body, or Elemental body. Immunity to critical hits isn't hard to get.

A great way to trip up players in general is by keeping a critters stats the same, but refluffing the description, so the player doesn't know what exactly he's up against. For example, describing trolls as spindly pale white creatures would stop an experienced player from breaking out the acid on the first round of combat.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-05, 07:17 PM
Been wanting to make a really fat demon for along time....

Whale That Walks
Size/Type: Large Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Chaotic)
Hit Dice: 17d8+434 (657hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 feet (4 squares)
Armor Class: 25, touch 7, flat-footed 25 (-2 Dex, -1 size, +8 Natural, +10 Lard)
Base Attack/Grapple: +17/+31
Attack: Bite +26 melee (2d8+10 plus Lard Rot)
Full Attack: Bite +26 melee (2d8+10 plus Lard Rot)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Lard Rot(DC43), Swollow Whole.
Special Qualities: Demon traits, DR10/Good and Cold Iron, Lard Bounce(DC43), SR30, Improved Mettle.
Saves: Fort +37, Ref +10, Will +12
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 6, Con 60, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Pick 8
Feats: Improved Toughness (B), Abillity Focus (Lard Bounce), Abillity Fous( Lard Rot), Improved Initiative, Toughness (X3).
Enviroment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary or Pod (2-5)
Challange Rating: 17
Treasure: Standard
Advancement: 18-24 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

A Whale that Walks is not a whale with Legs. They are petionors that have gotten very, very hungry, and have never stopped eating. Now, these massive walls of lard may be slow, but nothing can stop them.

Lard Rot(EX); A foul disease that the Whale that walks secertes, this magical curse reverses any gains to any physical score. DC 10+1/2 HD+Con mod to negate.

Lard Bounce(EX); The fat and blubber that covers the whale that walks is amazingly thick and resilent. Anytime it's delt physical damage, that damage is halved, and the attacker must make a Ref saving throw or take the negated damage. DC is 10+1/2 level+Con mod. Attackers using Reach weapons gain +8 Bonus to the saving throw, and attackers using ranged weapons recive a +2 bonus per 5ft they are from the whale that walks.

Steward
2012-07-05, 07:28 PM
Tzitzimime

Size/Type: Huge Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Obyrith)
Hit Dice: 18d8+90 (171 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (5 squares); fly 60 ft. (good)
Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 28 (+10 natural, +2 Dex, +8 deflection. -2 size), touch 18, flat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+35
Attack: Tentacle +25 melee (1d8+14 plus stun)
Full Attack: 3 tentacles +25 melee (1d8+14 plus stun) or starbeam
Space/Reach: 15 ft./20 ft.
Special Attacks: Form of madness, improved grab, star beam
Special Qualities: Blindsense, DR 10/cold iron or good, frightful presence, regeneration, spell resistance 23, veil of horror, obyrith traits
Saves: Reflex +23, Fortitude +23, Will +23
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 15, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 10
Skills: Choose six
Feats: Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Natural Armor, Power Attack, Powerful Charge, Snatch
Environment: The 885th layer of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary or battalion (3 - 5) or horde (12 - 15)
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Double standard
Advancement - 19 - 21 HD (Huge); 22-26 HD (Gargantuan); 27+ (Colossal)

The fiend you see before you is blurry and indistinct. It has the rough shape of a starfish the size of a small castle, with slick, oil-black flesh and five tendrils covered in wriggling cilia. Though it has no visible mouths, the air around it visible ripples with the sound of thousands of alien screams, all layered upon each other to form an anguished symphony.

Combat:

Blindsense (Ex): A tzitzimime can locate creatures within 60 feet by nonvisual means (a combination of hearing, scent, or by sensing vibrations).

Form of madness (Su): A creature within 60 feet that observes a tzitzimime must attempt a DC 19 Will save. Failure indicates that the creature's mind is flooded by hallucinations of the alien stars from which the demons originally came. The victim suffers a -4 profane penalty to attack rolls and saving throws made against that tzitzimime or its abilities; in addition, she cannot use arcane spells or spell-like abilities while within 30 feet of that tzitzimime. This condition can be lifted by heal, restoration, miracle, or wish. Any creature that makes this save, or has the negative effects of this ability healed by a spell, is immune to that particular tzitzimime's form of madness ability for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability that does not affect chaotic evil outsiders. The save DC is Charisma base.

Frightful presence (Ex): Apart from its horrific form of madness, a tzitzimime can also unsettle foes with its mere presence. This ability takes effect automatically whenever the tzitzimime attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within 60 feet that have fewer HD than the tzitzimime must succeed on a Will save (DC 19) or be shaken for 1d6 rounds. This ability has no effect on other chaotic evil outsiders; creatures who successfully save against remain immune to the frightful presence of that tzitzimime for 24 hours.

Improved grab (Ex): If a tzitzimime hits with its tentacle attack, it can attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. This ability can be used even against creatures that are the same size category as the tzitzimime.

Regeneration (Ex): Lawful- or good-aligned weapons inflict normal damage to a tzitzimime. A tzitzimime that loses a limb or a part of its body mass can regrow it in 1d6 rounds.

Starbeam (Su): Tzitzimimes arrived to the Abyss from the stars, and still draw some magic from their alien home. As a full-round action, a tzitzimime can fire a coruscating bolt of light at a single target within range (Reflex save DC 24 negates). This attack inflicts 4d6 points of force damage and 1d3 negative levels (DC 19 Will negates).

Stun (Su): Creatures struck by a tzitzimime's tentacle slam must succeed on a DC 24 Fortitude save or be stunned for 1d3 rounds.

Veil of horror (Su): The greatest demons may cloak themselves in the throbbing chaos of the Abyss. Due to the chaotic energy that swirls around them, any arcane divination spell that targets a tzitzimime has an 80% chance of failing.

revision: terminology fix ("axiomatic" to "lawful")

It's basically a walking tank from the stars; big, strong, and ugly. It can hold its own in hand-to-tentacle combat but specializes in ruining arcane spellcasters.

inuyasha
2012-07-05, 09:46 PM
wheeheehee me likey heheheheee

DracoDei
2012-07-06, 11:39 AM
Splatter (Ex)

A blibix can jump a distance equal to its speed with no check. If it moves at least half its speed in this way, it sends off goo that deals 6d6 acid damage to everything in a radius equal to the distance it moved (Reflex DC 30 half, Constitution-based).

Splatter can be used as a move or immediate action.
I was going to say that 6d6 AoE damage, even with high DC, radius and a rarely resisted type (less of a difference for PCs probably) was a bit weak for a CR 17... then I noticed it can do it 3 times per round: two move actions during turn, plus an immediate whenever the PCs cluster momentarily... or right before/after its turn, or during its turn if Immediate actions can work that way.

Anathema (Su)

Whenever a blibix receives damage or other negative effect from a spell with the Good descriptor or good-aligned weapon, the caster of the spell or wielder of the weapon receives the same effect. When this happens, the blibix's body spikes glow red hot, and deal +3d6 additional fire damage for 1 round.
Might want to clarify if this stacks (probably not), and if it applies to a melee attack that triggered the Anathema ability, or just to later attacks in the round. Probably doesn't and is meant to be mostly a threat to full-attackers.

Lard Rot(EX); A foul disease that the Whale that walks secertes, this magical curse reverses any gains to any physical score. DC 10+1/2 HD+Con mod to negate.
"Gains" needs to be better defined. Does it include level up bonuses? Restoration and/or natural healing from ability damage/drain that occurred years ago?

Regeneration (Ex): Axiomatic or good-aligned weapons inflict normal damage to a tzitzimime. A tzitzimime that loses a limb or a part of its body mass can regrow it in 1d6 rounds.
Your terminology is inconsistent. Should be "Lawful or good-aligned weapons inflict normal damage to a tzitzimime."

inuyasha
2012-07-07, 08:24 AM
eh i understood his terminology

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-07, 09:41 AM
eh i understood his terminology

Good homebrew plays nice with others. What I mean by this is the terminology should be applicable to the system, and there for terminology that is accurate is important.

yougi
2012-07-07, 01:20 PM
Beastmen
Large sized Outsider (Evil)
HD 11d8+55 (103hp)
Init +4;
Speed 40, fly 80ft (good)
AC 24 (+4 Dex, +11 Natural, -1 size) T13, FF 20
Attack: Gore +14/+9 (3d6+10) or Magic ray +9/+9 (4d6+1)
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: SR 20, Regeneration 5, outsider traits, immunity to fire, change shape, see through magical darkness, DR3/-
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +7
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 12, Chr 22
Skills: Bluff +11, Concentration +13, Diplomacy +8, Gather Information +6, Know Arcana +5, Listen +9, Move Silently +3, Ride +4, Spellcraft +10, Spot +9
Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot
CR: 14
Alignment: CE

Outsider traits: Darkvision 60ft, can't be raised
Change shape: Any small, medium or large humanoid, monstrous humanoid, animal or giant, at will
Can see through magical darkness
Spell-like Abilities: At will darkness, invisibility, entropic shield, see invisibility, gaseous form, cone of cold, charm person, sleep, CL 9th.

Beastdemon
Medium-size outsider (Evil)
HD: 33d8+231 (379hp)
Intitiative: +14
Speed: 20ft, fly 60ft (average)
AC: 42 (+14 Dex, +18 natural), FF 28, Touch 24
Attacks: Bite +49/+44/+39/+34 (2d8+10, +3d6 fire) and Gore +44 (2d6+5)
Special Attacks: Fire Breath, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: DR15/+6, immunities, outsider traits, SR35, summon tanar'ri
Saves: Fort +25, Ref +32, Will +25
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 38, Con 24, Int 28, Wis 26, Cha 30
Skills: Bluff +43, Concentration +40, Craft (weaponsmith) +33, Diplomacy +51, Gather Information +43, Intimidate +50, Knowledge (planes) +42, Knowledge (Arcana) +42, Knowledge (religion) +42, Listen +45, Ride +41, Search +42, Sense Motive +43, Spellcraft +42, Spot +45, Wilderness Lore +43
Feats: Combat Casting, Combat Reflexes, Dark Speech (BoVD), Mounted Combat, Power Attack, Sunder, Weapon Focus (Bite), Weapon Focus (Gore), Improved Natural Weapon (Bite).
CR: 22
Alignment: CE

Fire Breath: A Beastdemon can breath a 30ft cone of fire, causing 10d6 points of fire damage, with a Reflex save (DC33) for half damage. After using it, a Beastdemon cannot use it again for 1d4 rounds.

Spell-like abilities: At will - acid arrow, animate dead, desecrate, detect chaos/good/evil/law, detect magic, fireball, greater dispelling, insanity, magic missile, meteor swarm, polymorph self, ray of enfeeblement, see invisibility, teleport without error, unhallow - CL20th, save 20+spell level.

Immunities: Beastdemon are immune to fire, cold, sleep, charm and fear.

Outsider traits: Cannot be raised, darkvision 60ft.

Summon tanar'ri: A Beastdemon can summon 2d6 Beastmen, with 50% chance of success.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-07, 01:49 PM
K, will edit Lard Rot. This only affects non level up or inherrent gains. You used a wish spell? It don't penalize. You poped rage? -4 to -8 str and con:smallbiggrin: Or, a caster used bulls strength on you? -4 Str, magic item giving you a physical boost? Now it's a penalty. And the item isn't the thing thats cursed, it's you:smallbiggrin:

Also, will be editing in his Fast healing/Regneration mechanic, which he needs to swollow something first. What? I based him off being a pig, might as well have something that makes the eating something for power even more obvious.

inuyasha
2012-07-07, 07:58 PM
btw when i sayed he rages i ment to add he frenzys because of 10 evil stupid monster smashing levels of barbarian, when he frenzys his strength gets a +10 :smalleek::smallyuk::smallyuk::smalleek:

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-07, 08:16 PM
btw when i sayed he rages i ment to add he frenzys because of 10 evil stupid monster smashing levels of barbarian, when he frenzys his strength gets a +10 :smalleek::smallyuk::smallyuk::smalleek:

Is the +10 Str/Con bonus due to level up/Epic feats? He now gets a penalty:smallbiggrin:

inuyasha
2012-07-07, 11:27 PM
no it is due to his frenzy-ing which is like raging but in a prestige class

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-08, 09:31 AM
Ya, so morale Bonus. It gets turned into a penalty:smallbiggrin: