PDA

View Full Version : Starting Forgotten Realms and have a few Questions

LordRahl6
2012-07-05, 01:37 PM
I started reading some Forgotten Realms books a month or so ago, and I have a few questions for those of you more familar with it.

First off what is the best place to start given its enormity and short run in primiere bookstores like Barnes and Noble that I go after. (Note: Do Not say Legend of Drizzt as I have the first 7 already.)

Secondly, I noticed in Homeland that Drizzt's Lavender eyes are unusual for a drow. Did Salvatore give a more complete answer as to why this is or are we to accept it without further discussion?

Velaryon
2012-07-05, 03:20 PM
There are tons of Forgotten Realms novels, many of which I've never read, so I can't give a complete answer.

With regard to the Legend of Drizzt series, as long as you're reading them more or less in order, it doesn't matter. I do however recommend skipping the book in the Paths of Darkness series that centers on Wulfgar (I believe it's The Silent Blade), because it's terrible. Seriously, don't waste your time on it.

If you enjoy R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt series, you might look into his Cleric Quintet as well. There is a small amount of crossover with the Drizzt series, but it doesn't really matter when you read one in relation to the other. I found the Cleric Quintet enjoyable, but not among his best work.

Once you have a good feel for those series, I definitely recommend looking into the War of the Spider Queen series. Well, unless you decide you hate Faerunian drow, anyway. They were easily my favorite Forgotten Realms novels, although in fairness there are a lot that I still haven't read.

I've had little luck in tracking down many of the older novels such as the Elminster books (I try to get them through libraries rather than buying them), so I can't vouch for those.

Tyrant
2012-07-05, 05:01 PM
I started reading some Forgotten Realms books a month or so ago, and I have a few questions for those of you more familar with it.

First off what is the best place to start given its enormity and short run in primiere bookstores like Barnes and Noble that I go after. (Note: Do Not say Legend of Drizzt as I have the first 7 already.)

Secondly, I noticed in Homeland that Drizzt's Lavender eyes are unusual for a drow. Did Salvatore give a more complete answer as to why this is or are we to accept it without further discussion?
It depends on what you are looking for. I don't know if you are aware, but there is a roughly 100 year time jump at a certain point in the setting and there are very few books that cover that interim period. Most of the books you would find on the shelves right now are in the post time jump era. The Drizzt books eventually hit this point as well and the current set is taking place during the transition.

I don't know if they are still commonly on the shelves, but the Haunted Lands Trilogy by Richard Lee Byers was on the better end of FR books. It takes place in Thay, on the opposite side of the continent, and details the civil war that takes place there throughout the 100 year transition. Another series by the same author, the Brotherhood of the Griffon, follows some of the same characters in the present and should be readily available (there are 4 so far with a 5th due out next year).

If you can find them, the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series is a nice look at Waterdeep in the present. There are 6 books and they can be read in any order as the events in them aren't connected. They are Blackstaff Tower, Mistshore, Downshadow, City of the Dead, The God Catcher, and Circle of Skulls. The books are available in two collected sets. The book Downshadow leads into Shadowbane and another book by Erik Scott De Bie, though Shadowbane and the second (as of yet unreleased) book are e-book only at the moment. If you find that you like Mistshore, there is a sequel set to release later this year (also e-book only) and the author has also written two other books, Unbroken Chain and Unbroken Chain: The Darker Road so you might check those out if you like Mistshore.

If you want some better answers you might want to check here (http://forum.candlekeep.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6), the book section of the Candlekeep forum (a FR centric forum). They can give you some good ideas of where to go.

Faulty
2012-07-05, 10:10 PM
I really loved the Starlight & Shadows trilogy. Also follows a turncoat Drow but she's a lot more ambiguous and complicated than Drizz't, I think.

erikun
2012-07-06, 01:06 AM
If you like Drow, there is the Lady Penitent trilogy (focusing on Eilistraee) and War of the Spider Queen. I liked Lady Penitent, with War of the Spider Queen less so.

Rake21
2012-07-06, 12:07 PM
Salvatore's "Sellsword" trilogy is a pretty good read, if you want a villain story.

Nai_Calus
2012-07-06, 12:50 PM
I hated the Lady Penitent novels. So much idiot ball carrying, bad characterization, lore failures and of course the ridiculous events themselves. Completely ruined drow in FR for me.

There's three names you need to know. Elaine Cunningham, Paul S. Kemp and Erik Scott de Bie. All three are excellent and well worth the reads.

LordRahl6
2012-07-06, 01:27 PM
Thanks for some of the assistance with the books guys. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking with regards to what to read. :smallwink: I also picked up the Empyrean Odyssey Trilogy which from coverd the biggest of the changes to the Realms. Especially: Mystra's "deicide" and its aftermath:smalleek:

BiblioRook
2012-07-07, 09:45 PM
Second Starlight and Shadows (Elaine Cunningham)

Also, while not terribly fond of the Drizzt books I must admit, I also really enjoyed the Clerics Quintet (it's not often when you get a cleric as the main character) and the Sellswords books.

If you feel adventurous you can try going old school. The 'Second Edition' books as I tend to call them are also rather enjoyable in the campy fantasy kind of way. The Finderís Stone Trilogy (Azure Bonds being the first book) being my favorite. These you aren't likely to find new in a bookstore however.

Starwulf
2012-07-08, 01:02 AM
Hmm, I could probably give you one of the most detailed reading orders that you're likely to find, but it would take me about an hour to write down all the books on my shelf. I have them all listed in how I believe FR as a whole should be read in. 157 Forgotten Realms books are in my collection at this moment, sadly I'm still missing about 100 books ><

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-08, 02:22 AM
I would say outside of Drizzt books, I second the mention of Paul S. Kemp. His Erevis Cale novels are probably my favorite FR books out there. Too bad he stopped working for WotC :(

Other than that, I second The Haunted Lands Trilogy mention, as well as Byers' earlier Year of Rogue Dragons Trilogy. I think Byers is a very good writer and I get my perfect combination of interesting story combined with action. I have a lot more FR books, but these are only from the time period between like 2000 and like...the transition to 4E, whenever that was.

I enjoy the characters and story of the War of the Spider Queen, much as I'm tired of said Spider Queen and her stupid people, and even though from what I hear, it headed in a direction I wouldn't have liked, I liked the idea of having a saga written by different authors each time.

Some other ones that aren't the best for delving into the lore of the setting, but are just sort of fun, interesting reads, were two of The Fighters series. The ones I liked were Master of Chains by...I forgot who, as I lost my copy, and Ghostwalker by Erik Scott de Bie, who I believe was already mentioned. He also wrote The Depths of Madness, which was part of The Dungeons series, which were all, partially anyway, about dungeons. I thought TDoM was a pretty good book, but I completely despised the main character. The entire time, I wished she would have died. Also worht mentioning, another The Dungeons novel Stardeep had a really interesting concept and it set up for the whole Abolethic Sovereignty thing in 4E FR, despite me finding the characters not especially interesting. Although I do recall one very touching scene where a minor character met his end.

I have several more, some I never finished, some I don't remember so well, but the thing was I started collecting a lot later than I would have liked and it's unfortunate. I would have liked to read...whatever books were about that guy Elaith Craulnober, or like the Watercourse Trilogy (if that's the one I'm thinking of). So many books to pick up and so little money to do it.

Kyberwulf
2012-07-08, 07:05 AM
I remember reading somewhere, I cannnot remember if it was 2nd edition of a d20 product, that drows with lavandar eyes had Human in their ancestery somewhere. I don't remember who it was, but it wasn't salvatore that wrote the thing.

Starwulf
2012-07-08, 11:53 PM
I would say outside of Drizzt books, I second the mention of Paul S. Kemp. His Erevis Cale novels are probably my favorite FR books out there. Too bad he stopped working for WotC :(

Too bad he stopped working for WotC :(

stopped working for WotC

stopped working for WotC

WHHHHHAAAAATTTT!?!?!?!?!?!?

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!??! WHY?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Omg that sucks so much, he was working on a third set of trilogies for Erevis, this one centered around his son. I have a book somewhere that literally has a freaking excerpt from the book, mentioning how his son is a paladin and is out looking for his father that he knows nothing about. >< DSKLJK:SJL:FJL:JL:FJDS Is how I feel right about now, if you insert an extremely vulgar and very loud cuss-word for each and every letter in that previous spaz out.

:-( I'm going off into a corner to cry my eyes out now. Erevis Cale is my favorite character in all of the forgotten realms, even higher then Raidon Kane whom I absolutely love. So very very sad now :-(

Argh....man....why would he leave? Nooo...I want the match-up between Mephistopheles and Riven! After Riven impaled him from behind and told him to never set foot outside of Mephs level of hell, I've wanted to see them go at it so badly. .....Blah, I'm so upset now, literally, over the loss of the continuation of the Erevis Cale series.

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-09, 02:16 AM

Are you freaking kidding me?!?!??! WHY?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Omg that sucks so much, he was working on a third set of trilogies for Erevis, this one centered around his son. I have a book somewhere that literally has a freaking excerpt from the book, mentioning how his son is a paladin and is out looking for his father that he knows nothing about. >< DSKLJK:SJL:FJL:JL:FJDS Is how I feel right about now, if you insert an extremely vulgar and very loud cuss-word for each and every letter in that previous spaz out.

:-( I'm going off into a corner to cry my eyes out now. Erevis Cale is my favorite character in all of the forgotten realms, even higher then Raidon Kane whom I absolutely love. So very very sad now :-(

Argh....man....why would he leave? Nooo...I want the match-up between Mephistopheles and Riven! After Riven impaled him from behind and told him to never set foot outside of Mephs level of hell, I've wanted to see them go at it so badly. .....Blah, I'm so upset now, literally, over the loss of the continuation of the Erevis Cale series.

Dude, how are you just hearing about this? I...God, I'm sorry to be the one to have to break this to you. Yeah, he severed his ties with them back in like 2009 or 2010. I used to follow Paul S. Kemp's LiveJournal and that's how I found out.

Was Raidon Kane from the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy? I started the first, but never finished it. I liked him in Stardeep.

Tyrant
2012-07-09, 09:54 AM

This (http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/273952.html), coupled with his posts on Candlekeep for the last 2 years or so seem to indicate that the books are in fact coming out. But, things are apparently a little off in the WotC book department so getting a straight answer as to "when?" has been slow going. Some sites are saying November of this year, though no one seems positive of that. I believe the Cycle of Night books will see the light of day.

LordRahl6
2012-07-09, 10:26 AM
Thanks again guys for the suggestions. Byers novels were on my short list already, but thanks confirming my ideas. I'm also looking into the Elminster books (got in Myth Drannor yesterday.:smallcool:)

Finally, thanks to kyberwolf for a short earlier edition answer to my question concerning Drizzt's lavender eyes.:smallwink:

Starwulf
2012-07-09, 12:51 PM
This (http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/273952.html), coupled with his posts on Candlekeep for the last 2 years or so seem to indicate that the books are in fact coming out. But, things are apparently a little off in the WotC book department so getting a straight answer as to "when?" has been slow going. Some sites are saying November of this year, though no one seems positive of that. I believe the Cycle of Night books will see the light of day.

oh thank god...Thank you for the good news! And, I don't read LiveJournals or anything of anyone, so I rarely know what's going on with stuff LOL.

I feel calm and at peace now :)

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-09, 07:18 PM

Oh, wow. I haven't really looked at his LiveJournal in a long long time. I hadn't heard anything about them getting back together. That's whacky. I never thought they would get it back together. Wow.

Then again, at that point in time, I had a very low opinion of WotC at the time and Kemp wasn't the only writer I followed who recently had troubles with the company and I HATED 4E Forgotten Realms, so yeah.

But God, I'm excited now.

Winter_Wolf
2012-07-09, 08:56 PM
Hey, I'm reading some FR novels now, too! Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials, and Masquerades follow (mostly) the adventures of a sellsword named Alias. There's about a 10 year gap (real life and in-story) between Song of the Saurials and Masquerades, in which it's assumed that Alias has been up to other random adventures.

I've never read the original Moonshae trilogy, but the three books taking place a generation later with the royal family of Moonshae, Druidhome trilogy, were enjoyable. And I've somehow lost my copies of them. :smallannoyed:

Edit: As to Drizzt's eyes being unusual, I vaguely recall something in RAS's novels about how normal drow all have red eyes (at least the Menzoberranzon variety), and they feared that having lavender eyes was a sign of baby Drizzt's blindness. There was definitely a sense of "that boy ain't right" when they found out he wasn't a red-eyed drow.

Starwulf
2012-07-09, 11:19 PM
Hey, I'm reading some FR novels now, too! Azure Bonds, The Wyvern's Spur, Song of the Saurials, and Masquerades follow (mostly) the adventures of a sellsword named Alias. There's about a 10 year gap (real life and in-story) between Song of the Saurials and Masquerades, in which it's assumed that Alias has been up to other random adventures.

I've never read the original Moonshae trilogy, but the three books taking place a generation later with the royal family of Moonshae, Druidhome trilogy, were enjoyable. And I've somehow lost my copies of them. :smallannoyed:

Edit: As to Drizzt's eyes being unusual, I vaguely recall something in RAS's novels about how normal drow all have red eyes (at least the Menzoberranzon variety), and they feared that having lavender eyes was a sign of baby Drizzt's blindness. There was definitely a sense of "that boy ain't right" when they found out he wasn't a red-eyed drow.

Oooh, lend me your copies of Wyverns Spur and Song of the Saurials! I haven't had much luck in finding a decent copy of them, I keep finding them but they are all beat up, ripped up covers, torn pages, stained >< I don't buy books like that, so I've been stuck at Azure Bonds, which I found in a goodwill store in Baltimore a few years ago. LOL

Winter_Wolf
2012-07-11, 03:31 AM
Oooh, lend me your copies of Wyverns Spur and Song of the Saurials! I haven't had much luck in finding a decent copy of them, I keep finding them but they are all beat up, ripped up covers, torn pages, stained >< I don't buy books like that, so I've been stuck at Azure Bonds, which I found in a goodwill store in Baltimore a few years ago. LOL

Honestly, my copies are all beat up, ripped up covers, torn pages, and stained. Also their spines have been broken and the glue that holds the pages together is so worn out that I'm sure I'm going to start losing pages out of them soon. Hey, they're first-prints and over 20 years old. I'm surprised they haven't disintegrated. I'm not sure they could survive the shipping (China --> US Eastern seaboard). :smallwink:

I've never read a book to death, as it were, but these books are about as close as I've managed so far. I was actually planning to buy new copies of each, but from your post it sounds like they're not to be had. :smallfrown:

Starwulf
2012-07-11, 03:39 PM
Honestly, my copies are all beat up, ripped up covers, torn pages, and stained. Also their spines have been broken and the glue that holds the pages together is so worn out that I'm sure I'm going to start losing pages out of them soon. Hey, they're first-prints and over 20 years old. I'm surprised they haven't disintegrated. I'm not sure they could survive the shipping (China --> US Eastern seaboard). :smallwink:

I've never read a book to death, as it were, but these books are about as close as I've managed so far. I was actually planning to buy new copies of each, but from your post it sounds like they're not to be had. :smallfrown:

Ahh, that sucks that you're copies are in bad condition as well(I wasn't reaaally being serious about shipping it to me obviously), but yeah, finding them in GOOD condition, is a lot easier said then done, I imagine if you search on Amazon/Ebay constantly you might find some good copies, but even the few copies I've found were listed in "ok" condition, and that usually means significant issues with them.

Kish
2012-07-11, 03:47 PM
Not quite. Everyone who uses infravision--drow, surface elf, halfling, dwarf--has eyes which glow red when doing so, in Salvatore's books if nowhere else.

Drizzt's eyes glowing purple instead is his badge of Not Like Other Drow--nothing more, nothing less.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-11, 06:49 PM
Drow eyes are white. Except in infravision.

And it's not a matter of human blood, nobody else in the family has lavender eyes.

LordRahl6
2012-07-16, 01:03 PM
Thanks again guys for the help with a few a of my questions. So it looks like the thing with Drizzt's eyes is personal to him.Oh well.:smallsigh:

Cikomyr
2012-07-18, 12:35 PM
Wait. Something doesn't make sense.

Infra/darkvision is black and white. They needed light to notice the color or Drizzt's eyes.

So how can drow's eyes be of any color when using darkvision? If you use darkvision, you can't see color.

Kish
2012-07-18, 12:40 PM
There's no such thing as "infra/darkvision." There's darkvision and there's infravision and they do not function interchangeably.

Infravision lets you see temperature variations. Any heat source, including the bodies of living creatures, glows red. Any source of cold glows blue. If it's room temperature, you can't see it at all with infravision; infravision will do nothing to prevent you from being taken totally by surprise when a skeleton suddenly rakes you with its claws, should you be relying solely on infravision to see.

In Salvatore's writing if nowhere else, when a standard drow/surface elf/halfling/etc. use infravision, their eyes become glowing red points of light. If you're using infravision, you won't be able to see them not because your vision is black and white (it isn't, since infravision isn't darkvision) but because their entire body, being a heat source, glows red to your eyes. If you're looking at Drizzt, on the other hand, you'll note a glowing red elven shape with glowing purple dots for eyes. If you're not using infravision and look at someone who is, you'll see glowing red eyes, unless it's Drizzt, in which case you'll see glowing purple eyes.

Edited to add: "In Salvatore's writing if nowhere else" applies only to the eyes glowing. "Infravision means heat shows as red and cold shows as blue" is straight from 2ed AD&D, the last edition before they retired infravision. I don't actually know that AD&D in 1ed didn't function exactly like darkvision in 3.xed, but I'm not going to bet that way.

LordRahl6
2012-07-18, 01:32 PM
I figured it was similar thing about the infravision/darkvision issue. I quickly recognized that the halfing part of it was written out with 3rd edition. However, I also recognize to an individual that exists in that world someone that has the darkvision ability, the logical way that it would manifest should be in seeing in the infrared spectrum to us, aka heat. So mostly to us it should be a change in technical jargon.:smallwink:

Edit: The first Drizzt books were indeed from the TSR era. Crystal Shard was the second FR novel ever written. In fact, as I've probably stated my volumes of Icewind Dale Trilogy are from the TSR era.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-18, 01:48 PM
Wait. Something doesn't make sense.

Infra/darkvision is black and white. They needed light to notice the color or Drizzt's eyes.

So how can drow's eyes be of any color when using darkvision? If you use darkvision, you can't see color.

Because Salvatore started writing during AD&D or 2e. Back when darkvision was infravision. And he didn't change with the editions, there's consistency to think about.

I think Drizz't's eyes are lavender in both visions.

hamishspence
2012-07-18, 03:02 PM
Yup- Drizzt's mother Malice specifically gets out a candle to check his eye colour in the light- and they are all surprised that he doesn't cry (strong light hurts drow).

Kish
2012-07-20, 01:15 PM
I figured it was similar thing about the infravision/darkvision issue. I quickly recognized that the halfing part of it was written out with 3rd edition. However, I also recognize to an individual that exists in that world someone that has the darkvision ability, the logical way that it would manifest should be in seeing in the infrared spectrum to us, aka heat. So mostly to us it should be a change in technical jargon.:smallwink:
I don't know about "should" or "logical." I know that an ability to see heat and cold is quite, quite different from an ability to see regardless of temperature in black and white; in other words, darkvision is not renamed infravision.

LordRahl6
2012-07-20, 02:01 PM
I guess there is some truth to your statement, Kish. The Darkvision issue is indeed different than infravision.

I'm reading The Crystal Mountain, the last of the Empyrean Odyssey trilogy, and I'm left with one question after the first hundred pages. What in the Nine Hells is a 'Astral Kraken', that was devouring the remains of Dweomerheart?:smallconfused:

Edit: Thanks Again, Kish. I wasn't sure what I was looking at. The descrption reminded me of the Mauglyrms from the Plane of Shadow that Elminster hates sooomuch.:smallamused:

Kish
2012-07-20, 02:42 PM
Something from the Planar Handbook, apparently.

(Page 109. Can't give more details, don't have the book.)

SoC175
2012-07-21, 06:40 AM
In 4e krakens are not merely magical animals but aberrations from the Far Realm. Astral Krakens are krakens that settled in the astral plane rather than in the world's oceans.

In game terms they are gargantuan level 25 solo controllers

Winter_Wolf
2012-07-21, 08:21 AM
I've thought of more FR novels that I quite enjoyed. The Maztica trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maztica_Trilogy) (which I've also somehow lost :smallannoyed:!) was good enough that it started to suffer from the broken spines and torn pages that most of my favorite books eventually get. Iron Helm, Viperhand, and Feathered Dragon are set in FR's "New World" and follow the story of Amnish conquistadors and the local Mazticans. Things go about as well as you'd expect if you use Spanish and Central American instead of Amnish and Maztican. I don't think that's any more spoilerish than if you'd read the back covers of the three books, anyway.

SoC175
2012-07-22, 03:49 PM
As far as FR novels go I have read a lot and I was pleasantly surprised when one of the recent managed to conquer the top spot of being my favorite FR novel ever: City of the Dead

To me this novel about two simple protagonists (which I would classify as a commoner and a first level wizard) is just beautiful.

If you look for flights of dragons and clashes of deities look elsewhere (e.g. Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy or Erevis Cale trilogy), but for me, after having read well over 200 of them on my way the "read them all", it's the greatest FR novel ever.

Before coming to CotD my favorite series was Songs & Swords by Elaine Cunningham and I couldn't really pin down a single novel as my favorite. Thus I recommend that you read S&S series as well.

PS: So far I also enjoyed all Anthologies (Realms of [...]) each one had at least on short story that made it well worth having read the book, usually several were very good

LordRahl6
2012-07-22, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I went to a used bookstore and saw that they had Ironhelm as well as several other FR novels as well like Daughter of Drow, but I was focusing in on Drizzt and Elminister so I didn't pick up those. In fact, if you don't mind the inconsistency of novels, used bookstores are great places to pick up novels.:smallwink:

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-23, 10:47 AM
In fact, if you don't mind the inconsistency of novels, used bookstores are great places to pick up novels.:smallwink:

This is pretty much how every bit of my exposure to Dragonlance was. The first eight books I read in that setting were not at all connected to each other.

And honestly, I was mostly offering Erevis Cale and the Year of Rogue Dragons because I think they are well written and I just like them. Also, in a weird way, the Erevis Cale books are the only reason I was ever able to take clerics seriously. Like before I could never see them as something I could play (then again, this was a point in my life where I was surrounded by atheists and the older group I played with were super strict about alignments and worship)

As for the Year of Rogue Dragons, I mostly like it because it's well written enough that I suspend my disbelief and accept that their dragon fighting strategy hinges on them having the half-golem be a chew toy for the damn thing :P Other than that, I REALLY hate dragons sometimes, mostly because of DMs using them to be douches, so I like seeing them taken down a peg.

That all being said, can you give me a little more info about this City of the Dead, SoC175?

SoC175
2012-07-23, 12:39 PM
That all being said, can you give me a little more info about this City of the Dead, SoC175?It's this one (http://www.amazon.com/City-Dead-Greenwood-Presents-Waterdeep/dp/078695129X)