PDA

View Full Version : 3% Of the Human Population of 21 and Under Becomes Diclonii (Elfen Lied)

Leliel
2012-07-06, 02:23 PM
As the title suggests, a particularly sadistic/reckless Random Omnipotent Being (that really needs to be a concept on more boards) mutates 3 percent of everyone (of both genders) or younger into diclonii, with all that implies (vectors, Sillipelt virus, pink hair, weird ear-horns, sterility...). Our dear ROB, however, deigns to not activate the "kill all humans" preservation instincts, and since that humans in the real world happen to have souls, they do not activate on their own, in most cases, instantly.

Before we begin, genetic engineering can create a vaccine for the Sillipelt virus and return fertility, though whether or not humanity lives that long is a question up in the air.

So, what happens to the world now?

Pokonic
2012-07-06, 02:42 PM
Well, I would hide somewhere. What happens to other people, however, is up to debate:smalltongue:

Yora
2012-07-06, 03:52 PM
Well, in practice it's the same as some people having a gun and some don't. That's common in large parts of the world in the 19th to 21st century, so the ability to kill at any time shouldn't make such a huge difference.

However you do have the special addition that the people who can kill with vectors can only be killed by other people who have them as well. If you don't have them, you can't buy a reasonably priced device to even the field.

But then, 3% is a really big number. For anyone who think it's great going around killing people because they can, there would be a couple who would stop them.

And even with vectors, 3 vs 1 would be a rather short fight. It probably wouldn't take long for teams of people with the power to form, which keep track and deal with those of their kind, who step out of line. Again, I don't see a significant change here.

The really big difference would probably be that there are now people with very long arms who can lift really heavy loads. Someone parked his car poorly and you can't get into the empty spot next to it? Lift it up an position it correctly. :smallbiggrin:
Buildings collapsed and you can't use heavy equipment to search for trapped people? Get out the vectors! It's really useful.

Mr.Silver
2012-07-06, 06:12 PM
First up, it's worth noting that the under 21s demographic accounts for a fair chunk of the human population. As of January 2011, the under 15s alone accounted for over 26% of people and given that the population has gone up since then (and everyone in that group then is in the under 21 group today) it's going to be an even larger percentage now. AFAIK there aren't any hard statistics on it right now, but at guesstimate we're probably talking about at least 0.8% of the world's population being effected here. Current world population is approximately 7.05 billion (rounding down), giving us a number in the region of 56.4 million Diclonii. Note that this number is probably quite a bit lower that it actually would be.

Either way, that's a big enough chunk to start having some impact on society, even before we consider what exactly diclonii are capable of. Which is quite a lot. For most of the older children and teens I would imagine they might not be an immediate threat because they'll hopefully have the sense not to kill people (although there may be a few exceptions) at least unless they're provoked (which may be more problematic). The young children, however, are going to pose more of a danger because, being young children, that are at a higher risk of accidentally killing people whether in an emotional outburst or just because they won't think what they're doing (see also, pretty much the central premise of Elfen Lied). This is also not to say that the older children/teens aren't also at risk of accidentally killing people, because they are.
Bottom line: at least some people are going to get killed as a result of this change. This is going to make a lot of normal humans distinctly uneasy. There will be a lot of tension between Diclonii and wider human society (note that given the age range basically no diclonii will be created in positions of much social influence). It'll probably be something of an 'X-men' scenario (with diclonii taking the place of mutants) although how long a balance can be maintained, if did one can, is difficult to see and may likely vary a lot between different nations. Even in places where Diclonii aren't immediately rounded-up/persecuted any sort of balance is likely to be quite an uneasy one for quite a while.

Well, in practice it's the same as some people having a gun and some don't. That's common in large parts of the world in the 19th to 21st century, so the ability to kill at any time shouldn't make such a huge difference.
Except it isn't just giving some people a gun, it's giving some people a loaded which they will be carrying with them at all times, with the safety turned off as default and which for aiming purposes may as well be firing smart rounds. And basically all of the people with them will be children or teenagers.

TheSummoner
2012-07-07, 12:38 PM
Given how difficult it is to subdue even one of them, any attempts to immediately round-up/persecute them would be an invitation for disaster. Where before you may have had a few sociopaths who needed to be elminiated for the good of society as a whole, now you'll have a large group of them who are being pushed around by someone who is just plain weaker than them. And if they get pushed hard enough, they might just feel like pushing back... Only their pushing is strong enough that whatever they push tends to end up a red smear on the wall.

There are two big issues I see... What happens when someone with the newly developed powers doesn't realize their own strength... And what happens when someone does and decides to take advantage of it.

In the first case, you'd almost have to have some sort of education/training specifically designed for the diclonii. As unfortunate as it is, I really don't think your average person is suited to taking care of a child who could accidently kill them when throwing a tantrum...

In the second... Well, look at what it took to contain Lucy at the start of the series (and look how long that lasted). Normal prisons wouldn't be able to contain diclonii inclined towards crime. There really is no good answer...

Candle Jack
2012-07-07, 12:41 PM
Unless humanity suddenly develops a resistance to exploding like a ripe tomato dropped from the top of a three-story building, I would say our species is screwed.

Forum Explorer
2012-07-07, 01:11 PM
Given how difficult it is to subdue even one of them, any attempts to immediately round-up/persecute them would be an invitation for disaster. Where before you may have had a few sociopaths who needed to be elminiated for the good of society as a whole, now you'll have a large group of them who are being pushed around by someone who is just plain weaker than them. And if they get pushed hard enough, they might just feel like pushing back... Only their pushing is strong enough that whatever they push tends to end up a red smear on the wall.

There are two big issues I see... What happens when someone with the newly developed powers doesn't realize their own strength... And what happens when someone does and decides to take advantage of it.

In the first case, you'd almost have to have some sort of education/training specifically designed for the diclonii. As unfortunate as it is, I really don't think your average person is suited to taking care of a child who could accidently kill them when throwing a tantrum...

In the second... Well, look at what it took to contain Lucy at the start of the series (and look how long that lasted). Normal prisons wouldn't be able to contain diclonii inclined towards crime. There really is no good answer...

Honestly the methods they used to defeat the Diclonii in the manga were pretty silly brute force methods. A high powered sniper rifle would kill them before they knew they were under attack or they could have gassed them since they can't block that.

The first case isn't too bad. But you are right in that it couldn't be the average person. It would require special individuals who are well trained and willing to take the risk.

In the second Lucy isn't exactly a typical Diclonii. That was a big point of the series. Though despite all of her powers ordinary people were still enough to defeat and destroy her. Though yeah they probably would be just killed if they were abusing their power.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-09, 08:23 AM
Honestly the methods they used to defeat the Diclonii in the manga were pretty silly brute force methods. A high powered sniper rifle would kill them before they knew they were under attack or they could have gassed them since they can't block that.

The first case isn't too bad. But you are right in that it couldn't be the average person. It would require special individuals who are well trained and willing to take the risk.

In the second Lucy isn't exactly a typical Diclonii. That was a big point of the series. Though despite all of her powers ordinary people were still enough to defeat and destroy her. Though yeah they probably would be just killed if they were abusing their power.

This. A sniper round is supersonic. You're not going to even know it was fired until after it hits, and I can fire one from a LONG way away.

Still....it'll be terribly messy. Consider a toddler suddenly getting this power. Toddlers have temper tantrums. There are reasons why you don't hand a toddler a loaded machine gun, and all of those apply at least equally well here.

Forum Explorer
2012-07-09, 08:51 AM
This. A sniper round is supersonic. You're not going to even know it was fired until after it hits, and I can fire one from a LONG way away.

Still....it'll be terribly messy. Consider a toddler suddenly getting this power. Toddlers have temper tantrums. There are reasons why you don't hand a toddler a loaded machine gun, and all of those apply at least equally well here.

True true. I think our best bet would be to take the older people who gained these powers and train them to be sitters for the rest.

thubby
2012-07-09, 08:54 AM
elfen lied dicloni are only a problem because of evil abusive scientists. if people just treated them in a manner resembling normal, and i imagine they would, i don't see it being a problem.

Forum Explorer
2012-07-10, 04:59 AM
elfen lied dicloni are only a problem because of evil abusive scientists. if people just treated them in a manner resembling normal, and i imagine they would, i don't see it being a problem.

I mostly disagree. They wouldn't be a oh god the world is doomed problem but on an individual level accidental deaths would likely occur which might freak people out who form mobs which get killed leading to more issues.

So it could turn out reasonably bad if some bad luck and normal stupidity/fear

Morph Bark
2012-07-10, 05:09 AM
Do Diclonii possess eternal youth? Can they die from old age? If so, we just need to wait roughly 75 years and we can go on with our lives like nothing happened.

Mr.Silver
2012-07-11, 08:57 AM
Do Diclonii possess eternal youth? Can they die from old age? If so, we just need to wait roughly 75 years and we can go on with our lives like nothing happened.
Humans who come into contact with a Diclonius' Vector become infected with the Sillipelt Virus. This causes all their future offspring to be Diclonii.

In terms of 'potential destruction of the hum race' this is really going to be the big problem here. It's quite a major time-bomb, hence why some form of vaccine, or at least screening process, is going to have to be developled but the problem is it won't even be clear that it even exists until about 9 months after the event. Even then, it may not be immediately apparent what's causing the births. Basically, barring a particularly messy war/program of genocide the Diclonii population is likely to go up by quite a bit before a treatment for the virus comes into circulation.

This isn't entirely correct. Most Diclonii that do go into 'muder everything' mode do so at least in part as result of how their treated, but this treatment doesn't have to come at the hands of the organisation tasked with researching them and keeping them locked up. Lucy, for example, was just a messed-up, maladjusted orphan. A lot of people have bad childhoods or just end-up with violent tendencies. Statistically, at least some of them will be getting the telekinetic arms of death.
Moreover, as has been pointed out before, most of these Diclonii will be children, including younger children and infants. These are not groups of people known for having much in the way of self-control, which is a problem when they've been given the aforementioned telekinetic arms of death. Basically, there will be deaths as a result of this. That's practically guaranteed. The question is whether or not that will lead to an all-out war of extermination or not (which would not go particularly well for either side). I'd be inclined to think it probably wouldn't at first, but you would expect the normal population to be both afraid and distrustful of the Diclonii. As I said, we're looking at an X-Men type situation, which is notable for being a very precarious state of balance likely to produce violent extremists from both groups.