PDA

View Full Version : An Avatar vs A Terminator (T-800)

gooddragon1
2012-07-09, 03:23 PM
I was watching terminator 3 and noticed that the same guy who played a an avatar in avatar was a terminator in that movie.

If a t-800 was assigned to terminate an avatar (controlled by rorschach of the watchmen) with no weaponry for either one (though both have clothing of course since I don't want a repeat of the first 2 terminator movies...) who would win?

Battle takes place in a 50 by 50 by 50 foot cube with concrete walls of infinite thickness. Breathable atmosphere is not a problem and neither is illumination but cover is nonexistent. Basically it's a straight up fight with a lot of breathing room.

Pokonic
2012-07-09, 03:40 PM
I was watching terminator 3 and noticed that the same guy who played a an avatar in avatar was a terminator in that movie.

If a t-800 was assigned to terminate an avatar (controlled by rorschach of the watchmen) with no weaponry for either one (though both have clothing of course since I don't want a repeat of the first 2 terminator movies...) who would win?

Battle takes place in a 50 by 50 by 50 foot cube with concrete walls of infinite thickness. Breathable atmosphere is not a problem and neither is illumination but cover is nonexistent. Basically it's a straight up fight with a lot of breathing room.

Would it not simply be easier to have it be a Na'vi instead of a avatar? And besides, adding a third wheel into something like this never ends well.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-07-09, 04:51 PM
...oh, you mean that kind of avatar. Not an Avatar. :smallfrown:

Forum Explorer
2012-07-09, 05:16 PM
Assuming you mean an Avatar from Pandora (though you might not, you did mention Watchmen) then I would give this to the Terminator. They are comparable in strength and speed but the Avatar really can't do anything that will actually kill a Terminator who also will not grow tired. So the Terminator will always win.

Ricky S
2012-07-13, 07:28 AM
I assumed you meant an avatar of khaine. In that situation I would say the avatar would win.

Cen
2012-07-13, 07:40 AM
Which Avatar? Avatar Roko could easily firebend T-800 into oblivion, Avatar Kyoshi moved freaking continets with her feet, Aang would have no restrictions in using his powers (robot's ain't leaving beings)... Avatar of Khaine can destroy planets, Avatar from ultima is legendary superhero magic knight... I don't really see how it can be any chalange... And what has Rorschach to do with anything? seriously there are just to many 'avatars' in fiction, be more specific.

LaughingGnoll
2012-07-13, 07:54 AM
There's no reason to think that anything with an expendable amount of strength or lacking superpowers can take on a Terminator in hand to hand combat. The Terminator doesn't feel pain, and doesn't suffer in any way just because the organic material stretched over the robotic skeleton gets hurt or damaged. The first terminator movie showed that they are perfectly functional without any of their skin. The only blows that have been shown to slow them down are from shotguns, but we already mentioned that the fight is no-weapons.

I don't see much base of comparison to make this an actual vs. match which is viable to discuss. Sure, the Na'vi are more durable due to the carbon fiber reinforcement of their skeletons, but that's still nothing considering the Terminators are made of titanium. Unless you can manage to raise the heat of the room to somewhere near 430 degrees Celsius (and not kill yourself in the process), there's no comparison of strength. Sure, there may be a little dancing around while the Terminator adapts to the theoretically faster Na'vi's combat style, but I don't think the fight would last much longer than that. Evasion isn't enough to win a fight, especially considering one being will get tired and the other won't.

Honestly, I see no way for the avatar to win. Unless it could somehow manage to disable the main power source for the Terminator (the best guess we have at the source are the fusion cells in Rise of the Machines) then its a flat no brainer. Hasta la Vista Na'vi.

Eldan
2012-07-13, 08:11 AM
And here I was thinking D&D Avatars, making this a Roflstomp.

Anyway. Why Rorschach? I don't see him as that much of a skilled fighter. Ruthless, reckless, inventive and brutal, yes, but not all that skilled.

Cen
2012-07-13, 08:19 AM

Oh Na'avi avatar? easy - first ten seconds - T-800 kills avatar and after that he is forever imprisoned in "a 50 by 50 by 50 foot cube with concrete walls of infinite thickness" - Rorschach wins.

shadow_archmagi
2012-07-13, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the Na'Vi are tough but they're not really "Win a fistfight with a titanium killing machine" tough.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-13, 02:09 PM
I'm learning more towards the terminator, but it's only really 70-30 or maybe even 60-40.

thubby
2012-07-13, 02:57 PM
Na'Vi wins by size.

Arnold (and by extension terminator) is ~6'2" and weigh somewhere around 250+ lbs (they're made to imitate humans and can be picked up and moved by humans, they probably weigh a bit more but not excessively)

a male NaVi is 10 ft tall and weighs around 350 lb. they're also very lanky.

Na'Vi bludgeons terminator into the concrete from outside its reach. as "unstoppable" as they're depicted as being, terminators are routinely damaged by regular humans wielding things like hammers.
I can't see the larger, probably heavier, significantly faster, and combat trained NaVi losing this.

Forum Explorer
2012-07-13, 07:41 PM
Na'Vi wins by size.

Arnold (and by extension terminator) is ~6'2" and weigh somewhere around 250+ lbs (they're made to imitate humans and can be picked up and moved by humans, they probably weigh a bit more but not excessively)

a male NaVi is 10 ft tall and weighs around 350 lb. they're also very lanky.

Na'Vi bludgeons terminator into the concrete from outside its reach. as "unstoppable" as they're depicted as being, terminators are routinely damaged by regular humans wielding things like hammers.
I can't see the larger, probably heavier, significantly faster, and combat trained NaVi losing this.

wait what? When were terminators every harmed by hammers? Or picked up by humans? I mean we get a scene where a full squad of police unload pistols into a terminator and it does nothing. Or getting hit by a semi just stuns them for a few seconds.

Scowling Dragon
2012-07-13, 08:09 PM
And a Navi would just bloody its own fists trying to hurt a terminator. The only things I have seen seriously damage terminators where explosives and other terminators. And even then making sure that they stay dead is VERY hard.

ThirdEmperor
2012-07-13, 11:02 PM
He might be referring to the scene in the first movie where Kyle Whatshisface manages to hold of the Terminator for a few seconds with a length of rebar. I would point out though that he didn't actually damage it, just threw it off balance, as for all their supposedly indestructible terror, Terminators can be knocked down nearly as easy as a normal human.

I'd say the Na'avi would have the advantage for all of a minute or two. That's about the time it would take for it to wear itself out and reduce it's hands to a bloody pulp from beating on the T-800. From there, the Terminator simply stands back up with no damage and does what Terminators do best. It's really no contest, because the Avatar is a living creature and therefor will run out of energy centuries before a robot does.

Rorschach controlling the Avatar doesn't really help because his speciality is fighting dirty, using the environment, being smart and sneaky and ruthless. You can't really hit a Terminator in the nuts and there's nothing he could really turn to his advantage in a blank room, so I've got to give this to the T-800.

thubby
2012-07-13, 11:17 PM
wait what? When were terminators every harmed by hammers? Or picked up by humans? I mean we get a scene where a full squad of police unload pistols into a terminator and it does nothing. Or getting hit by a semi just stuns them for a few seconds.

i don't remember the exact scenes, but i recall someone jamming a piece of rebar or the like into one of their pelvises and it actually worked. or was that put there by an explosion?

as for their weight, they're throw away scenes, but you can see the remains of terminators being moved in random spots.

LaughingGnoll
2012-07-14, 05:10 AM

This. Plus that scene in T3 where Arnold was temporarily disabled and the police who arrive on the scene try and pick him up, and four of them don't manage to do it together.

Devonix
2012-07-14, 01:32 PM
i don't remember the exact scenes, but i recall someone jamming a piece of rebar or the like into one of their pelvises and it actually worked. or was that put there by an explosion?

as for their weight, they're throw away scenes, but you can see the remains of terminators being moved in random spots.

In the first movie it takes an industrial compactor to smash him

In th esecond he's repetedly smashed by the T-1000 with a metal cross beam and still up and running though severly damaged.

Devonix
2012-07-14, 01:35 PM
He might be referring to the scene in the first movie where Kyle Whatshisface manages to hold of the Terminator for a few seconds with a length of rebar. I would point out though that he didn't actually damage it, just threw it off balance, as for all their supposedly indestructible terror, Terminators can be knocked down nearly as easy as a normal human.

I'd say the Na'avi would have the advantage for all of a minute or two. That's about the time it would take for it to wear itself out and reduce it's hands to a bloody pulp from beating on the T-800. From there, the Terminator simply stands back up with no damage and does what Terminators do best. It's really no contest, because the Avatar is a living creature and therefor will run out of energy centuries before a robot does.

Rorschach controlling the Avatar doesn't really help because his speciality is fighting dirty, using the environment, being smart and sneaky and ruthless. You can't really hit a Terminator in the nuts and there's nothing he could really turn to his advantage in a blank room, so I've got to give this to the T-800.

Ok I get what you're saying now. Yeah knocking a terminator down isn't impossible never was, the whole thing with them was that no matter what you did they kept on coming. The whole Unstoppable killing machine thing.

The're built like humans and really we're not the most stable of machines when it comes to avoiding getting knocked down, simple leverage.

Tyrant
2012-07-14, 09:46 PM
I think the man out of time said it best.
It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Raimun
2012-07-18, 06:39 AM
The Terminator would take both himself and Rorschach the N'avi out of the picture with his explosive nuclear power source.

Seriously, though, how do people come up with this kind of match ups?