PDA

View Full Version : Soul Searcher (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-07-11, 01:34 PM
This is an attempt at a spontaneous caster of sorts. It can be used as a replacement to the Sorcerer, although it works just as well side by side with it. I couldn't come up with a very good name, so ideas for a better or more appropriate name are appreciated. Please PEACH, I need to know if his Soul Points needs to be adjusted any (it took me a long time to calculate them in a way I liked).

Soul Searcher

Some practice using arcane magic, directing it like a Wizard. Some have an innate talent in their blood for the magic, like the Sorcerer. Some, however, have blended the arts of learned magic and innate magic, blurring the line so far that the two are indistinguishable. These are the Soul Searchers.

Soul Searchers are a lot like both Wizards and Sorcerers in many ways, and as such have leanings towards both lifestyles. Some are very studious, while others are more carefree. Regardless, though, true mastery of arcane magic comes at a cost of study, and as such Soul Searchers are never chaotic.

Many classes get along with the Soul Searcher. Of the martial classes, Monks most understand their drive for self-perfection. Wizards tend to have some jealousy towards them, seeing a power they will never have. Soul Searchers tend to try and enlighten their Sorcerer brethren into this path, which usually leads to them either being treated as an inspiration of sorts or being disliked as a pushy annoyance.

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)
Skillpoints: 2+Int Mod (x4 at 1st level)
Hit Die: D4

{table=head]Level|
BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Max Spell Level|Soul Points

1st|
+0|+0|+0|+2|Obtain Familiar, Scribe Scroll|
1|

2nd|
+1|+0|+0|+3||
1|

3rd|
+1|+1|+1|+3||
1|

4th|
+2|+1|+1|+4||
2|

5th|
+2|+1|+1|+4||
2|

6th|
+3|+2|+2|+5|Bonus Feat|
3|

7th|
+3|+2|+2|+5||
3|

8th|
+4|+2|+2|+6||
4|

9th|
+4|+3|+3|+6||
4|

10th|
+5|+3|+3|+7||
5|

11th|
+5|+3|+3|+7||
5|

12th|
+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Bonus Feat|
6|

13th|
+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||
6|

14th|
+7/+2|+4|+4|+9||
7|

15th|
+7/+2|+5|+5|+9||
7|

16th|
+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||
8|

17th|
+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||
8|

18th|
+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Bonus Feat|
9|

19th|
+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||
9|

20th|
+10/+5|+6|+6|+12||
9|
91[/table]

Spells Known:
{table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
1st | 4 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
2nd | 5 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
3rd | 5 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
4th | 6 | 4 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
5th | 6 | 5 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6th | 7 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
7th | 7 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
8th | 8 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - |
9th | 8 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - |
10th | 9 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - |
11th | 9 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - | - |
12th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - |
13th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - | - |
14th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - | - |
15th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - | - |
16th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 | - |
17th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 2 | - |
18th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3 | 1 |
19th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 |
20th | 10 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 |[/table]

Class Abilities: The following are all class abilities for the Soul Searcher.

Proficiencies: The Soul Searcher is proficient with all simple weapons, as well as light armor (but not shields). Wearing light armor interferes with a Soul Searcher's ability to cast spells, causing arcane spell failure as normal.

Spellcasting: Soul Searchers cast spells off the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list. The number of spells they know and the maximum level of spell they may learn are listed on the tables above. A Soul Searcher does not have a spellbook or the like; their spells are a part of them, and they simply know them. A Soul Searcher's caster level is equal to his class level. The Difficulty Class (DC) for any spell he casts is 10+Spell Level+Wisdom Modifier.

While a Soul Searcher casts all his spells as normal for arcane magic (including arcane spell failure, needed material and EXP components, casting time, et cetera), his spells are not technically arcane. The Soul Searcher qualifies as both an arcane and a divine caster for the purposes of qualifying for Prestige Classes and feats, but only for these purposes.

Soul Points: Unlike a normal spellcaster, Soul Searchers have unlocked their full arcane potential. They do not get spells per day as normal. Instead, they have Soul Points, which they may assign to their spells known as they see fit each day. Every morning, a Soul Searcher spends one hour preparing his spells for the day. He spends one Soul Point per level of the spell to any spell he knows, and may cast that spell at will until he rests for 8 hours and reassigns his Soul Points. Level 0 spells count as half a point when assigning Soul Points.

A Soul Searcher gains bonus Soul Points for having a high Wisdom modifier. In order to determine his bonus Soul Points, add up the total number of spell levels he would earn on this table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#tableAbilityModifiersandBonusSpells) if he was a regular caster of the appropriate level, then divide the result by two, rounding up to the nearest whole number.

For example, a 7th level Soul Searcher with a Wisdom of 18 would normally gain one 1st, one 2nd, and one 3rd spell (he does not get the 4th level points because he does not yet qualify for 4th level spells). Add the spell levels together, so 1+2+3, or 6, then divide by 2, to get the end result of three bonus Soul Points. Add this onto his regular total of 11, and you get 14 Soul Points to divide among his spells known.

Soul Searchers may learn metamagic feats, however they must prepare their metamagic when they assign their Soul Points to their spells each day. They do not increase their casting time when using metamagic.

Obtain Familiar: A Soul Searcher obtains a familiar as a Sorcerer of his class level.

Scribe Scroll: A Soul Searcher gains Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat at first level.

Bonus Feat: At 6th level, and every six levels thereafter, a Soul Searcher gains a bonus feat that must be a metamagic feat or an item creation feat.

Madfellow
2012-07-11, 01:41 PM
If it were me I would give it fewer spells known (probably closer to the sorcerer's numbers) and more soul points. As it's currently written, it'll be able to cast fewer spells per day than a bard, which, coupled with its enormous list of available spells, will make the player feel like they're missing out.

Zale
2012-07-11, 02:45 PM
They do, however, get those spells at will.

Which can be a touch.. iffy.

Noctis Vigil
2012-07-11, 03:01 PM
If it were me I would give it fewer spells known (probably closer to the sorcerer's numbers) and more soul points. As it's currently written, it'll be able to cast fewer spells per day than a bard, which, coupled with its enormous list of available spells, will make the player feel like they're missing out.

The point of the class is that they have a fairly sizable list of things they can cast, but very few available each day. I was actually thinking of making the Soul Point pool smaller simply because, as Zale said, they get the spells at-will. So their versatility each day is severely limited, but their overall versatility is greater than that of the average Sorcerer.

In case people are wondering, the Soul Searcher as written now gets a number of spell levels equivalent to one-half those available to a Wizard each level (or a roughly rounded number about the equivalent).

bobthe6th
2012-07-11, 04:12 PM
this is bad on two counts:
1) at will from the entire sorc/wizard list is a bad plan. their is a reason warlock invocations get modified from spells... spells need to be tinkered with to work at will without being under or over powered. doubly so with so few spells per day.
2) it lacks class features... which means ditch it as soon as your DM will let you prc out. classes sans class features are always bad, you can see such with the standard casters versus the later casters.

suggestion: make it a warlock with more invocations known, but a limit to use per day.

Noctis Vigil
2012-07-12, 02:17 AM
this is bad on two counts:
1) at will from the entire sorc/wizard list is a bad plan. their is a reason warlock invocations get modified from spells... spells need to be tinkered with to work at will without being under or over powered. doubly so with so few spells per day.
2) it lacks class features... which means ditch it as soon as your DM will let you prc out. classes sans class features are always bad, you can see such with the standard casters versus the later casters.

suggestion: make it a warlock with more invocations known, but a limit to use per day.

Not quite sure what to do about 1, but for 2, I'm considering it. I want to hammer out their basic casting before I throw lots of stuff at them. Besides, I'll still be leaving a few dead levels, because they get full casting. Might give them a capstone at the very least.

bobthe6th
2012-07-12, 02:52 AM
no class features means nothing encouraging you to stick to the class. its the reason a pure wizard out side of core is unlikely. they get no class features, so people ditch it as soon as possible. heck, their is even a specific "ditch wizard a 4th level" prc...

lacking class features is bad, not a power limiter.

and... just start expanding the invocation list. take a favorite spell and up it to invocation level.