PDA

View Full Version : Like the artist but hate his work?

Yora
2012-07-14, 09:08 AM
Some time ago we had a thread about artists you don't like, but still find their work enjoyable? What about the reverse. Are there artists who you think seem to be nice people, but you really don't like what they produce?

One case for me would be Bill Paxton. I think I absoluetely hate every character he ever played! But at the same time, it doesn't seem to be his fault. His acting is okay and he seems like a nice guy, but somehow he always got these really awful roles to play.

tensai_oni
2012-07-14, 09:42 AM
Keanu Reeves, the master of emotionless delivery and acting that can't be called wooden only because it insults actual trees.

But he seems genuinely nice and has confidence issues which he really does not deserve to have. Sad Keanu is an internet meme for a reason.

Eldan
2012-07-14, 09:46 AM
Plus Reeves seems to be a bit of a geek himself. After all, he is in the Cowboy Bebop movie, because he really, really wanted that movie to happen.

Weezer
2012-07-14, 12:35 PM
The vast majority of Amanda Plamer's work fits into this category for me. She's pretty awesome on a number of levels, but her work very rarely does it for me.

Avilan the Grey
2012-07-14, 12:47 PM
Sarah Silverman.
Vin Diesel.

Friv
2012-07-14, 01:13 PM
After actually hearing Uwe Boll (http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/330/An-Interview-with-Uwe-Boll) discuss his work, I find that I kind of like him. He seems like a decent guy. But oh god his work.

Also, Michael Terraciano (aka "Mookie" of Dominic Deegan) seems like a decent guy, whose work is a running train wreck.

Velaryon
2012-07-15, 01:42 AM
Sarah Silverman.
Vin Diesel.

I agree with Vin Diesel. Maybe Sarah Silverman too (I definitely hate her work, anyway).

Jack Black also seems like a really cool guy, but I like very few of his projects. Kung Fu Panda is pretty good, I loved Brütal Legend, and he was tolerable in Tropic Thunder, but most of his movies don't appeal to me and I really don't like Tenacious D very much.

In the realm of pro wrestling, I have to put John Cena in this category. Although he occasionally has good matches or compelling storylines, most of his work is repetitive, uninspired, and sometimes even downright lazy. But he's always dedicated to the company, clearly loves his job (even if he does phone it in during some performances), and most of all, the guy has granted more Make A Wish wishes than anyone else, ever. I have to respect that. But I still groan when he shows up on Raw every Monday night.

Worira
2012-07-15, 01:59 AM
Actually, can I just say "Everyone in professional wrestling (except probably some jerks)"?

kpenguin
2012-07-15, 02:05 AM
Rob Liefeld seems like a decent guy.

Maxios
2012-07-15, 02:06 AM
Justin Bieber. I have a lot of respect for him for accomplishing his dream at a young age, but I dislike his music.

Avilan the Grey
2012-07-15, 06:49 AM
I agree with Vin Diesel. Maybe Sarah Silverman too (I definitely hate her work, anyway).

Jack Black also seems like a really cool guy, but I like very few of his projects. Kung Fu Panda is pretty good, I loved Brütal Legend, and he was tolerable in Tropic Thunder, but most of his movies don't appeal to me and I really don't like Tenacious D very much.

Jack I like.
As for Sarah, I have seen her in a few political shows where she's just talking and arguing, and she seems nice, fun and intelligent (really fun, actually). Unfortunatly she uses something else than humor in her performances. Not sure what, but it sure isn't humor.

Jaros
2012-07-15, 07:47 AM
For some reason Sarah Silverman always seems funnier to me when she's around other celebrities. Like I've seen bits of her show and it was alright, didn't much like the parts of her stand-up I saw but when I've seen her on talk shows or speaking at awards ceremonies and such, she's freaking hilarious.

By all accounts Nicki Minaj's music is pretty crap, but she seems like an amazing woman from what little I've seen.

DomaDoma
2012-07-15, 09:10 AM
Zac Efron. It's his bad luck that he got his break from Disney live-action; he's probably not got an inner Spencer Tracy or anything, but it does mean he's probably never going to do what he loves.

NerfTW
2012-07-15, 10:15 PM
Ewan Mcgregor is 50% good and 50% pure, unfiltered garbage. He NEEDS a good director. Unlike some actors who can act past bad directors, he just flounders. I had an ex who insisted on watching everything with him in it on Netflix. That's an accurate description of how it came out. And it's mixed, not "bad at first and then he got better".

It's not entirely his fault. He can put out a great performance. His two road trip shows (Long Way Around and Long Way Down) are really fun to watch, so without a director his personality still shines through.

But give him a bad one and he's lifeless and dull.

Avilan the Grey
2012-07-16, 01:01 AM
Ewan Mcgregor is 50% good and 50% pure, unfiltered garbage. He NEEDS a good director. Unlike some actors who can act past bad directors, he just flounders. I had an ex who insisted on watching everything with him in it on Netflix. That's an accurate description of how it came out. And it's mixed, not "bad at first and then he got better".

It's not entirely his fault. He can put out a great performance. His two road trip shows (Long Way Around and Long Way Down) are really fun to watch, so without a director his personality still shines through.

But give him a bad one and he's lifeless and dull.

That goes for a LOT of actors though. Of course one could argue is that all he does is to give the director EXACTLY what they want, good or bad and it really isn't his fault.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-16, 01:37 AM
The vast majority of Amanda Palmer's work fits into this category for me. She's pretty awesome on a number of levels, but her work very rarely does it for me.

Fully agree here.

Kindablue
2012-07-16, 02:12 AM
Rob Liefeld seems like a decent guy.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KUncSkBpLqc/SZpiJfvyY8I/AAAAAAAAAk4/_wx3XO9Mv0I/s400/ECR06.jpg
Seems pretty cool to me.

grimbold
2012-07-17, 09:25 AM
my mom is like this with Patti Smith...

BiblioRook
2012-07-17, 10:03 AM
I stopped reading RA Salvatore's books a long long time ago, but when he comes down for book signings I always make a point to go see him because he's just a really fun guy to listen to speak.

Also Wil Wheaton. I really can't stand that characters he plays in movies or the media persona he puts on and whatnot to the point where I visibly cringe when I find out He's going to be in something and start considering dropping the series completely if he's making a repeat appearance. But as a person? He hear he's a pretty nice guy and does some good work off-screen and really can't fault him there.

Yora
2012-07-17, 10:19 AM
That goes for a LOT of actors though. Of course one could argue is that all he does is to give the director EXACTLY what they want, good or bad and it really isn't his fault.
Watch Star Wars movies directed by George Lucas. Everyone in those movies performs terrible!
Actually, Ewan Mcgregor is the only thing that makes the 2nd and 3rd somewhat watchable at all.

But really, what are you supposed to do when you're alone in front of a green wall with silly lines and no directions?

pita
2012-07-17, 10:58 AM
I met Andrzej Sapkowski. The man was brilliant, in both wisdom and humor. And I can't get through his books. I lack all interest in them. I dunno. I'm hoping it's the translation.

SlayerScott
2012-07-17, 11:25 AM
Comic artist Frank Quitely. I complained bitterly about his work for years, and then he was in a draw-off panel with Steve McNiven at the Toronto ComicCon. He seemed intelligent and super-nice and I felt real bad about slagging his work. But it hasn't gotten any better.

Knaight
2012-07-17, 09:05 PM
John Green and Mira Grant (also known as Seanan McGuire) both fit into this category for me. I don't particularly like their work, but they seem like genuinely good people. There are also a whole host of people who work in nonfiction articles I could list, but the vast majority of them are way too deep into both religion and politics to list here.

Tebryn
2012-07-17, 09:11 PM
Jeff Dee...love him in all honesty but...meh, game design may be his hobby but there are days where I wish he'd pick up something else.

Logic
2012-07-17, 09:25 PM
Plus Reeves seems to be a bit of a geek himself. After all, he is in the Cowboy Bebop movie, because he really, really wanted that movie to happen.
What? I am fairly sure he is NOT (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/) in the Cowboy Bebop movie, and IMDB agrees with me. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275277/fullcredits#cast)

Iruka
2012-07-18, 03:56 AM
What? I am fairly sure he is NOT (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/) in the Cowboy Bebop movie, and IMDB agrees with me. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275277/fullcredits#cast)

He was talking about the planned live action movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_Bebop#Live-action_film). If it ever becomes reality remains dubious.

Man on Fire
2012-07-18, 11:29 AM
In Comcs Book industry there is a guy who embodies this - Jeph Loeb. People hate his comics. He gave us Red Hulk and Romulus, two terrible Gary Stus who are asociated with possibly the worst times in respectively Hulk' and Wolverine's history, messed with Ultimate Universe so hard that it never trurly recovered and is now slowly dying and now is ruining Marvel's animation. But as a person? People generally don't hate him. Most feel bad for him, because it's clear he never recovered from the death of his son.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-18, 11:49 AM
You know, there was a time I would have defended Jessica Alba. Seriously. Yeah, the best film I've seen her in is Sin City, which I give 6/10, and really the only reason I would have defended her is superficial - she's attractive and at the time I was a teenager, but sometime between Fantastic Four 2 and Spy Kids 4, any hope or positive feeling I had to her just kind of vanished.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-18, 11:52 AM
Does that mean you rated Machete below Sin City, or that you didn't see it?

Dr.Epic
2012-07-18, 11:54 AM
Does that mean you rated Machete below Sin City, or that you didn't see it?

Never saw it. Is she in that?

Honestly, I think Sin City, the Fantastic Four films, and Good Luck Chuck are the only films I've seen her in. But given her filmography and how most of it is bad comedies...well, enough said right?

The Glyphstone
2012-07-18, 11:57 AM
Yeah, she plays the immigrations/customs agent/love interest #...2? 3? Not sure.

I doubt Machete would redeem your image of her, but it's worth watching anyways for the sheer hilarity value.

Dr.Epic
2012-07-18, 12:00 PM
I doubt Machete would redeem your image of her, but it's worth watching anyways for the sheer hilarity value.

You're probably right. Even if I love the film, after Spy Kids 4, there's just a nasty stigma attached to her in my mind. Spy Kids is a series I never like. Even when I was 10 and the target demographic, I didn't like the first one which many people apparently did.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-18, 12:06 PM
Interestingly, Danny Trejo's character in Spy Kids is a G/PG-rated version of his character in Machete...:smallsmile:

JoeMac307
2012-07-18, 02:59 PM
Yeah, she plays the immigrations/customs agent/love interest #...2? 3? Not sure.

Machete is so stupid (on purpose) that it is awesome. It was so much better than Planet Terror / Death Proof.