PDA

View Full Version : Why does a fantasy civilization want to colonize space?

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 02:41 PM
This civilization us about comparable to the Age of Sail with widely available magitech. This civilization can, with enough trained mages, construct viable spacecraft. These spacecraft are capable of operating within the solar system, but not advanced enough to leave it.

Within the solar system, there is a second habitable planet aside from the one this civilization is from. This planet has life (plants and aberrations), but no sentient life. This civilization is going to put colonies on the planet.

My problem is, why? I know why I want the colonies to exist (to cover a theme I want to cover badly, but lack room for on the civilization's home planet do to other themes I'm covering there), but I can't think of a logical reason for the civilization to want to go through the difficulty, expense, and danger of colonizing another planet. Does anyone have any ideas for what motivations I could give my civilization?

Mx.Silver
2012-07-14, 03:14 PM
Here's a few ideas.

1: Resources and living space.
Historically these are pretty much the standard motivations when it comes to colonisation. And when there's an entire habitable planet up for grabs it would seem to be the logical place to go once population and resource demand started looking high. Unless your setting is already post-scarcity (which it probably isn't) these are always likely to be factors.

2. Logistics
Again, historically If your civilisation is launching space missions then having a base on another planet may prove useful as it support and re-supplying longer ranging expeditions.

3. Research/discovery.
This is probably the main reason we still do space missions, after all. You can bet if there was a habitable planet in our Solar System the scientific community would be piling on the pressure to get a research base built there. Exactly how much pressure there'll be given your setting's tech level is debateable, although there were plenty of explorers there too, many of which were funded by governments. At least some attempts at exploration will be likely, since quite a lot of people will be interested to know what's up there, out of both pure curiosity and in the hopes that there may be something valuable (and if we're talking an entire planet the latter option will look pretty plausible).

4. Competition.
If two or more rival nations have the capacity to undertake this sort of colonisation effort then it's likely at least one of them will do so to get the edge over the others. After all, there's an entire planet up there and you don't want any resources there falling into unfriendly hands when you could make better use of them, especially if war is looking likely. Being able to beat the others there also serves as something of a status symbol (see also: most of the Cold War space race), even if doesn't bring back immediate returns. Even if there isn't any imminent hostility between nations, there will still likely be temptation to get there early just in case things deteriorate in the future.
Moreover, once one nation starts then others are likely to follow suit (especially if it turns out there's anything material to be gained up there) as they won't want to risk missing out and potentially getting left behind.

JustPlayItLoud
2012-07-14, 03:26 PM
Perhaps a simple case of Manifest Destiny. Perhaps at least one culture in the world is pushing toward discovery and expansion. Maybe it all started with some rich merchant deciding to Boldly Go and others followed since there's always money to be made.

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 03:37 PM
Over at Paizo I've got some stuff hammered out. The main reasons are international competition and prestige, research, curiosity, and resources (large natural Ironwood forests, to be precise).

zorenathres
2012-07-17, 11:53 AM
if they possess the colossal infrastructure to produce ships, it may be possible that they have stripped their homeworld of most of its natural resources. not only will they be striving to find new resources & territory, but likely they will be competing with other kingdoms/ nations who are vying for a foothold.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-17, 12:05 PM
Over at Paizo I've got some stuff hammered out. The main reasons are international competition and prestige, research, curiosity, and resources (large natural Ironwood forests, to be precise).

Don't forget about things like protection. Having a military station on a neighboring planet could be a way to protect the solar system, secretly train soldiers, train, and develop weapons. The world could even be a prision, where people who are criminals are sent to that the main world doesn't have them. Perhaps private companies are attempting to land on it to take the resources before it becomes claimed, or it holds a mineral in plenty that is rare on earth. Perhaps the world has technology from another sentient life form there.

Lots of possibilities.