PDA

View Full Version : I Just Watched Half the Season of Firefly

Afool
2012-07-15, 03:54 PM
And it was awesome. But now I'm wondering what other shows or movies I've missed or haven't gotten too yet that are almost universally accepted as great. So I come to ask you all what I've been missing out.

Dienekes
2012-07-15, 04:13 PM
It's a bit of an odd request here, if you're just going by really good tv shows you can get a completely odd hodgepodge list:

Rome
I, Claudius
The Sopranos
Arrested Development
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Batman: The Animated Series
Justice League
Justice League: Unlimited
Game of Thrones
Futurama
Dexter
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Twilight Zone
It Crowd
The Andy Griffith Show
Sherlock
Dr Who
Heroes (season 1 only)
Scrubs
Malcolm in the Middle
Seinfeld
Venture Brothers
Cowboy Bebop
The Addams Family
Mystery Science Theater 3000
Beast Wars (will always be better than Transformers)
Star Trek
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Looney Tunes

If you want a show that's like Firefly, well the obvious answer is going to Joss Whedon's other shows. But in all honesty the only one I thought even came close to being as generally fun and engaging was Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. But then I have been told I am in the minority of nerds who though Buffy was boring.

Afool
2012-07-15, 05:17 PM
The list is great and I guess what I'm looking for is just great shows and movies I haven't seen before. I guess I should add books as well to the search. I suppose that I'm looking for good stories that I don't know yet.

snoopy13a
2012-07-15, 05:19 PM
If you want a show that's like Firefly, well the obvious answer is going to Joss Whedon's other shows. But in all honesty the only one I thought even came close to being as generally fun and engaging was Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. But then I have been told I am in the minority of nerds who though Buffy was boring.

I loved Buffy and Firefly, but I wasn't a fan of Angel. Dollhouse, in my opinion, was horrible.

Criticizing Whedon can be dangerous though. His fans are among the most rabid out there.

DomaDoma
2012-07-15, 05:37 PM
The second half of the first season of Dollhouse was wonderful. The first half was boring and the second season ended up more disappointing than Lost and almost as disjointed.

Really, though, it depends on what you like about Firefly. Is it the snappy dialogue? Its level on the sci-fi hardness scale? The creative plots? The compelling characters? (For me, it's definitely that last one. Especially Mal and River.)

I will of course plug Sherlock to any and all who haven't seen it. It is both tremedously loyal to the original stories and a radical departure from them. It is written on a par with a Katharine Hepburn movie. Martin Freeman is the most expressive actor I know, and Benedict Cumberbatch the most riveting Holmes, Jeremy Brett included. First series is available on Netflix Instant; second is hard to obtain on DVD for those of us outside the UK, but Amazon does let you purchase it streaming.

Selrahc
2012-07-15, 05:39 PM
The list is great and I guess what I'm looking for is just great shows and movies I haven't seen before. I guess I should add books as well to the search. I suppose that I'm looking for good stories that I don't know yet.

Wide enough field yet? Feel like adding plays, music or comics to the list?

I'm sure you'll get responses, but it's the kind of thing that will be a lot easier and more comprehensive by doing something like browsing IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series) or just doing a google search. Since you're asking for so much, people will probably just give you a big dump of titles.

You'd be better off refining what you are looking for. If you want recommendation, mention the sort of things you like.

In general, I would also add that Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/) is a great place to look if you're after classic books. Check out their top 100 downloaded as a starting point.

DomaDoma
2012-07-15, 05:50 PM
Oooh, he's looking for books? Firestar by Michael Flynn is definitely the kind of thing that would appeal to Firefly fans, at least the ones who like space travel and rugged individualism as two great tastes that taste great together.

Maxios
2012-07-15, 05:57 PM
Jericho! It is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

Afool
2012-07-15, 06:08 PM
Wide enough field yet? Feel like adding plays, music or comics to the list?

*snip*
You'd be better off refining what you are looking for. If you want recommendation, mention the sort of things you like.

*snip*

In retrospect, I'm looking for good stories. It doesn't really matter what the genre or method of delivery is, as long as it's enjoyable.

One specific thing that I'm looking for is "classic geek" stories like Firefly, Star Wars, and Star Trek. I'm not the most media aware person so I'm not really sure what's out there.

Dienekes
2012-07-15, 06:59 PM
Ok, then more big ol' lists

Movies
Well we have to say Serenity don't we
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
Duck Soup
Bud Abbot and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein
Frankenstein
Dracula
The Wolf Man
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Batman
The Return of the Joker
Mask of the Phantasm
Spartacus
Ben-Hur
Lawrence of Arabia
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Mark of Zorro
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Star Wars original trilogy
Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Indiana Jones original trilogy
Goldfinger
Fight Club
Citizen Kane
Brazil
The Silence of the Lambs
A Clockwork Orange
Psycho
Misery
Rear Window
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Singin' in the Rain
The Sound of Music
The Wizard of Oz
Amadeus
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Its a Wonderful Life
Nosferatu
M
The Phantom of the Opera (non-musical)
City Lights
Evil Dead trilogy
Die Hard
Alien
Aliens
Predator
Schindler's List
Princess Bride
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Spaceballs
Animal House

Comics
I guess I have to say the Firefly comics here, even if I don't think they're all that good
Sandman
Fables
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Batman: Year one
Batman: Long Halloween
Batman: Dark Victory
Batman: The Man Who Laughs
Joker
Batman: A Death in the Family
Batman: Black and White
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: The Killing Joke
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?
All-Star Superman
Superman: Red Son
Kingdom Come
Spiderman: The Death of Gwen Stacy
Spiderman: Venom
Transmetropolitan
Maus
X-Men 1
Marvels

Boooks
A Song of Ice and Fire
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Discworld
Catch-22
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Illiad
The Odyssey
The Once and Future King
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
Dracula
Dune
Foundation
Slaughterhouse Five
The Belgariad (if you read this, read this first. After you read the original, better, less cliched stuff it quickly loses it's shine)
A Modest Proposal
Canterbury Tales
Hamlet
Othello
Richard III
Henry V
Midsummer Night's Dream
Inferno
Animal Farm
Don Quixote
A Christmas Carol
Sherlock Holmes
Conan
Legend
Malazar Book of the Fallen
The Thrawn Trilogy

Stage
Les Miserables
Fiddler on the Roof
The Phantom of the Opera
Sweeney Todd
Little Shop of Horrors

I could probably go on, but now I'm bored

Serpentine
2012-07-15, 08:19 PM
If you want to watch another amazing, not-quite-normal show that was cut short before its time, I recommend Pushing Daisies. It's about a pie-maker who can bring the dead back to life with a touch (and send them back to death with a second touch), his late childhood sweetheart, and the private detective they help to solve murders. It's the brightest, most cheerful and slightly surreal crime drama I've ever seen.
As much as I like Firefly (now that I've finally seen it all), if I had one wish I had to use to give a show some more seasons, I'd spend it on Pushing Daisies.

Helanna
2012-07-15, 08:29 PM
I will of course plug Sherlock to any and all who haven't seen it. It is both tremedously loyal to the original stories and a radical departure from them. It is written on a par with a Katharine Hepburn movie. Martin Freeman is the most expressive actor I know, and Benedict Cumberbatch the most riveting Holmes, Jeremy Brett included. First series is available on Netflix Instant; second is hard to obtain on DVD for those of us outside the UK, but Amazon does let you purchase it streaming.

I'll pop in just to second this. I recently watched Sherlock for the first time, and it was incredible. There are only six episodes out right now, each of which I think is around 90 minutes long. The characters and plots are incredibly well-written, and like Doma said, very, very true to the spirit of the original while being very, very different.

Also to say that I'll be following this thread with interest. I never watched much TV or anything while growing up, so I missed out on a lot of 'iconic' movies and shows. Maybe it's time to catch up . . .

grolim
2012-07-15, 09:51 PM
Some more tv series, maybe a little more odd some of them:

Dead Like Me, at least the first season
Farscape
Stargate, all of them
Red Dwarf, at least through series 7.
Black Adder
Babylon 5
Earth: Final Conflict. It has some problems, some serious, but so much promise.

For some movies:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzaii Across the 8th Dimension, corny as heck but oh the cast.
5th Element.
Logan's Run, hugely classic but sadly unknown to many of the younger crowd
Men in Black, not the sequel.
Kick-Ass
Tank Girl, these two are VERY loved by some and hated by just as many, your mileage may vary and are more adult and darker humor.
Big Trouble in Little China.

Books:
If you like the Belgariad, then read the Elenium and Redemption of Athalus also by Eddings, the plots may not be original but he does create some VERY good character.
The Chronicles of Amber, somewhat of a hard read but very worthwhile.
Jhereg series by Brust.
Dragonriders of Pern
Harper Hall of Pern
Time Master trilogy by Louise Cooper. Initiate, Outcast, master

Inglenook
2012-07-15, 11:29 PM
Wonderfalls is another little gem that got scrapped by Fox after one season like Firefly.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-v5GY3OAv-P4/T15xEejLyII/AAAAAAABPrY/a-uMtIkvW1A/s1600/caroline%2Bdhavernas%2Bwonderfalls.jpeg

The plot, briefly:
Jaye Tyler is a recent graduate with a philosophy degree from Brown University, yet she lives in a trailer park, drives a clunker, and works a job she hates at a Niagara Falls gift shop. An intelligent but misanthropic deadpan snarker, her life becomes extremely complicated when various anthropomorphic objects come to life (although no one else can see this) and force her into meddling in the lives of others, often with surprising results. Her cocktail waitress best friend, super successful/loving/meddlesome family and a friendship with a recent divorcee only complicate things further.

It got good reviews, but Fox randomly changed the airing time after the first episode, so it died pretty quickly. :smallfrown: I love it, though. Oh, and Jewel Staite (Kaylee from Firefly) features heavily in several episodes!

Dumbledore lives
2012-07-16, 02:13 AM
Dead Like Me, at least the first season

I'll just chime in here and say Dead Like Me is an amazing black comedy about grim reapers that also has some very touching moments. I think it's from some of the same people as the above mentioned Pushing Daises.

Inglenook
2012-07-16, 02:51 AM
Brian Fuller did Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies and Wonderfall, I think. All three have a similar vibe, and all three have a female protagonist with a traditionally male name, I just realized. :smallsmile:

Mauve Shirt
2012-07-16, 05:37 AM
Do you enjoy being confused? The first season and first two episodes of the second season of Twin Peaks.

Bitter
2012-07-16, 06:55 AM
Nobody has said The Wire which leads me to think nobody knows anything about TV seeing as it is the best TV show ever made.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain because I would just make it sound like a generic police procedural. But it is the greatest television show ever created and everyone deserves to have the opportunity to watch it.

Dienekes
2012-07-16, 07:42 AM
Nobody has said The Wire which leads me to think nobody knows anything about TV seeing as it is the best TV show ever made.

I'm not going to bother trying to explain because I would just make it sound like a generic police procedural. But it is the greatest television show ever created and everyone deserves to have the opportunity to watch it.

I watched the first 4 episodes and it didn't hook me. As far as I could tell it was a generic police procedural, except they did actually show how long it took to solve these crimes. Maybe it got more interesting but after 3 or 4 episodes I tend to stop being patient for it.

Bitter
2012-07-16, 08:27 AM
I watched the first 4 episodes and it didn't hook me. As far as I could tell it was a generic police procedural, except they did actually show how long it took to solve these crimes. Maybe it got more interesting but after 3 or 4 episodes I tend to stop being patient for it.

It takes a while for it to click with most people. I watched the first few episodes and didn't think much of it, then took another look after I'd listened to years of the critical acclaim it was getting and got addicted.

Try again but go until you get to the eponymous episode 6 "The Wire". By then you'll get it.

And keep in mind the best advice I ever got about it; It isn't a television program, it's a series of novels which by some accident are getting shown on TV instead of printed on paper.

Mauve Shirt
2012-07-16, 10:50 PM
It has funny ideas about Baltimore, if what I hear is correct. I am too busy for tv these days. :smallfrown:

Lord Seth
2012-07-16, 11:11 PM
I watched the first 4 episodes and it didn't hook me. As far as I could tell it was a generic police procedural, except they did actually show how long it took to solve these crimes.What.

I can understand someone not liking The Wire after watching a few episodes (the show does get better, though--I'd really recommend at least watching the first season), but "generic police procedural"? Are you using some weird definitions for generic, police, or procedural?

A police procedural is a show about police in which essentially each case is solved in a fairly standalone story. You know, stuff like Law & Order, CSI, etc. A generic one of those is...well, generic.

The Wire is not a police procedural by definition because of the fact that, you know, each episode isn't a standalone plot. Even if you try to somehow make the case that "well it's still a police procedural, it just carries the case over episodes" (which I find an extremely dubious claim, but let's go with it), that's not generic.

Even judging it by just the first four episodes, I can't see how you can actually call it a a generic police procedural, unless you're just using random definitions for words, in which case you can say it's "a science fiction comedy soap opera reality show" with just as much validity.
And keep in mind the best advice I ever got about it; It isn't a television program, it's a series of novels which by some accident are getting shown on TV instead of printed on paper.No it isn't. It's a television program. Trying to dress it up in fancy-sounding words doesn't change the fact it's a television program. It's a good television program (though I did have some problems with seasons 3 and 5), but it's a television program.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-07-16, 11:30 PM
Ok, then more big ol' lists

*snip*

I could probably go on, but now I'm bored

You...you had so many...and yet you left out Young Frankenstein?:smallfurious:

Dienekes
2012-07-17, 12:28 AM
What.

I can understand someone not liking The Wire after watching a few episodes (the show does get better, though--I'd really recommend at least watching the first season), but "generic police procedural"? Are you using some weird definitions for generic, police, or procedural?

A police procedural is a show about police in which essentially each case is solved in a fairly standalone story. You know, stuff like Law & Order, CSI, etc. A generic one of those is...well, generic.

The Wire is not a police procedural by definition because of the fact that, you know, each episode isn't a standalone plot. Even if you try to somehow make the case that "well it's still a police procedural, it just carries the case over episodes" (which I find an extremely dubious claim, but let's go with it), that's not generic.

Even judging it by just the first four episodes, I can't see how you can actually call it a a generic police procedural, unless you're just using random definitions for words, in which case you can say it's "a science fiction comedy soap opera reality show" with just as much validity.No it isn't. It's a television program. Trying to dress it up in fancy-sounding words doesn't change the fact it's a television program. It's a good television program (though I did have some problems with seasons 3 and 5), but it's a television program.

Generic, because as a whole I found the basic plot and cop characters rather generic. They're trying to capture some drug lord (it's been awhile, forgive me if I have the crime wrong) and they all seemed to follow basic cop archetypes; the bad cop-idiots, the one sane guy willing to put his career on the line, the stoic good cop (happened to be a lesbian this time though, so that's different I guess). Police procedural because, it was a police procedural. It was about the cops trying to piece together a crime or multiple crimes focusing on the cop and law enforcement aspect of solving cases. That is all that means being a police procedural, nothing about being 1 episode per mystery. Maybe it doesn't follow the dominant pattern that has arisen from CSI shows, but if you look at my list, I don't watch any of those shows anyway. What little police stuff I have read comes from books, where cases can take a very, very long time to solve. So no, nothing I saw seemed particularly out of the ordinary. If it gets better, it gets better, bravo. But it did not keep my interest for the admittedly brief bit of it I saw.

You...you had so many...and yet you left out Young Frankenstein?:smallfurious:

And Blazing Saddles, and Naked Gun, and The Usual Suspects, and a million others. In fact the more I think about it the less I like my lists, too many gaps. But hey, I'll let someone else have the fun of bringing the holes up.

BiblioRook
2012-07-17, 01:21 AM
Ah, people beat me to all three of Fuller's shows. I swear that man is cursed, but good god do I love his work. All three shows rank high on my favorites list, in fact they all are kinda due for a rewatch as it is.

Wonderfalls is another little gem that got scrapped by Fox after one season like Firefly.

An entertaining, if not kinda depressing, bit; apparently Wonderfalls was planned out for a full three seasons when it was cut. The second season was supposed to focus on her therapy with the third involving her being institutionalized (in which the pyromaniac kid was supposed to come back as a reoccurring character).

JCarter426
2012-07-17, 01:26 AM
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and suggest the second half of Firefly.

Also Doctor Who. Don't think I saw that mentioned.

Bitter
2012-07-17, 02:08 AM
No it isn't. It's a television program. Trying to dress it up in fancy-sounding words doesn't change the fact it's a television program. It's a good television program (though I did have some problems with seasons 3 and 5), but it's a television program.

Yes it is a television program. You can tell by the way it is on tv.

However it is a tv program which subverts or ignores a lot of standard television concepts, as you point out yourself in this post, and hews closely to quite a few traditionally literary concepts.

They're trying to capture some drug lord (it's been awhile, forgive me if I have the crime wrong)

First of all, you've got it wrong straight out the gate in that you're considering the Barksdale organisation (drug pushers) as simply the antagonists rather than protagonists in your own rights.

and they all seemed to follow basic cop archetypes; the bad cop-idiots, the one sane guy willing to put his career on the line, the stoic good cop (happened to be a lesbian this time though, so that's different I guess).

I can guess that you're talking about Pryzbylewski, McNulty and Kima. Of those you managed to get 0.5/3 descriptions correct simply because the characters are a hell of a lot more complicated then you would assume after a couple of episodes. As it has such a large ensemble cast, you don't get to know everything about everyone straight away. You learn about them over time. You got the half point for saying McNulty is willing to put his job on the line, but that's it.

Police procedural because, it was a police procedural. It was about the cops trying to piece together a crime or multiple crimes focusing on the cop and law enforcement aspect of solving cases. That is all that means being a police procedural, nothing about being 1 episode per mystery.

It isn't a police procedural because it's about crime and it's about people and it's about Baltimore. It follows all the characters, which in the first season is just the police and criminals so I can see why you would think it would be a police procedural, but over the seasons expands to cover different aspects of society simultaneously like the schools, city politics and newspapers in order to look at the problems of crime in a wider socio-economic context through drama.

It's a drama about crime which happens to cover the police.

Iku Rex
2012-07-17, 10:28 AM
The Middleman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1122770/)!

Emmerask
2012-07-17, 02:58 PM
Supernatural, one of my favorites :smallsmile:
Space 2063 also very good^^

LordofDragons24
2012-07-21, 08:37 AM
Going out on a limb here: 'Arrested Development' . heard it only made about 3 seasons before getting done away with by Fox, namely due to low ratings (as it was on a later time than most of the more popular shows i.e. The Simpsons). I hear it's quite good, and Jason Bateman's character is stark raving funny at times.

Feytalist
2012-07-23, 02:55 AM
No-one's mentioned Moonlight yet. Guess it wasn't all that good?

Another show canceled after half a season. Vampire detective series, heavy on the romance. I'll readily admit it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it had one great big shining aspect: Jason Dohring. Really, they could have scrapped every other character and just kept that of Josef Kostan, and it would still have been awesome.

Shame it never took off.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-23, 11:28 AM
I'll just chime in here and say Dead Like Me is an amazing black comedy about grim reapers that also has some very touching moments. I think it's from some of the same people as the above mentioned Pushing Daises.

Similar premises for both shows...but very different execution. Dead Like Me is by far the better show, though both are excellent.

Pushing Daisies is a cheerful rendition of a dark subject, with tongue firmly planted in cheek. It's a fun watch, but it doesn't have the same depth as Dead Like Me.

That said, the movie for Dead Like Me was...questionable at best.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the Wire. This is probably a result of living by Baltimore. It's basically the same thing as me taking a wrong turn driving home. Meh. I'd rather see something different when I turn on the TV.