PDA

View Full Version : New to Homebrewing, need some help with my concept!

Augulus
2012-07-15, 04:57 PM
Hey playground,

Some background: I was recently playing my friend's campaign, and my Barbarian with a wonderfully thought out backstory died horribly (we were level 3). The soul of my PC was transferred into his greatsword, becoming an intelligent item.

I was talking with my DM and he is okay with me continuing play as the sword. Like I said in the post description, our group hasn't really delved into homebrew much, so I'm slightly unsure of what to do. I hope you guys can help!

The concepts I have in mind are:

A class for an intelligent sword
Starting at 3rd level
maybe the ability to summon a "spirit barbarian" to carry the sword
gaining druidic-like abilities (spells, not wildshape) around level 5 (the character has a special connection to wolves, so bonus points for anything like that.

Anything you guys have to offer (suggestions, ideas, etc) would be greatly appreciated!

Zale
2012-07-15, 05:40 PM
Hmmm.

I wonder how BAB would work. Or spells for that matter, because I'm not sure you could use any with Vocal, Somatic or Material components.

Augulus
2012-07-15, 07:50 PM
Good point.

For BAB, my idea would be to have the summoned barbarian have stats based on my level maybe? For spells, they could be spell-like abilities usable a certain number of times per day.

Amnoriath
2012-07-15, 08:01 PM
Hey playground,

Some background: I was recently playing my friend's campaign, and my Barbarian with a wonderfully thought out backstory died horribly (we were level 3). The soul of my PC was transferred into his greatsword, becoming an intelligent item.

I was talking with my DM and he is okay with me continuing play as the sword. Like I said in the post description, our group hasn't really delved into homebrew much, so I'm slightly unsure of what to do. I hope you guys can help!

The concepts I have in mind are:

A class for an intelligent sword
Starting at 3rd level
maybe the ability to summon a "spirit barbarian" to carry the sword
gaining druidic-like abilities (spells, not wildshape) around level 5 (the character has a special connection to wolves, so bonus points for anything like that.

Anything you guys have to offer (suggestions, ideas, etc) would be greatly appreciated!

I say for a good start for ideas is to look through the DMG and Unearthed Arcana(item familiars) which have loads of bonuses with intelligent items. I say for theme that it should be a ritualistic character that learns to awaken the spirits and ancestors in selected items by themselves(Ancestral relic could help as well.).