PDA

View Full Version : Blood Orcs (LA +2 Race)

Cipher Stars
2012-07-15, 11:30 PM
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/Cipherthe3vil/Bloodorc01.jpg
Blood Orcs
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/Cipherthe3vil/BloodOrcs02.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/Cipherthe3vil/Malebloodorccloseup.jpg
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i382/Cipherthe3vil/Malebloodorc.jpg

Blood Orcs are a rare subspecies of Orc. Blood Orcs are considered a race of their own, but are created from Orcs as a rare mutation in which the blood of other supernatural races become more prominent within them magically or naturally through mixed blood in the past. They do not always have to be born to Orcs, but can breed with each other normally to produce more blood orcs, though there is a 50% chance that the offspring will be a normal orc with the miniature template shown later on, and a 30% chance for the offspring to be a completely normal orc.
They posses origins traceable in part to dragons, and in part to the Efreet, having around 35% Efreet heritage, 15% Dragon heritage, 45% Orc heritage, and 5% Fey heritage.
Blood Orcs possess strong resistances to magic and the elements, and a special affinity for fire.
Blood Orcs are greatly desired among Orc and Half-Orc tribes, a Blood Orc child is given an especially harsh childhood to make them the strongest, and to lead their tribe or stronghold to greater glories. They are more heavily relied upon for mating, to reinforce the tribe with stronger blood. (LA+0 Template which grants spell and fire resistances = 1/2 level).
Blood Orcs, however, are pushed out of the stronghold or tribe when they reach adulthood as determined by the tribe (some tribes measure adulthood differently then others) in order to force them to gain worldy experience and grow stronger against the trials of the wilds away from the tribe. They are not to return until they are wizened, and battle hardened. Blood Orcs can return early if they spread their name far and wide with great renown, be it fame or infamy. When they return, they confront the chief for leadership of the tribe. This battle for the title, unlike normal battles for Chief, is not a fight to the death as losing a blood orc is considered several generations of cursed luck in addition to losing a valuable asset. If the blood orc loses, he or she is not allowed to return for ten more years at a minimum.
Female Blood Orcs never have to leave, but when they reach adulthood they can remain with the chief as first wife to focus more on breeding to produce strong young for the tribe.

Personality: Orcs are already a battle worthy race, strong and fit, often survival of the strongest among themselves. But Blood Orcs are given a tougher childhood, pushed harder then any other orc to become strong in order to defend themselves and produce stronger offspring. They have an innate intelligence to them greater then any normal orc however, coming from dragonblood inside them while efreet blood makes them wise. They have a sharp cunning and wit about them, and a mind for strategy and tactics that is enviable, and makes then better suited to leadership and reasonable, capable of logic on par with any elf. This also means they can be reasoned with easier then an orc, more capable of mercy and withholding their axes.
This makes Blood Orcs much more fearsome then an orc, as not only are they strong and can be cruel, but they can be strategic. Their cunning making them hard to trap or bait.
Blood Orcs tend to have keen breeding habits, from early ages being told that they'll make the tribe strong with their blood and produce many young. They are very free in this manner, having no inhibitions about mating so long as you are not an enemy.

Physical Description: Blood Orcs differ from normal orcs in that they look much more humanoid, much like the efreet and the traces of fey blood they posses. Male Blood Orcs, aside from their deep red skin, look like highly muscular men from the neck down. When you get to their head, Blood Orcs have bright blonde-yellow hair that seems to shine like the flame of the sun, though it does not produce any light as its merely a vivid color. They almost always have facial hair to match, growing facial hair at a relatively early age. They have slightly larger mouths with thicker lower lips to support the two large tusks that grow out of their bottom jaw. They have more orc-like noses though notably more human then a typical orc's. Their eyes seem to be steely grey orbs with no noticeable iris or pupil though they see perfectly normally. Female's are vastly more humanoid in appearance, and aside from their deep red skin can appear to be beautiful, but strong/toned women who's figure can compare to dryads and some nymphs though without the nymph's supernatural beauty enhancements they have.
They have fairly normal mouths, only a bit more full in the lips with two small tusks only slightly too big to hide away behind their upper lips if they were to try. Still. Their tusks are thinner, and more shapely then the more monstrous tusks of the males or normal orcs/efreet. Their hair is always a very dark red color, like dried blood, and their eyes look like deep spheres of solidified flame with thin pupils reminiscent of a dragon's own.
Females are considered to have stronger ties to their dragonblood while males are considered to have stronger ties to their efreet blood.

Relations: Blood Orc tribes, extremely rare for a tribe to consist mostly or entirely of Blood Orcs, are generally better accepted then normal Orc Tribes as they can be reasoned and negotiated with and aren't as war like. Thus they can live perfectly peaceably along side other races.
Blood Orcs otherwise share the same relations as standard Orcs do dependent on their tribes they are apart of. A solo Blood Orc can be potentially mistaken for an efreet or orc, and thus be considered a threat and may be mistreated based only on that fact. And indeed, a Blood Orc new to their solo travels after reaching adulthood (Comparatively, a base line would be a 14 year old male on human years and standards. Or a 12 year old female. (Note that I'm basing this with old medieval standards not modern. In the medieval, 12 or later was often an acceptable age. Blood Orcs have long life spans, so their actual physical age would be more like 150 while their cosmetic/visual age hits about 18 at a physical/literal age of 14 years)
A Blood Orc new to the world, having just been sent out on its own, would retain war like traits and violence as they've been raised with though still more reasonable then other Orcs. Thus they can get themselves in trouble.

Alignment: Blood Orcs are not inherently evil, but are often raised to be very chaotic neutral/neutral evil/evil in general. It is dependent on their development, just as a human would.
However. Blood Orcs do share an inherent desire to dominate, to lead, and to rule. This can manifest as tyrannical tenancies sometimes, and can make them be very prideful and stubborn, not easily bending to authority.

Lands: Blood Orcs can be found in the same lands as normal Orcs, but they have a chance to be found in other places more extreme and common to either efreet or dragons, rarely they can also be found in more fey like locations.

Adventures: Blood Orcs are sent out on their own at an early age, as soon as they hit what their tribe perceives to be the age of adulthood/maturity. They are sent out to the world simply to survive, become great, and see many battles. Blood Orcs are pushed by their pride and need to improve upon themselves to go out and undertake adventures easily. Highly uncommon, a Blood Orc may find love outside their tribe and remain out on their own, never returning to their stronghold or trying to bring them back with them (doesn't often turn out well unless the blood orc is strong and takes Chieftan title soon so no one else can say anything on the matter).

Blood Orcs
Humanoid
(M)+2 Str, +2 Wis / (F)+2 Con, +2 Cha
Speed: 30ft
Medium size: Blood Orcs don't have benefits or penalties due to size.
Special:
Blood Orcs have Fire immunity, spell resistance equal to 10 + their level, which is highly dynamic and can allow magic through if they wish or need it.
Blood Orcs have electric and cold resistances equal to 1/2 their levels.
Skill Bonuses: +4 Survival, +2 Climb, +2 Intimidate.
Automatic Languages: Common and Orc
Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, Undercommon, Draconic, Primordial, and any Elemental language.
Favored Class: Barbarian or Sorcerer
Level Adjustment: +2, or two racial hit dice (d10, Good Fort, Good Will, Poor Reflex, Good BAB. Use these instead of what the Type would say on these).

Blood Orcs never suffer penalties due to aging, but gain the benefits as shown here and not as generally given. Their average natural life span is 5,000 years of age, +1d20x100 years maximum age.
Adulthood = Varies. Generally this is at 12 for females and 14 for males (Cosmetically, they look 18 as their bodies mature quicker). 1,500 = middle age (+1 to one mental stat). 2,500 = old age(+1 to one mental stat). 4,500 = Venerable(+1 to one mental stat).
Though Blood Orcs have long life spans, they develop as almost as quick as a human. When a Blood Orc and a human are born at the same time, the Blood Orc will look around 18 years of age when its only been alive for 14 years. Female orcs mature even quicker, looking the same when they are 12.
Mentally, they have no improved development and it takes a long time to naturally increase mentality, which is scaled to their long lives starting at average adulthood (11-15) before slowing down.

Height:
Male Blood Orcs can be anywhere from 6'5" to 7'6".
Female Blood Orcs can be anywhere from 6' to 7".

Rainbownaga
2012-07-16, 02:57 AM
Gender disparity in ability scores comes with issues that I'd rather not touch on.

The racial hit dice makes a great option for melee classes: A fighter would actually benefit from this swapping a feat for better saves, fire immunity, energy resistance, and magic resistance (without the usual downside).

That said, two lost caster levels would be painful so this might actually add to balance.

By the usual rules of LA I wouldn't say this was a balanced race, however.

TuggyNE
2012-07-16, 04:17 AM
You have a couple of type irregularities: the odd change in hit dice/saves, which also substitutes for LA in a weird way, and two missing subtypes (Orc and Dragonblood).

I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea to provide scaling cold/electricity resistances, and I don't get why you don't just make them Fire subtype, cold vulnerability and all.

Finally, the lifespan is pretty amazingly long, which raises odd questions about population. How long did their dragon ancestors live, or the efreet?

Cipher Stars
2012-07-16, 08:26 AM
Finally, the lifespan is pretty amazingly long, which raises odd questions about population. How long did their dragon ancestors live, or the efreet?
Its long because dragons live twice that long and I'm fairly sure Efreet don't age if they don't want to.

Gender disparity in ability scores comes with issues that I'd rather not touch on.

Issue my arse. The males are more orc like and are always big and muscle bound while the females are more elf/human like and have tougher constitution, all that energy the males have going to muscle is turned inward to make existing flesh stronger.

The racial hit dice makes a great option for melee classes: A fighter would actually benefit from this swapping a feat for better saves, fire immunity, energy resistance, and magic resistance (without the usual downside).

Network
2012-07-16, 08:56 AM
Its long because epic dragons live twice that long and I'm fairly sure Efreet don't age if they don't want to.
Corrected for you!

That said, two lost caster levels would be painful so this might actually add to balance.
I disagree with this one. There's a reason why some people take the eldritch knight. Because at 20th level you still have 9th spells and a better BAB.

In fact, LA barely substitute to HD. Those racial HD are as strong as levels in fighter, and fire immunity and the stuff worth more than LA +2 anyway.

Cipher Stars
2012-07-16, 09:13 AM
Corrected for you!

Nuuuuu, Epic dragons are already that age. All dragons can age that long. Ancient /Great Wyrm and all that are just age categories like Adult/Old/Venerable. Just dragonstyle. So an epic Ancient dragon is...well... ancient. But a Wyrmling can look forward to living that long eventually, barring stray adventurers.

I'd like to expand on this race eventually... I really like it. I couldn't find a picture for a red/blood orc, so I made one in Skyrim instead. Dragonborn ftw. Like it a lot more then I thought I would.
Though in my game I can actually turn into a dragon :3

Zaydos
2012-07-16, 09:24 AM
Actually as written blood orcs do live longer than gold dragons, which are the longest lived non-epic dragons (clocking in at 4,400) also their average maximum age is 5550 years. Epic dragons have double length age categories, so an Ancient Epic Dragon is 1601 years old while an Ancient non-Epic dragon is 801 years old, and the rules on twilight place them (in this case a Force dragon) clocking in at... well the algorithm doesn't really function for them or any dragon that's not chromatic or metallic... or that reaches great wyrm at 2401 years... treating them as metallic dragons 7400 years doing the sensible thing and adding stuff to 2400 instead of 1200 makes it 8600. I will also note I hate the twilight rules.

Moving on to the rest.

They're stronger than drow (LA +2), but drow are well known as being a very weak LA +2 and are not really usable as a balance point because well official LAs and all. I'd say it looks good as LA +2, a little strong with the RHD option. I'm assuming this is made with LA buyoff in mind so the RHD has the cost of not being able to buy it off which is a decent sized cost, but normally I'd say the RHD one might need +1 LA but that would put it on the weak side.

Cipher Stars
2012-07-16, 09:34 AM
Actually as written blood orcs do live longer than gold dragons, which are the longest lived non-epic dragons (clocking in at 4,400) also their average maximum age is 5550 years. Epic dragons have double length age categories, so an Ancient Epic Dragon is 1601 years old while an Ancient non-Epic dragon is 801 years old, and the rules on twilight place them (in this case a Force dragon) clocking in at... well the algorithm doesn't really function for them or any dragon that's not chromatic or metallic... or that reaches great wyrm at 2401 years... treating them as metallic dragons 7400 years doing the sensible thing and adding stuff to 2400 instead of 1200 makes it 8600. I will also note I hate the twilight rules.

Moving on to the rest.

They're stronger than drow (LA +2), but drow are well known as being a very weak LA +2 and are not really usable as a balance point because well official LAs and all. I'd say it looks good as LA +2, a little strong with the RHD option. I'm assuming this is made with LA buyoff in mind so the RHD has the cost of not being able to buy it off which is a decent sized cost, but normally I'd say the RHD one might need +1 LA but that would put it on the weak side.

What? Hax. I remembered dragons living around 10,000... Still! Blood Orcs are rare and even when two get together assuming by chance their both Blood Orcs, they can still die out as most the time their offspring will be normal/enhanced orcs rather then blood orcs. Though with 5,000 years under their belt they'd have a lot of time on their hands to get frisky...

Still. I don't think I will shorten their lives. Elves can live into the thousands I believe, they've got a touch of eleven blood (Which fluffy/mechanically I use as a catalyst with the dragons blood to be a sort of glue to hold it all together, as Nymphs can mate with anyone and dragons can mate with anyone as well but its usually only through shapechanging and the offspring are the race of the nondragon, so fey blood helps tie these bloodtypes together)
Dragons are very long lived and can live twice as long...
Efreet I have no idea how they age but I'd assume they don't age if they don't want to, being wish granting entities of elemental fire.
So they've got a lot more long-lived blood then more finite blood, so I think 5,000 is alright. Besides, living for 5,000 years only has fluffy benefits but mechanically its the same as a human living for 75-100 years.

Grimsage Matt
2012-07-16, 09:42 AM
On the Dragon thing.... why not just say; Dragons are practicly immortal. To get maximum age, multiply their Age catagory by their HD, then Multiply that by 1000. Just about every myth would support it.

And that said, I like these orcs. PnP group needs a hording soon....

Network
2012-07-16, 10:07 AM
Yeah, ok, they live longer than dragons, but they also don't get the penalties for aging.

For this reason, abilities adjustments should be read as this :
(M) +2 Str, +3 Int, +5 Wis, +3 Cha / (F) +2 Con, +3 Int, +3 Wis, +5 Cha.
We'll say LA +1 for these adjustments.

I then suggest LA +2 for Fire immunity and spell resistance. Cold and electricity resistance, as well as skill bonuses, would be the ''Straight bonus'' of the race, and so won't deserve anything.

We end up as a balanced LA +3 race. If you want the racial HD thing, you can let the player change 1 LA for 2 rHD.

Deepbluediver
2012-07-16, 10:44 AM
Yeah, ok, they live longer than dragons, but they also don't get the penalties for aging.

I confess to not knowing the formula for +LA very well, but a net gain of +13 to your primary stats seems awfully high for LA +1, even taking the other attributes into account.

Personally, I think that any racial adjustments should be the same across any member of a given race; males and females all the same. These seem very little like standard orcs; just more of the usual half-humanoid, half-dragons-are-awesome.

Tanuki Tales
2012-07-16, 11:47 AM
I confess to not knowing the formula for +LA very well, but a net gain of +13 to your primary stats seems awfully high for LA +1, even taking the other attributes into account.

He's counting aging benefits, not base racial boosts.

Cipher Stars
2012-07-16, 01:21 PM

I then suggest LA +2 for Fire immunity and spell resistance. Cold and electricity resistance, as well as skill bonuses, would be the ''Straight bonus'' of the race, and so won't deserve anything.

We end up as a balanced LA +3 race. If you want the racial HD thing, you can let the player change 1 LA for 2 rHD.

I'd point out that a Blood Orc who is old enough to actually gain those benefits that is not at least level 15 by then is pathetic and will have severe social penalties or just be awkward in general to play. At at around 15+ level, who gives a shiz about the past level adjustment as most would be paid off by now in any case.

Temotei
2012-07-16, 01:33 PM
I'd point out that a Blood Orc who is old enough to actually gain those benefits that is not at least level 15 by then is pathetic and will have severe social penalties or just be awkward in general to play. At at around 15+ level, who gives a shiz about the past level adjustment as most would be paid off by now in any case.

The point is that you get free ability score bonuses for just saying "I'm old." There's no reason to lower your character's capabilities, after all, except for roleplaying, and then you come to the Stormwind Fallacy.

Giving it aging penalties would fix this problem. Otherwise, you have to compensate for the +3 to all mental ability scores, since everyone who plays the race is going to set their age as high as it takes to get that bonus.

Cipher Stars
2012-07-16, 01:47 PM
The point is that you get free ability score bonuses for just saying "I'm old." There's no reason to lower your character's capabilities, after all, except for roleplaying, and then you come to the Stormwind Fallacy.

Giving it aging penalties would fix this problem. Otherwise, you have to compensate for the +3 to all mental ability scores, since everyone who plays the race is going to set their age as high as it takes to get that bonus.

Then they are nothing/little more then Monkeys, if the game is not built to be directed at such antics.
I thought it was established in the past that I don't care about Monkeys. I try to never play with Monkeys (My brothers especially). and I don't go out of my way to bend my brewing to compensate for Monkeys. If a DM allows Monkeys, that's the DM's problem and. This post is directed at Monkeys. Not anyone in particular. Unless you are a Monkey.
The way the Blood Orcs are, they do not become cripple with age. They retain their health though they may gain a slightly more sage-like appearance, they retain their physique, no penalties to their strength, reflexes, or endurance. But it would not make sense for their minds to develop. This they don't gain penalties from aging, but retain benefits.
When I brew, I consider roleplaying. Not crunching little monkeys.

If any DM wants to use Blood Orcs in their game they should be sure they have a sane mind and can say no to a Monkey who wants to play a 5,000 year old Blood Orc just for the mental benefits. Chances are with that large window of time, plenty can go wrong. Karma builds and it is wholly likely that the Blood Orc does not survive until that time. Especially in world settings where cataclysmic events have happened, and over that time its likely there have been many wars or even hunts for Orc extinction.

Temotei
2012-07-16, 02:24 PM
Then they are nothing/little more then Monkeys, if the game is not built to be directed at such antics.
I thought it was established in the past that I don't care about Monkeys. I try to never play with Monkeys (My brothers especially). and I don't go out of my way to bend my brewing to compensate for Monkeys. If a DM allows Monkeys, that's the DM's problem and. This post is directed at Monkeys. Not anyone in particular. Unless you are a Monkey.
The way the Blood Orcs are, they do not become cripple with age. They retain their health though they may gain a slightly more sage-like appearance, they retain their physique, no penalties to their strength, reflexes, or endurance. But it would not make sense for their minds to develop. This they don't gain penalties from aging, but retain benefits.
When I brew, I consider roleplaying. Not crunching little monkeys.

If any DM wants to use Blood Orcs in their game they should be sure they have a sane mind and can say no to a Monkey who wants to play a 5,000 year old Blood Orc just for the mental benefits. Chances are with that large window of time, plenty can go wrong. Karma builds and it is wholly likely that the Blood Orc does not survive until that time. Especially in world settings where cataclysmic events have happened, and over that time its likely there have been many wars or even hunts for Orc extinction.

Monkey is an odd name to be calling people.

That aside, that's not the point. The point is that roleplaying and such take a backseat to balance when homebrewing. Obviously, this is your creation, so you can allow what you like.

Gnorman
2012-07-16, 03:25 PM
This is not your first race to do this, so obviously there's a pattern here (given your predilection for long-lived and quickly-developing races, it's only natural). But I have to ask:

If "Mentally, they have no improved development and it takes a long time to naturally increase mentality, which is scaled to their long lives," but they reach physical maturity at 12-14, how long do they spend as babbling, helpless children in adult bodies? Because if their mental development is scaled appropriately, at 12-14, they're roughly equivalent to a three-month old human. In a gigantic dragon-orc body.

Also, for the record - the maximum lifespan of an elf is, according to 3.5 Aging Effects table, 750 years. Not "thousands."

Tanuki Tales
2012-07-16, 03:26 PM
That aside, that's not the point. The point is that roleplaying and such take a backseat to balance when homebrewing. Obviously, this is your creation, so you can allow what you like.

While I do agree that roleplaying and fluff should take a back seat to balance, one must also keep in mind that the term "balance" is relative.

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-16, 03:27 PM
While I do agree that roleplaying and fluff should take a back seat to balance, one must also keep in mind that the term "balance" is relative.

One must also keep in mind that Cipher has a longstanding habit of selectively ignoring advice and flagrantly disregarding any kind of balance whatsoever.

Tanuki Tales
2012-07-16, 03:28 PM
One must also keep in mind that Cipher has a longstanding habit of selectively ignoring advice and flagrantly disregarding any kind of balance whatsoever.

And that Cipher also balances her stuff around a different mindset of things.

Cipher Stars
2012-07-16, 04:28 PM
Depends hugely on how it is presented.
Edit:
And if it feels I have any comment on the matter.

I'd also point out that their ability bonuses are also keyed to improve babymaking. Lol.
Orcs are all about good breeding. At least in my Mythos. Thats why only Chieftans get to have wives/children in general.