PDA

View Full Version : Powers

corran_132
2012-07-19, 11:04 AM
Greetings

So I'm working on my own system (right from scratch), and it's a super hero RPG.

The system is built on three pillars: your powers (basically point-buy, you get points as you level up to spend on your powers and let you do awesome things, limited by number and specialization by your background), talents (you get through your class as you level up), and skills (you get at first level and occasionally again, they level up automatically). There are four classes, and while some use some powers better, no power is restricted to one class or another. There are no ability scores.

The short version is this: any actual "super powers" are attainable through "powers". Skills let you do more mundane things, and talents make your powers better, but can't let you fly.

To that end, I have a list of (currently) 30 powers you can buy, with 4 more incomplete. Basically, I wanted to make sure my bases are covered, as I'm building this system to be robust. If you can think of any others I might need, I'd love to hear from you.

note: I have three defenses, single, area and effect.

Super powers: (powers that normal humans never can have)
Flight
speed
strength
resistance to damage
area defense and health
single/area damage/effect (4 powers)
enhanced senses
shape shifting (including to animals)
teliportation
telekinesis
channel element (water, electricity, fire)
invisible
ethereial
barrier
touch effect
psionics
fast healing

Others (I know I need to add, but not done yet)
time manipulation
size shifting and stretching
control animal/talk with animal
composition shifting (what are you made of)

Mundane powers: (powers that normal people could have)
Fear
leadership
single defense and initiative
effect defense and skills
weapon focus (one for each melee, ranged, and explosive and martial arts)
gadgets
arsenal (includes weapons and vehicles). Note: money is not a power, I've already pulled that out. Long story.

additional note: with the system, I have currently made most super heroes, Doctor Who, a space marine and James bond. It's meant to be versatile.

can anyone think of anything I'm missing? I feel like I'm missing something.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-19, 11:08 AM
Have you checked out mutants and masterminds? It's an RPG based on that idea as well. They have a GREAT list of superpowers you could use as reference!

corran_132
2012-07-19, 11:35 AM
I did at one point. I'll go back and check again.

Edit: went back and am checking it again. remember why I started building my system.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-19, 12:22 PM
I did at one point. I'll go back and check again.

Edit: went back and am checking it again. remember why I started building my system.

Hahahahaha. Yeah, there's some things. But it at least covers a lot of the powers, whether you like the way they do it...now that's something else entirely. Either way, super intelligence could be a mundane I'd say.

corran_132
2012-07-19, 12:34 PM
I thought about that, but one of the reasons I pulled out ability scores is to leave things like intelligence and charisma to the roll playing and skill checks. Effect defense power already gives a boost to skills (Called willpower in game), and being trained in a skill is now about a seven point swing (actually a little better than that). So yeah, don't roll to learn about social etiquette unless you actually know something about society.

I just prefer that if players want to play a character who is that clever, to actually do it. Besides which, that way they get to see the look on my face as they surprise me, and I don't have to penalize someone with a bad intelligence score for coming up with a decent plan. Also, that way I can watch the grand super hero who didn't think to take persuade get a drink thrown in his face.

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-19, 12:46 PM
I thought about that, but one of the reasons I pulled out ability scores is to leave things like intelligence and charisma to the roll playing and skill checks. Effect defense power already gives a boost to skills (Called willpower in game), and being trained in a skill is now about a seven point swing (actually a little better than that). So yeah, don't roll to learn about social etiquette unless you actually know something about society.

I just prefer that if players want to play a character who is that clever, to actually do it. Besides which, that way they get to see the look on my face as they surprise me, and I don't have to penalize someone with a bad intelligence score for coming up with a decent plan. Also, that way I can watch the grand super hero who didn't think to take persuade get a drink thrown in his face.

I see your point. I'll subscribe and lurk until I come up with some ideas. I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

corran_132
2012-07-19, 01:48 PM
No problem. Thanks for your help.