PDA

View Full Version : NWN+OotS: A Match Made in the Upper Planes?

malonkey1
2012-07-21, 06:45 AM
I've been playing the old game Neverwinter Nights (If you are unfamiliar, it's a Bioware game based on D&D (3.0/3.5?) and set in the city of Neverwinter (to start) in the Forgotten Realms setting. While the main campaign's story was rather weak, especially for a Bioware title, the real Author's Saving Throws were the rich, well-written expansions and the incredibly in-depth custom content tools provided for creating player-made adventures. They pretty much released their development tools with the game. One great thing about the CC tools they provide, is that it lets you change close to everything.

And I was wondering...if I made a campaign based off of OotS, who here would play it? (I'm talking NWN1, mind you, I don't have a copy of NWN2...unless somebody wants to buy me one? *Makes giant puppydog eyes, +2 to Persuade*) It'd probably be very easy to pull together the Dashing Swordsman class in NWN...Make their Charisma mod to attack as a toggle that makes the character say something from a predetermined list of witticisms? Maybe...

Hazzardevil
2012-07-24, 05:40 AM
I suppose this would be good, there's just the issues of getting Rich's Permission to use OOTS and making the characters look right.

Flickerdart
2012-07-24, 08:45 AM
NWN2's editor is, I've been told, a lot worse than NWN's, so you may want to stick (hah, get it?) with the original.

J.Gellert
2012-07-24, 03:02 PM
The NWN2 editor is heaps more advanced than that of the first game, if one bothers to learn it. It doesn't even come close - and it's the main reason I can't go back to NWN1, ever.

To the original question, I would play it, if it were good. Too many times I have thought about this myself, although for me it would be a GitP Persistent World set in Greysky City.

Hazzardevil
2012-07-24, 04:54 PM
The NWN2 editor is heaps more advanced than that of the first game, if one bothers to learn it. It doesn't even come close - and it's the main reason I can't go back to NWN1, ever.

To the original question, I would play it, if it were good. Too many times I have thought about this myself, although for me it would be a GitP Persistent World set in Greysky City.

Where's Greysky City? I don't recall the name.

Edit:
OOTS spoilers, I don't really need to do this but just to be sure:
It's where Haley came from and Belkar got cured of his Mark of Justice.

malonkey1
2012-07-25, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I'd probably end up using a modified PRC/CEP pack, simply to encompass all the possible classes.

Eldariel
2012-07-25, 08:33 AM

NWN2 engine is **** for modding tho. NWN1 it's easy to do stuff like Psionics, Martial Maneuvers, etc. But in NWN2, it's, not quite impossible but extremely limited. Also, NWN2 engine is horribly buggy (these bugs even plague The Witcher which was built on the same engine). The editor is cool but the hard limitations come fast.

LokeyITP
2012-07-26, 08:37 PM
As someone who has done large projects in both games, nwn2 is hands down far superior for dev purposes. The very few things that people have been able to crack/hack/replace in nwn1 and haven't in 2 wouldn't apply here. NWN1 dev tools out of box are more stable and have better help grandmom make her first dungeon dialogs, but many things that are great are horrible out of box :) It's simply no contest.

Now if I didn't loathe playing the nwn2 client...