PDA

View Full Version : Teleport around the battlefield and hit stuff! [3.5 PEACH]

QuantumTsochar
2012-07-22, 03:07 PM
General Intro
I've been lurking around the homebrew section for some time and I've read many cool classes that can teleport, like the Elocator or the Teleporter (see the homebrew compendium for links). However, they didn't see to fit my image of a guy that can hop around the battlefield. So, I decided to throw my hat into the mix and make my own

Edit log

-Added increases to movement speed
-Moved Improved Distortion up
-Now Jumping Mastery allows for multiple jumps
-Changed references to jumping to teleporting
-Now sections of space can be targeted in the default distortion ray ability! Now, you can destroy a table or saw it in half!
-Changed Distortion Armor to increase ac every 2 class levels instead of 4, to copy inertial armor
-Added Tumble and Balance to class skills
-Added Save DC. Oops....
-Upped HD from d6 to d8

I'm aiming for tier 3, so PEACH accordingly. Below each class feature, there is a spoiler that has my thoughts on the feature. So, on with the class!

The Warp Touched

General fluff: It doesn't matter what I write here. You'll probably come up with your own fluff.

HD: d8
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fortitude|Reflex|Will|Special|Max Jump Distance|Speed Bonus
1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Distortion Hop, Distortion Strike, Distortion Armor +4, Distorted Speed|10|+0'
2|+1|+0|+3|+3|First to Strike +1|10|+0'
3|+2|+1|+3|+3|Distortion Ray, Distortion Armor +5|20|+0'
4|+3|+1|+4|+4|Evasion, Uncanny Dodge|20|+0'
5|+3|+1|+4|+4|First to Strike +2, Warp Marked (1), Distortion Armor +6|30|+10'
6|+4|+2|+5|+5|Distorted Gravity, Distortion Zone +1d6|30|+10'
7|+5|+2|+5|+5|Baneful Arrival, Jumping Mastery, Distortion Armor +7|40|+10'
8|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|First to Strike +3, Improved Distortion|40|+10'
9|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Improved Evasion, Distortion Zone +2d6, Distortion Armor +8|50|+20'
10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Warp Marked (2)|50|+20'
11|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|First to Strike +4, Time jaunt I, Distortion Armor +9|60|+20'
12|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Distortion Zone +3d6, Improved Distorted Gravity|60|+20'
13|+9/+3|+4|+8|+8|Warp Pounce, Distortion Rush, Distortion Armor +10|70|+30'
14|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|First to Strike +5, Portal (Large), Time jaunt II|70|+30'
15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Warp Marked (3), Distortion Zone +4d6, Distortion Armor +11|80|+30'
16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Portal (Huge)|80|+30'
17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|First to Strike +6, Time jaunt III, Distortion Armor +12|90|+40'
18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Portal (Gargantuan), Distortion Zone +5d6|90|+40'
19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Planar Jump, Boundless Jump, Distortion Armor +13|100|+40'
20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Warp Scarred, Warp Marked (4), Portal (Colossal), Time Jaunt IV, Unstoppable Teleportation|100|+50'[/table]
Skills: 4+int
Autohynosis, Balance, Climb, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Planes), Knowledge (Geography), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Spot, Swim, Tumble
Proficients:All simple and martial weapons. A warped touch has no armor or shield proficiencies, because armor/shields cannot travel with him when he teleports.

All save DCs are 10 + 1/2*class levels + Int mod

Distortion Hop(Ex): The warp touched's signature ability. As a move action that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity, the warp touched can teleport in any direction. The maximum allowed teleportation distance per level is indicated in the table above. If the space is occupied, the warp touched is harmlessly displaced into the nearest open space. A warped touch does not need to see a location to teleport to it.

By default, nothing but clothing (including gloves, amulets, rings, etc) goes along with the warp touched. By spending an hour with a container or weapon, the warp touched can attune the item to his dimensional energies, allowing the item to travel with him. (Mechanically, no allies, enemies, armor, or shields go with the warp touched when he teleports. Teleporting with full plate and a tower shield seems odd to me. Instead, you get distortion armor).

Dimensional anchor and dimensional lock do not stop the warped touched from teleporting. When under the effects of dimensional anchor, the warped touch can only teleport 10ft. When in the area of effect of dimensional lock, the warp touched can only teleport 10ft and is denied any class feature based on distortion hop. When the warped touch leaves the area of effect of a dimensional lock, he is affected by dimensional anchor with CL equal to the CL of the dimensional lock.
The warp touched's bread and butter. The teleportation distance progression was directly lifted from the Jumper class. Unlimited teleportation might turn most DMs off to this class, but I think by hitting the class in HD and armor restrictions make up for it. If not, oh well.

Distortion Strike (Su): A warped touch can channel the distortion caused by his teleportation to greatly augment his blows. The first melee attack that hits after the warp touched uses distortion hop does an extra 1d6 per 2 class levels distortion damage. Distortion damage is half electric damage and half untyped damage. The warped touch can only make one distortion strike per round. If the warp touch does not hit anything this round, the distortion strike is wasted.
I got this idea from The Radiant. I was just going to make this a martial adept that teleported, but I gave it this ability and figured that I didn't need martial stuff anymore.

Distortion Armor (Su): After using distortion hop, the distorted space around the warped touch makes him harder to hit. He gains a deflection bonus to his AC and a penalty to ranged attacks as indicated on the table above for one round. This bonus AC does not stack with the armor bonus of armor or shields.
I wanted to give this class some ability to mimic armor because I couldn't see a highly mobile class like this one slugging around in armor. I put the penalty to ranged attack in the feature to stop a warp touched from grabbing a bow and becoming a super archer

Distorted Speed (Su): A warped touch gains a bonus to his movement speed according to the table

First to Strike: The warped touch gets a +1 bonus to initiative. This increases at the 5th, 8th, 11th,14th and 17th level.

Distortion Ray (Su): At level 3, the warped touch learns to channel distorted space to harm his enemies. As a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the warped touch can make a ranged touch attack on a creature within 30ft. If the attack hits, the creature is dealt 1d6 per 2 class levels distortion damage. Any unattended object can be targeted by this effect as well, taking 1d6 per 2 class levels distortion damage and having its hardness reduced by 5 for every 5 class levels (minimum 5) for one minute. The hardness reduction of multiple distortion rays does not stack, but instead refreshes the timer on the effect. Magical items are allowed a fortitude save to negate the effects of distortion ray. A 5ftx5ftx1ft section of space, such as a segment of wall or the floor, can be treated as an object for this ability. A warp touch needs to have line of sight and line of effect to target an object or creature. A warped touch cannot use distortion hop and distortion ray in the same round.
Once again, the radiant shines through! The reason why I had this ability interfere with distortion hop is the same reason why I had distortion interfere with ranged attacks: unlimited teleport + ranged = no-no. Also realize that by using distortion ray, you don't get distortion armor. I put in the rules about walls and objects because I've played both the chozo warrior and the radiant before in my current campaign, and each time I've managed to convince the DM that I could use their abilities like a welding torch to cut holes into walls and destroy objects. I figured that I should put rules in for when I use this ability to cut a hole though the eventual impenetrable castle.

Evasion: As the class feature

Uncanny Dodge: As the class feature

Warp Mark (Su): At level 5, a warped touch can mark enemies so that he may find them later. When a creature is dealt distortion damage, a warped touch can declare that creature marked. A warped touch knows the exact location of a marked creature if the creature is within one mile of the warped touch. A warped touch can teleport to any marked creature he can sense as a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. If a warp marked creature is killed by distortion damage, it can only be raised or resurrected by true resurrection, wish, or miracle. A warped touched can only have one creature marked at a time at level 5, but this number increases by 1 at the 10th, 15th, and 20th level.
I got this from the Infernal Monster discipline and the Maleficant Heart discipline. I loved the ability of the Maleficant Heart's final maneuver to kill something for good, and the Infernal Monster's ability to hunt down people. I thought that these two powers would fit this class very well.

Distorted Gravity (Su): A warped touch can focus his abilities to distort space to defy gravity. A warped touch can distort the space around him so that he can move up vertical surfaces and along liquids. A warped touch cannot use distortion hop and distorted gravity in the same round, but using distorted gravity counts as using distortion hop for all class features.
Elocator fix ftw! I didn't get to level 6 in my campaign, but I looked forward to being able to parkour up walls like a super ninja. I thought that giving Up The Walls to this class as a feature would be a good idea

Distortion Zone (Su): The distorted space around a warp touched's arrival site has now become dangerous to all nearby creatures. When a warped touch teleports to a location by using one of his class features, all creatures and objects within a 5ft area of the arrival location are dealt 1d6 distortion damage. This damage is increased by 1d6 every three levels after this one. The warped touch can choose to suppress this effect when he teleports. A creature can only be affected by this ability once per round.
Once again, elocator fix. By combining this feature with distortion blade, a warped touch can hit a creature for +15d6 distortion damage, which is at max +90 damage. Given that a diamond mind martial adept can do an extra 100 for its final maneuver, I figure that this amount of extra damage is okay.

Baneful Arrival (Su): At level 7, a warped touch is no longed instantly displaced if his arrival location is occupied. If the warped touched teleports into an occupied location, the creature or object is hit by the warp touched's distortion ray. If the warped touched teleports into solid, non-living matter (like the ground or a thick wall), an area with the exact shape of the warp touched is treated as an object for this ability. If the object is not destroyed, then the warped touch is harmless displaced. Creatures can only be affected by this ability once.

Teleportation Mastery (Su): A warped touch can now seamlessly integrate jumping with his natural movement. A warped touch can now teleport and move in the same move action. He can also make multiple jumps per move action. However, he cannot move more than his natural movement speed in this way, even if he could jump further than his movement speed. For example, a level 11 warped touch with a movement speed of 30ft can teleport 60ft, but if he chooses to walk 5ft first, then he can only teleport 25ft in the same move action. He can also teleport 10ft south, 10ft east, and 10ft up, but not 60ft.
Now you can walk and teleport! I put the movement restriction to prevent players from moving their movement speed - 5ft and then jumping the max jump distance. You can also break your teleportation up

Improved Distortion: A warped touched's ability to distort space has improved. A warped touch can now bring willing creatures with him while teleporting and he can have any willing creature be affected by his distorted gravity as long as he maintains contact with the creature. A warped touch can also target a 5x5x5ft area with his distortion ray, but he needs line of sight and line of effect to target the area.

Improved Evasion: As the class ability

Improved Uncanny Dodge: As the class ability

Time Jaunt (Su): At level 11, a warped touch can now jump in time as well as space. Once per encounter, as an immediate action, a warped touch can jump forward in time one round. The jump distance increases by one at the 14th, 17th, and 20th level.

Improved Distorted Gravity (Su): At level 12, a warped touch's ability to distort gravity is improved. A warped touch can now move on any solid surface as if it were the ground. He also treats liquids as if they were solid surfaces. He can now use distortion hop and distorted gravity in the same round, but he cannot move more than his movement speed (see Jumping Mastery).

Warp Pounce (Su): A warped touch can now make a full round attack after using distortion hop.
Melee and pounce go together well

Distortion Rush (Su): As a full round action, a warped touch can use his ability to distort space to reek havoc on multiple enemies or burrow through solid objects. The warped touched moves in a straight line for his maximum teleportation distance, treating any object or creature struck along the path as if they were hit by distortion ray. Creatures are allowed a reflex save to negate damage, while magical items are allowed a fortitude save. If the warped touch ends this movement in an object or creature, he is harmlessly displaced to the closest open space along the path he previously traveled. Creatures can only be damaged by distortion rush once. A successful reflex save does not make a creature immune to distortion rush, as they were not hit by the effect.
This comes from the chozo warrior. This ability gives a warp touched an effective burrow speed.

Portal (Su): At level 14, the warped touch learns to make portal networks to allow for long range travel. By focusing on a 5x5x5ft area within close range for one uninterrupted minute , the warped touched can create a portal in space. When a portal is created, it attempts to connect to any unconnected portal within one mile per class level. An unconnected portal is just, for all purposes, just a point of distorted space. When two portals connect, they allow for any willing creature or object up to the size category indicated on the table to travel through them. A warped touch can only have eight portals open at any given time. If the warp touched tries to open more than eight portals, then the oldest portal is destroyed.

Planar Teleportation (Su): The warped touch can now Plane Shift as a full round action at will. The warped touched has no chance of missing his location

Boundless Teleportation (Su): The warped touch can now use Greater Teleport as a full round action at will. He can also sense the exact location of all warp marked creatures as long as the creature and the warp touched are in the same plane.

Unstoppable Teleportation (Su): Dimensional Anchor and Dimensional Lock no longer interferes with the warp touched's class features.

Warp Scarred (Su): A warped touched can now declare any warp marked creature warp scarred. This is just like warp marked, except that any warp scarred creature brought down below 0 hp by distortion damage are killed instantly and cannot be raised or resurrected by any means, even divine beings.
This is from the Maleficant Heart's final maneuver. If you think about it, this ability really doesn't do anything except make killing Big T and other regenerating things easier. This ability really messes with a DM that likes to have a lot of resurrecting baddies though. But at level 20, I think a player has earned the right to make sure that a bad guy stays dead.

QuantumTsochar
2012-07-22, 05:47 PM
Made some edits. I'm also open to possible class abilities. I'm thinking of giving distorted gravity an invisibility effect that upgrades to greater invisibility with improved distorted gravity, but I'm not sure of the class balance. If the invisibility ability is not too bad, I might upgrade it at level 16-20 so that it beats true sight as long as the warp touched doesn't do any action. If it does, then he becomes visible to true sight for 5 rounds.

bobthe6th
2012-07-23, 01:28 PM
I do like it, I almost want to make a full new psionic system with it, the telekentisist, and some other simaler things...

before the PEACH, some more general points: I feel the class is a bit restrictive. It seems more like a build then a real class... though some ACFs could fix that...

now PEACHing

typo, the HD is still d6... and I agree with d8, as this is a mobile melee fighter.

Saves seem ok. 2 good saves balenced by a lack of fort, which is importent for a lot of melee

3/4 BAB is good enough, as this is focused on its special abilities.

will finish in a bit...

Darkening
2012-07-24, 09:09 PM
you say it's proficient with all light and martial weapons. that should be simple, not light. If you say light someone's going abuse this to get a bunch of exotic light weapons lol. Love the class, might use it sometime. About baneful arrival, does the warp touched get displaced if a creature in the space doesn't get killed? because the phrasing is a little unclear.

QuantumTsochar
2012-07-24, 10:34 PM
you say it's proficient with all light and martial weapons. that should be simple, not light. If you say light someone's going abuse this to get a bunch of exotic light weapons lol. Love the class, might use it sometime. About baneful arrival, does the warp touched get displaced if a creature in the space doesn't get killed? because the phrasing is a little unclear.
Thanks for spotting that mistake. I'm currently in the middle of revamping the class so that it uses an augment system. Check back in a day or two. As for baneful arrival, you don't get displaced if the creature/object is destroyed. I'll change it so that you can choose not to use the ability, so that you don't accidentally teleport into a building's pillar and have it collapse on top of you

Deviston
2012-07-26, 02:58 AM
Warp Mark: Allows him to teleport at level 5 up to a mile away? Assuming no other detection preventing factors occur. I like it personally, but have doubts concerns as to its balance.

The class feels a little campy. Reminds me of a warlock (btw, my fave class of all time with this one following in a close second lol). Could it perhaps have some more class skills to select, and one would have the ability to choose from them? As one gains a new feature in the chain, old ones improve, or select old ones improve.

For example:
At level 3 you may select from these abilities
Leech Field (move speed reduction to enemies after a hop), Blurred Hop (20% miss chance the round of hop), Several Others
At level 6 you may improved a previously selected ability or gain a new one
Vampiric Field (move speed reduction, gain temp HP's base on damage dealt, no target more than once per 24hrs), Misdirecting Hop (gain a false image of you that functions like mirror image in any square adjacent to your destination for 1 rouns), Better Several Others, Brand New One That Is Appropriately Stronk (some may even have prerequisite abilities, ability chain options ya know)

Just a thought. Picking new abilities, and/or leveling up old ones has always been my favorite way of classes to go.

I love this class tbh, teleportation and lots of it is a blessing! You can NEVER be too mobile. As for taking things with you, I find this a little clunky. If you take the Improvised Weapon feat, does that stop you from picking up ANYTHING and bringing it with you as an improvised weapon? I would say that weapons can't channel Distortion Strike unless they have the hour meditation thing. Same with other items, let them use armor if they want to blow proficiencies on it, or do level dips. Because it's hard (imo) to designate armor as a thing you can't teleport with you.
"Teleporty Thingy, this isn't ARMOR per se, it's just a very hard jacket."
or
"Wait a sec Teleporty Thingy, are you telling me I can't teleport with this slightly thick leather outfit? So what if it's 'armor', I'm not wearing it!"

I'm thinking something like, "The field of your Distortion Armor is very concentrated the closer it is to your body. Half of the AC bonus granted by Distortion Armor is treated as an armor bonus due to this heavily concentrated state."