PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions -- iPhone

Alias
2012-07-23, 09:28 AM
About a year ago I bought this game and posted here about how the game was un-playably buggy. 2 patches have been issued since then and the game has been restored to fully playable. There remains one curious music bug that I've reported, but since I was able to come up with an exact way to cause it to happen I'm pretty sure the programmers will be able to track it down quickly (those sorts of bugs I know from personal experience are the "easy ones")

One of the patches replaced all the fonts in the game to a set that are sharper and more crisp which was welcome. The sprites still get a bit grainy but not enough to make the game unpleasant to look at.

The game remains $15 which is high for an iOS game. Still I love this game and have put in hundreds hours on both versions, so money over time played it's a steal I think.

MLai
2012-07-27, 08:07 PM
The new translations are the best writing I've ever seen in a video game. :smallsmile:

SiuiS
2012-07-29, 09:02 AM
Haha. Saw this topic in passing and came back today. Spent a good hour combing the games (other) section for it before decidin to check here :smallwink:

That's pretty hefty for an iPhone game... But.

1. Is it a faithful reproduction? Because I got kinda nitpicky about the drop in quality from FFT to FFT advance...

2. Did they fix the job points glitch? Not sure if that carried over to War of The Lions or not, but still curious.

If 1. Is anaffirmative I'll definitely buy it. Final Fantasy Tactics ranks as my most played game of all time. I'd like to try it again, see if I've gotten over my burnout.

Kobold-Bard
2012-07-30, 06:26 AM
Haha. Saw this topic in passing and came back today. Spent a good hour combing the games (other) section for it before decidin to check here :smallwink:

That's pretty hefty for an iPhone game... But.

1. Is it a faithful reproduction? Because I got kinda nitpicky about the drop in quality from FFT to FFT advance...

2. Did they fix the job points glitch? Not sure if that carried over to War of The Lions or not, but still curious.

If 1. Is anaffirmative I'll definitely buy it. Final Fantasy Tactics ranks as my most played game of all time. I'd like to try it again, see if I've gotten over my burnout.

I have the iOS edition, and while I never played the original I'm told it is faithful to the original WotL version.

Diego Havoc
2012-07-30, 05:08 PM
This sounds interesting. I liked FFTA and A2, so I'd like to give this a shot. How easy/hard is it to control on a touch screen though? That's usually what I consider when I get iphone games.

Anarion
2012-07-30, 06:22 PM
I would be interested in this as well. Same question as Diego Havoc. I played FFTA and FFTA2 a fair amount, but wouldn't want to buy this unless the iPhone control isn't frustrating.

Also, does it require that your phone be connected to the Internet and/or send a bunch of data while playing? I'm on a very limited plan at the moment, so that would be a problem.

Kobold-Bard
2012-07-30, 06:28 PM
It can be a little fiddly to start with (as you would), but once I got the hang of it it was fine.

And no, it's all internal so you aren't using the internet; wifi or otherwise. It does eat through your battery though; or at least it does on mine, which is admittedly kinda old & not as healthy as it once was so that may just be me.

I can't say much on the story because I haven't gotten very far in at all since I got caught up obsessively levelling up all my team members. But what I've seen was good.

Devonix
2012-07-30, 07:13 PM
It can be a little fiddly to start with (as you would), but once I got the hang of it it was fine.

And no, it's all internal so you aren't using the internet; wifi or otherwise. It does eat through your battery though; or at least it does on mine, which is admittedly kinda old & not as healthy as it once was so that may just be me.

I can't say much on the story because I haven't gotten very far in at all since I got caught up obsessively levelling up all my team members. But what I've seen was good.

It's War of the Lions of course its good. WoTL is one of the best FF stories ever.

Gnoman
2012-07-30, 09:52 PM
This sounds interesting. I liked FFTA and A2, so I'd like to give this a shot. How easy/hard is it to control on a touch screen though? That's usually what I consider when I get iphone games.

The gameplay is somewhat similar, though there's no racial classes (as there's no races). The storyline is far darker, involving a bloody succession war, court intrigue, and world-ending demons.

SiuiS
2012-07-30, 11:14 PM

Good question. I actually hadn't considered that... Oops.
Well, for fifteen USD I'd expect it to work well.

the leveling and customization is addictive in ways I've never truly found since.

The story is one of the best I have ever come across in any final fantasy game, even any RPG. More, the levels of interaction and intrigue are my template for any successful D&D game that's not superpowered. It's worked phenomenally well when you can get the players on board.

The class system starts you off as squire or chemist, and you gain XP which boosts your level (up to 99) and your class level (up to ten I think). Certain job levels unlock new jobs, much like the GBA version, except you also spend your JP to buy skills from a list instea of grinding with items equipped.

Tactics had some translation issues, like summoning Rich during the incantation to summon a lich. Or having three different spellings for excalibur war of the lions fixes the links, corrects the spelling, tightens up a few exploits, and adds a few fun things like the onion knight class.

-

Man. If this pans out I really hope this works as a platform. Te iPhone has its limits, but $15 is a good price to pay for a game, an honest to goodness complete game that works? I'd like for that to be a continuing thing.

MLai
2012-07-30, 11:36 PM
Tactics had some translation issues, like summoning Rich during the incantation to summon a lich. Or having three different spellings for excalibur war of the lions fixes the links, corrects the spelling, tightens up a few exploits, and adds a few fun things like the onion knight class.
If that's all the updated edition did, I wouldn't even care. But it does a lot more than that.

The original game had an average Jpn-Eng translation. You can understand all the dialogue well enough.

The updated PSP version not only has the pretty cutscenes, but all dialogue is updated to Shakespearean level. And I don't mean comic book medieval English cliches like throwing "thou art" everywhere. When I say Shakespearean I mean Shakespearean. I don't know who the writer for the PSP edition is, but he/she is that good. The Youtubes for the cutscenes alone don't do it justice; all the dialogue in the entire game is updated that way, AFAIK.

Diego Havoc
2012-07-31, 05:58 AM
Wow, you guys are selling this well! Sounds like a great game. I'll pick it up once I know if I'm going to upgrade my phone or not, which should be soonish.

Tactics had some translation issues, like summoning Rich during the incantation to summon a lich.
I am now imagining summoning Rich Burlew in the middle of a battle and having him crush my enemies.

Awesome. :smallamused:

Anarion
2012-07-31, 06:05 AM
I'm pretty sold on this one, and not planning on replacing my current iPhone for a while at least, so that download will be happening. When I'll actually play the game I don't know, but I'm going to download it.

Also, we need some fan art of a Rich Burlew summon crushing our enemies. Would he appear as a giant and simply stomp them, or would he unleash various artistic images that would flood the battlefield with his characters or something?

SiuiS
2012-07-31, 06:08 AM
I think we should send Thanqol a video of the summon and a copy of this conversation along with a "pretty please~?"
http://i.imgur.com/EvxT1.png

Fluttering our eyelashes couldn't hurt.

Diego Havoc
2012-08-10, 07:31 AM
Just got a chance to play this.

If you're using an iPhone 3G I don't recommend this unless you don't mind playing in slow motion. 11 Down the drain. :smallsigh:

Kobold-Bard
2012-08-10, 08:15 AM

If you're using an iPhone 3G I don't recommend this unless you don't mind playing in slow motion. 11 Down the drain. :smallsigh:

Really?

I've got the 3GS an it's never had a problem with that.

Diego Havoc
2012-08-10, 02:22 PM
Took me over half an hour for the first fight, and the controls were sometimes unresponsive. And sometimes the sound would cut out.

In retrospect, I really should have checked the required specs for the game, but I didn't think to, because it's a phone, y'know? If it's in the app store it should work. I didn't realise there was such a gap between the different versions, but it does indeed say for 3GS and later.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to play it should I ever have the money to upgrade in the future.

SiuiS
2012-08-10, 04:18 PM

Really?

I've got the 3GS an it's never had a problem with that.

Interesting. I have that problem with my 3GS but I know why.

Sir Havoc, what all do you have on your phone? In theory, backing up your files in iTunes, reinitializing your phone and then redownloading everything (in priority order) should be about the same as a defragmentation on a PC, but I'm not sure.

Also, what's the necessary difference? I'll kelp out with your upgrade, if you're willing to wait for me to have something I can pretend is disposable income :smallwink:

In the meantime, I'm still accumulating the spare $15 in an account that I can use for purchase, and I'll have to scrap all my other games. I'm already at the point where having played Peggle or PvZ in the last hour slows my Internet to a crawl.

Diego Havoc
2012-08-11, 04:53 PM
Sir Havoc, what all do you have on your phone? In theory, backing up your files in iTunes, reinitializing your phone and then redownloading everything (in priority order) should be about the same as a defragmentation on a PC, but I'm not sure.
I've never thought to try that. My phone is nearly full too. I'm just not sure that will help. As I said, the game seems to require 3GS or later.

Also, what's the necessary difference? I'll kelp out with your upgrade, if you're willing to wait for me to have something I can pretend is disposable income :smallwink:
I think it's about 200 (over $300) for a 3GS. If you're willing to help me out with that, I'd appreciate it. :smallwink:

SiuiS
2012-08-11, 06:10 PM
I've never thought to try that. My phone is nearly full too. I'm just not sure that will help. As I said, the game seems to require 3GS or later.

I'll try out the concept and let you know how much improvement I see. Better than nothing, yeah? You could also go into options and turn off some visuals but that hurts the game I feel.

I think it's about 200 (over $300) for a 3GS. If you're willing to help me out with that, I'd appreciate it. :smallwink:

Hmm. How do you feel about a used one? It might be more economical that way, except Apple designs their products to fall apart. A see model wouldgofor pretty cheap, I think, or it you're willing to wait ... X months (need to talk to Braz >_>; ) I can just wipe the unit I have now and send it over. I don't think there's a big hardware difference. And at that point it's free, allowing you to save up for whatever next big purchase you want.

Stars and Fire I still owe Vbob a tablet too, and I saw him today. Would have remembered if I didn't get to bed so late/up so early...

Anarion
2012-08-11, 06:14 PM
In addition to defragging, have you tried closing everything else that's running? The iPhone by default keeps every app that you've ever touched open and you need to double tap the home button to see a list of open programs, then hold down on one of them to bring up the red Xs so you can close everything. It might help.

SiuiS
2012-08-11, 07:06 PM
In addition to defragging, have you tried closing everything else that's running? The iPhone by default keeps every app that you've ever touched open and you need to double tap the home button to see a list of open programs, then hold down on one of them to bring up the red Xs so you can close everything. It might help.

Can you perform this to verify? That function has only ever deleted said apps from my dock, and I'm paranoid about... Actually, I can check. Safari cannot be deleted, so if safari has a red X then you are indeed correct.

... Sweet baby unicorns that must have taken up enough RAM that Diego Havoc's phone was suffering for being in proximity in the last six months...

Kato
2012-08-11, 07:46 PM
I'm not personally familiar with the remake (only the regular PSX version) but from what I heard the slow game speed is a common problem due to some bad programming that... I don't know... Uses too much RAM or doesn't use enough RAM or whatever...
But the translation is... if not better much more fitting, if one can handle it. Though I can't say anything about the controls... how hard can it be to port a PSX game to the IPhone?!
But in general regards... FFT is epic and one of the best, allthough time consuming games ever created. 15 bucks is pretty much free if you can handle the slow battles. (To be honest... I could even use some faster battle speed in the original, so no way I'd get myself to try it... putting aside the not owning an iphone bit)

Hey look, I didn't rant against IPhones!

SiuiS
2012-08-11, 10:39 PM
I'm not personally familiar with the remake (only the regular PSX version) but from what I heard the slow game speed is a common problem due to some bad programming that... I don't know... Uses too much RAM or doesn't use enough RAM or whatever...
But the translation is... if not better much more fitting, if one can handle it. Though I can't say anything about the controls... how hard can it be to port a PSX game to the IPhone?!
But in general regards... FFT is epic and one of the best, allthough time consuming games ever created. 15 bucks is pretty much free if you can handle the slow battles. (To be honest... I could even use some faster battle speed in the original, so no way I'd get myself to try it... putting aside the not owning an iphone bit)

Hey look, I didn't rant against IPhones!

I followed the remake fanatically when I still had potential access to a PSP. It fixed some issues, irreverent grammar, made wait idyl new cutscenes, and added some candy to boot - two new classes.

The battles also weren't that slow, I thought. Except the planning phase but this was a turn based RPG after all.

Diego Havoc
2012-08-12, 05:09 AM
I'll try out the concept and let you know how much improvement I see. Better than nothing, yeah? You could also go into options and turn off some visuals but that hurts the game I feel.
No visual options available for the game unfortunately, but it was a good suggestion.

Hmm. How do you feel about a used one? It might be more economical that way, except Apple designs their products to fall apart. A see model wouldgofor pretty cheap, I think, or it you're willing to wait ... X months (need to talk to Braz >_>; ) I can just wipe the unit I have now and send it over. I don't think there's a big hardware difference. And at that point it's free, allowing you to save up for whatever next big purchase you want.

Stars and Fire I still owe Vbob a tablet too, and I saw him today. Would have remembered if I didn't get to bed so late/up so early...
I guess I wouldn't mind a second hand model from someone I trusted. I would never buy a second hand phone online, for example. People have a habit of selling their phones, then reporting them as stolen to get insurance money. Then you end up with a locked phone. :/

Double-tapping home didn't work. It just turns on the camera. In the settings I can make double-tap go to camera, ipod, search, home or favourites. Is there any other way to find this list of open programs?

SiuiS
2012-08-13, 02:35 PM
I guess I wouldn't mind a second hand model from someone I trusted. I would never buy a second hand phone online, for example. People have a habit of selling their phones, then reporting them as stolen to get insurance money. Then you end up with a locked phone. :/

Huh. Well, I know that apple stores sell returned models. That's more what I meant. I too am Leery of folks who try to pass off trash as a good buy.
I apparently used my free upgrade back when my phone broke, so I don't have an easy out. Depending, it may actually be cheaper for me to help you with an upgrade than do so myself. Regardless, we are looking at a six-month time frame unless I get a second/better job; I've spent 32 hours at work, several days of 12 hours, no lunch, no breaks, no overtime, barely above minimum wage. And this is them treating me well, as they took bonycon as a chance to cut my hours. Though admittedly, I deserved it.

Double-tapping home didn't work. It just turns on the camera. In the settings I can make double-tap go to camera, ipod, search, home or favourites. Is there any other way to find this list of open programs?

The latest software update (as in, within five months. I'm behind myself!) has a function where double tapping the button opens up a 'dock' showing programs, and I you flick to the left it shows... Well, lemme take a picture.

Example Picshttp://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/WizardPony/examples/0742AFC7-D4C1-4C84-AC72-9D5E292BDEF2-2635-0000032F0F44B910-1.jpg

My last three programs (aside from iLunascape)!

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee468/WizardPony/examples/54B1BED8-DE08-487C-8F5B-049DDEC97A28-2635-0000032F089B0F7F-1.jpg

The left-flick, with music player and portrait lock. One not elect flick is volume control.

And in that dock, closing the program can happen. I'm not sure what the setting would be, as it was default with the upgrade. If you can lock your phone into portrait mode, you have access.

Diego Havoc
2012-08-13, 04:54 PM
Huh. Well, I know that apple stores sell returned models. That's more what I meant. I too am Leery of folks who try to pass off trash as a good buy.
I apparently used my free upgrade back when my phone broke, so I don't have an easy out. Depending, it may actually be cheaper for me to help you with an upgrade than do so myself. Regardless, we are looking at a six-month time frame unless I get a second/better job; I've spent 32 hours at work, several days of 12 hours, no lunch, no breaks, no overtime, barely above minimum wage. And this is them treating me well, as they took bonycon as a chance to cut my hours. Though admittedly, I deserved it.
:smalleek: Yikes. That sucks.

Well, no rush. I'm not that desperate to play this game. I have a huge backlog of steam and PS3 games that I still need to play. :smalltongue: I'll look into 2nd hand phones from the Apple store though, just in case there's a good deal.

The latest software update (as in, within five months. I'm behind myself!) has a function where double tapping the button opens up a 'dock' showing programs, and I you flick to the left it shows... Well, lemme take a picture.

And in that dock, closing the program can happen. I'm not sure what the setting would be, as it was default with the upgrade. If you can lock your phone into portrait mode, you have access.
Alas, I just looked it up, and the 3G doesn't support those features. Everything seems to need 3GS or higher. :smallfrown:

Edit:
The RiM:S2E and iLunascape apps intrigue me! Tell me more. (since I'm guessing they're pony related, perhaps port that over to Ponythread)

SiuiS
2012-08-13, 06:00 PM
Alas, I just looked it up, and the 3G doesn't support those features. Everything seems to need 3GS or higher. :smallfrown:

Edit:
The RiM:S2E and iLunascape apps intrigue me! Tell me more. (since I'm guessing they're pony related, perhaps port that over to Ponythread)

Man, ouch. Well, then I don't know how to close out apps.

iLunascape seems pony but is not. It is my preferred web browser, and works much more like a desktop browser than a mobile one. I can actually browse YouTube for one!

RiM is from Topaz' link. Long and short of it is they set up the game web pages to function like an app; if you bookmark it and set it to appear on the desktop or whatever it's called, it can be accessed even offline. Which is totally cool.

Hmm. Guess we are out of iPhone War of The Lions discussion >_>;